Apple stirs controversy with iMovie's '08 overhaul

Comments

• Reply 181 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Typical Group 5

All I can say is, thank God Apple doesn't listen to all of these complainers who can't stand anything changing. Don't you realize that's exactly what's wrong with Microsoft? Every time they try to make a big change in their software they have about 9 jillion people bellyaching about how they have to relearn this and that and change their workflows, etc. And MS listens to them, and as a result has these monstrous legacy coded apps, and are afraid to ever do anything revolutionary.

Apple fortunately, when they see that it's time to scratch out and start afresh, they've shown again and again, they're willing to do it. And in spite of all of the "Apple teh screwed us over" "WTF Apple !!11!!" comments on these boards, they keep showing that it is better in the long run to ignore such short-sighted people (well, maybe not completely ignore them, we'll let them download iMovie '06, maybe it'll shut some of up).

Sometimes it hurts to make major corrections late in the game. However, it's got to be done, and the longer it's put off, the harder it is. That's why I don't envy any MS executive or software developer their position.

What I think is even more funny is that people went out and bought a new software package not because the needed it but because Steave Jobs made a Keynote and they all drank the Koolaid.

People that were happy with imovie for some odd reason felt the need to fun out and buy a copy of iLife 08, why?

You notice that if you buy a copy of Toast 8 it tells you all the changes from Toast 7, Apple suite software never does that because all the sheep just go out and buy what Steve tells them is better. If it wasn't so sad to see these moron complain it would be funny.

These guys need to work on a PC for about a year and they will learn, newly released many times means functions are removed in order to get you to upgrade to a paid version.

Buy a PC, yeah right try to find a decent burning software if you dont buy Nero. Photo software, yeah okay good luck on that one too.

For all the old Apple guys this isn't 1977, let me clue you in to something 79.00 for five bundled packages isn't going to get you much.

Also try to actually do some research before grabbing the credit card everytime Steve opens his mouth.

One thing about Steve Jobs and Apple anything they put out is built the way they want you to compute which could very well be the total oppsite of the way you want to compute.

I have iLife 08 for one reason and one reason only it came on my new iMac.

While i'm at it how about that new .mac isn't that a bargain for a whole 10gigs of space. Damn try not to use that all at once.
  • Reply 182 of 289
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What I think is even more funny is that people went out and bought a new software package not because the needed it but because Steave Jobs made a Keynote and they all drank the Koolaid.

People that were happy with imovie for some odd reason felt the need to fun out and buy a copy of iLife 08, why?

You notice that if you buy a copy of Toast 8 it tells you all the changes from Toast 7, Apple suite software never does that because all the sheep just go out and buy what Steve tells them is better. If it wasn't so sad to see these moron complain it would be funny.

These guys need to work on a PC for about a year and they will learn, newly released many times means functions are removed in order to get you to upgrade to a paid version.

Buy a PC, yeah right try to find a decent burning software if you dont buy Nero. Photo software, yeah okay good luck on that one too.

For all the old Apple guys this isn't 1977, let me clue you in to something 79.00 for five bundled packages isn't going to get you much.

Also try to actually do some research before grabbing the credit card everytime Steve opens his mouth.

One thing about Steve Jobs and Apple anything they put out is built the way they want you to compute which could very well be the total oppsite of the way you want to compute.

I have iLife 08 for one reason and one reason only it came on my new iMac.

While i'm at it how about that new .mac isn't that a bargain for a whole 10gigs of space. Damn try not to use that all at once.

Which confirms my theory that one of the downsides of growing market share by attracting former PC users is that it drops the IQ in the room by about 20 points.
  • Reply 183 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which confirms my theory that one of the downsides of growing market share by attracting former PC users is that it drops the IQ in the room by about 20 points.

Thats just silly to say. With all the BS aside both OS platforms have their good points and bad, just like anything else. I mean lets take a reality pill it's not like OSX is hard to use.

If fact doesn't Apple go to great lengths to make it sound like its so easy to use? So who are the simple people? Lets step into reality again, the whole no need for drivers it just plugs in and works, yeah okay we all know that isn't true if you tried to plug in a hp printer lately.

The elite attitude if anything hurts long term Mac users because they just assume a product is going to be good, hense this thread and everyone being upset.

If OSX was that great and the be all to end all then there wouldn't be boot camp and two visualization products to fun Windows.

I run both in my house so the we are better than you just doesn't really fly with me.
  • Reply 184 of 289
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Only thing is, as I see it, the real problem is when you start worrying about market share you become like a politician who is more concerned about getting re-elected then he is about doing the right thing. I only hope that Apple doesn't " forget " what made it such a special company in the first place. Steve Jobs recently said all the right words when he said that Apple cannot ship crap, however, Imovie 8 would seem to be saying " actions speak louder than words".
  • Reply 185 of 289
    Quote:

Thats just silly to say. With all the BS aside both OS platforms have their good points and bad, just like anything else. I mean lets take a reality pill it's not like OSX is hard to use.

