Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 541 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

However, a MBP ($1999) + 24" Dell ($580) is cheaper than a MB ($1099) + iMac 24" ($1999) and my MBP is quiet except when I'm really pushing it. You only need to max out the ram on one box and when you are mobile you have a far more capable machine.

The thing is that the 15" MBP just isn't portable enough for me, it also doesn't fit on the tables of the trains I ride a lot. So it's not an option. A 13" MBP would perhaps be an option, but I doubt it would have much better cooling than the MB.

Since I work with music part time, I need a computer that's quiet even on heavy loads. It is really annoying to hear that tiny laptop fan cutting through the music all the time. The beauty of the iMac 24" is that it keeps pretty quiet even with CPU intensive tasks.

I just hope that doesn't change with the update.

Syncing data is surely a pain. But on the upside, it will force me to make backups pretty much every day. Another good thing about having two computers is that my computer is my income, and if I drop the MB or it gets stolen I'll have to replace it within the same day. But if I keep an iMac at the office with a fresh backup of the files I'm working on, I can just get over there and carry on working.
  • Reply 542 of 564
    40 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 543 of 564
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    new iMacs new iMacs new iMacs
  • Reply 544 of 564
    -3 minutes...
  • Reply 544 of 564
    It has started and there's something that looks about 30" under a black cloth on the stage. I wonder what it could be!!!
  • Reply 546 of 564
    "Today's focus is on the iMac,"
  • Reply 547 of 564
    Can we watch the video live? If yes, where?
  • Reply 548 of 564
    "iMacs have been very successful, and we'd like to make it even better," he said. Apple is borrowing two elements from its pro products for this new generation of iMac -- aluminum and silicon dioxide, better known as glass.
  • Reply 549 of 564
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samnrv View Post

Can we watch the video live? If yes, where?

I doubt it... even the text only feeds are grinding to a halt... could only imagine what a site would be like if it had audio or dare I say video...

D

P.S. Thanks applemarc for providing event coverage... I can't get to any of them...
  • Reply 550 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I doubt it... even the text only feeds are grinding to a halt... could only imagine what a site would be like if it had audio or dare I say video...

D

P.S. Thanks applemarc for providing event coverage... I can't get to any of them...

Right... So please, Applemarc, post as much as you can !!!
  • Reply 551 of 564
    "So what would an iMac look like if we upgraded it and made it out of aluminum and glass?" Jobs ruminated. And then he displayed the new device.

The new iMac is thinner than before, and comes in two sizes: 20 and 24 inch. It features audio input and output, three USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400 and 800, Gigabit Ethernet and video out. The slot-loading "SuperDrive" has been retained, along with a built-in iSight webcam and microphone.

The displays have a glossy sheen to them, which Jobs says Apple's customers have told them they love. He says the glossy display is better for displaying photos and movies.

To complement the sleek new aluminum design of the iMac, the system also has a new keyboard -- confirming rumors that first appeared about a week ago, the keyboard shares the same thin design. It also sports special dedicated keys -- dimmer, brighter, Exposé, Dashboard and media controls.

A new wireless keyboard and "Mighty Mouse" are also available. Both use Bluetooth 2.0.

Inside the iMac are Intel Core 2 Duo processors clocked from to 2.4GHz to 2.8 GHz in Configure To Order (CTO) offerings. They support up to 4GB of RAM, and feature ATI Radeon HD 2400XT graphics. They also feature hard disk drives up to 1 terabyte (TB) in capacity, and feature 802.11n wireless networking standard.

The new iMac is being offered in three basic configurations: An $1,199 model with 20-inch display, 2.0GHz processor, 250GB hard disk; a $1,499 model clocked at 2.4GHz with a 320GB drive for4 $1,499, and a 24-inch model for $1,799.

All models will be available starting today, said Jobs.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08...vent/index.php

Incase anybody hasn't found this yet.
  • Reply 552 of 564
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Well, that took 15 minutes.
  • Reply 553 of 564
    New iMacs are nice
  • Reply 554 of 564
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Hey everybody, long time no see...

Engadget has some pictures from the event: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/l...ss-conference/

best,

durandal
  • Reply 555 of 564
    iLife 08!

The biggest jump since iLife was introduced!

• Reply 556 of 564
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro video card? Hmm....I seriously hope there is another video option available.
  • Reply 557 of 564
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Might I ask why? The 2600 is one ATI's best offerings. It's no 2900, but still.
  • Reply 558 of 564
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    iMovie update looks nice.
  • Reply 559 of 564
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Might I ask why? The 2600 is one ATI's best offerings. It's no 2900, but still.

A $100 video card is rarely a "good" thing, IMO. Do you know where we can find some reviews on it?

EDIT - "It's hard to recommend the Radeon HD 2600 Pro. The $100 price seems attractive, but it comes at a cost. To get good performance out of even year-old games, you'll need to start cranking detail levels down, even at the conservative resolution of 1280x1024. Forget about DX10 stuff: So far, it all runs like molasses."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2151679,00.asp

NOT too encouraging.
  • Reply 560 of 564
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    .mac still seems a little light to me for $99. I dunno. I will probably run out and get iWork today and wait on iLife to get with Leopard.