Apple stirs controversy with iMovie's '08 overhaul

Comments

• Reply 21 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The iMovie '08 interface should have been a quick mode built on top of iMovie.

Agreed!

I can certainly understand the need for a "simple" video editor/compiler. However, why remove basic functionality such as chapters, a timeline and easy burn to DVD etc? There are many video editing programs in the Windows world that provide a "simple" mode overlay to a more robust application.

Obviously AAPL recognizes it has some serious customer satisfaction issues with IMovie 08 thus, the "free" availability of iMovie06 HD.
  • Reply 22 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I would have to agree they really screwed up this time, I smell a lawsuit coming Apple's way.

And it would be laughed out of court. Apple is under absolutely no obligation to stick to the iMovie HD code base. They can release and discontinue products as they please, unless they're under contract to do otherwise. People really do throw around the word "lawsuit" way too much these days.

I do think Apple would be wise to lower the price of Final Cut Express though, for those iMovie HD users who are seeking some sort of upgrade path.
  • Reply 23 of 289
    [B]Apple stirs controversy with iMovie's '08 overhaul

Interesting. Over half of the responders don't seem to see things as dark as this story wants to impart. As many seem to reflect, sometimes it just takes stepping back and smelling the roses before you add the manure.

Good calls guys.

Update: I see a number of new posts are equally positive and/or constructive. Lets keep them coming.

Trillionandone (#19): Gimme something that works without hassles and I'll bet it's an apple product; iMovie 08 included.

Magic_al (#17): People should be patient, and in the meantime releasing iMovie HD 6 for free …

waytogobuddy (#16): you get iMovie 06 For Free. Now I know summer is almost over, but I think some people still need to head on over to camp qwitchyerbitchin pronto!

kenaustus (#15): I'm not surprised that a totally new version of the app has fewer features than a version that has gone through several updates. Apple will grow the app and there will probably be 3rd party programmers that come up with features, primarily as shareware so you can use it on a Try & Buy basis.

meelash (10):Obviously, all the first complaints about the software are going to come from the people who already were using '06 and switched right away- and obviously a ground-up redo is not good news for those people. Give it time, however, and I think iMovie could easily be a hit with first-time movie makers. I agree with the assessment in Steve's little story about how hard it is to slap together a decent movie in a short time- and the new "scrub" selection tool is an awesome way to fix that. The old iMovie was not something that a complete novice could just jump right into and make a good first movie in an hour or so. The new iMovie can do this. 'nuff said. Rember, people: this is a CONSUMER software suite.

rdas7 (8): …With iMovie '08 just sitting down for 15mins is enough time to put together something reasonable and it certainly makes "working with movies as easy as working with photos".… and everything before and after.

akhomerun (7): what's the big deal? apple still lets you download imovie 06 if you don't like 08. …if you're buying ilife 08, use the old version of imovie, and use the rest of the great apps.

and everything inbetween and after.

aplnub (4): I like iMovie '08 better because I can churn out a movie in minutes. When I do serious Movie stuff, I have FCP 6.

jamaku(#3): imovie08 is great, idont think i will go back to version 06; though some more video effects are welcome !!!
  • Reply 24 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwohlgemuth View Post

iMovie '08 Pros: Quick and easy creation of projects.

iMovie '08 Cons: Everything else.

I am glad '06 is still on here. I was able to throw together a project in almost no time, but I really miss the ability to control volume, put in effects, etc.

I have to think there is either an update coming in the future or Apple is going to push those of us who want more features into Final Cut.

This is a perfect example of someone who hasn't used iMovie '08 yet, but thinks that he or she actually knows the problems with the product just because they've read other people's opinions. If you had used imovie '08 you would know that you can control the volume, you can even normalize the volume with one click, in order to block your own track or lower an audio track added in production, this can now be done in one step instead of the manual process that one had to use in iMovie HD, though if you rather adjust the volume manually you can do so as one did in iMovie HD. Next time you decide to comment on the product try using it first.

That being said, the new iMovie doesn't have problems as much as it has missing features. While Chapter markers can be made in the new iDvD it seems silly that one cannot make them iMovie when one could earlier. Also there is a lack of transitions, as well as an inability to add fade outs to audio tracks. The last feature that bothers me the most is the fact that when you export to the Large format as prescribed in the help file of iDvD, for importing an iMovie '08 DV file, your actually going from an uncompressed .DV file to a compressed Mpeg4 back to a lesser compressed Mpeg2 file, which is pointless and could possibly (though unlikely) effect video quality. This is a problem that Apple got rid of in iMovie 2. Back then in order to use iDvd you had to export to Mpeg4 and then re-import to Mpeg2, which was pointless and a waste of over-compression, now once again apple has reverted to this waste of time, and I don't know why.
  • Reply 25 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

The old iMovie was not something that a complete novice could just jump right into and make a good first movie in an hour or so. [...]

Rember, people: this is a CONSUMER software suite.

psshhhh, don't give me that s**t. The original iMovie (as well as its successors) had the capability of being simple, yet also had simple-complex functions, like the visual audio packets (via version 5, I think), which, I remind you, was a click-on option... not a standard feature.