If fact doesn't Apple go to great lengths to make it sound like its so easy to use? So who are the simple people? Lets step into reality again, the whole no need for drivers it just plugs in and works, yeah okay we all know that isn't true if you tried to plug in a hp printer lately.

The elite attitude if anything hurts long term Mac users because they just assume a product is going to be good, hense this thread and everyone being upset.

If OSX was that great and the be all to end all then there wouldn't be boot camp and two visualization products to fun Windows.

I run both in my house so the we are better than you just doesn't really fly with me.

We don't "just assume a product is going to be good" because we're elite, we assume a product is going to be good because the past performance of Apple in producing top quality apps has trained us to expect that always, and when, as in the case of Imovie 8, they fall short, we voice our displeasure ........ we just haven't had as much practise as the windows crowd because Apple, thankfully, doesn't disappoint us as often ... Sorry, we'll try harder.
  • Reply 186 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I couldn't agree more. Only thing is, as I see it, the real problem is when you start worrying about market share you become like a politician who is more concerned about getting re-elected then he is about doing the right thing. I only hope that Apple doesn't " forget " what made it such a special company in the first place. Steve Jobs recently said all the right words when he said that Apple cannot ship crap, however, Imovie 8 would seem to be saying " actions speak louder than words".

Yeah this makes total sense. Lets cut back the market share you know back to the 2% days. I'm sure that will inspire developers to come up with new great software.

This whole lets keep everyone out works really well if your 14 years old and going to live in your parents for the rest of your life. For the rest of us that work and live in this little space called reality we would like market share to grow and to have nice software that is cross platform compatible.

I know its a painful thought for the wanna be elite group.

I find it interesting that its the long time Mac users that can't adjust to software changes and us dumb cross over pc users are doing just fine using both with no problem.
  • Reply 187 of 289
    Quote:

I don't care about platform contention, I was responding the sort of pointlessly antagonistic tone of your post. Which you've pulled off again.
  • Reply 188 of 289
    Quote:

Yeah this makes total sense. Lets cut back the market share you know back to the 2% days. I'm sure that will inspire developers to come up with new great software.

This whole lets keep everyone out works really well if your 14 years old and going to live in your parents for the rest of your life. For the rest of us that work and live in this little space called reality we would like market share to grow and to have nice software that is cross platform compatible.

I find it interesting that its the long time Mac users that can't adjust to software changes and us dumb cross over pc users are doing just fine using both with no problem.

Who are you even arguing with?
  • Reply 188 of 289
    Well I think iMovie 08 its an ok app for a completly novice user and also for making a short movie in a short time. Also the ability to change exposure, brightness/contrast and saturation in real time is wonderful

But I miss the themes and lack off effects

And why have they made it such a pain to export to iDvd?? I bought my new MacBook 6 months ago with dvd burner just because I want to make dvds and send to friends

Maybe it will become the new Coke war:

Apple introduces a brand new iMovie which replaces the old. Users are in uproar and start groups to bring back the old iMovie. More and more people call and send mail to Apple with complaint. The press take side in the war and Apple will be in a uncomfterble situation.

Next time Apple updates iLife they have a completely new app called iMovie Classic and everybody will be happy
  • Reply 190 of 289
    Quote:

We don't "just assume a product is going to be good" because we're elite, we assume a product is going to be good because the past performance of Apple in producing top quality apps has trained us to expect that always, and when, as in the case of Imovie 8, they fall short, we voice our displeasure ........ we just haven't had as much practise as the windows crowd because Apple, thankfully, doesn't disappoint us as often ... Sorry, we'll try harder.

Really, how many patches has Tiger had to date? Looks like Leopard is going to be delayed yet again. Seemed like alot of people were upset with the new iMac. Apple TV is doing really well isn't it? Don't hear much about the iphone anymore now that the first two days have passed.

You guys have a very selective perfect world.

I guess you might have to use your brain from now on instead of just assuming.
  • Reply 191 of 289
    Quote:

I don't care about platform contention, I was responding the sort of pointlessly antagonistic tone of your post. Which you've pulled off again.

So what your saying is you have no real reply. Thats fine.
  • Reply 192 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calle73 View Post

Well I think iMovie 08 its an ok app for a completly novice user and also for making a short movie in a short time. Also the ability to change exposure, brightness/contrast and saturation in real time is wonderful

But I miss the themes and lack off effects

And why have they made it such a pain to export to iDvd?? I bought my new MacBook 6 months ago with dvd burner just because I want to make dvds and send to friends

Maybe it will become the new Coke war:

Apple introduces a brand new iMovie which replaces the old. Users are in uproar and start groups to bring back the old iMovie. More and more people call and send mail to Apple with complaint. The press take side in the war and Apple will be in a uncomfterble situation.

Next time Apple updates iLife they have a completely new app called iMovie Classic and everybody will be happy

Agreed about the color controls. Apple is really getting something going here with the HUD idea across programs. Also, the real time stuff is great.

On the other hand, apparently David Pogue is a whiny titty ass baby.

