gMac (game Mac)

---------------------------

Quad Core desktop CPU (not the xeons)

1 GB RAM (4 free slots)

500 GB HDD - options again

GPU - real desktop GPU with more options for more $$$

4 USB, 1 Firewire 400, 1 Firewire 800

Double the mac mini size or half of the Mac Pro size

$1599 (thats is 400 to 500 dollar premium for apple)

one config all the others built-to-order, only for GAMERS!

i wonder how game consoles are so small and yet powerful for games? but why all the PC boxes needs to be big?
  • Reply 82 of 184
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it may look strange, retire Mac Pro

reserve Xeon class CPUs only for xServes, Mac Community long using Xeon class machines for desktops (not workstations)
  • Reply 83 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

gMac (game Mac)

1 GB RAM (4 free slots)

try 4 ram slot base ram 2gb 2 free slots.
  • Reply 84 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Marvin hit the nail almost right on the head.

There is no reason that a basic mini-tower form-factor could not span a wide price range, with the internals determining the price.

The form-factor would probably be something cube-like. I'm not a designer or a photoshopper so I can't do a mock-up , but I have absolute confidence that Ive and his team could come up with something you'd be proud to have on your desk rather than under it.

I envisage something very similar to Marvin, but with small differences:

The form-factor would have room for two internal HDDs, but one optical drive.

A starting price of $499 (including keyboard and mouse). This would have an integrated GPU, possibly no bluetooth or WiFi if this was necessary to meet the price point. There would be two PCIe slots, allowing for an upgrade to the GPU (higher-priced standard configs would use the PCIe slot to deliver higher-performance graphics) and the installation of one other card - e.g. sound card (the motherboard would of course have on-board audio, but a dedicated card can deliver higher performance), TV tuner card etc.

The range could top out at $2200 with a quad 2.4 GHz Conroe, 4 GB RAM, 2 HDDs, high-performance GPU etc.

a WiFi card should also be BTO as a add on.
  • Reply 85 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

a WiFi card should also be BTO as a add on.

Indeed. Bluetooth/WiFi would be provided by Apple's standard bluetooth and WiFi modules. If the bottom $499 model didn't have them, they could be added BTO.

Other, more expensive, standard configs would include bluetooth and WiFi as standard.
  • Reply 86 of 184
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FOXPhotog View Post

Ok that's fine. Any bets on if they do it?

FOXPhotog

I would say the odds are even. They've done it in the past with the G5s but there have been periods where they haven't as well. You know. Like right now.

But an xMac? Not since Jobs returned. You're better off hoping for a Cube but that's not too likely either given how dismal the last one did.

Vinea
  • Reply 87 of 184
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

gMac (game Mac)

1 GB RAM (4 free slots)

$1599 (thats is 400 to 500 dollar premium for apple)

one config all the others built-to-order, only for GAMERS!

i wonder how game consoles are so small and yet powerful for games? but why all the PC boxes needs to be big?

That's almost the same spec I gave on the last page of the thread, and I agree. I think it looks good. I think it's right in line with what many people want / or at least what people have been asking for. But I still think the iMac needs better graphics, and they still need a Mac Pro.

If Apple plans to grow to their full potential they need to fill the orders. I think they can sell all these computers today.
  • Reply 88 of 184
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

OK Vinea, maybe you don't know that, but recent Intel's price cuts didn't included the dual-core Xeons (except for the... 5110, used in your Dell example, that went from $209 to $177), all other dual-core Xeon cpus are still at the same price as they were when announced/launched.

Yep, I haven't checked. Makes sense since Intel really isn't under pressure from AMD at the moment in the workstation market.

Quote:

Given Apple's current price structure they can't offer a single 2.0GHz Mac Pro at $1599 without changing also the prices of the rest of the line-up. I'll give you just one reason: people would buy the SP model and add a second cpu for less than $400 to make it a $2000 instead of $2200 for Apple's identical model.

Mkay. So make it a $1,799 for a single 2.66Ghz 5150. Retail it's still running $800 for a final price of $2600 and its still $80 cheaper than the equivalient Dell.

Quote:

But who would buy a dual-core 1.6GHz monster for $1400 (Dell) or a dual-core 2.0GHz for $1600 (Vinea/Apple) just for the sake of the expansion possibilities?

All the folks whining about the iMac?

Quote:

When Acer, HP and Gateway and certainly others offer quad-core desktops cheaper than that (and better equipped), Acer for around $899, HP for $1099 or so...

Have you seen the prices of desktop quad-core chips recently? For half the price of the cpu inside the new $1499 iMac, you can have twice the cores and a faster FSB...

