Briefly: Sony boss calls Jobs "greedy," Vodafone on 3G iPhone, Apple Tech Talks

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 123
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    As far as I know, except for one, nobody uses the other words you suggested, I think because they are stupid words to use.

    I really don't care how you justify it, AppleInsider is not the place for it.



    If the one word from my list that you say it still in use is 'Jew,' you would be wrong. "Yank" is used regularly especially in common parlance among residents of our strongest ally, Great Britain. We should all be terribly insulted everytime a newspaper article in the London Times says "And over the pond, the Yanks are..."



    For your reference, J__ was originally just an abbreviation of 'Japanese' as opposed to Hun or Frog which are words that actually have insulting meanings by association. It was obviously not the intention of the person who said it first in this thread to be racist in its use and if it weren't for trigger fingers like you, this issue probably would have passed 20 posts ago.



    You remind me of the politician who was reprimanded for using the word 'niggardly' in a speech a few years ago. Someone took offense because they thought it meant something that it sounds like and NOBODY stood up and made a stand for that person. Silly silly yanks.
  • Reply 82 of 123
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post


    If the one word from my list that you say it still in use is 'Jew,' you would be wrong. "Yank" is used regularly especially in common parlance among residents of our strongest ally, Great Britain. We should all be terribly insulted everytime a newspaper article in the London Times says "And over the pond, the Yanks are..."



    For your reference, J__ was originally just an abbreviation of 'Japanese' as opposed to Hun or Frog which are words that actually have insulting meanings by association. It was obviously not the intention of the person who said it first in this thread to be racist in its use and if it weren't for trigger fingers like you, this issue probably would have passed 20 posts ago.



    You remind me of the politician who was reprimanded for using the word 'niggardly' in a speech a few years ago. Someone took offense because they thought it meant something that it sounds like and NOBODY stood up and made a stand for that person. Silly silly yanks.



    There is no need for the offensive nature of your remarks. This is supposed to be a forum to discuss Apple and its products. Not a podium to spew, defend, explain or prolaim derogatory, inflammatory, disparager or racists remarks of any degree. Do it someplace else if need be.
  • Reply 83 of 123
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    There is no need for the offensive nature of your remarks. This is supposed to be a forum to discuss Apple and its products. Not a podium to spew, defend, explain or prolaim derogatory, inflammatory, disparager or racists remarks of any degree. Do it someplace else if need be.



    Abster2core ... that's the spirit! In fact, we should all get in on the hyper-sensitive act and I'll do it right now: I am offended that you would call me racist and derogatory. You sir, are a bigot.



    There see, you and I have taken it to the idiotic extreme.



    Now, let's get back to the dork in the title story and let's hope no one is offended by the word 'dork.'
  • Reply 84 of 123
    Everyone should read the posting guidelines.



    It is not much to ask that everyone use care and consideration when choosing their words.



    Not taking the time to add the letters 'a' & 'n' after what is, at best, an offensive term is pure laziness or bile.



    Any excuse that it's the first syllable of the nationality is ridiculous. I don't hear much about the Cans or the Engs or the Uns or the Mexs and so on.



    Any further posts not related to the original story will be dealt with as I see fit.
  • Reply 85 of 123
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattjumbo View Post


    I realize "Jap" was a derisive term used in WWII-era America, but can it seriously be considered racist in 2007? Japan and America are as closely tied as any two nations on Earth and "Jap" is the first syllable of the word Japanese, obviously.



    I don't think the context suggests any racism at all.



    OK, this will be my last post on this. Following that, I suppose I'll just leave it your sense of good taste.



    1) This is from the American Heritage Dictionary:

    Jap (j?p) Pronunciation Key

    n. Offensive Slang

    Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent.



    2) I realize there are Wikipedia-haters, but if you'd like to check it out, this entry is not bad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
  • Reply 86 of 123
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,401member
    Oops..... I guess I was working on posting this as audiopollution was on his....



    It's fine with me if the moderator wants to delete it!
  • Reply 87 of 123
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattjumbo View Post


    Well super, my apologies.



    I wasn't replying to any specific point you made but rather to the tone of your entire comment. It seemed to me that you were trying to make one of two points: that other companies were doing better than Apple in the digital media space, or that you personally preferred other solutions. Maybe I was wrong.



    Saying that Apple has the best selling MP3 player doesn't really cover it, does it?



    Apple has, with the iPod, the best-selling MP3 player and the best-selling portable video player of any kind.



