Apple's iPhone to wirelessly stream YouTube content

124678

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 141
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drmoto View Post


    If you have Wifi coverage, chances are you have a computer nearby. Why on earth would you use the tiny screen then? Wifi on a phone hence makes little sense to me. I realize it may make a lot of sense for some people, but if I have a multimedia device I don't want to hunt for a connection to use the multimedia.



    3G coverage through AT&T is a joke. I actually have the service through AT&T's "broadband connect" and we have coverage pretty much around our offices and a little down the freeway. In many other places, even right along major freeways, it is impossible to connect reliably at all - even at slow speeds.



    Blame Apple for being too cocky and not working something out with Verizon or Sprint, who both have EXCELLENT 3G coverage nationwide.



    Video over EDGE is a joke though. H.264 quality per kilobit is not that much better than the new Flash video formats. Apple pushes H.264 because it is well integrated into OS X, to advance its Quicktime penetration, and so that it doesn't have to deal with Adobe as much, whose Flash performance on Mac is still lagging significantly behind Windows imo.



    First there are plenty of times when you could use wifi on a phone EVEN if you are near a computer ... WORK. This is how you can do some personal business without needing the office pc.



    Second, I like Verizon the best where I am, but 3G is not necessary for some of this stuff. Email, SMS, etc. are fine at low bandwidth and streaming video is too much for 3G anyway. The only real thing that I think is hurt is the mapping app while driving around. i would think ATT probably would slow this down.



    Third, no one is going to download music on their phone in any great volume. Wait to do it in iTunes.



    Last, H.264 is not just about keeping QT in the mix, though that is a good idea, it is about the ability for H.264 to scale from iPhones to Macs to maybe HDef. It should become the standard and it is up to Adobe to get FLASH up to better standards if it wants to go beyond animation and crappy YouTube. That means porting the thing to run better with CoreAnimation, etc. Devices are fast enough now where almost any codec should be able to translate to others almost in real time. Video over EDGE may be a joke, but it is not meant to be the primary means of watching video in the first place.



    My Verizon contract will be up about the time AT&T upgrades its system and the bugs get worked out of the first 100,000 iPhones.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    You mean, standing in a crowded Starbucks, shoulder to shoulder with people you don't know, who are constantly looking over YOUR shoulder at your screen?



    Since the average Starbucks has no more than about 9 seats, with the biggest, and also the most crowded, having no more than about 18, your chance of getting a seat with that cup of coffee is slender, at best.



    Whoa, that has to be most negative attitude I have come across today. Truth to be told I have visited only one starbucks in my life, not living in states and all. Those were mere examples where it would be nice to be able dl directly from iTunes and wifi is present. Here in Finland for example there are some municipal tryouts to cover whole cities with wifi connection, also street cafes(no starbucks here) are slowly opening their access points to visitors. Of course wifi coverage is not nearly as good as it is with cellular networks (2 X ~99% of whole country), but when it's there why not use it?
  • Reply 63 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post


    First there are plenty of times when you could use wifi on a phone EVEN if you are near a computer ... WORK. This is how you can do some personal business without needing the office pc.



    Second, I like Verizon the best where I am, but 3G is not necessary for some of this stuff. Email, SMS, etc. are fine at low bandwidth and streaming video is too much for 3G anyway. The only real thing that I think is hurt is the mapping app while driving around. i would think ATT probably would slow this down.



    Third, no one is going to download music on their phone in any great volume. Wait to do it in iTunes.



    Last, H.264 is not just about keeping QT in the mix, though that is a good idea, it is about the ability for H.264 to scale from iPhones to Macs to maybe HDef. It should become the standard and it is up to Adobe to get FLASH up to better standards if it wants to go beyond animation and crappy YouTube. That means porting the thing to run better with CoreAnimation, etc. Devices are fast enough now where almost any codec should be able to translate to others almost in real time. Video over EDGE may be a joke, but it is not meant to be the primary means of watching video in the first place.



    My Verizon contract will be up about the time AT&T upgrades its system and the bugs get worked out of the first 100,000 iPhones.



    I would never encourage someone to use a work connection for personal business unless they know that their company has specifically said that it was ok.



