I'm Not Getting an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    [QUOTE=THT;1105838]Ok. I'll trust you on this since we both agree that the LG voice UI sucks, and I've never had a car system.

In general, I largely think that 95% of the batteries shipped will work fine for 3 or 4 years of average usage. It needs to be 99.9% for 99% of the users, but Apple plays these sorts of percentages all the time to make a "unique" product, and overall, it really doesn't matter that much.[quote]

That could be. I've just not had good luck.

Quote:

No argument that the iPhone isn't cheap. It is a luxury consumer phone and they want to sell 10 million of them. No one's really even tried to tap this market or tried to create it.

My argument is over your statement about no one willing to pay $600 for phone or that one at that price doesn't exist. Both are wrong, since obviously, people do pay that much for a cell phone. If you start putting in restrictions of units sold, well, my box gets pretty small. Anyways, there are lots of $600+ phones, most of them of the unlocked variety:

LG Prada $700

Nokia N95 $700

Nokia N93 $700

HTC TyTN $550+

Nokia Luna/Sirocco $700+

O2 XDA $600+

Nokia E90 ~$1000 if/when it comes to the states

Lots of phones around $500 too, and many of them with contract.

Come on. "Restrictions on units sold?" Of course we're going to do that. People generally don't pay that kind of money for a phone, not in any kind of numbers that matter. In fact, those models are basically PDAs with phones built-in. It's a totally different market segment. Tell me how many people are going to walk into ATT and buy one of those, even they even offer them there. The iPhone, no matter which market segment you place it in, is still a premium-priced phone. I'm not saying it's the absolute most expensive, but it's up there.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    SDW/Anyone,

How much would you pay if you were just going to buy a ~4.8 oz. wide screen 8 GB flash video Ipod with both portrait and landscape modes as well as more screen real estate (plus a 2 MP camera for instant photos) than current video models? Plus a multi-touch control screen in lieu of a wheel ?

Recall that a 4.8 oz. 30 GB video Ipod with a hard drive retails for $249 and a 5.5. oz.80 GB for $349. Recall that a 3 hour movie like Dances with Wolves takes up 2 GB of space and a 45 minute TV program like The Shield takes up ~0.5 GB.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

No video recording? What a load of rubbish.

I agree, that was a blooper, but it can be added via a software update, and I hope it is.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    thttht Posts: 5,483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Come on. "Restrictions on units sold?" Of course we're going to do that. People generally don't pay that kind of money for a phone, not in any kind of numbers that matter. In fact, those models are basically PDAs with phones built-in. It's a totally different market segment. Tell me how many people are going to walk into ATT and buy one of those, even they even offer them there. The iPhone, no matter which market segment you place it in, is still a premium-priced phone. I'm not saying it's the absolute most expensive, but it's up there.

I don't think I or anyone is denying that the iPhone is an expensive phone. I just wanted to point out that, yes, in fact there are more expensive phones. You asked afterall.

The N95 is not a PDA. It's a multimedia phone specializing in camera abilities. It doesn't even have a QWERTY keyboard.

The N93 is not a PDA. It's a multimedia phone specializing in camcorder abilities. It's one of those flip and twist phones.

The LG Prada is not a PDA. It's a multimedia phone specializing in the "Prada" brand with a single-touch screen UI. It's form factor is actually quite similar to the iPhone, but its Flash-based UI sucks.

The Luna/Sirocco are not PDA phones. They are high priced luxury cell phones.

These phones are all in the iPhone's market of high end luxury consumer phones. They obviously will sell much much less than iPhone, but we all know why iPhone has certain unique advantages for selling units.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree, that was a blooper, but it can be added via a software update, and I hope it is.

I didnt see that in the rumored list of updates. Do youthink that will be updated though at at the very least be in the EU version?

Also Ireland as a potential customer for the EU version can you please explain to out fellow American iphone fans that video capture is not just a gimmick and is actually widely used.

Just today there was an article in the Times about the age of the "citizen journalist". It was about the masses of videos and pictures from mobile phones that had capture images and videos of events of the attempted car bombings this weekend in the UK.

Perhaps you Americans are yet to go through such a transition where this feature becomes useful but I can tell you now for sure 100% that whilst it isnt big to you over in the states it will have a bigger effect on possible buyers in Europe.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

These phones are all in the iPhone's market of high end luxury consumer phones. They obviously will sell much much less than iPhone, but we all know why iPhone has certain unique advantages for selling units.

Nokia's N-series devices seem to sell very well.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    I'm thinking of rocking one of these.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I couldn't justify the iPhone..

..until I held it in my hand. Now I'm sold.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.

West Chester is a Philly suburb, so I'm actually surprised it's just outside the coverage range.

We have 3G in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg even.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    [QUOTE=ShawnJ;1106152]I couldn't justify the iPhone..

..until I held it in my hand. Now I'm sold.[quote]

Well, I frankly don't have the cash...but I must say...I think they sold me. I am going to save some cash over the next few months and buy one.

