Introducing Molly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

We need pics of Molly with a (sacrificial) philosphy text...

• Reply 22 of 135
    Molly. ACK, how I hate that name!

(not your fault, just an ex-girlfriend who completely ruined the awesomeness of that name)

cute dog though
  • Reply 23 of 135
    Great pets.

My 1st cousins have two. Cricket and Thibedeaux.

The barely have enough room for them both. They live on 15 acres. Good luck
  • Reply 24 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Great pets.

My 1st cousins have two. Cricket and Thibedeaux.

The barely have enough room for them both. They live on 15 acres. Good luck

Well, my backyard is a 10K foot mountain and a massive network of trails, so we're hoping we'll be ok.
  • Reply 25 of 135
    A Bubble Buddy Bubble Machine (sold as the Bubblemac in Ireland so it must be good).

Or there's the Fetch-A-Bubble Machine but it only comes in chicken flavored bubbles.

A dog agility tyre. I bet you could make one, you resourceful old thing.

Bob has a set of these sausages on a rope. Well, he has 3 left and one of them is estranged from the other two.

Sexy lingerie to slip into after a hard day chasing bubbles, jumping through tires, and tugging on sausage ropes (comes in different sizes).......

..........and some bedtime reading.

Toys, fashion, toys, intellectual stimulation and more toys. Yep, that should see Molly pretty set I think.
  • Reply 26 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Well, my backyard is a 10K foot mountain and a massive network of trails, so we're hoping we'll be ok.

Ah hell you'll be fine then. I thought someone alluded to you living in a small area of a city.

Have fun. dogs are a blast
  • Reply 27 of 135
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

A Bubble Buddy Bubble Machine (sold as the Bubblemac in Ireland so it must be good).

Or there's the Fetch-A-Bubble Machine but it only comes in chicken flavored bubbles.

A dog agility tyre. I bet you could make one, you resourceful old thing.

Bob has a set of these sausages on a rope. Well, he has 3 left and one of them is estranged from the other two.

Sexy lingerie to slip into after a hard day chasing bubbles, jumping through tires, and tugging on sausage ropes (comes in different sizes).......

..........and some bedtime reading.

Toys, fashion, toys, intellectual stimulation and more toys. Yep, that should see Molly pretty set I think.

Wow, them's the goods.

I particularly like the look of crushing, bottomless despair on the dog regarding the forever out of reach bubble. Good times.
  • Reply 28 of 135
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    They can be vindictive. (Separation anxiety?) After leaving her over a long weekend, ours _neatly_ dug up a row of my mother's rose bushes.

Nothing worse than a satirical canine.
  • Reply 29 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

They can be vindictive. (Separation anxiety?) After leaving her over a long weekend, ours _neatly_ dug up a row of my mother's rose bushes.

Nothing worse than a satirical canine.

Yeah. We're working on getting her used to us not being around, but we're also crate-training. Usually, we leave for an hour or an hour and a half and come home to find her sacked out in her crate. We don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adda

I particularly like the look of crushing, bottomless despair on the dog regarding the forever out of reach bubble. Good times.

I know, or like he's gazing up at a vision of the Virgin Mary he's just spotted. And that's not what they do at all.

You have to get her a Bubble Buddy, midwinter. I think it's the one I saw on TV. Spews out bubbles at a ferocious rate. Dog goes apeshit. You probably wouldn't even need to walk her. I've already tried to get Bob one but as soon as they show them on telly, they sell out everywhere.

BTW, just noticed, Molly the Collie. Nice. You must mollycoddle Molly the Collie.

I was wondering if you'd considered half a dozen Aibo for round the house?
  • Reply 31 of 135
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Good collie Miss Molly! It's like a variation on the song title thread.
  • Reply 32 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm not gonna ask what that green thing is, because it looks like it might be something dirty.

