Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:

I think you have to look at this from the perspective of an iPhone or other multitouch interface. Obviously, if you are mouse driving on a standard desktop or laptop device, then folders on the dock may be just as useful.

However, if you are driving with multiple fingers on a touch screen (as per an iPhone or something else) then the functionality of having you options arc out as on the Stacks screen shot "seems" to offer a better interface.

cheers

Greg

I think you're right. At first, what threw me off was not seeing any folders in this tier system, but that doesn't mean that they don't or won't appear. I do like that you see a preview of each item, which is nice. But yes, we do have to see this being used "down the road" sort of speak. Apple has a way of introducing something like this, then incorporating it into something that has more tangibles to it, like the iPhone. One thing that I am still interested in though, is how folders are going to play into this. Do they fan out as well? Will we be able to see "deep-dive" folders (as in my example image above)? Will we be able to have stacks within stacks? Aaah, the many questions in an Apple forum . . . .
  • Reply 142 of 150
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

No no, in last years presentation on ichat in Leopard Steve clearly described and showed a remote desktop feature being built-in to ichat. Apparently that is not present in this built. Would be a real shame if they have axed that because it would really be a usefull feature to remotely help configure, say, your parents mac.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Yeah, I've been doing it for now as well. But, there are some differences (albeit minor ones at first glance). The only one that I can see (at least for now) is that in Leopard, each item has a preview icon image, so you see exactly what the item looks like, unlike the generic application icons you get now. The one thing I like about the current way I have it set up, is that you can really dig deep within a folder. Every example I am seeing in the Leopard demos, is a folder of just items, no folders within folders, etc. See examples below.

There can be folders within folders.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

There is still a screen sharing feature in iChat. It's not part of iChat Theater though - which makes sense.
  • Reply 145 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I forgot about thos announcements, and yes, they are huge announcements. Finally, Apple is pushing games. Now all we need -- this may bea few years off -- are exclusive, AAA titles that are must have, for the Mac platform.

But something else that should have been announced -- are there any improvements to OpenGL, and does Apple have any plans to support Direct X 10. Because the latest cards that do support Direct X 10 usually give a better performance, this according to an old PC Mag that actually reviewed a Mac Pro against other, similar machines (based off of Windows, of course).

At any rate, what Apple did (or id/EA, at least) are the first steps of getting gamers. But it's not the only step.

Apple is fully committed to OpenGL. OpenGL 2.1 is highly optimized and fully implemented in Leopard via the use of LLVM.

OpenGL 3.0 is still in final spec review so it's not obviously implemented.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#graphics

Apple has no support for DirectX 10. They are an OpenGL integrated environment.

Most OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 10 graphics cards are about to get an update: EFI support.

Why? Microsoft Vista SP1 will have Intel EFI built-in.

http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi/efi.htm

EFI Presentation: Spring 2007

http://download.intel.com/technology..._ENG_Spr07.pdf

Quote:

Windows Support for UEFI
    • Microsoft plans to introduce native UEFI support in

Windows Server codename Longhorn and Vista SP1
      • Microsoft is committed to enabling both Server and Client

platforms

• For direct questions to Microsoft use [email protected]

• Windows Server codename Longhorn supports UEFI

2.0 or later specification on all 64-bit platforms
      • For Itanium® platforms Windows Server codename Longhorn will

continue to support EFI 1.1 but UEFI 2.0 is recommended

Systems that implement WHEA Error Record Persistence using

• EFI Variable Services require UEFI 2.1 implementation

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...uefiguide.mspx

*I've updated the microsoft uefiguide link reference as they've changed their site since this presentation.

How is this important?

Apple uses EFI only Device Driver Video GPUs. Most of the nVidia and ATi cards have yet to make their cards hybrid and thus be backward compatible with non-EFI based systems and EFI ready systems.

That's going to change with Vista SP1 coming out.

This change will make more cards accessible to OS X Leopard and Tiger.
  • Reply 146 of 150
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Apple didn't steal transparency from MS. MS copied it from NeXTstep, the father of OS X.

Moreover, transparency is here since 10.1 at least.

EDIT: OK, it is actually since Mac OS X 10.0.
  • Reply 147 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Moreover, transparency is here since 10.1 at least.

EDIT: OK, it is actually since Mac OS X 10.0.

Actually, it's been there since Developer Preview 3.
  • Reply 148 of 150
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

No, I think it's remote control (or shared control, really)

Quote:

Thanks to iChat screen sharing, you and your buddy can observe and control a single desktop with iChat, making it a cinch to collaborate with a colleague, browse the web with a friend, or pick plane seats with your spouse. Share your own desktop or your buddy?s ? you both have control at all times. And iChat automatically initiates an audio chat when you start a screen sharing session, so you can talk things through while you?re at it.

• Reply 149 of 150
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

I thought I saw an Apple demo of iChat where you could have a feature where you could control a friend's Mac via iChat (ala Remote Desktop). I specifically remember the Apple guy talking saying in the demo "How many of you out there have parents that always need help with their Mac's but have a hard time showing them how to do certain things?" [...] Can someone verify if this feature will be on the Leopard iChat? Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.