Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 185
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    It is derailing the thread, can we stop talking politics in this thread please? I'd like this to be the new apple keyboard thread, not children / money / politics thread. Take your debates private or to another thread.
  • Reply 82 of 185
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post

Eliminating the macmini and 17" iMac? They're definately making room something new here, low priced tower methinks

WARNING: POSSIBLE XMAC DISCUSSION HAS BEEN SIGHTED. TAKE APPROPRIATE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.
  • Reply 83 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, mel. We'll agree to disagree on that one.

Can you point to one that functions?
  • Reply 84 of 185
    Quote:

Not to derail the thread, we have mountains of evidence that our current system doesn't work. It's a special interest love-fest.

It sure does work. It isn't perfect. Nothing is.
  • Reply 85 of 185
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

From Apple: US\t Danmark\tIreland\tNew Zealand\tSouth Korea

Australia\tDeutschland\tItalia\tNorge\tSuisse

België\tEspaña\tJapan\tÖsterreich\tSuomi

Belgique\tFrance\tLuxembourg\tSchweiz\tSverige

Canada\tHong Kong\tNederland\tSingapore\tUK

I'm talking retail stores, not offices or call centres etc. There's an Apple retail store in Ireland? News to me.
  • Reply 86 of 185
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

WARNING: POSSIBLE XMAC DISCUSSION HAS BEEN SIGHTED. TAKE APPROPRIATE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

My two cents on the Keyboard issue are fairly straightforward.

The AI story seems to point to Jobs and Ive looking to produce a uber-cool keyboard to complement the new iMac.

While many may see this as a good thing, this is the kind of thinking that gave us the Hockey Puck mouse.

Unless Apple's going to build in some LCD app-specific menu stuff, I don't see the keyboard as being a huge upgrade. I'll just be happy that it's no longer white.

The mouse, however, is another story. Those patent applications for bringing iPhone tech to the lowly mouse seem very plausible.
  • Reply 87 of 185
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    All I know is it better be a full size keyboard. I do not want a laptop size keyboard for a desktop. I actually like the current keyboard and use the bt one with my mbp all the time because I hate things like fn keys when I'm at a desk. The macbook keyboard is fine but the keys would need to be bigger or something because the keyboard would be tiny if it were the same size.

With this news I'm gonna go buy a wired one this week out of fear.
  • Reply 88 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

There are some real concerns here, such as what price point these new iMacs will be offered at.

I know many people who could barely afford the $999 iMac, but if Apple is going to eliminate the 17" iMac altogether, then what are they going to sell at the $999 price range?

Similar problem with the elimination of the Mac minis -- this is the ONLY entry-level computer that Apple offers, and it makes it financially easy for users with existing hardware to add a Mac into their lives. Even though the Mac minis are incredibly overpriced & horribly underpowered, it's still a low price of entry.

If all these pending changes to Apple's product line are to come true, then Apple would be showing once again that they have an incredible knack for COMPLETELY IGNORING customers who are on a limited budget, and that Apple caters only to the rich and famous.

Hasn't Apple learned anything with the iPod Shuffle? That the LOW END of the market is an incredibly important one to play in?

Axing the Mac mini/ 17 imac. people like me cant but a new mac then (New tower????)
  • Reply 89 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

All I know is it better be a full size keyboard. I do not want a laptop size keyboard for a desktop. I actually like the current keyboard and use the bt one with my mbp all the time because I hate things like fn keys when I'm at a desk. The macbook keyboard is fine but the keys would need to be bigger or something because the keyboard would be tiny if it were the same size.

With this news I'm gonna go buy a wired one this week out of fear.

I don't know some of you guys claim that the keyboard, or keys, are smaller than a non portable keyboard from Apple.

From the tech specs page for the MacBook:

It includes a "Built-in full-size keyboard ". The quote is from them.

Some of the extra keys have to be arranged differently, perhaps that's what you mean. But they don't have to be, on a desktop board.
  • Reply 90 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Then those 'some people' can go get a crappy pc since they don't value their computing experience highly enough to buy something quality (this excludes underprivileged* people, and is solely centered at people who can afford it but complain about the price).

underprivileged is the politically correct term for poor these days, isn't it?