That David Pogue. All he ever does is bitch and moan.
  • Reply 193 of 289
    Quote:

So what your saying is you have no real reply. Thats fine.

To what? That Apple users are clowns? Nope, you've stumped me there.
  • Reply 194 of 289
    Quote:

Let me make my point as simply as I can because I want you to " get it " Gaining market share is a good thing ....as long as you don't lower your standards to do it. And the fact that Mac sales are one of the few computors to show increasing marketshare proves that it can be done. ..... But this latest Imovie 8 release appears to be targeted to the lowest common denominator and I, and others, feel this is a giant mistake on the part of Apple.
  • Reply 195 of 289
    Quote:

To what? That Apple users are clowns? Nope, you've stumped me there.

No not at all, im one of them. It's the them vs us thing that tend to get old. You know growing market shares and software suffering because pc users are stupid. Hense my tone towards that attitude.
  • Reply 196 of 289
    Quote:

No not at all, im one of them. It's the them vs us thing that tend to get old. You know growing market shares and software suffering because pc users are stupid. Hense my tone towards that attitude.

Which was simply a response to all the "sheep" stuff, which got old a long time ago.

So: I'll agree that I don't actually think PC users are stupid (although I do think they've picked up some bad habits), maybe you can lay off the "too deep in the Koolaide to know when they're getting reamed" stuff?

And then bunnies will come out!
  • Reply 197 of 289
    Quote:

Really, how many patches has Tiger had to date? Looks like Leopard is going to be delayed yet again. Seemed like alot of people were upset with the new iMac. Apple TV is doing really well isn't it? Don't hear much about the iphone anymore now that the first two days have passed.

You guys have a very selective perfect world.

I guess you might have to use your brain from now on instead of just assuming.

Point #1 Do you REALLY want to compare the amount of patches that tiger has against windows ?

Point #2 As far as Leopard's release, well let's just say that Vista's 5 year record is safe for quite awhile.

Point #3 Maybe the reason that people aren't talking as much about Iphone is they're too busy buying it.

Last Point, I think the fact that we are mac users PROVE that we do , indeed, use our brains, other wise we would just shuffle along with the crowd with you. It's not too late you know, you can still be saved .... come on over.
  • Reply 198 of 289
    Quote:

Let me make my point as simply as I can because I want you to " get it " Gaining market share is a good thing ....as long as you don't lower your standards to do it. And the fact that Mac sales are one of the few computors to show increasing marketshare proves that it can be done. ..... But this latest Imovie 8 release appears to be targeted to the lowest common denominator and I, and others, feel this is a giant mistake on the part of Apple.

I agree market share should not be put above quality. I really dont think Apple was trying to do that in this case. The iLife 08 package really isn't bad for the price and has gotten some rather gooe reviews, even iMovie.

I think the issue is that Apple decides to go in one direction and one direction only leaving very little options. I believe they thought they were doing a good job with iMovie making it more user friendly.

To give another good example of them thinking in only one direction. The introduced the new iMac which is what i'm working on right now, 24". I happen to really like the glossy screen, alot of people don't for a 2k computer do you think it would have been that hard to offer a matte screen as an option? Or maybe a gpu option like the did on the previous version?

Like I said before Steve Jobs has a vision and if you don't buy into that vision your SOL. Steve isnt about what users wants its about what Steve wants.

While I would have liked an Nvidia 8600gt card in this iMac I have to make due with what Steve decided to offer me.

Thats what I believe needs to change.

The problem isn't market share or lowering standards it's about offering options not a one size fits all. The market share issues only becomes a problem when you keep trying the one size fits all because now there are more people that want even more options.

You can risk a take it or leave it one option ipod but not software and hardware that people depend on everyday.
  • Reply 199 of 289
    Quote:

Point #1 Do you REALLY want to compare the amount of patches that tiger has against windows ?

Point #2 As far as Leopard's release, well let's just say that Vista's 5 year record is safe for quite awhile.

Point #3 Maybe the reason that people aren't talking as much about Iphone is they're too busy buying it.

Last Point, I think the fact that we are mac users PROVE that we do , indeed, use our brains, other wise we would just shuffle along with the crowd with you. It's not too late you know, you can still be saved .... come on over.

My point was never to prove one was perfect or better. It was to prove both have issues, and always have.

Im not sure what crowd I shuffle with. Im fairly certain I have more macs in my house than you do. In fact my applecare wouldm't even register because I have one of the first 2.8 systems so the serial wouldn't even pickup online.

The fact that your a mac user proves nothing other than you prefer one OS over another. That doesn't make you smarter, wiser or for that matter stupid. Its a choice, its a tool. Same for those that choice to use a PC.
  • Reply 200 of 289
    I wonder... could it all be just too much for Apple? Is Steve growing up too fast, seeing too many cashcows and letting quality and timely delivery slip? A while back I read that they had to reassign a lot of resources to deliver the wonderchild in time... perhaps now we are just starting to see the effects of that move... Hold on for the future... take-away hardware and software for stupid people