Firm sets whopping $205 price target on Apple shares

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    There are two things that will boost earnings next week, both are from a statement about SanDisk earnings:

1. (Lots of Flash NAND sold (rumored 1/4 of which by Apple alone) Here's the quote: "Also we believe an insatiable appetite from Apple is sapping NAND supply, resulting in market-share gains for SanDisk."

2. That's great but what's even better is the low pricing on that NAND memory. Here's the quote: "SanDisk said earnings were hurt by ongoing declines in the average selling prices of NAND flash-memory chips."

Net results will be a statement from Apple saying that they made a ton of money bases on great margins and rising sales. And this is the slow quarter!!!
  • Reply 22 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hey, I'd love to believe Apple hits this $205 target, but seriously... are you looking at the same growth I am?

I am. I bought at 35, 60, 78 and 138. At what point do you have any faith? At 35 all I read was... "It will never do better"
  • Reply 23 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleaddict View Post

Hi guys! I'm new to the appleinsider forum!

Anyways, just wanted to share my view ...

I have been an Apple fan since the early 90's ... and I am so happy to see that Apple is finally being seen and recognized for its forward thinking.

I strongly believe that Apple is the next Microsoft (should have been this way long ago).

My theory is simple, MS got lucky early ... got people used to its product and kept copying Apple's innovation to stay ahead ... Apple has finally broke through the pack and taken a huge lead ....

Thanks to iPod people I realizing that Apple products are not only easy to use but elegant ... so now people will slowly switch to Apple ... and they won't be disappointed.

Apple might even surpass $200 before Christmas ... mark my word!!

Peace!

Here's hoping
  • Reply 24 of 107
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am. I bought at 35, 60, 78 and 138. At what point do you have any faith? At 35 all I read was ..." It will never do better"

In that case it must be worth 205! And when it's at 205 and someone says "maybe this is not a good investment anymore" then you can say you bought at 35, 60, 78, 138 and 205, so 350 should be easy.

Right?
  • Reply 25 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

My theory is simple, MS got lucky early ...

1) Welcome to AI forums.

2) MS got lucky and they wre smart enough to know that a well-known company liek IBM would be a smart move.

From Wikipedia about Gary Kildall's CP/M. IBM's first choice for an OS.
    "IBM approached Digital Research in 1980, at Bill Gates's suggestion, to license a version of CP/M called CP/M-86 for its upcoming IBM PC. ... Before explaining the purpose of their visit they insisted that DRI accept a standard non-disclosure agreement that required it not to reveal anything about the meeting and allowed IBM unfettered use of any information that DRI might disclose. On the advice of DRI attorney Gerry Davis, Dorothy refused to sign the agreement without Gary's approval."
    DOS was based on CP/M and MS didn't own it or had ever used it before agreeing to sell it to IBM. A bold move, IMO. They certainly seized the moment.

3) I can see Apple breaking the $200 barrier before the calender years ends.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

In that case it must be worth 205! And when it's at 205 and someone says "maybe this is not a good investment anymore" then you can say you bought at 35, 60, 78, 138 and 205, so 350 should be easy.

Right?

You bet aapl will hit $450 by jan 09. And you don't even need to add iPHone revenue into the mix that much. If Apple keeps growing their computer base at 30% a year for the next 2 years, the sky is the limit.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

What's their game here? Obvious... pump and dump.

Piper Jaffray isn't a firm that would first come to mind when 'pump n dump' gets brought up.... but who knows....

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

And Mel Gross's pace of posting not imploding! You're approaching 10,000 posts. At a conservative 3 minutes per post--two minutes to read the topic and previous posts, 30 seconds to type a response and 30 seconds of processing time (computer AND human)--that's about 500 hours, about a quarter of a year. Shit, over 3 years that's almost a month vacation time per! I think AI should give an award for the 10k milestone--10 share of Appl, maybe? If it was legal, the logical donor would be Apple--look at all the free publicity they get!.

PS At the rate I type, read and think (and my G4 Ibook and TWC process!), it'd take me a hundred years to reach 10k posts. Props to you!

Well thanks, I think.

But, you should go to ARs, there are posters there with over 50 thousand posts. I don't even have 2 thousand there.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Gary Kildall's CP/M. IBM's first choice for an OS.

Gary Kildall, what a sad story..... I read one history rehashing account that if it is accurate was VERY sad indeed... Funny thing is, even with google I can't seem to find that 'rehash' ANYWHERE and yea I'm wearing my tinfoil hat... but that's **REALLY** strange.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:

Exactly. Seems way too optimistic, although I remain hopeful.

Don't forget that Apple's stock has just gone from $51 to $143.75 in less than twelve months. It's true that it was at $86 first, and then dropped back down, but still...

I certainly don't see over $200 by the end of the 2008 financial year to be farfetched.

It all depends on performance, and expectations.

First, we'll see how it does on the 25th.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:

BTW, thanks for the CLWR suggestion!

Sure. It's moving now. I has some vague feelings about a Sprint deal, but couldn't pin it down.

Too bad the market dropped so far today, or it could have ended at $34.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Think about that company out of Waterloo, Ont

RIMM

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#char...urce=undefined

Killer technology for tech addicts....

While RIM looks good now, I think it is in long term trouble.

Several companies that offer professional services for mobile use are working with the iPhone with secure services. This is what RIM does. At least two also offer remote phone sync, also a RIM service.

