I'm Not Getting an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face

I think you are looking at the iPhone from the wrong angle. Yes, its primary feature is being a phone, but it is actually a new type of device that is just emerging. I think Apple is smart for not trying to duplicate features found in the other phones because that would put Apple in a position of playing "catch-up", just like the makers of digital music players tried to do when they thought they could have an online music store + music player combo. Where are they now?

Apple is not worried about what other phone makers are doing because they are too busy thinking outside the box. The iPhone will eventually get GPS, the ability to record video, download directly to the device, etc. but only after it makes sense to do it.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    asi202asi202 Posts: 3member
    I'm BEYOND EXCITED about the iPhone but i have a similar issue but just one - BUDGET \ i will be saving for it though and hopefully by the time i get one, i would have heard more about its pros & cons(which i don't think it will have much cons). Guess will have to wait and see .
  • Reply 43 of 105
    I've been lurking, mainly observing.

Here is my reason for not getting it. The required 2 year service extension. I have had Cingular/AT&T For 3 years now, and I am done with them. I just renewed my contract about 6 months ago, and I don't want to go any longer. Quite frankly, the only reason I stuck it out this long was for the long awaited iPhone, which I now can't even purchase.

Yes, the service is good, and I can make phone calls pretty much anywhere, however:

1) I am billed about $400-$500 dollars extra every month, which takes 4 hours on the phone with customer service only for them to tell me they made a mistake and will be crediting my account.

2) The representatives of the customer service have been nothing but rude, and are not willing to be respectful in any fashion.

The fact of the matter is, If AT&T learned anything about customer service, and stopped billing way more than what we are accountable for, then I would sign in a heartbeat. However, since they won't allow me to pay a retail value along with activation and data plan coverage, I will not be purchasing an iPhone. I am sure other phone manufacturers will come out with something nice soon enough, I just pray that the Prada isn't the best we can do..
  • Reply 44 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why?

1. It's not in my summer budget

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

3. Storage totally inadequate. 4GB? 8GB? That's a joke, Apple. I can put a few movies and some of my music. Not good enough.

4. The rush of users is going to overwhelm the system for activation and temporarily, usage. Just my opinion.

5. I have doubts about the first rev of a product from Apple. I've never bought one. Period.

6. No flash support.

7. No wireless sync

That's the list of deal breakers for me. I realize it's not comprehensive, like the "iPhone Doesn't Have It" thread. Those are the ones that I need to see corrected (the budget, though listed first...well we know that would be placed aside!).

I have but two responses:

1) Good for you.

2) Who cares.

• Reply 45 of 105
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I think what he meant is the total cost of the phone plus the plan after two years.

For example, a 4GB iPhone with a 1350 minute plan at $99/month would total $2,875 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

The Motorola Q (with the rebates on Verizon, priced at $229) with the same 1350 minute at $122/month would total $3,157 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

(The $122/month includes the first and cheapest text messaging package and detailed billing. Just as you would have on the iPhone.)

Only a $282 difference, but I'd take the iPhone anyday over the Q.

Regardless, I know this is only one example. But hey, at least it's something...

1. The plan is a separate cost. I'm talking the price of the device.

2. Even conceding the contract inclusion, it's still a premium-priced product. My RAZR cost me $175 and $55 a a month. If my contract was up it would have been $75 and then the contract. The iPhone is $600....as much as 12x as much as a standard phone. Even decent phones are free with a contract now. And they have voice dial...I guaran-damn-tee you.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Yes I can if they're on AOL. I don't know if there's an easier way but the AOL account as a number I can use to send the message to and it shows up as from my phone number.

See Guybrush Threepwood's reply. I'm neither. I just look at total cost of ownership, not price. The price is a salesman's trick.

1. That's not exactly what I'd call "chat" capability.

2. Then you won't mind paying for my phone. I'll pick up the contract. No worries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have but two responses:

1) Good for you.

2) Who cares.

Then don't respond, Mr. Spam.

