Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 564
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

European Guy! Welcome back; it's been a while. Any riddles this time?

Oh, no, don't scratch those wounds.
  • Reply 82 of 564
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I've never understood this logic. It seems that this is a perfect time for a new iMac, as it will help keep sales robust prior to Leopard's release.

Yes. Holding the grain on the Mac side of things until Leopard. New iPods... pushed to September, also to sustain some boost before October Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ha! It's only money.

It'll go up again. The market sucks right now.

I was busy until this evening, with my daughter.

To the subject at hand.

I agree that is shouldn't be a Mac Pro or MBP. The MBP was just updated, as was mentioned.

I can see some updates to the Mac Pro, but that's all.

The iMac seems to be the computer of the hour here.

I'm wondering though, if we will get news of the Mini, or a possible replacement.

Mac Mini is dead. Long live the iMac, AppleTV and MacBook.

New ultraportable MacBookPro would be the badass "one more thing" or "one last thing"
  • Reply 83 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

My prediction:

2.2ghz 20" $1299 1GB RAM 256mb 8600M GT

2.4ghz 24" $1699 2GB RAM 512mb 8700M GT

I know I'm dreaming, but an iMac with a user-replaceable video card would be a good middle-of-the-road option. Not sure if it would even be possible to engineer such a thing, especially with the reports of Apple trying to make them even thinner (why? how thin does the thing have to be?). But, I would see that as the major component a gamer would want to replace. And the processor, but engineering a user-replaceable processor hatch shouldn't be too hard (of course Intel will probably just change the CPU-motherboard interface making new processors unusable). And if it's going to be a game machine, maybe build in a PhysX card and a better sound card.

Yeah, if they do all that, they might as well just bring out the mythical midtower.

Quote:

Bottom end configurations and Mac Mini dropped. Apple perplexed when Mac sales start to drop because of this due to lose of low end and education customers.

They might just be looking for an excuse to drop the desktop lines (except the Mac Pro). Poorly-spec'ed iMacs at high prices would certain do that. Apple can then show stats on how desktop sales had dropped, tout the continued increase of laptop (sorry, portable) sales.
  • Reply 84 of 564
    You heard it here first: I predict: The big keywords everyone is forgeting is : GAMING IS BACK ON THE MAC.

Cider.

Transgaming.

Electronic Arts.

Harry Potter (perfect timing, no? ) , NeedForSpeed: Carbon, Command&Conquer3 (it's decent...),

Officially should be full announced, some demoed at the event:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?, Madden NFL® 08, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 08, Need for Speed? Carbon, Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars? and Battlefield 2142?.

DawnOfWar works quite well at this stage on hacked Cider. Also NeedForSpeed MostWanted.
  • Reply 85 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I know I'm dreaming, but an iMac with a user-replaceable video card would be a good middle-of-the-road option. Not sure if it would even be possible to engineer such a thing, especially with the reports of Apple trying to make them even thinner (why? how thin does the thing have to be?). But, I would see that as the major component a gamer would want to replace. And the processor, but engineering a user-replaceable processor hatch shouldn't be too hard (of course Intel will probably just change the CPU-motherboard interface making new processors unusable). And if it's going to be a game machine, maybe build in a PhysX card and a better sound card.

Yeah, if they do all that, they might as well just bring out the mythical midtower.

They might just be looking for an excuse to drop the desktop lines (except the Mac Pro). Poorly-spec'ed iMacs at high prices would certain do that. Apple can then show stats on how desktop sales had dropped, tout the continued increase of laptop (sorry, portable) sales.

No MidTower, sorry. ...I know some people that "live there", but there is sadly IMHO simply no space (physically, metaphorically) for it in Apple's universe.
  • Reply 86 of 564
    gatorgator Posts: 10member
    From Wired.Com comes this pic of what could well be the new iMac:

Opinions?
  • Reply 87 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

im super excited for the new iMac, can't wait to see what Apple planned for this one. NEW iPods too!!!!??? nah, not till october

confirmed no iPods, so probably september though to maintain revenue through to Leopard madness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

no, he's alive and posting at a startling 9.2 a day with the last one 10 minutes ago.

Nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hey! I go DAYS without posting.

OMFG I think this is the first time Melgross used a custom smiley !! OMFG

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I want a Macbook with intel x3100 gpu and a MOBO that supports 2x 2gb ram DIMMs so it can meet my needs for he next ~3-4 years...

Maybe we will see MBPs with new enclosures that add the ease of expandability as the Macbooks.

and santa rosa metal iMacs too i suppose...YAWN

I don't think any Intel integrated GPU can hold a candle to an nVidia 8-series mobile GPU. Also, for what it is worth, you *can* use 2x2gb RAM in Core2Duo MacBooks. Of course though, you're looking at 3GB max. But better than the officially spec'ed 2GB.
  • Reply 88 of 564
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gator View Post

Opinions?

that is ugly

does anyone remebers the all clear design someone posted on here once? now, that was one cool computer... is the only mock up i've seen so far that would be better looking than the iMac G4.. altho i doubt it's feasible.

i can't see apple being able to come out with anything as beautiful as the iMac G4...
  • Reply 89 of 564
    I'm hoping IF they do come out with Mac Mini Pro, it has HDMI... aka Apple TV 2.0/pro
  • Reply 90 of 564
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard View Post

Great post - we need more people like you around here!

Welcome.

HEY! How'd you get your "Registered User" tagline changed when you only have 63 posts??? I thought you needed 1000?

I feel CHEATED!
  • Reply 91 of 564
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Opinions?

It is me or this is a red painted Mac Pro with the upper handles chopped off? Oh wait, it comes with a display soldered on the side and the new keyboard! ROTFLMAO
  • Reply 92 of 564
    THe mockup is nice but is IMO not quite what the new iMac will look like. First of all the screen is not in eye height and furhter more it's missing a foot. A screen must have the ability to tilt or even be adjusted in height
  • Reply 93 of 564
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Opinions?

That is truly hideous. If it is something like that, I may just buy another PC to replace my desktop.
  • Reply 94 of 564
    Hope this isn't off topic, but if they do announce the new imac on Tuesday how long does it take before it usually shows up in the Mac retail stores???
  • Reply 95 of 564
    Sometimes that same day.

Sometimes weeks later.

Here's to hoping it's the former.
  • Reply 96 of 564
    Normally I would order online but I just moved here to the US from Ireland so I'm finally near an apple store So hears hoping that it will be out right away. We've no apple retail store in Ireland only 3rd party places.
  • Reply 97 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

that is ugly

does anyone remebers the all clear design someone posted on here once? now, that was one cool computer... is the only mock up i've seen so far that would be better looking than the iMac G4.. altho i doubt it's feasible.

i can't see apple being able to come out with anything as beautiful as the iMac G4...

You mean this one:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

It is me or this is a red painted Mac Pro with the upper handles chopped off? Oh wait, it comes with a display soldered on the side and the new keyboard! ROTFLMAO

Yep that's exactly what you see there! Shocking mock up.
  • Reply 98 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

HEY! How'd you get your "Registered User" tagline changed when you only have 63 posts??? I thought you needed 1000?

I feel CHEATED!

you have less than 800 posts and it says registered user on your tagline
  • Reply 99 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

You mean this one:

yeah.. that one. IS BEAUTIFUL! and look at that teeny key board.. much better looking than that heinous one that leaked a few days ago...

apple lost it's edge \

Quote:

Yep that's exactly what you see there! Shocking mock up.

to me it looks like the studio display with a metal finish
  • Reply 100 of 564
    Quote:

Opinions?

Not to keen on the red. Please be "silver" aluminum as well. Note the name of the photo is alumac-2.jpg. Not lilke iMac-1.jpg. Or something.