    Apple has, with iTunes, the best-selling digital media service (and the third best selling music service, physical or digital), the best-selling digital movie service, the most popular podcasting site, the best-selling music video service, the best-selling audio book service, the best-selling non-DRM music service, and on and on.



    When you simply list Apple, or iTunes, or the iPod against other competing services, it gives a false impression that, in digital media, there is any real competition. There just isn't.



    Not to be political (and I don't hate President Bush like some people seem to), whenever anyone used to say the US was "going it alone" in Iraq, the white house spokesman would trot out and list all of our "partners"...Ireland, Namibia, Kazhakstan, etc., etc., each of whom contributed three soldiers and a box of rice to the cause.



    When you list Apple, Sony, MS, etc...side by side it has the same effect. Apple is utterly dominating digital media in every measurable way right now. Of course that fact is irrelevant if you prefer Amazon unbox, or XBox live, etc.



    And that is where we come back to my original comment.



    I thought you were trying to build a case that Apple is not completely dominant in the digital media space. If you were, then that is simply wrong. If you were simply expressing a preference for other players then, cool.



    I think part of my point was that other companies are doing better things with digital media than Apple. Such as my Amazon Unbox/Tivo comment. That solution where Amazon keeps track of what digital media you buy and you can then download when you want it is far more appealing than Apple's current strategy of making the consumer deal with storage and such. Not to mention Unbox purchases can be made anywhere one can access the Amazon website and can thus be waiting for you when you get home. Or I can purchase straight from my Tivo. If you look at Apple's model of forcing the user to go to their computer to purchase content, doesn't Apple seem a little bit behind the curve?



    And again, you're sort of comparing two different things. Apple only has the iPod and AppleTV as consumer electronics hardware. Software-wise (music, movies, etc.), they still aren't dominating anything. DVD's and CD's still vastly outsell iTunes downloads. And I'm not really impressed that Apple is #3 in music sales considering it's still a mere 10% of the total music market? You can get CD's (and DVD's) almost anywhere, so it's not surprising that they've made it to the third spot given such a fractured distribution system. Yes, they're easily #1 in digital downloads, but so what? That is still just a thin slice of a much larger pie. I can skew numbers as well. Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace is kicking the crap out of the iTunes Store when it comes to selling HD content; of course, it would have to be since iTunes doesn't sell any form of HD content. And up until it was shut down, I bet AllofMP3.com was kicking the crap out of Apple for selling non-DRM music.



    And saying that Apple has the best selling portable video player is again skewing numbers. Wasn't there a report a while back that said something like only 10-20% of people actually watch video on their iPod? I'm guessing if you looked at the numbers Apple's iPod is probably also the best selling handheld Solitaire game as well. Pretty meaningless honor.
  • Reply 88 of 123
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    On topic:

    Jobs & Co. are in the business of making money, surprise, surprise. No one should ever delude themselves into thinking differently . The fact of the matter is they've come up with ways to satisfy the customer AND make money at the same time. At the same time they are able to shake up and move the tech industry thankfully in the right direction. This is something that these other tech and music companies just don't get.



    I rented "The Departed" in Hi-Def from X-box live the other night. This really is the wave of the future with HD content. It took 5 or so minutes before I could start watching it and it was gorgeous. It will be stiff competition between XBox Live, Amazon/Tivo, and Apple TV. Currently Apple TV is behind the competition in HD content.



    Off topic:

    It's very easy to use terms that have in the past been taboo and assume that since it's been 'x' number of years it's now okay. In fact I think a fair number of people take delight in using such words. For those throwing around words like J_p, J_w, and N_gg_r you've been told it's offensive. It's up to you to decide whether you modify your language or not. There are varying degrees of 'Political Correctness' and everyone has to determine how far they're willing to go. Just don't get upset when a certain group decides you are 'racists' or 'offensive' or 'insensitive'. If that bothers you then change your language. If you couldn't care less then it really doesn't matter.



    As a black male I can tell you that I take offense to the N word and any word derived from it. There are a number of synonyms that could have been used and it was that person's choice to use the word and disregard how some might take it.
  • Reply 89 of 123
    SONY calling someone else greedy? I don't even know where to begin....