• Reply 47 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

2. Even conceding the contract inclusion, it's still a premium-priced product. My RAZR cost me $175 and $55 a a month. If my contract was up it would have been $75 and then the contract. The iPhone is $600....as much as 12x as much as a standard phone. Even decent phones are free with a contract now. And they have voice dial...I guaran-damn-tee you.

Go and try one out. It's easy to dismiss the iPhone based on a weak spec here(Edge) and a missing spec there(replaceable battery, additional storage), but the device is truly greater than the sum of it's parts( I know I sound like a broken record). I was going to wait for version 2 but since I tried one out at the ATT store that ain't gonna happen.

If you try it out and don't like then it's not for you.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Didn't Yogi Berra say that?
  • Reply 49 of 105
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Voice dialing is a puzzler to me-- it seems like such an easy, natural way to extend the functionality of the iPhone.

I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. Voice dialing is more trouble than it is worth. The technology isn't good yet. You have to try multiple times sometimes. You have to concentrate on enunciating. This is telling me that the UI isn't good, and I'm not sure it will ever be useful UI mode outside of a few specific applications. I just dial with my hand now, and I drive a manual. And I use a Treo 650 to boot.

Who knows, maybe its because of the LG phones my wife and father have and I've developed bias due to it. They have a side key that activates driving mode. And boy is it easy to activate. It's pretty much automatic when my wife puts it in here purse. My father has big clumsy hands and he's taken to holding the phone by the antenna. Once it gets into driving mode (voice UI), it's inane! And its damn near impossible to switch it off because of menu confusion.

I'm sure Apple had hundreds of features it wanted to implement, but as is always with engineering project, one has finite resources and finite schedules. Things have to be left out of the final build. I'd imagine voice dialing fell below the line along with MMS.

Also, remember the philosophy. Apple isn't implementing a cell phone, it's re-inventing it. That means a lot of features need justification. Is voice dialing really that much of a UI enhancement to warrant implementation? Is MMS that much of an enhancement (especially when email is available).

Quote:

The whole point of the iPhone is that it is entering a market crammed to the brim with "feature" packed phones that the vast majority of users have no idea how to access, much less use.

Feature nerds always clamor for more, always dismiss Apple's offerings as "toys" because they don't have enough slots or buttons or dongles or lights. They always think that whatever they like is the critical feature, the one that will doom the product to irrelevancy and toy status, because all the cool kids want it.

Yup. The phone market is currently in a rage of featuritis.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    Quote:

I haven't either. That said, you're talking about much more battery usage than you are with a regular phone. And while I've not had an issue, I have heard of many iPod battery problems. It's different in my mind because while I use my iPod lightly or even moderately, I charge it maybe once a week or every two weeks at maximum. The iPhone is going to be cycled constantly. It's going to sit in your car on a trip. You'll be on the phone a lot and then plug it in at night. It's a different animal. Again..not a deal breaker, but noticeable.

I think the battery issue is overblown. I've been charging my cell phones every night ever since I've own them, and never had the need for replacing my battery. Statistically, I think people with battery problems will be quite a small fraction. Battery problems will exist for the iPhone, like everything with a battery has, but it'll be a pretty small fraction.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

It's $600. Show me a phone that is $600. Or even $500.

Do you really want me to answer the question? Or are you thinking phones offered by US cellular companies only?

Quote:

What has your experience been like? I am ready to tell VZW to shove it up their ass, but I hear ATT is no better. My biggest problem is dropped calls, delays in signal processing (resulting in "talking over" each party) and inconsistent mobile web (which is pathetic on VZW, btw).

There's no magic to cell phone quality. Every company has the same problems, it just various with geography, the state of the upgrade and maintenances, blah blah.

One thing about iPhone though. I thought Safari on EDGE was very very very good. (Don't expect miracles.) Even Youtube was reasonable on EDGE. Again ymmv.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Quote:

Of course you were. Nevertheless, it still may not matter in the long run.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    SIM card on the iPhone is an AT&T 3G, could be a sign of of improvements planned by AT&T. \
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Go and try one out. It's easy to dismiss the iPhone based on a weak spec here(Edge) and a missing spec there(replaceable battery, additional storage), but the device is truly greater than the sum of it's parts( I know I sound like a broken record). I was going to wait for version 2 but since I tried one out at the ATT store that ain't gonna happen.

