Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 121 of 185
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I guess I'm one of the few people who really likes the current Mac desktop keyboards. I prefer them to any other keyboard I've tried, especially the ones on the MB and MBP.
  • Reply 122 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

Hey! I'm not too lazy to work to afford a $999 computer. I just have to keep my BMW Convertible looking sharp!

Seriously, I have an AMD64X2 6000+ system I built myself with an nVidia Dual Tuner card in it that I use for all my TV viewing, etc. and I paid about $700.00 for the parts using a Shuttle XPC barebones unit as my starting point. It is tiny, quiet and FAST!

I've been eying the iMac ever since they came out with the 24" version. Even though I have a 26" LCD on my PC right now, I'd be willing to give up the 2" of screen space if I like the new iMac's. I'll save up my money for one! One issue I will have is my Palm Treo 700w which only likes to synch with Outlook. I don't want to spend the money for an iPhone, so we will see what happens.
  • Reply 123 of 185
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Why not make a stripped down 17" for $800 without camera, etc. and make it low-end iMac and in metal or black for a business mac?

We have to still keep a sub $500 Mini. I see people using them all of the time!

The only way to get a mini under $500 would be to toss out the Core Duo in favor of a Celeron M. And trust me, that'd be a dishonor to the whole Apple name.
  • Reply 124 of 185
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I would not want a desktop keyboard with flimsy scissor keys that break off if you type too hard or pull on the keys. This is a very common reason for keyboard replacements on laptop computers.
  • Reply 125 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wealjays

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard View Post

Wow!

You managed to marginalise almost everyone with that quote! God fearing? What the hell does 'God fearing' have to do with being able to afford a computer?

You have lots of kids? Well, you made a choice didn't you? If you care so much about things that 'matter' then you shouldn't be posting here about prices of computers as they clearly don't matter to you! Your logic is... well... flawed is a really nice way to put it!

If you have 'more important things to do with... money' then why don't you run along now and do those things?

Don't work harder. Don't try to better yourself and your situation. Just blame all the horrible rich people in the world that have made their choices.

Honestly, it's people that speak like you speak that give religion a bad name.

I'm pretty sure you can't afford a Mercedes either, but you're probably not going on about how they should make a cheaper, entry level model for poorer people are you? Apple is a premium brand, the nature of a premium brand is to STAY a premium brand. Their products are expensive, high-quality and very desireable. That's why you want them. Don't blame Apple because you can't afford what you want.

For the record: I was very tired when I posted that and my point was not clearly expressed.

A few clarifications:

1) My point was purely on RobinHood's ridiculous comment about working hard for money, I was not arguing that for some reason Apple owes it to the less wealthy to keep the prices down on their computers. I think a premium brand is fine. RobinHood was trying to make it sound like anyone who wants an iMac but can't afford one for $1500 should just work harder...no big deal!?

2) The kids thing was hypothetical, while I do feel having a family is an extremely important priority, I currently am single (I am in my early 20's). The point was that not every lifestyle lends itself to having lots of discretionary funds.

3) Most importantly: The G-d fearing aspect was me trying to say what I thought was obvious to everyone (but perhaps I am more religious than most and should have clarified). The concept is that working hard is not enough to guarantee riches, money/wealth comes from the Lord...period. People who don't realize this are fools. If you think wealth comes from you deserving it you are a fool. Appreciate your gift and give thanks for what you have.

Peace,

Jay

p.s. Sorry to all those who I may have offended with any of the connotations from my previous post.
  • Reply 126 of 185
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know some of you guys claim that the keyboard, or keys, are smaller than a non portable keyboard from Apple.

From the tech specs page for the MacBook:

It includes a "Built-in full-size keyboard ". The quote is from them.

Some of the extra keys have to be arranged differently, perhaps that's what you mean. But they don't have to be, on a desktop board.

And USB 1.1 is called "Full Speed" while USB 2.0 is called "Hi-Speed".

The function keys and arrow keys on Mac laptop keyboards are half the size of the other keys. Mac laptop keyboards have only one Control key and only one Option key as opposed to standard Mac desktop keyboards. Mac laptop keyboards don't have dedicated Del, Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys. Nor do Mac laptop keyboards have a separate numeric keypad. If Apple calls their laptop keyboards "full size", then their desktop keyboards must be super size.

I read in one of the "history of Apple" books that Steve Jobs originally wanted the Mac keyboard to have no arrow keys. That way, people would be forced to use the mouse.
  • Reply 127 of 185
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

None of you people have dependents, do you?

No, but the hookers more than makeup for it financially.
  • Reply 128 of 185
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

A bluetooth keyboard (at least one without a USB version for backup) is a horrible idea. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with people who can't even boot from a CD or reset their PRAM because they have a wireless keyboard that doesn't activate until the OS boots.

Um, I'm pretty sure that my Apple bluetooth keyboard kicks in two seconds after pressing the start button, so I'm sure I can eject CDs and reset the PRAM. As long as your keyboard isn't paired, this isn't an issue I think. \

Edit - just checked, and yep, I can definitely reset the PRAM with a bluetooth keyboard, so any keyboard shortcuts that are needed before the OS boots work fine with a properly setup Apple bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 129 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What was the price on that sucker? I recall it being $149 or thereabouts. It was not cheap.

I don't remember now, but it was more expensive than the regular keyboard, and that was $189.95
  • Reply 130 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

OUCH! reality check for you, here: half the world?s population lives on two dollars a day. the percentage of people in the world who can easily afford a nice new imac like you can is tiny, on a world scale just the ability to post on this forum qualifies you as rich

Yeah, and all of those lazy bastards are coming over here so that they can earn enough money to buy a Mac!