Aside from that, not all consumers are complete idiots. They use a software for simple features at first, then their knowledge and capabilities grow. They then require more features. The advanced features of iMovie '06 are by no means beyond the capabilities of a well-practiced consumer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I still believe that it's being simplified to be a iApp on purpose. Making more room for Final Cut Express.

Garageband is more about Podcasting now than audio. That's why they want you to buy Logic Express for audio creation, and Pro for the professionals.

Yes, it's sad about Garage Band being demoted as well, but think you're making a good point about the "express" line-up...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trillionandone View Post

Movie 08 has finally delivered on the Mac promise. Working with AVCHD is lightning fast and beautiful. My parents, in-laws and siblings no longer call me with irritating iMovie 06 questions. This app just works and works beautifully.

[...]

Gimme something that works without hassles and I'll bet it's an apple product; iMovie 08 included.

And this concludes why it's an "i"Product. "i" is for idiot. iMac, iPod, iLife, iTunes... so easy, an idiot could do it. How else will Apple lure a bunch of idiot PC-blockheads over to the Mac*?

I do, however, think that Apple will start to win back their faithfuls (the prosumers & hobbyists) by (eventually) releasing a mid-range tower and (eventually) releasing a media-editing suite for us: FC Express, Logic Express, "Apeture Express", "DVD Studio Express." That would be the best-case scenario, of course, and obviously wouldn't ship with any Mac. Ergo, I'm going to have to pay extra for what I didn't have to pay for before.

I think that's why a lot of folks here are upset.

Out of curiosity, are we mostly prosumers/pros here? Do you think Apple might put out a mid-range suite? I find it awfully fishy that Apple has basically abandoned the prosumer for so long...

WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US, STEVE?!?!

-Clive

* - Disclaimer: This statement pertains to non-pro, non-prosumer, non-gamer, PC users.
  • Reply 26 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiverDown View Post

This is a perfect example of someone who hasn't used iMovie '08 yet, but thinks that he or she actually knows the problems with the product just because they've read other people's opinions.

Of course I may be missing some things, but my search last night for those features was essentially fruitless. Yes, you can control volume, but it is nowhere as elegant as 06'.

Here's the workaround. Smack together video in 08. Slap credits and audio on in 06.
  • Reply 27 of 289
    I really don't understand the complaints. The old iMovie, whilst could string a few clips together to make a movie quickly, couldn't do anything like the new iMovie can in the same time frame. I admit, I would like the ability to fade out music as a movie fads out, but this is iMovie v1.0 all over again. It will mature, and become a really good product.

I personally never bothered with the old iMovie except for a couple of Christmas movies because it took so long. I can seem myself using the new iMovie quite a lot.
  • Reply 28 of 289
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

And it would be laughed out of court. Apple is under absolutely no obligation to stick to the iMovie HD code base. They can release and discontinue products as they please, unless they're under contract to do otherwise. People really do throw around the word "lawsuit" way too much these days.

I do think Apple would be wise to lower the price of Final Cut Express though, for those iMovie HD users who are seeking some sort of upgrade path.

Agree. Why do people feel the need to sue whenever a product doesn't suit their needs or desires? Did Apple hold a gun to peoples heads and force them to upgrade?

Oh and BTW, isn't iMovie 06 a FREE download to those who prefer it to the new version?

• Reply 29 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The iMovie '08 interface should have been a quick mode built on top of iMovie.

Bingo. That would be perfect. The best of both worlds.

But you must also know the Apple hates compromise. Just like the belief long ago that if the Mac were to survive, the Apple II would have to die. Then it became obvious that the Macintosh was a better platform and the Apple II died on its own. Likewise, we'll see which is the better platform, and the other will die... or sell for less

-Clive
  • Reply 30 of 289
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    A lawsuit for what? The last time I checked it wasn't against the law to update, rewrite or even discontinue your own software product. This is the same Apple that discontinued the iPod Mini after one year and people practically hung themselves over it.

As with any 1.0 product there's going to be bugs and missing features and they will eventually get ironed out. Apple's not breaking anyone's arm to use the new iMovie.

Quote:

I would have to agree they really screwed up this time, I smell a lawsuit coming Apple's way.

• Reply 31 of 289
    I took two looks at the new iMovie and ordered FCE preinstalled on my iMac. \ I don't think it's a bad program, I just really like my timeline, because I like to obsess over each second of video.
  • Reply 32 of 289
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    This is what happens when Apple's marketshare starts to rise. They start becoming arrogant again and think that Mac users will automatically accept whatever they push out the door. People accuse Microsoft of "Embrace, extend, and extinguish" but it appears that Apple is now doing the same thing. This is why we need strong competition to keep Apple's arrogance in check.
  • Reply 33 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

This is what happens when Apple's marketshare starts to rise. They start becoming arrogant again and think that Mac users will automatically accept whatever they push out the door. People accuse Microsoft of "Embrace, extend, and extinguish" but it appears that Apple is now doing the same thing. This is why we need strong competition to keep Apple's arrogance in check.

