Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 101 of 185
    deckarddeckard Posts: 63member
    Wow!

You managed to marginalise almost everyone with that quote! God fearing? What the hell does 'God fearing' have to do with being able to afford a computer?

You have lots of kids? Well, you made a choice didn't you? If you care so much about things that 'matter' then you shouldn't be posting here about prices of computers as they clearly don't matter to you! Your logic is... well... flawed is a really nice way to put it!

If you have 'more important things to do with... money' then why don't you run along now and do those things?

Don't work harder. Don't try to better yourself and your situation. Just blame all the horrible rich people in the world that have made their choices.

Honestly, it's people that speak like you speak that give religion a bad name.

I'm pretty sure you can't afford a Mercedes either, but you're probably not going on about how they should make a cheaper, entry level model for poorer people are you? Apple is a premium brand, the nature of a premium brand is to STAY a premium brand. Their products are expensive, high-quality and very desireable. That's why you want them. Don't blame Apple because you can't afford what you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.

• Reply 102 of 185
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I actually don't mind the keyboard on my C2D iMac, but I'm also no longer in the market for anything hardware wise (my wife would kill me. And yes I did save up for my iMac thank you very much!

As far as axing the 17", I do feel bad, but it must not have been selling well enough to keep it going. They'd have to drop the price of the 20" though to make up for it and I don't see them totally forgetting about the Mini. It will exist in some form. Interesting times are ahead, but honestly all I care about is iLife 07 or 08 or something. I have $200 in Apple gift cards just waiting to be spent.

Chris
  • Reply 103 of 185
    digiologydigiology Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Geez, run over to Cork and yell at them for a while. Maybe they'll open one there...

That'll never happen, only in dublin, dublin's got everything (the bastards!)
  • Reply 104 of 185
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

There are lots of good ambidextrous mice. I've been using Logitech MX310. Almost all Razers are ambidextrous too.

Yes, I have seen the Logitech MX310 and have it lined up for when this one breaks, although to be fair this one has kept going for several years so I can't complain really. But it is MS, and you know what us Apple cats are like...
  • Reply 105 of 185
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

Apple has been allegedly "ignoring" these customers for years and for years everyone has been saying that it would hurt their market share and profits. Um... have you seen what that stock has done in the last few years? Have you seen their quarterly earnings reports? Apple is doing just fine so they must be doing something right whether we agree with their strategy or not. Apple is run by very capable people... how silly to think that they have missed something or don't understand something so obvious. Obviously they do, and so does Steve. How else did he manage to get Apple out of near-collapse and failure? Certainly not by selling entry level, stripped down $299 systems with no profit margin for the sake of having a meaningless high marketshare.

Isn't most of that success due to the iPod though? And a lesser extent the iPhone? Apple is a pretty sweet consumer electronics company, but I haven't seen them making monumental strides against Microsoft. People are more apt to blow several hundred on a cute gadget, then they will on computer.

The OS is really nice, but they haven't exactly been blowing computers off the shelves, other than the occasional article where Apple Macbook sales are up "x"% for the month of "y". Granted, I'm saying this, as I've finally made up my mind to buy a Macbook, as soon as a)Leopard comes and b)Apple gets off their ass and updates to at least a GMA x3100, but that's mainly just because I want something different and something new to play with. And unlike Linux, it can actually run Office properly.

I don't see why Apple couldn't make a $999 20" iMac, 20" LCD panels are pretty standard anymore and should be cheap to purchase in bulk.
  • Reply 106 of 185
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    How will people go about cleaning the "chicets keyboard" ? With a conventional keyboard, I can take out all the keys and then clean the interior.
  • Reply 107 of 185
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

What's the politically correct term for asshole?

"Distinguished gentleman"?
  • Reply 108 of 185
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

What's the politically correct term for asshole?

"bobmarksdale", and "deckard" i believe.

i'm disappointed there are some real elitist pricks coming out to air in this thread. so someone who doesn't have as much disposable income as you must therefore be lazy? who the heck here has any right to judge anyone else's life-choices and spending priorities? get over yourselves, please. some of you ppl probably moan about the lack of a mid-range headless mac as well, lol.

the OP didn't want a fully optioned mercedes benz for virtually nothing but rather was concerned about the loss of the most affordable (edit: AIO) computer in the apple range - the 17" imac. compounded with the presumed demise of the mini, it is a valid concern. of course, they probably could have framed that concern a bit more thoughtfully.

apple has never been a budget brand, we all know that yet believe it or not to buy one is a real sacrifice for some ppl, for a host of different reasons.
  • Reply 109 of 185
    deckarddeckard Posts: 63member
    I don't actually recall saying that anyone was lazy or lambasting anyone for their life choices - simply pointing out that a choice is made is in no way a judgement of said choice.

But hey, thanks for your single post spraying a couple of different people. Nice one.