    Not only have people been fired over that issue, but the courts have affirmed that the company can determine what their network can be used for, and that they have the right to disallow personal usage.



    Once that option is gone, WiFi becomes much less interesting.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post


    Whoa, that has to be most negative attitude I have come across today. Truth to be told I have visited only one starbucks in my life, not living in states and all. Those were mere examples where it would be nice to be able dl directly from iTunes and wifi is present. Here in Finland for example there are some municipal tryouts to cover whole cities with wifi connection, also street cafes(no starbucks here) are slowly opening their access points to visitors. Of course wifi coverage is not nearly as good as it is with cellular networks (2 X ~99% of whole country), but when it's there why not use it?



    We have Starbucks almost every other street in Manhattan. All are small. Most all are full, all the seats taken, and have lines at the counter. There are even lines for the bathroom. How should I feel?
  • Reply 65 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    We have Starbucks almost every other street in Manhattan. Most all are full, all the seats taken, and have lines at the counter. There are even lines for the bathroom. How should I feel?



    I'm sorry you have to queue for your java, It rarely happens here so I couldn't foresee that it was touchy subject, Here we have plenty of unpopulated forest with excellent cellular data connections and I guess soon wifi connections as well, if you ever consider change of scenery
  • Reply 66 of 141
    Some companies actually want you to use their Wifi. Of course not for anything illegal, but they want it to be used. The company I'm currently employed for is such a company.
  • Reply 67 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post


    I'm sorry you have to queue for your java, It rarely happens here so I couldn't foresee that it was touchy subject, Here we have plenty of unpopulated forest with excellent cellular data connections and I guess soon wifi connections as well, if you ever consider change of scenery



    Not to mention, much better coffee than they serve at Starbucks.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    Whoa, that has to be most negative attitude I have come across today.



    A virtual taste of New York City
  • Reply 69 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post


    3G coverage is a joke.



    Only in the US.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post


    You should be able to use Skype soon. Someone will write Skype for iPhone soon. REAL SOON.



    Until Apple releases REAL development tools for the iPhone that's not going to happen.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I would never encourage someone to use a work connection for personal business unless they know that their company has specifically said that it was ok.



    Not only have people been fired over that issue, but the courts have affirmed that the company can determine what their network can be used for, and that they have the right to disallow personal usage.



    Once that option is gone, WiFi becomes much less interesting.



    So the office would rather you use the office pc and phone to do personal business?!
  • Reply 72 of 141
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Why scale down you tube when we could get the who ****ing site and alot more with the addition of flash and java.
  • Reply 73 of 141
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Apple chose EDGE because it's readily available in the US



    Apple chose WiFi because many media packages (at least AT&Ts plan) only allow 5 MBs of transfer via EDGE before additional charges occur. Thusly, when the phone can pick up a WiFi signal, it will default to the free source of connectivity.



    Many places offer free WiFi, hotels, work, coffee shops, schools, libraries at home etc. I WILL be using the device in the home because that's just what I do. I watch full movies on my iPod while lying in bed with my computer right next to me, only because it allowed me to toss and turn as I pleased without have to keep the television in my eyesight.



    Also note that the iPhone isn't just the internet. It's more an iPod at heart than anything. No it's a phone you say? I don't believe that. Because in the end, the Phone iPod, or iPod that has a Phone isn't as catchy and sweet as the iPhone.



    Lastly, Apple like EarthLink. EarthLink trials can be found on a new mac (at least when I bought mine). Earthlink is partnering with the city of Philadelphia to create a WiFi city for just 20 some odd bucks a month. So soon, I can go anywhere in this city and use my internet connection.
  • Reply 74 of 141
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    Why scale down you tube when we could get the who ****ing site and alot more with the addition of flash and java.



    Because the resolution is better and the resources are smaller. QT for H.246 and no need for Flash or java. Not my choice, but it is a logical choice for the first version.



    Do you mean to tell me that the Flash and java implementations on other smart phones are really all that great? I have only seen a few smart phones and they didn't look very good or fast.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    Why scale down you tube when we could get the who ****ing site and alot more with the addition of flash and java.