    At least SJ gives us products worth the $$$
  • Reply 90 of 123
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    And saying that Apple has the best selling portable video player is again skewing numbers. Wasn't there a report a while back that said something like only 10-20% of people actually watch video on their iPod? I'm guessing if you looked at the numbers Apple's iPod is probably also the best selling handheld Solitaire game as well. Pretty meaningless honor.



    The analogy between Solitaire and video is a bit thin, and you know it.



    10% - 20% of people with iPods watching videos is a LOT. What are the other 'portable video players' that compare?
  • Reply 91 of 123
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

    Stringer is said to have characterized Jobs as a "greedy" hypocrite who would accuse music labels of only being interested in money while wanting to funnel money only to himself. The introduction of the iPhone was part of this approach, Stringer argued.





    Tell us something we don't know.



    With a $650 million dollar bonus for 2006, from illegal and backdated stock options, making Jobs the highest paid CEO on the planet, was there anyone who didn't know that Jobs is a greedy bastard, angry, insecure, and controlling because he was abandoned by his parents at birth?



    Being abandoned at birth, by both parents, creates the kind of sting that cannot be erased by money.



    Money can't buy you love or emotional security. If anyone should know, it's Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 92 of 123
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    what the heck is mylo i mean am pretty sure they sold dozens of units, you knows maybe even hundreds, what about the location free, that one did not stick also, although i agree the ps3 is a complete console with alot of neat features with a so called broadband engine not only does it suck as much power of all my light bulbs put together, the games suck, am pretty sure if they have had added a keybord, and had world of warcraft it might have been a different story, my personal opinion if they dont stick to just Tvs they are goin to fall apart
  • Reply 93 of 123
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    Tell us something we don't know.



    As the moderator said (#85), "Everyone should read the posting guidelines."
  • Reply 94 of 123
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    HOW SONY MAKES MONEY:



    1. Purchase movie studios and their back catalog's

    2. release movies on dvd, then dvd special editions, then dvd ultra special editions, then blu ray, then bluray extreme* editions each time the film is released the price goes up and up.....

    3. oh oh, I forgot about music. same as above

    4. Release a games console but secretly not for games....Blu Ray so you can milk the cash cow of previously created content.



    WHY SONY ARE TAKING A CHEAP SHOT AT JOBS



    1. Apple totally f*&%ed Sony out of the music player market, which Sony was once king of.

    2. Sony spent loads on Ericsson so they could push their music players into the mobile market and therefore push the sony connect music store. (well, they couldnt do it on the portable mp3 market and apple dont do phones)



    Enter the iPhone.......this must completely piss off sony, they must feel that apple are out to get them, first decimate their music player market and now blitz their mobile phone business.



    *extreme editions will come soon offering higher picturee fidelity once Sony man up and use VC1 instead of mpeg2



    All apple needs to do is release an Apple TV - 32" to 50" LCD TV, with built in full OSX inc' wifi, bluetooth etc etc. All at the similar prices to Sony LCD's.



    then its bye bye Sony
  • Reply 95 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    Tell us something we don't know......

    Being abandoned at birth, by both parents, creates the kind of sting that cannot be erased by money......



    Wow, how do you know this? Are you speaking from experience? Failing that, can you cite some research? Or, are you just spewing utter nonsense?



  • Reply 96 of 123
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

    Any excuse that it's the first syllable of the nationality is ridiculous. I don't hear much about the Cans or the Engs or the Uns or the Mexs and so on.



    So i take it nobody is going out for a Tex-Mex tonight then? Or have i just said something racist about both Texans and Mexicans?

    People where i live are called Aussies, is that racist?



    In the UK and Australia the word 'Jap' is a common name for someone from Japan and is not necessarily meant as a racist slur. In fact do you know how the word 'Jap' became part of the language of these countries? During the second world war the American government distrubuted to all the GI's stationed overseas a booklet explaining the culture of the countries they were staying in, among the notes of wisdom contained in these booklets they learned that Australians and Americans had a common enemy in the "Jap", that "Abos" roamed the Australian "waste lands". This from a booklet that actually included a personal message from the president Franklin Roosevelt. Once a word has entered a common language it is very difficult to remove, but it should not matter anyway, it is not the word that causes offence but the way in which it was said and the feelings behind it.



    Words are just words and no word should be outlawed. Guns are far more likely to kill people and yet it is deemed the absolute right of all Americans to have the chance to own one, but it is okay to ban a word?. Its crazy that white people still get sacked for saying the N word and even i am not able to say the N word without being accused of being a racist and yet half of the black music that comes out of America is full of the N word and slapping hoes and popping caps, Its fine if a black dude says it but a not a white person!! Is that not the racist thing you ever heard in your life?