Which is why companies fail. Apple is leading edge, but the customers are the ones who dictate direction.
  • Reply 34 of 289
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    ...hop over to http://11mystics.com and take a look at the approach Suzanne took when the new iWeb COMPLETELY broke all templates she's slaved over in iWeb 6.

Gripe and whine?... no.

Threaten a lawsuite?... no.

She sat down for 3 days, came up with a brilliant (and possibly better) solution, dug up resources to help her automate, and voila! She ends up looking like the competent, hard-working artist that she is.

But, gee. That would be too much for Jolt addled geeks who want it all handed to then.

jeez... I am SOOOO sick of the whineyness of the Mac community.
  • Reply 35 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

eez... I am SOOOO sick of the whineyness of the Mac community.

Whine whine whine! Boo hoo, so the Mac community is a bunch of whiners, why don't you complain a little more?!

Okay, honestly? Why would anyone be happy about paying for an upgrade to a product that does less than its predecessor? I know AI forum members are over-complaining weiners, but this time I think they're onto something... except for that lawsuit guy. Get a grip, yo.

-Clive
  • Reply 36 of 289
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

...hop over to http://11mystics.com and take a look at the approach Suzanne took when the new iWeb COMPLETELY broke all templates she's slaved over in iWeb 6.

Gripe and whine?... no.

Threaten a lawsuite?... no.

She sat down for 3 days, came up with a brilliant (and possibly better) solution, dug up resources to help her automate, and voila! She ends up looking like the competent, hard-working artist that she is.

But, gee. That would be too much for Jolt addled geeks who want it all handed to then.

jeez... I am SOOOO sick of the whineyness of the Mac community.

A brilliant example of proactive vs reactive behaviour She truly is a creative entrepreneur!

About the link: is that her customised Blog iweb page?

About iPhoto 08: love it! I never touched iPhoto 06 but now I am tempted to get myself into moving image! Yes, I am an idiot
  • Reply 37 of 289
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Why would anyone be happy about paying for an upgrade to a product that does less than its predecessor?

-Clive

Um, perhaps if they used the intelligence god gave a rock, they'd

1) take a quick look at the features before laying down the $79.

2) decide if the overall feature set (for all products in the suite, not just iMovie) was worth it.

But that wouldn't be the 'Mac experience', would it? It would involve a touch of personal responsibility.
  • Reply 38 of 289
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I think there is going to be lots of back lash from this release.

Backlash quelled by iMovie 06 download. Lawsuit doesn't stand a chance. What would the charges be "failing to evolve product to the likes of every consumer" ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I still believe that it's being simplified to be a iApp on purpose. Making more room for Final Cut Express.

Garageband is more about Podcasting now than audio. That's why they want you to buy Logic Express for audio creation, and Pro for the professionals.

Yes..while there are a bunch of people that want to use iMovie in lieu of FCE the fact is if the rank and file consumer doesn't feel comfotable editing rather quickly you don't have a consumer app. I say let the folks who "should" be on Final Cut Express complain and woo the people that you need to. The ones that need to figure this stuff out quickly. iMovie 08 looks like a step in that direction.
  • Reply 39 of 289
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Whine whine whine! Boo hoo, so the Mac community is a bunch of whiners, why don't you complain a little more?!

Okay, honestly? Why would anyone be happy about paying for an upgrade to a product that does less than its predecessor? I know AI forum members are over-complaining weiners, but this time I think they're onto something... except for that lawsuit guy. Get a grip, yo.

-Clive

Clive, get A Live!

? and get yourself to the next stage by ordering Final Cut Express at the online Apple store. Today!
  • Reply 40 of 289
    I am one who is extremely displeased with the ruination of iMovie. The skimming thing is cool, the ability to select a region of a clip in the "clips pane" (to use an iMovie 06 term) and be able to simply move that portion in to the timeline (to use ANOTHER iMovie 06 term) is convenient... but that's where the fun ends. All the rest of iMovie 08's "features" result in a hobbled, mere shadow of iMovie's former greatness. Talk about "feature clawback"! Microsoft doesn't appear as bad with their feature clawbacks in Longhorn->Vista.

"But you can STILL use iMovie 06", people have said. While that's true -- and I will -- the fact that Apple has marginalized it within the iLife product matrix should be a concern for everyone who loves what iMovie used to do. Just how long will Apple support the REAL iMovie? Surely, Leopard will support it, but what about 10.6 down the road? How long will it be before iMovie 06 gets "broken"?

otoh, Apple could well bring back features from iMovie 06 into the 08 version. I suspect that, given the uproar, this will probably happen... maybe like the "Simple Finder" option in the Finder, or the clear button at the top-right of every Finder window that shows or hides more file and disk navigation tools?

Problem is, this is ALL a guess on my part. One thing we all do know, however, is that Jobs likes a battened-down, symmetrical product matrix... and iMovie 06's continued popularity will stick out like a sore thumb in his eye. This worries me more that he'll kill it, rather than give me comfort that he'll right iMovie 08's wrongs...