Introducing Molly

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Reminds me of watching my neighbor's lab try to take a shit when there was 3 feet of snow on the ground.
  • Reply 62 of 135
    BTW, love that pic of Molly with her head buried in the snow. Being privileged enough to share in a dog's pure joie de vie and sheer delight at "getting amongst it" is one of life's most underrated pleasures.

Except of course when it involves rolling in those huge bird poos that straw-necked ibises drop all over the local playing fields.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

BTW, love that pic of Molly with her head buried in the snow. Being privileged enough to share in a dog's pure joie de vie and sheer delight at "getting amongst it" is one of life's most underrated pleasures.

Except of course when it involves rolling in those huge bird poos that straw-necked ibises drop all over the local playing fields.

She's quite the snow dog.

• Reply 64 of 135
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Quick update.

We are pleased to report a marked improvement in the last 24 hours in both appetite and bodily functions.

Bob indicated his desire to go out this morning so we enjoyed our first walkies together in over a week.

And yes Houston, we have poo! Quite a lot. He fell over twice in the attempt and managed to sit in one deposit. Given the logistical problems involved in being a dog trying to shit when you're right hind leg is out of action, it's hard to see how he could have achieved a result before now.

Yay! Go Bob! Shit, Bob, shit!

How's his get-along? Is walkies a sort of lurching affair? Glad he's feeling better, at any rate.

Quote:

.........Except of course when it involves rolling in those huge bird poos that straw-necked ibises drop all over the local playing fields.

I hate it when that happens. Wait, I mean "Holy shit! You have straw-necked ibises on your playing fields!"

Here in Oakland we have pigeons, seagulls and dead people.
  • Reply 65 of 135
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

She's quite the snow dog.

She looks like she suspects there might be some elk showing up soon that will require herding.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    That's about one step away from "the eye," which is that staredown thing that BCs do.

The pictures really don't do it justice, since it just looks like they're just looking. But it's this really, really intensely focused stare where they'll sometimes stand completely still while while they stare down whatever it is. I believe I read somewhere that it's one of the few traits they're bred for.

These days, Molly usually gives the eye to a yellow frisbee that she has just recently (as in the last couple of days) started to catch in the air.
  • Reply 67 of 135
    To which I add:

• Reply 68 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adda

How's his get-along?

His new nickname is Hop- Along Bob. Recovery is now happening apace. He's got a bit of the circus dog about him. Likes to dance around on his hind legs (attempted this today) and does vertical jumps up to about 4 feet off the ground from a standing start. How the hell am I supposed to control these behaviors? Not to mention the blitz thing the bichons do. Which is what he was doing when he injured himself.

He also had a go at his fuck buddy tonight. An old quilt he moulds into an appropriate shape (did I mention he's also a soft materials constructionist?) and tries to screw (he's desexed). Kinda like the canine equivalent of a blow-up doll.

Quote:

You have straw-necked ibises on your playing fields!"

Here in Oakland we have pigeons, seagulls and dead people.

The ibises eat grubs that pupate in the soil and the birds dig them out to feed on.

My encounters with dead people are on the street. Two in the last year. One dying (me and some dude did CPR to no effect) and another just a couple of weeks ago who I had to check for vital signs because the woman who enlisted my help was too scared to go near him (he was just shit-faced fortunately). Although there was the burning woman in the park last summer. Luckily I didn't witness that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

To which I add:

<snip>

You know about Footrot Flats. Yep a whole comic strip about a border collie. They made a move of it too.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    Quote:

His new nickname is Hop- Along Bob. Recovery is now happening apace. He's got a bit of the circus dog about him. Likes to dance around on his hind legs (attempted this today) and does vertical jumps up to about 4 feet off the ground from a standing start. How the hell am I supposed to control these behaviors?

Unfortunately, there is only one solution to this: change his name to Harrison and cover him in weights.

Quote:

You know about Footrot Flats. Yep a whole comic strip about a border collie. They made a move of it too.

Oooooooh. Very cool.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

Unfortunately, there is only one solution to this: change his name to Harrison and cover him in weights.

I was thinking of an anvil attached by a foot long length of rope.