Keep 'em out I say! Let them wait until their own economies are inflated for them to earn enough over there. Maybe Apple will even open stores there.

Damn if I want 'em buying our Macs. Hell, then there won't be enough for us.

Look what happened with the iPhone!
  • Reply 131 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And USB 1.1 is called "Full Speed" while USB 2.0 is called "Hi-Speed".

The function keys and arrow keys on Mac laptop keyboards are half the size of the other keys. Mac laptop keyboards have only one Control key and only one Option key as opposed to standard Mac desktop keyboards. Mac laptop keyboards don't have dedicated Del, Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys. Nor do Mac laptop keyboards have a separate numeric keypad. If Apple calls their laptop keyboards "full size", then their desktop keyboards must be super size.

I read in one of the "history of Apple" books that Steve Jobs originally wanted the Mac keyboard to have no arrow keys. That way, people would be forced to use the mouse.

No, they're talking about the QWERTY keyboard itself. Those keys are full sized.
  • Reply 132 of 185
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Really? Even more than old age? More than cancer? More than the flu? More than AIDS? More than plague, smallpox, cholera, typhoid, and typhus? Weird!

Thanks for being a wiseass. Clearly I meant "died in wars."
  • Reply 133 of 185
    I'm not too sure about this new Apple keyboard with it's laptop-like low-profile. From a customer view, not my own.

I personally have always used a laptop and are quite at home with a low-profile keyboard, but I hear from customers every day how much they hate laptop keyboards. Mainly from a comfort/accessibility standpoint. If Apple take this approach with the next-gen Apple keyboard then it might just alienate that (albeit small) slice of the market and also have a knock-on effect with people's views of Apple's focus on accessibility...

But in a selfish way I'm all for a low-profile iMac keyboard :-)
  • Reply 134 of 185
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    A low-profile keyboard with backlighting has been on my wish list for a while. I look forward to it being less heavy as well. Hopefully there will be both a USB2 AND Bluetooth version.

The other items on my wish list is an Airport Express N, and an Xserve Raid Mini with 5-bays using the sames sleds as the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 135 of 185
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I would not want a desktop keyboard with flimsy scissor keys that break off if you type too hard or pull on the keys. This is a very common reason for keyboard replacements on laptop computers.

So don't type too hard or pull-on the keys then!

• Reply 136 of 185
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'm not too sure about this new Apple keyboard with it's laptop-like low-profile. From a customer view, not my own.

I personally have always used a laptop and are quite at home with a low-profile keyboard, but I hear from customers every day how much they hate laptop keyboards. Mainly from a comfort/accessibility standpoint. If Apple take this approach with the next-gen Apple keyboard then it might just alienate that (albeit small) slice of the market and also have a knock-on effect with people's views of Apple's focus on accessibility...

But in a selfish way I'm all for a low-profile iMac keyboard :-)

Top 3 reasons I won't buy a laptop:

1..I hate typing on laptop keyboards

2..I hate typing on laptop keyboards

3..I hate typing on laptop keyboards
  • Reply 137 of 185
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Give me a keyboard that feels like an old IBM Selectric and you've got a winner. Modern keyboards are too soft, or squishy... it's like the difference between playing a USB 44-key keyboard (non-weighted) and playing a real piano.

You've got it all wrong-- its the Royal Typewriter that had it right. Of course, the IBM Selectric did have that wonderful "industrial sound" as the ball bashed the platen.
  • Reply 138 of 185
    gatorgator Posts: 10member
    One of the great things about Macs is that they've moved people away from the tired old Beige Box syndrome by being not only cutting-edge innovative, but intuitively clever in how the user interacts with the system. I've little doubt that users will adapt to ---and even embrace--- the forthcoming keyboard design from Apple.

Ergonomically speaking, a flat, laptop-like keyboard is superior to the raised keyboards now in use. For one thing, such a design will not allow the user to rest their hands on the back edge closest to the wrists, something proved to increase the risk of carpal tunnel disorfers.

As to the product line and pricing points of Macs: Apple, like many companies, sets a higher standard for entry-level systems, both in what they provide as well as what such systems cost the consumer. Their target market is not the entry level, mass-consuming, low-end segment of the buying public. This part of the equation that makes up Apple's business model has proved quite successful, naysayers and hyper-critics notwithstanding.

Is Mac the ideal system? For the majority of its users, the answer's pretty much a "Yes." People may grumble over small points ---"Waaahh, the jam's not spread evenly on my toast!"--- but, by and large, most users love them. Those new to computing quickly become proficient, and those moving from the PC world are usually heard saying something like, "Now, this makes sense!"

I trust that such will be the way things go with the new keyboards.

• Reply 139 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

bob-whatever made the comments about the laziness

Whoa there horsie. If you'll go back and read, you will see that I made no such comment involving the word 'lazy'; that was Robin Hood. I was merely trying to say that if your priorities are not in computers, then you should not mind if the computer you have is not of the best quality. This is no different than me not having my priorities in designer clothing, so I do not complain about the price of it, and I do not buy it.

Sorry if my comment was misinterpreted as 'poor people are lazy', but that is not what it says, and not what it meant.
  • Reply 140 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Top 3 reasons I won't buy a laptop:

1..I hate typing on laptop keyboards

2..I hate typing on laptop keyboards

3..I hate typing on laptop keyboards

Me too. I work on a quad core at work and an old G4 iMac at home. Occasionally I take home the department's Powerbook. I always feel "hemmed in" when I type on the laptop. I'm more apt to start finger pecking as opposed to typing.

A friend of mine hooks up a keyboard (and mouse) to his Powerbook when he is sitting down at his home office.