As for the 'OP didn't want a fully optioned mercedes benz for virtually nothing' I didn't say anything about a 'fully optioned' mercedes and I didn't say 'virtually nothing'. Are you a reporter by any chance? Because you're excellent at taking statements out of context to support your own views!

My observation was simple (try to stay with me here): a mercedes is, like Apple, a premier brand that makes premier products. Naturally a premier brand wants to maintain it's position in the market. Brand perception is very important to these types of companies as part of what you buy is the allure of the BRAND itself, not the actual product. It's great to want a Mercedes (if that floats your particular boat) - fully optioned or not - but it's another to be able OR willing to afford one (both two VERY different things).

The simple fact that person A can't afford to buy what they want (if it's a priority to them) does not afford them the luxury of abusing the brand strategy of the company in question. It simply means that they have to review their options: either they don't buy the brand they want or they save more for the brand they want if it's a priority.

I, for example, have just bought the new MacBook Pro, an Airport Extreme, and Apple TV, 500 Gb external HDD, Mighty Mouse, upgrade to 4 Gb RAM, a Booq laptop bag and an Elgato Turbo H.264. Am I bragging about this? No. I'm simply stating what I've just purchased.

And for your information I have been saving for over a year to afford this. So please, don't talk to me about having large sums of money to dispose of. Don't tell me I'm denegrating someone for their lifestyle choices without knowing anything about their life - you know nothing of mine. I also save very hard and work very hard to put my daughter through school, pay for the dance lessons, the tennis lesson, the pony club etc.

I simply make a choice - I would rather NOT have a product than have an inferior product and I don't think I'm alone in that view.

So you see, buying Apple IS a very real sacrifice for me. I understand that people who can't afford it even if they save must be disappointed. But you know what? Life is full of disappointments, get used to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

"bobmarksdale", and "deckard" i believe.

i'm disappointed there are some real elitist pricks coming out to air in this thread. so someone who doesn't have as much disposable income as you must therefore be lazy? who the heck here has any right to judge anyone else's life-choices and spending priorities? get over yourselves, please. some of you ppl probably moan about the lack of a mid-range headless mac as well, lol.

the OP didn't want a fully optioned mercedes benz for virtually nothing but rather was concerned about the loss of the most affordable (edit: AIO) computer in the apple range - the 17" imac. compounded with the presumed demise of the mini, it is a valid concern. of course, they probably could have framed that concern a bit more thoughtfully.

apple has never been a budget brand, we all know that yet believe it or not to buy one is a real sacrifice for some ppl, for a host of different reasons.

• Reply 110 of 185
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The OS is really nice, but they haven't exactly been blowing computers off the shelves, other than the occasional article where Apple Macbook sales are up "x"% for the month of "y".

Macs are sold at higher margins, yet Mac sales are growing at 3x the market growth ratio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I don't see why Apple couldn't make a $999 20" iMac, 20" LCD panels are pretty standard anymore and should be cheap to purchase in bulk.

In 2003-04 the entry-level 15-inch iMac G4 sold for $1,299, the 17-inch iMac sold for $500 more. When Apple introduced the iMac G5, the entry-level model was a 17-incher sold for $1,299. At the moment the 17-inch Core 2 Duo iMac is sold for $999-1,199, according to rumors it will be discontinued, and, if history is any indication, the price for the 20-inch iMac (currently ~$500 more) could go down to about $1,199.
  • Reply 111 of 185
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

OUCH! reality check for you, here: half the world’s population lives on two dollars a day. the percentage of people in the world who can easily afford a nice new imac like you can is tiny, on a world scale just the ability to post on this forum qualifies you as rich
  • Reply 112 of 185
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Macs are sold at higher margins, yet Mac sales are growing at 3x the market growth ratio.

In 2003-04 the entry-level 15-inch iMac G4 sold for $1,299, the 17-inch iMac sold for $500 more. When Apple introduced the iMac G5, the entry-level model was a 17-incher sold for $1,299. At the moment the 17-inch Core 2 Duo iMac is sold for $999-1,199, according to rumors it will be discontinued, and, if history is any indication, the price for the 20-inch iMac (currently ~$500 more) could go down to about $1,199.

All this is true (I presume) but from an investor's point of view, I would hate to see them discontinue a 17 inch model, and I will be very surprised if that's what happens, despite all these rumors.

The fact is, Apple makes a ton of profit on each system sold, and the cost of 17 inch LCDs right now is so low that you can cut $200 off the price of the system, cut the RAM a bit, use a bit smaller hard drive, and really do some damage in terms of market share.

At this point Apple is very profitable, but IMO stands on the edge right now of a very powerful shift in the computing world if it can take advantage of Vista's weakness and its own cool factor. Growth has been great recently, but Apple's market share would still place it as a bit player if its name was Gateway instead. If Apple can bring a couple more percentage points of the market into the fold with a $999 computer, most likely with the same profit margin as the 20 inch model will have, I think it's foolish to let that opportunity pass.