What's the politically correct term for asshole?
  • Reply 91 of 185
    synth3tiksynth3tik Posts: 14member
    I really don't like the feel of the macbook keyboard. I would hope they plan on imprving it first.
  • Reply 92 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

My two cents on the Keyboard issue are fairly straightforward.

The AI story seems to point to Jobs and Ive looking to produce a uber-cool keyboard to complement the new iMac.

While many may see this as a good thing, this is the kind of thinking that gave us the Hockey Puck mouse.

Unless Apple's going to build in some LCD app-specific menu stuff, I don't see the keyboard as being a huge upgrade. I'll just be happy that it's no longer white.

The mouse, however, is another story. Those patent applications for bringing iPhone tech to the lowly mouse seem very plausible.

-New keyboard. think of this. Flat like paper maby like a cm think and look like macbook buttons, wireless that would look cool

sorry for the crappy edit. i just took my macbook and cut the rest out. any way it would look kinda like this it would stand just like a cm off the ground and be cool like that a nd ultra portable.and of course have a more solid edge.lol
  • Reply 93 of 185
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Probably mid, or late, next week.

July 25
  • Reply 94 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

July 25th. Buy AAPL shares now because it is expected that Apple will blow the numbers away beating Wall Street expectations again. Stock price could reach the $145-$150 range.

Or... maybe they blow numbers away and then drop....

It's going to happen eventually, and if you're smart you'll put a stop limit underneath your shares just in case. I know I have one below mine - shocked it didn't drop after the iPhone launch.
  • Reply 95 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

July 25

Yeah, I read it. It's a bit late this month.
  • Reply 96 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Or... maybe they blow numbers away and then drop....

It's going to happen eventually, and if you're smart you'll put a stop limit underneath your shares just in case. I know I have one below mine - shocked it didn't drop after the iPhone launch.

You have to be VERY careful with stop limits. You can be blown out of a position if the price drops for just a minute.
  • Reply 97 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i think it's because the ports on the back of the computers are 2.0 and then you have to share that speed with the keyboard and the two ports on it, making it impossible to have the same speed as the original port on the computer... does that make sense?

No, and probably because that has nothing to do with it

More likely it is power related.
  • Reply 98 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

More people have died in this world due to misplaced agression out of fear of God than for any other reason.

Really? Even more than old age? More than cancer? More than the flu? More than AIDS? More than plague, smallpox, cholera, typhoid, and typhus? Weird!
  • Reply 99 of 185
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Just put it on your credit card. Apple is a permium brand like Lexus!

That's a very bad way to finance a purchase. I don't think a Lexus is necessarily a good comparison. Luxury autos now tend to have gimmicky features that are more likely to break because it's a new and previously untested gimmick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

Most people have better priorities than to bother listening to condescending and overly simplistic asses like you.

Quote:

I agree. Give me a keyboard that feels like an old IBM Selectric and you've got a winner. Modern keyboards are too soft, or squishy... it's like the difference between playing a USB 44-key keyboard (non-weighted) and playing a real piano.

A musical instrument has different requirements than a standard input device. Personally, I'm just using a Microsoft Natural Elite. I think the key action is clearly superior to Apple's desktop keyboards. They aren't perfect, but the Apple key mechanisms are a lot more susceptible to double strike or strike without the feel of the strike, as if the feel and detection of a key press are separate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I was looking forward to getting a new iMac, but I may be forced to purchase an older keyboard now.

It's not as if most desktop keyboards are very expensive. At least you can easily swap them out, unlike a notebook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i think it's because the ports on the back of the computers are 2.0 and then you have to share that speed with the keyboard and the two ports on it, making it impossible to have the same speed as the original port on the computer... does that make sense?

I don't think this is the case. I think it's more likely to prevent a device from drawing too much power, because the keyboard acts as an unpowered hub, and devices in USB2 mode are allowed to take more power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple had an ergonomic keyboard a while back, but nobody bought it.

What was the price on that sucker? I recall it being $149 or thereabouts. It was not cheap.
  • Reply 100 of 185
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

The only drawback is finding a suitable ambidextrous mouse, forcing me to have a standard *cough* MS *cough* five buttoner.

There are lots of good ambidextrous mice. I've been using Logitech MX310. Almost all Razers are ambidextrous too.