Quote:

West Chester is a Philly suburb, so I'm actually surprised it's just outside the coverage range.

We have 3G in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg even.

Part of that is the ongoing "SDW lives in suburban happy land" that giant and company have been tossing around. The idea is that I can't appreciate urban perspectives because I live in hicksville, or so they think.

But yes...we should have 3G soon I would think.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Yes, dammit, it's dangerous to your plans not to buy the first gen iPhone to pick one of them up and play with it.

Wait for 3G I said to myself. Wait to see if any nasty Rev A problems develop. Wait for more storage. Wait to see if unlocked iPhones go on sale in Europe.

And then... um.... uh... wait just a moment while I pull out my credit card.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Yes, dammit, it's dangerous to your plans not to buy the first gen iPhone to pick one of them up and play with it.

Wait for 3G I said to myself. Wait to see if any nasty Rev A problems develop. Wait for more storage. Wait to see if unlocked iPhones go on sale in Europe.

And then... um.... uh... wait just a moment while I pull out my credit card.

Totally agreed. Apple didn't snag me as a customer on Friday night, but I had an iPhone of my own on Saturday afternoon. Actually I went back to check it out again with the family in tow.

After I had finished messing around with an iPhone the second time I made to leave the store. Wifey couldn't believe I went to the store a second time just to play with one and told me in no uncertain terms that if I had just dragged her to the mall just to window shop she'd be pretty pissed. As a married man I know the age old adage, "Happy wife, happy life", so I picked up an 8GB iPhone. After all, wouldn't want to tick anyone off, know what I mean?
  • Reply 72 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

"Happy wife, happy life"

You have gained much wisdom, grasshopper.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well, I frankly don't have the cash...but I must say...I think they sold me. I am going to save some cash over the next few months and buy one.

Good lord, they're dropping like flies.

I honestly think there's going to be a huge "second wave" of iPhone sales as the first adopters go forth and show them around. Which will beget a "third wave", etc.

What has Apple done?

Quote:

Part of that is the ongoing "SDW lives in suburban happy land" that giant and company have been tossing around. The idea is that I can't appreciate urban perspectives because I live in hicksville, or so they think.

But yes...we should have 3G soon I would think.

You're not fooling anybody, you hillbilly. We all know you sit on your porch with a shotgun yelling at the damn kids.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What has Apple done?

Apple has infected the early adopters with the iPhone virus that will spread almost exponentially through the USA. Once you see it and use it for a bit, you're hooked.

(Seguing smoothly into another metaphor) A picture may be worth a 1000 words but a device in your hand is worth a 1,000,000 words. I gave it to a Wintel work colleague today for an hour. When he gave it back to me, he sheepishly said that he had placed an online order for the iPhone. He hands were shaking when he let go of the phone. His words--"It's like nothing I've ever seen and I've seen a lot".
  • Reply 75 of 105
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Man, i just used one. It's awesome. I couldn't type on it for the life of me when I started using my thumbs, then I went to hunt & peck for a while. Going back to both thumbs, somehow I was much better at typing. Incredible.

The mail app is great, like the interface in general. I wish I could get one. When the price drops, they'll have a new customer. It blows away any phone or PDA I've seen.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    [QUOTE=addabox;1106406]Good lord, they're dropping like flies.

I honestly think there's going to be a huge "second wave" of iPhone sales as the first adopters go forth and show them around. Which will beget a "third wave", etc.

What has Apple done?

[quote]

I think it's going to even bigger than anyone predicted. They have created a monster. I might still wait for version 2.0, but we'll see. What's sold me is not just the experience of playing around with it, but the reviews saying 2.5G is actually pretty good. Since VZW has put the "ixne" on my BT modem deal, I am dying for a mobile solution for travel without lugging my laptop around.

Quote:

You're not fooling anybody, you hillbilly. We all know you sit on your porch with a shotgun yelling at the damn kids.

No, that's what I want to do. When my daughter turns 13, I'm buying a gun. And a rocking chair. And some chew.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Nokia's N-series devices seem to sell very well.

Yeah, but most of those sales are at subsidized carrier prices in European markets, no? Not at the MSRP of the N-series devices, right?

Thanks, Tuan
  • Reply 78 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I gave it to a Wintel work colleague today for an hour. When he gave it back to me, he sheepishly said that he had placed an online order for the iPhone. He hands were shaking when he let go of the phone. His words--"It's like nothing I've ever seen and I've seen a lot".

I'm really curious to see the responses of Windows users. It seems Mac users are almost universally blown away by the device after they try it out. I wonder if, and how many windows users, react the same way after using the it.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Man, you guys who couldn't resist don't have the proper shields for this sort of thing. Even the ZDNet blog gadget guys couldn't help themselves. Fortunately, my shields (the wife unit) are strong against the RDF. Unfortunately, too strong...
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Bloomberg News TV network is now showing 700,000 units sold. UFB.