And half the margins except for the Extreme models. Would you like to see a review of a $1099 xMac with the same components of a $899 HP?

"While stylish the xMac is both more expensive and slower than its Windows competitors. It is also hampered by the lack of OSX drivers for the latest video cards..."

The iMac is somewhat more immune to comparisons because its a thin AIO that uses mobile parts. Not the same Conroe in the Dell or HP.

Quote:

Apple (SJ) said Apple is in the business of making the best personal computers, and I agree they are doing just that in the segment they choosed (VSFF, AIO, notebooks, workstations). If they were to enter the "regular" desktop market to make the best computer in this area you have to choose the best platform and today it's clearly Conroe/Kentsfiel and the 30 series chipset. Given the prices of those parts it is clear that you could reach the price points I've already mentionned and make very good margins.

Perhaps the reason that they do NOT enter these markets is because they know that Dell and HP already make the best in class towers and Apple could not exceed the expectations of the market segment that is largely price driven.

So the only folks that would actually buy an overpriced mini-tower from Apple are the same folks that currently buy overpriced AIOs from Apple.

The difference being positive vs negatives hardware reviews of Apple products. What the hell are you going to say about the iMac?

"Well...it really kinds sucks as a mini-tower so its good thing it isn't one. It slaughters the Sony and Gateway offerings so if you're looking for an AIO the iMac certainly the one to get."

Quote:

When people here are asking for a midrange Mac, xMac or whatever, I believe they want a smaller Mac that the Mac Pro but bigger than the mini and more powerful than the mini. Conroe/Kentsfield, the 30 series chipset and a new enclosure would give them just that.

Don't hold your breath. They don't even make a single CPU Mac Pro BTO to make you life better.

Going toe to toe against HP and Dell in the commodity market just ain't happening.

Quote:

If I go back to the title of the thread: "Mac Pro minitower next year!", and while it was been said that "We live in a AIO world.", Apple sometimes changes gears: they said that they will not enter the phone market and they did, thay said that they don't believe in the convergence of products, and they released the 3-in-1 iPhone, they say we live in a AIO world...

And just released an updated iMac that you KNOW would get obliterated by any non-broken implementation of the xMac. Ain't happening next year. Ain't happening unless Apple wishes to shoot the iMac line in the head.

There was a reason they priced the Cube into the stratosphere and the Mini is a poor deal.

Quote:

Since there will not be a mobile quad-core chip before mid 2008 and according to what we can see on the iMac, only the 24" model has enough internal volume too cool efficently extreme editions of mobile chips, we can suppose that mobile quad-core chips will not be largely used on Macs since they are getting thinner and thinner, so at one point, we will have on one side octo-core Mac Pros and on the other side mostly dual-core Macs (mini, iMac, MB, MBP). Don't you see something's missing?

The something missing can be solved with a single CPU version of the Mac Pro qith a quad core Xeon.

Anyway...round and round we go. I promised myself not to engage in further xMac debates so I shall leave you in possession of the field.

Vinea
  • Reply 89 of 184
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That's almost the same spec I gave on the last page of the thread, and I agree. I think it looks good. I think it's right in line with what many people want / or at least what people have been asking for. But I still think the iMac needs better graphics, and they still need a Mac Pro.

If Apple plans to grow to their full potential they need to fill the orders. I think they can sell all these computers today.

sure, i just saw the specs.

Can we setup a online petition to apple for Gaming Mac?
  • Reply 90 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

But an xMac? Not since Jobs returned. You're better off hoping for a Cube but that's not too likely either given how dismal the last one did.

Vinea

I agree. I wish they would make an xMac. But let's face it, if they wanted to do such a machine they could have easily done it by now. There just isn't any desire on Apple's part to do this. I'm hopeful they'll do an ultra portable. But as time goes by that's looking less likely as well.
  • Reply 91 of 184
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    As their market share starts to grow they will eventually have to start filling some gaps. The funny thing is; once they fill the gaps the market share will immediately grow by about 3% because of it. I think they are stupid in this respect. They don't seem to realize that they need to strike while the iron is hot.
  • Reply 92 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

As their market share starts to grow they will eventually have to start filling some gaps. The funny thing is; once they fill the gaps the market share will immediately grow by about 3% because of it. I think they are stupid in this respect. They don't seem to realize that they need to strike while the iron is hot.

I think Apple realizes it and I think they monitor how hot the iron is. They have a chip supply, they have momentum but they don't have Leopard. I will repeat a previous post. Patience.

I would love to see both the xMac and the UMPC out yesterday but it all takes time and timing. As fast as Apple is growing and as fast as they are developing and transitioning OS X to Intel and developing the iPhone it still takes time and employees.