I'm not dismissing it. I'm sure it is greater than it's sum. But some of my predictions have been accurate...like activation problems due to the initial surge. It's also still not in my budget and I have to finagle my way out of my contract. I still think I'm waiting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. Voice dialing is more trouble than it is worth. The technology isn't good yet. You have to try multiple times sometimes. You have to concentrate on enunciating. This is telling me that the UI isn't good, and I'm not sure it will ever be useful UI mode outside of a few specific applications. I just dial with my hand now, and I drive a manual. And I use a Treo 650 to boot.

Who knows, maybe its because of the LG phones my wife and father have and I've developed bias due to it. They have a side key that activates driving mode. And boy is it easy to activate. It's pretty much automatic when my wife puts it in here purse. My father has big clumsy hands and he's taken to holding the phone by the antenna. Once it gets into driving mode (voice UI), it's inane! And its damn near impossible to switch it off because of menu confusion.

I'm sure Apple had hundreds of features it wanted to implement, but as is always with engineering project, one has finite resources and finite schedules. Things have to be left out of the final build. I'd imagine voice dialing fell below the line along with MMS.

Also, remember the philosophy. Apple isn't implementing a cell phone, it's re-inventing it. That means a lot of features need justification. Is voice dialing really that much of a UI enhancement to warrant implementation? Is MMS that much of an enhancement (especially when email is available).

Yup. The phone market is currently in a rage of featuritis.

It can be done well. It's not a deal breaker for me, because I have a BT built-in in my 07 Camry. It's voice system is remarkable. You actually have to speak the numbers or name normally as opposed to slowly/more enunciated...otherwise it basically asks you what the fuck is wrong with you. But really...it's proof it can be done in a very usable way. Oh, and I agree...the LG voice system is terrible.

Quote:

I think the battery issue is overblown. I've been charging my cell phones every night ever since I've own them, and never had the need for replacing my battery. Statistically, I think people with battery problems will be quite a small fraction. Battery problems will exist for the iPhone, like everything with a battery has, but it'll be a pretty small fraction.

Remember though, it's not a cell phone. It has many more battery draining functions. We'll see. My ipod has been good so far, but that's with light use. Cell batteries usually downgrade for me within a year or two. I've had the same luck with laptop batteries.

Quote:

Do you really want me to answer the question? Or are you thinking phones offered by US cellular companies only?

Whatever. I don't know anyone who even spends $300 much less $600. No one spends more than that. No one. If you can show me some examples, then do so. Anything you could find would be negligible anyway, at least in terms of units sold. The iPhone is a premium priced product. Apple has essentially said this in that they are going after the premium-user/prosumer/techo geek market.

We can have a pissing contest if you like, but the iPhone is a premium priced product. It's a waste of energy to argue otherwise.

Quote:

There's no magic to cell phone quality. Every company has the same problems, it just various with geography, the state of the upgrade and maintenances, blah blah.

One thing about iPhone though. I thought Safari on EDGE was very very very good. (Don't expect miracles.) Even Youtube was reasonable on EDGE. Again ymmv.

1. I agree with that. It seems everyone has the same experience. My Dad has had all kinds of problems with Sprint hardware (actually..their software being incompatible with moto hardware) My brother had ATT years ago and hated it. VZW is pretty much shit. Dead spots everywhere, even in this suburban area no far from the city.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Of course you were. Nevertheless, it still may not matter in the long run.

Yes, it matters. It's more money per month than I pay now, and the device costs about 5x as much to begin with. It matters.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    I bought one. EDGE speed is fine. ATT wireless does a credible job. Bottomline - iPhone performs as advertised and is fun to use !
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

I bought one. EDGE speed is fine. ATT wireless does a credible job. Bottomline - iPhone performs as advertised and is fun to use !

I was at the mall today and tried one at Apple King of Prussia, PA. I must say I am blown away at the thing. It works even better than advertised. My four year old daughter was resizing photos. Everything works amazingly well...I even found typing easy.