That would be known as a chew toy...
  • Reply 33 of 135
    since when when has midwinter been dyslexic?
  • Reply 34 of 135
    BUMP!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Here's where we stand now:

She's almost 13 weeks old. Has only peed in the house a couple of times, and only when she was excited about something. Only pooped in the house twice, and both, we suspect, on a spot on a rug where a (now dead) cat had peed.

She comes when called. Sits on command. Lays down. Fetches most of the time. Leash trained as much as puppies can be. Does not leave the yard or run in the street unless she's following me. Sits at every intersection before crossing the street, sometimes even without being told. She never gets crated more than about 3 hours, and only then on Tuesday nights when my wife and I both teach. Other than that, we're here with her almost all the time.

She gets a long walk at least twice a day, and most mornings she runs, off-leash, with a couple of young golden retrievers in the enormous park around the corner from us. How enormous? 5 soccer fields are contained in it, but do not take up all the space.

We set up lots of play dates, like this one, with a friend's boxer:

They clearly have problems getting along:

A good friend has a springer spaniel who has become Molly's bestest friend in the whole wide world. That same friend's mother has a 4 year-old border collie who is her second-bestest friend.

We've been working hard to socialize her with other dogs, and the only problem we've had is with an 80-pound lab who is overprotective of a friend's new baby, but we're continuing that integration process now that we know about his being overprotective.

I swear, I couldn't have asked for a better experience with a puppy.

And on the "task" front, I'm devising completely devious things for her to do, such as getting a pig's ear out of a tupperware container. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    It would seem that you have the 'hard' part behind you. Are you going to take Molly to an obedience school?

BTW, do you find the transition difficult from talking 'baby talk' to Molly to adult speech when you are in adult company? My daughter's dog is going on three and my daughter still talks baby talk to her.

Who's the Alpha 'dog' in your house? You or your wife?
  • Reply 36 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur

Who's the Alpha 'dog' in your house? You or your wife?

Lucky you're a long way from Mrs midwinter. That's the sort of question that could get you into a whole heap of trouble.
  • Reply 37 of 135
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Lucky you're a long way from Mrs midwinter. That's the sort of question that could get you into a whole heap of trouble.

That was a straight forward question, not a slur. A dog knows its place in the chain in any 'pack'. You and your wife are parts of Molly's pack. ONLY one person (dog or human) is the pack leader - the Alpha dog. Early in a pup's life, she KNOWS who her pack leader is. It becomes more apparent as the dog gets older. Usually, the dog ALWAYS obeys the Alpha and sometimes others dependent upon where she stands in the hierarchy.

When my ex-wife remarried, she took our dog with her. She and her new husband had a difficult time with the dog because I was the Alpha male. When I'd go to their house to pick up my daughters, the dog would run to me and show obeisance. It was only after they moved out of town that the dog eventually acclimated.
  • Reply 38 of 135
    Heh. I *think* I'm the alpha, but right now it's difficult to tell.

And upthread there was concern about having plenty of space. We just took her for a little exercise in the park, and I took this:

This is, I don't know, maybe a one minute walk from my front door. This is not the park I mentioned earlier (it was full of helicopters, for some bizarre reason). This is the public tennis courts across the street and just to the north of the park. Behind this, you can see the public golf course and then the mountain, which has something like 200 miles of trails.
  • Reply 39 of 135
    Um sequitur, my comment was a joke. Hence the laughing smiling. But don't worry. I understand. You're American.

(I'll just walk away while that one drops like a lead balloon......)

Anyway, midwinter, what about the Bubble Buddy Bubble Machine? You're not depriving poor Molly are you?
  • Reply 40 of 135
    Quote:

Um sequitur, my comment was a joke. Hence the laughing smiling. But don't worry. I understand. You're American.

(I'll just walk away while that one drops like a lead balloon......)

Anyway, midwinter, what about the Bubble Buddy Bubble Machine? You're not depriving poor Molly are you?

Yup. I'm getting one. Probably within the next couple of weeks (I'm waiting on my normal pay to kick in now that the summer's over...London was expensive+new leaf springs on my truck+$75 here and there means I've been broke for weeks).