With Job's statement that we will see more Exchange support for the iPhone "soon", I don't think that RIM will remain with much of an advantage.

In addition, RIM has been branching out into the consumer market with the Pearl, and other similar models.

These don't have an alphanumeric keyboard. Some other models have small versions. None are easy to type on.

I've been reading reviews where people are shedding their Pearls for iPhones. this will slow, and possibly stop, RIM's expansion out of the corporate space.

with the services the iPhone is now already getting, is there any doubt that it will expand into the corporate space?

Not for me.

RIM will have to find more of a way to fight this than they have, in offering some more API's.

Long run—RIM is in trouble (not to mention Windows Mobile, and Palm (OOps! I just did mention them.)).
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:

Anyways, just wanted to share my view ...

I have been an Apple fan since the early 90's ... and I am so happy to see that Apple is finally being seen and recognized for its forward thinking.

I strongly believe that Apple is the next Microsoft (should have been this way long ago).

My theory is simple, MS got lucky early ... got people used to its product and kept copying Apple's innovation to stay ahead ... Apple has finally broke through the pack and taken a huge lead ....

Thanks to iPod people I realizing that Apple products are not only easy to use but elegant ... so now people will slowly switch to Apple ... and they won't be disappointed.

Peace!

Well, hello.

• Reply 34 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Gary Kildall, what a sad story..... I read one history rehashing account that if it is accurate was VERY sad indeed... Funny thing is, even with google I can't seem to find that 'rehash' ANYWHERE and yea I'm wearing my tinfoil hat... but that's **REALLY** strange.

Dave

The story is that Kildall liked his leasure. He had a boat. He was on it when IBM wanted to meet. He didn't want to leave his boat and go to a meet.

IBM turned to Gates and asked what to do. Gates said that they just happened to have an OS that IBM might like. They had bought it shortly before, for $50 thousand, from Seattle Computer. A CP/M derivative, that became DOS.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The story is that Kildall liked his leasure. He had a boat. He was on it when IBM wanted to meet. He didn't want to leave his boat and go to a meet.

IBM turned to Gates and asked what to do. Gates said that they just happened to have an OS that IBM might like. They had bought it shortly before, for $50 thousand, from Seattle Computer. A CP/M derivative, that became DOS.

Ummm when you said boat.... I think you were **really** thinking **plane**... but yea thats the gist of it... the specific story that I'd read was very detailed and even went into post IBM/MS deals and further developed into multimedia ideas that Kildall had that purportedly Gates stole....
  • Reply 36 of 107
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

the specific story that I'd read was very detailed and even went into post IBM/MS deals and further developed into multimedia ideas that Kildall had that purportedly Gates stole....

How dare you imply that Microsoft stole ideas from someone else - shame on you for even thinking such a thing.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am. I bought at 35, 60, 78 and 138. At what point do you have any faith? At 35 all I read was... "It will never do better"

This is a brilliant strategy for Apple shares. Well done mate. ...You have several "backup" or "deprecate" layers where you can shed your shares while still maintaining high profitability due to previously bought shares. At the same time you are poised to capture $5, $10, $20, etc. gains as the share price progresses.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't forget that Apple's stock has just gone from $51 to $143.75 in less than twelve months. It's true that it was at $86 first, and then dropped back down, but still...

I certainly don't see over $200 by the end of the 2008 financial year to be farfetched.

It all depends on performance, and expectations.

First, we'll see how it does on the 25th.

I'm worried about the 25th. Did you see the smack down google got for missing the numbers?

You're dead on about the expectations part. What is the street looking for inside the numbers? Do they want to see 1 million iPhones sold since it's intro? Are they going to look at Mac sales and scrutinize those? Even if Apple meets or beats the estimates any weakness in specific products such as iPod sales, Mac sales or iPhone sales could cause a big sell off. It's hard to predict what part of the number 'the street' will place the greatest importance.

Of course that could then be a buying opportunity.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm worried about the 25th. Did you see the smack down google got for missing the numbers?

You're dead on about the expectations part. What is the street looking for inside the numbers? Do they want to see 1 million iPhones sold since it's intro? Are they going to look at Mac sales and scrutinize those? Even if Apple meets or beats the estimates any weakness in specific products such as iPod sales, Mac sales or iPhone sales could cause a big sell off. It's hard to predict what part of the number 'the street' will place the greatest importance.

Of course that could then be a buying opportunity.

They'll look at all of that. then they will look at what Apple does and doesn't say in the conference call. Any hints, and depreciation.

I think that weakness in iPod sales is going to be difficult to analyze this time around, unless sales are either way above, or below expectations. Sales have drifted down the last few months, though are still well above last years numbers. I expected this after Jobs announced the iPhone in January. I'm sure many others did. Jobs talk of cannibalization shows that Apple expects it as well.

Will they beat the numbers? I think they will. Some analysts seem to be unsure of how many Macs were sold, giving numbers, but warning that the actual numbers may be higher.

The stock has moved up for a number of reasons. One is that there have been several companies with solutions to the lack of secure corporate email services for the iPhone. deep cuts into RIMs territory are seen.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

45 million iPhones in 09 seems very optimistic.

I can't see it happening without 1 or 2 more iPhone models.

Still Munster is a respected Apple analyst.

For gawd's sake ! The man is named after a cheese.