    Java... Flash... ugggh... I would love to see both of those hogs obsolete once and for all.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Are you guys sure you aren't confusing JavaScript with Java? They aren't synonymous. I am certain that JavaScript is on iPhone's Safari, that is the "J" in the AJAX, what is needed for Web 2.0 web sites. I don't think YouTube uses Java.
  • Reply 77 of 141
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    Java... Flash... ugggh... I would love to see both of those hogs obsolete once and for all.



    The real point is that they arnt. Two many sites use them now to just completly ignore them. I dont think that the iPhone can change this either as how many sites will completly redesign themselves just for the iPhone?
  • Reply 78 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Let's just say that WiFi coverage is spotty at best. With cellular data, at least you don't have to worry about your data source every few hundred feet. Open hot spots are insecure, and under almost all circumstanses, it's a pain to enter keys for the encrypted hot spots, assuming that you can get the keys.



    3G certainly doesn't have that great of coverage right now, but where it is, it's more consistent, and it has far more potential than WiFi. Citywide WiFi meshes so far have been unsatisfactory and impractical that I've heard.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Jobs doesn't agree. He believes that as you would have to sync what's on the phone to the computer anyway, you might as well download it from there in the first place.



    He does have a point. But, I think he also understands, as I pointed out, that downloading a song over EDGE won't be a friendly experience.



    Perhaps, next year, if 3G comes to the phone, that will change.



    3G in Europe and Asia and Australia is far outstripping WiFi or WiMax in terms of reliable all-the-time coverage. Agreed. Asia will most definitely have a 3G iPhone in 2008. IMO.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post


    I'm agreeing with you about wifi coverage versus cellular coverage, but how about sitting in startbucks sipping coffee, your phone could use that time to dl song over wifi, or airport lounges waiting for your next flight, wouldn't it be nice to have fresh tunes for your next flight?



    Yes, this will be nice. Not yet though, until 3G in the US is really developed well over the next few years.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    Java... Flash... ugggh... I would love to see both of those hogs obsolete once and for all.



    True enough. Flash can be done well, and it has its uses. Java I wish would just frucking DIE ALREADY PIECE OF SH*T [email protected]@#[email protected]#[email protected] Arghghghghghghg.



    Anyone that has extensive Flash development, while championing the format for certain websites, will see the disadvantages it has for the iPhone (Apple Apologist attitudes or not).



    Anyone remember WAP? Now that's a real joke. Safari on iPhone is at least better. Full browser support, maybe down the line.



    I mean, we'd never thought a Mac could run IE7 for Windows side by side Safari on a practical day to day basis, no?
  • Reply 79 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    ...as how many sites will completly redesign themselves just for the iPhone?



    Those that care about the iPhone user base. Those that don't, will be better to use since the Flash ads and banners (vertical or horizontal) won't load



    Right now with Safari 3.0 (it's actually quite stable) I can see the AppleInsider site well without any pop unders/ pop ups which used to plague me for a while when using Firefox.



    On an iPhone the AppleInsider site will look better because no Flash Ads...
  • Reply 80 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Despite that, flash is still the most important standard on the web for the purpose it has.



    Apple could, and should have, solved this problem by buying Macromedia when they put themselves up for sale, instead of letting it go to Adobe.



    I think Apple would have definitely very seriously thought about Macromedia. However, with its longer term plans vis-a-vis (spelling?) iPhone, iTunes, Leopard, etc, too much to handle going into 2009/2010.



    The most important thing around Macromedia selling time was Adobe and Macromedia software being solid Universal Binaries, which they pretty much are now. CS3 is WAAAAY, like a million times plus one, more stable than CS2 Rosetta. The designers in our office pretty much stopped complaining about their iMac 17" Core2Duos (our budget not that huge) since I requested 2GB RAM for them, and more so no complaints and more productive since the bosses encouraged install of CS3.



    Santa Rosa iMacs and dropping 2GB RAM prices will see some kickass iMac 20" 4GB RAM machines. Run Parallels, have many CS3 apps open at once, plus browsers, chatting, office (2008!! arrghh come already), etc etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.