The fact is that the market for a $1200 desktop in 2008 is pretty minimal. Because of Apple's position in the market, you have people who would buy a $1000 PC reaching for a $1200 Mac, which is great. But at $999, you could get the market that goes for a $800-900 PC too, and that, IMO, is a HUGE market.

If you're Dell and you have that opportunity, maybe you say no, but Apple at this point has so many other products to try to sell, selling on $999 Mac will definitely inspire a multiplier effect in terms of other purchases from Apple. That $999 Mac probably turns into $200-300 worth of iPod, iPhone and guess what - $500-$600 in future Mac computer purchases. THAT is the reason for a $999 iMac.
  • Reply 113 of 185
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I too would hate to see the 17" completely go away. I'd still hold some hope that it would live on in an eMac-like situation. The 20"+ models would have the new styling, but the smallest unit would retain the old styling, a bit of a price drop so it better fits education budgets.
  • Reply 114 of 185
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

Dude, you are binary blind in an organic world.

Lazy = Poor

Poor = Lazy

Rich = Not Lazy

Not Lazy = Rich

Bingo. Problem solved. Economics profs and sociologists can now go home.
  • Reply 115 of 185
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard View Post

I don't actually recall saying that anyone was lazy or lambasting anyone for their life choices - simply pointing out that a choice is made is in no way a judgement of said choice.

But hey, thanks for your single post spraying a couple of different people. Nice one.

bob-whatever made the comments about the laziness; your condescending attitude brought you into line with the definition. but no worries, it's a pleasure, any time.

Quote:

As for the 'OP didn't want a fully optioned mercedes benz for virtually nothing' I didn't say anything about a 'fully optioned' mercedes and I didn't say 'virtually nothing'.

the meaning is quite implicit, and the condescending attitude is explicit. and lol at you even trying to argue 'fully-optioned' vs regular mercedes...

Quote:

My observation was simple (try to stay with me here):

it's difficult, your superior intellect is blinding, even from way across teh interweb....

Quote:

I, for example, have just bought the new MacBook Pro, an Airport Extreme, and Apple TV, 500 Gb external HDD, Mighty Mouse, upgrade to 4 Gb RAM, a Booq laptop bag and an Elgato Turbo H.264. Am I bragging about this? No. I'm simply stating what I've just purchased.

And for your information I have been saving for over a year to afford this. So please, don't talk to me about having large sums of money to dispose of. Don't tell me I'm denegrating someone for their lifestyle choices without knowing anything about their life - you know nothing of mine. I also save very hard and work very hard to put my daughter through school, pay for the dance lessons, the tennis lesson, the pony club etc.

thanks for the bio, but actually, i wasn't saying anything about your life choices (as they are irrelevant here), rather about the pompous, elitist, condescending attitude displayed in your post, amongst others. said information is not required for someone to tell you that you were in fact denegrating someone for their lifestyle choices.

Quote:

You have lots of kids? Well, you made a choice didn't you? If you care so much about things that 'matter' then you shouldn't be posting here about prices of computers as they clearly don't matter to you!

and if you have kids you aren't allowed to be concerned with the affordability of a computer?

Quote:

I understand that people who can't afford it even if they save must be disappointed. But you know what? Life is full of disappointments, get used to them.

pity the disappointed, poor people, eh?
  • Reply 116 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoboardguy21 View Post

For what it's worth, the current keyboards are actually quite nice. At work I'm still using the black and green model from a Powermac G3. Now THOSE were horrible. The command key squeaks every time I press it, and almost every key sticks. It's bad.

Improvments are always great, and I'd love a slimline keyboard to use with my MBP, but let's not always complain about everything.

The current keyboards are exactly the same as that old one just give them time they squeak and stick as well. The only Macs that have good keyboards now days are the laptops. The MacBook keyboard is the best keyboard I've used since the old Apple Extended II days.
  • Reply 117 of 185
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The fact is that the market for a $1200 desktop in 2008 is pretty minimal.

Tis true indeed, but the Mac mini is the current entry-level model. If the mini is discontinued, this role could be filled by another Mac, not necessarily by a 17-inch iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

But at $999, you could get the market that goes for a $800-900 PC too, and that, IMO, is a HUGE market.

I don't think that the market is so huge. According to the CurrentAnalysis newsletter from April 2006, the bulk of the U.S. retail desktop market is already below $700. But I agree that Apple should have an entry-level model in the below $1,000 range.
  • Reply 118 of 185
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Libertarianism, like Communism, only works on the assumption that the majority of people aren't total idiots.

The same could be said for Democracy itself.
  • Reply 119 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Dude, you are binary blind in an organic world.

I love that line!!!!
  • Reply 120 of 185
    Why not make a stripped down 17" for $800 without camera, etc. and make it low-end iMac and in metal or black for a business mac?

We have to still keep a sub $500 Mini. I see people using them all of the time!