I think there have been some great specs mentioned in this thread for a future xMac that I would definitely buy and I still believe I will have that opportunity after Leopard is released.
  • Reply 93 of 184
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    A mini tower Mac is really the only Mac I would consider buying in the next couple of years.

I'll probably never buy an iMac, especially if Apple continues putting reflective glass over the screen. "Aluminum and Glass" ...what a stupid tag line.

The G5 tower case is so huge, it's ridiculous, and the price is out of sight.

I have a MacBook so I'm all set in the portable department for the next few years.

For years until recently I've been a real Apple fan. That's changing now that Apple is making poor decisions. None of their desktop Macs are appealing anymore.
  • Reply 94 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

What did you expect? There are millions of consumers that would like an xMac. These threads will never go away, ever.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Source?

I'd love to see evidence that Apple is knowingly and actively preventing themselves from instantaneously doubling quarterly sales of computers.
  • Reply 95 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

All you or I need to do is look at what is currently being sold. Towers, the buying public speaks with its' wallet.

And those buying trends will also show you those wallets are handing out as little as possible to get a garbage machine on the cheap. That's hardly a convincing argument.
  • Reply 96 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

And those buying trends will also show you those wallets are handing out as little as possible to get a garbage machine on the cheap. That's hardly a convincing argument.

Not all are "garbage machines." For about $700 you can get a WinPC that is loaded with (most) all the specs the iMacs and MBPs have.

I don't think Apple has to sell a mini tower with all the specs for $700, they just need to sell one for less than and smaller than the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is their ultimate bloated, ugly, overpriced, outdated...

Only a pro with too much money and lots of space wants to buy a Mac Pro. The rest of us have no choice, at all.

Oh, I forgot, "it's an all in one world."
  • Reply 97 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Not all are "garbage machines." For about $700 you can get a WinPC that is loaded with (most) all the specs the iMacs and MBPs have.

I don't think Apple has to sell a mini tower with all the specs for $700, they just need to sell one for less than and smaller than the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is their ultimate bloated, ugly, overpriced, outdated...

Only a pro with too much money and lots of space wants to buy a Mac Pro. The rest of us have no choice, at all.

Oh, I forgot, "it's an all in one world."

You can laugh at the AIO world outlook all you want, but that's exactly where things are heading. The iMac simply leverages this trend to make a simple elegant desktop machine.

It seems to me that Apple is operating under the belief that we're rapidly approaching a point at which there will be little need to upgrade your computers internals. It's certainly been something that people's wallets have voted for, and market research backs this up with the ever increasing growth of portables.

Apple would rather get on board with next years trends than hitch their wagon to last year's. And this bleeds over into their desktop offerings. They simply don't see the low end desktop box market as one worth getting into, and they have proven that for how long now?

Look at it this way: we all know Apple could make a sexy offering in this space. So why don't they? The options are as follows:

a) They don't feel it fits in with their long-term strategy.

b) They don't see as large a demand for these computers as some of you do (and given that they still can't break 2M CPU sales in a quarter, I tend to believe them)

c) It's doable, but not within the margins they want.

d) They know it'd sell well, they know it'd be profitable even within their margins, they just don't make them because Steve doesn't want to.

Steve might not want them, but Steve isn't an idiot... and if he were really that obstructive, you'd hear about a lot more internal conflict than you do now, which is pretty much none.
  • Reply 98 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Midtowers are just like any other and there is very little room for innovation in the design field there.

Sebastian

When you have Jonathan Ive around that statement might have to be eaten sometime in the future.
  • Reply 99 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

When you have Jonathan Ive around that statement might have to be eaten sometime in the future.

So what should we serve in return ever year he fails to cater our crow?
  • Reply 100 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

It seems to me that Apple is operating under the belief that we're rapidly approaching a point at which there will be little need to upgrade your computers internals. It's certainly been something that people's wallets have voted for, and market research backs this up with the ever increasing growth of portables.

If Apple's belief is that there's little need to upgrade a computer's internals, I tend to agree. So Apple should make a decent mini tower that not upgradeable! (In other words, better than the Mac mini.)

It's the externals I'm concerned about. I don't like glossy screens. Now with the iMac, I don't have a choice. (What an idiotic decision on Apple's part!) I like to upgrade my computer and my display independently of each other. Most people do. Even many laptop owners have a separate display.

Steve Jobs can say it's an all in one world all he wants. The fact is it's not. By far, the large majority of desktop computers sold are not all in ones. He's not going to change that. He's only going to hold back the Mac platform by trying.