Stitches out and all well. He was a bit peeved because it wasn't our usual vet on duty and he didn't get a treat at the end.

So here's the World Famous Li'l Bobby Dog Song. It can be sung to any tune or musical style, or spoken as a poem.

He's a Li'l Bobby Dog

He's doing Bobby Dog things;

He's snifflin' and he's snufflin'

And he's eating chicky wings.

He's a Li'l Bobby Dog

He's a happy kind of chap

He likes a bit of lovin'

When he jumps up on your lap.

There's a third verse about his penchant for singing to the slide guitar solo in John Hiatt's "Lipstick Sunset" but it still needs work.

So what's Molly's Song midwinter? Let's hear it!
  • Reply 71 of 135
    Quote:

So what's Molly's Song midwinter? Let's hear it!

It's a continual improv of the Malvina Reynolds song "Little Boxes." I should record it at some point... But the lyrics have usually gone something like this:

Molly Collie on the hillside

Molly Collie made of other collies

And they're all made out of collies

And they all look just the same

There's a green one

And a pink one

And a blue one

And a yellow one

It sounds mean, but it's a really versatile lyric.
  • Reply 72 of 135
    My doggy

Yes, the picture is a bit photoshopped. Why? Because it was for a project last year. My dog, a like Molly, loves the snow. She is a Bouvier-Noir, and her breed is used for people who need seeing eye dogs. She is very smart, and fat D:

here's another one i just took today:

• Reply 73 of 135
    Quote:

It's a continual improv of the Malvina Reynolds song "Little Boxes." I should record it at some point... But the lyrics have usually gone something like this:

Molly Collie on the hillside

Molly Collie made of other collies

There's a green one

And a pink one

And a blue one

And a yellow one

It sounds mean, but it's a really versatile lyric.

I loved that song as a little kid (the Rolf Harris version) and based a "book" I wrote (and illustrated) on it when I was about 7 or 8. I still have it.

I think you should change the verse (There's a green one......etc) to:

There's black and white ones

And black and white ones

And black and white ones

And black and white ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

My dog, a like Molly, loves the snow. She is a Bouvier-Noir, and her breed is used for people who need seeing eye dogs. She is very smart, and fat D:

Never heard of the breed but love the oooh la la name.

Reminds me of the time Bob visited the local branch of Alliançe Francaise in search of his French roots.

But those damn Frenchies treated him like a doormat.

Singing Bob and friend.

• Reply 74 of 135
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

What about the glasses and thought disrupting earphones?
  • Reply 75 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What about the glasses and thought disrupting earphones?

You don't have yours already?
  • Reply 76 of 135
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Last year I was at the local renaissance festival and was stunned to see a little gang of sheep tripping across the hill nipping at the tourist-trampled grass, looking mildly cross at a whistling noise floating through the air. I was all like "What the hell's happening??" when I saw a janky black shape shoot out and hang a hard left, a harder right, finally snapping to a halt like a fighter jet on the deck of an aircraft carrier. BAM! dead stop.

Of course it was a border collie.

Turns out that I was seeing a demonstration of border collies at work, herding sheep. The dogs didn't look overjoyed at having real sheep to work, they looked intent and businesslike... this is what they do for a living.

What's funny is, this little pack of demonstration sheep *almost* seem to have learned what the whistles meant... often moving to the intended spot before the dog had time to "work them".
  • Reply 77 of 135
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    get used to some major activity--i had a family friend that used theirs for cattle and on the off times, the mom would tell "shelly" to get the kids and she would go through the neighborhood rounding up the kids. it was hilarious. the dog would go door to door bark and "herd" the kids home. funny funny, thought it was a trick. the dog i guess tell which "hood" in the area they were by smell. awesome animal very smart and a great family pet. a bit active but sweet
  • Reply 78 of 135
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

You don't have yours already?

Well of course not, my thoughts are... (BRANG, CLANG, GOOOOOOOOOOONG).......

um... what ... uh... oh yeah... vote Democratic.

Nick
  • Reply 79 of 135
  • Reply 80 of 135
    I had that darn Molly Collie song stuck in my head for 3 days straight.

I see there's still a bit of work to be done on the whole fetch thing.