    Have you got nothing else to get upset about? Turn on the news and try getting upset about something that matters.
  • Reply 97 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post


    Words are just words and no word should be outlawed. Guns are far more likely to kill people and yet it is deemed the absolute right of all Americans to have the chance to own one, but it is okay to ban a word?



    This is an odd thing to put in your argument. I don't know if you missed the distinction, but AI is a private organization, one that probably doesn't have any direct control of any government. Anyway, being a private forum, AI can decide what discussion topics are acceptable here.
  • Reply 98 of 123
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    extreme editions will come soon offering higher picturee fidelity once Sony man up and use VC1 instead of mpeg2



    mpeg2 is better than VC1 - HD-DVD only uses VC1 because it is space limited, Blu-ray has the luxury to use mpeg2 because of its 25gig disks.
  • Reply 99 of 123
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post


    So i take it nobody is going out for a Tex-Mex tonight then? Or have i just said something racist about both Texans and Mexicans?

    People where i live are called Aussies, is that racist?



    In the UK and Australia the word 'Jap' is a common name for someone from Japan and is not necessarily meant as a racist slur. In fact do you know how the word 'Jap' became part of the language of these countries? During the second world war the American government distrubuted to all the GI's stationed overseas a booklet explaining the culture of the countries they were staying in, among the notes of wisdom contained in these booklets they learned that Australians and Americans had a common enemy in the "Jap", that "Abos" roamed the Australian "waste lands". This from a booklet that actually included a personal message from the president Franklin Roosevelt. Once a word has entered a common language it is very difficult to remove, but it should not matter anyway, it is not the word that causes offence but the way in which it was said and the feelings behind it.



    Words are just words and no word should be outlawed. Guns are far more likely to kill people and yet it is deemed the absolute right of all Americans to have the chance to own one, but it is okay to ban a word?. Its crazy that white people still get sacked for saying the N word and even i am not able to say the N word without being accused of being a racist and yet half of the black music that comes out of America is full of the N word and slapping hoes and popping caps, Its fine if a black dude says it but a not a white person!! Is that not the racist thing you ever heard in your life?



    Have you got nothing else to get upset about? Turn on the news and try getting upset about something that matters.



    If you don't live in the US, I'm not sure how you can have a full understanding of what is and is not offensive, just like I wouldn't completely understand what is or is not offensive in Australia.



    Just because a population has popularized a word doesn't mean that it's not offensive, Kaffir and South Africa comes to mind.



    No one is talking about banning words. As I said before, you can use whatever words you like. If you want to use the N word, go ahead. It's ignorant and offensive in rap music and it's no excuse for you to use the word. You've been told it's offensive. It's YOUR CHOICE to either respect this or not. Words are extremely powerful and tell a lot about a person's view. For example you don't need to use the 'N' word for me to see where you stand. This sentence says it all, "black music that comes out of America is full of the N word and slapping hoes and popping caps, Its fine if a black dude says it but a not a white person"



    Black music? Black Dude? So Rap and Hip Hop are now Black music?



    I'm also not going to get upset or angry with you, especially on an internet forum. If you decide to use language that I find offensive I'll ignore you and move on. However realize that you may receive a less moderate response in real life.
  • Reply 100 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post


    If you don't live in the US, I'm not sure how you can have a full understanding of what is and is not offensive, just like I wouldn't completely understand what is or is not offensive in Australia.



    Just because a population has popularized a word doesn't mean that it's not offensive, Kaffir and South Africa comes to mind.



    No one is talking about banning words. As I said before, you can use whatever words you like. If you want to use the N word, go ahead. It's ignorant and offensive in rap music and it's no excuse for you to use the word. You've been told it's offensive. It's YOUR CHOICE to either respect this or not. Words are extremely powerful and tell a lot about a person's view. For example you don't need to use the 'N' word for me to see where you stand. This sentence says it all, "black music that comes out of America is full of the N word and slapping hoes and popping caps, Its fine if a black dude says it but a not a white person"



    Black music? Black Dude? So Rap and Hip Hop are now Black music?



    I'm also not going to get upset or angry with you, especially on an internet forum. If you decide to use language that I find offensive I'll ignore you and move on. However realize that you may receive a less moderate response in real life.



    Very nicely put!
Sign In or Register to comment.