Still waiting...but the is seriously cool...I have to admit.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Haha SDW, resist the RDF!
  • Reply 57 of 105
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. Voice dialing is more trouble than it is worth.

I have to disagree- even when my phone is being balky about recognizing my commands (only on the bluetooth speaker I use in the car and then not that often- I have to make sure the windows are up and the radio is muted- my headset is fine) I think it's still better to able to hit the button and say "Call. Bob. Mobile" rather than trying to dial from a screen, If I could do this on my V710 and can do it on my KRZR, I am not going to pay not to do it on an iPhone. Nobody in 2007 should be releasing a phone that's this pricey that takes your eyes off the road- it's a no brainer.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:

It can be done well. It's not a deal breaker for me, because I have a BT built-in in my 07 Camry. It's voice system is remarkable. You actually have to speak the numbers or name normally as opposed to slowly/more enunciated...otherwise it basically asks you what the fuck is wrong with you. But really...it's proof it can be done in a very usable way. Oh, and I agree...the LG voice system is terrible.

Ok. I'll trust you on this since we both agree that the LG voice UI sucks, and I've never had a car system.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW

Remember though, it's not a cell phone. It has many more battery draining functions. We'll see. My ipod has been good so far, but that's with light use. Cell batteries usually downgrade for me within a year or two. I've had the same luck with laptop batteries.

In general, I largely think that 95% of the batteries shipped will work fine for 3 or 4 years of average usage. It needs to be 99.9% for 99% of the users, but Apple plays these sorts of percentages all the time to make a "unique" product, and overall, it really doesn't matter that much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW

Whatever. I don't know anyone who even spends $300 much less $600. No one spends more than that. No one. If you can show me some examples, then do so. Anything you could find would be negligible anyway, at least in terms of units sold. The iPhone is a premium priced product. Apple has essentially said this in that they are going after the premium-user/prosumer/techo geek market. We can have a pissing contest if you like, but the iPhone is a premium priced product. It's a waste of energy to argue otherwise.

No argument that the iPhone isn't cheap. It is a luxury consumer phone and they want to sell 10 million of them. No one's really even tried to tap this market or tried to create it.

My argument is over your statement about no one willing to pay $600 for phone or that one at that price doesn't exist. Both are wrong, since obviously, people do pay that much for a cell phone. If you start putting in restrictions of units sold, well, my box gets pretty small. Anyways, there are lots of $600+ phones, most of them of the unlocked variety:

LG Prada $700

Nokia N95 $700

Nokia N93 $700

HTC TyTN $550+

Nokia Luna/Sirocco $700+

O2 XDA $600+

Nokia E90 ~$1000 if/when it comes to the states

Lots of phones around $500 too, and many of them with contract.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmp View Post

I have to disagree- even when my phone is being balky about recognizing my commands (only on the bluetooth speaker I use in the car and then not that often- I have to make sure the windows are up and the radio is muted- my headset is fine)

This doesn't sound great to me. Ie, windows up, radio muted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmp

I think it's still better to able to hit the button and say "Call. Bob. Mobile" rather than trying to dial from a screen, If I could do this on my V710 and can do it on my KRZR, I am not going to pay not to do it on an iPhone. Nobody in 2007 should be releasing a phone that's this pricey that takes your eyes off the road- it's a no brainer.

If voice dialing is a required feature for you, the answer with respect to the iPhone is pretty simple. However, I can argue that yes, in fact, voice dialing isn't needed, not to mention what is safe to do and what is not while driving, either.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I was at the mall today and tried one at Apple King of Prussia, PA. I must say I am blown away at the thing. It works even better than advertised. My four year old daughter was resizing photos. Everything works amazingly well...I even found typing easy.

Still waiting...but the is seriously cool...I have to admit.

I wonder how many extra iPhones Apple is going to sell by the strange hypnotic powers of playing with the interface?

I've lost count of how many postings I've seen from around the web from people who fully intended to hold out for v2, walked into a store to check one out, and left with a $600 hole in their bank account.