Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Comments

• Reply 121 of 311
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    My issue is this...

All I want is an iPod with a massive amount of storage and the ability to stream it's music to an airport connected to my stereo. I want all of my music... all of it... on an iPod... in Apple Lossless (or 320 AAC)... in my hand... streaming to my stereo. I've been waiting for this for years. I've tried FM transmitters and they are useless. And besides... what's the point of having CD quality files on your iPod and then feeding them over a crappy FM signal. So I was quite exited about the WiFi rumors... but it didn't pan out Now I have a choice...

1. WiFi but barely any storage space (iPod Touch)

2. Huge storage space, but no WiFi (iPod Classic)

Shitty The wait continues.

BTW... can you use the WiFi in the 'touch' to stream your music to an airport base station????

p.s. I could care less about safari and games and events and buying music over the air (I will only buy real CD's until iTunes offers better quality) and the touch interface... etc. I mean... it's all super cool... but again... all I want is an iPod with a HUGE hard drive and the ability to stream. Is that so hard?! :-(
  • Reply 122 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Then what you need is a smart phone, not an iPod

Or, if you only want the WiFi, "real" email client, web browser, and music and video player, but not the phone part, then you might do well with a Palm T|X. Or any one of the slew of Windows Mobile PDAs with WiFi.

Keep in mind that you'd need to buy an external Flash card to get close to the storage capacity of the iPod Touch.

I know Compact Flash cards at 8 GB are readily accessible now, and at the outer limit I think I've heard of capacities up to 64 GB if you're willing to pay through the teeth for it.

SD and MMC cards are available at up to 4 GB right now. I think they've been announced in capacities of up to 8 or 16 GB, but I don't think they're available yet.
  • Reply 123 of 311
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

For the iPod Touch, its 22 hrs, and only 5 hrs while playing video.

Now, throw a hard drive into the mix. What does batt life drop to then?

I didn't really dig the original 'video iPod', which only had 2-3 hrs video playback time. One movie, and pfft, you're done. \.

It doesn't drop from 22hrs, it drops from 40hrs because the Classic has a much bigger battery than the touch to start with. I think the drop might be to 35hrs worst case for music.
  • Reply 124 of 311
    What I have been unable to figure out is if the calander and contacts are directly editable form the ipod touch like they are on the iphone. This one thing will decide for me whether or not I will wait for the iphone (Canada) or just go get the ipod touch.

If they are not I think thats ridiculous.
  • Reply 125 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Hmmm 8Gb and 16Gb is that it? i was hoping for more. But everything else...just WOW....droulllll

Definatly getting an iPod Touch when the storage is higher, though I'm guessing I maybe waiting for a while!

Did you spot the rip off UK price? £269 for the 16GB - roughly $135 more than the US! Guess that I won't get one until my next trip!
  • Reply 126 of 311
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    I have a music library of over 55GB, but I am more than happy with a 16GB iPod touch.

I just have some smart playlists that manage my music for me. They work great on my iPod nano 4Gb, so they will be even better and will let me set up more with 16GB.

I have the following set up :-

1GB of the most recently added tracks to iTunes, that way I always have my recent purchases as they are usually something I want to listen to.

2GB of my favorite tracks (4 stars or above), that have not been played in the last 6 months, the playlist also selects the tracks based on those which have the lowest play count.

1GB of manually selected music that is 'hot' with me at the moment.

What I will probably do is set up a few favorites playlist as above, but limit each to a different Genre. That way I will always have some favorites of each Genre that I really like (Musicals, Pop, Easy Listening)

I will have a Video playlist of course, they are easy to deal with as the content is much less in number.

Have a few photo albums on there and I'm all set!

I still have my 60GB iPod photos if I really feel I need to take all my music with me somewhere like a party or a 2 week vacation.

Ian
  • Reply 127 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You forgot the other "clever dick" responses:

"Nobody is putting a gun to your head."

"Nobody is forcing you to buy it."

"If you don't like it, then buy a PC."

No I didn't, I just didn't want to be more insufferably verbose than I normally am. I also considered it would be unnecessarily redundant.

Buy a PC? - bite your tongue!
  • Reply 128 of 311
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

Did you spot the rip off UK price? £269 for the 16GB - roughly $135 more than the US! Guess that I won't get one until my next trip!

Remember that the USA price does not include tax but the UK price does.

If remove the VAT from the UK price that make it £228, if you then convert to $ you get $460.

That means we are paying $61 more which is about £30, not to bad. They do need to allow for currency fluctuations. If the $ falls down to a $1.80 exchange rate as it was last year the $ price would be $410, i.e. only $11 more expensive or £5.

Ian
  • Reply 129 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm Asian myself so I can say this:

Jeez, they had to pick the dorkiest-looking Asian guy in the world to host this?

The guy looks fine, speaks well and thankfully is not pretentious like you.
  • Reply 130 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

My issue is this...

All I want is an iPod with a massive amount of storage and the ability to stream it's music to an airport connected to my stereo. I want all of my music... all of it... on an iPod... in Apple Lossless (or 320 AAC)... in my hand... streaming to my stereo. I've been waiting for this for years. I've tried FM transmitters and they are useless. And besides... what's the point of having CD quality files on your iPod and then feeding them over a crappy FM signal. So I was quite exited about the WiFi rumors... but it didn't pan out Now I have a choice...

1. WiFi but barely any storage space (iPod Touch)

2. Huge storage space, but no WiFi (iPod Classic)

Shitty The wait continues.

BTW... can you use the WiFi in the 'touch' to stream your music to an airport base station????

p.s. I could care less about safari and games and events and buying music over the air (I will only buy real CD's until iTunes offers better quality) and the touch interface... etc. I mean... it's all super cool... but again... all I want is an iPod with a HUGE hard drive and the ability to stream. Is that so hard?! :-(

I wouldn't mind what you describe but it would be a hefty drain on the battery. My imperfect solution is I got an infrared remote for my iPod and it sits in a dock attached to the Hi-Fi and I can control some functions that way with high quality sound output.

Ok, my iPod Vault idea needs a tweak so that it can be in a dock while its content can be browsed and controlled by the iPhone/Touch. So only the control signals and content data needs to be sent rather than the full music stream. Should cut down on the battery drain I would imagine.
  • Reply 131 of 311
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Why anyone goes [to Starbucks] is beyond me. It's expensive and low quality. I was dragged in there a few days ago, first time in like a year, and was like "WTF, you only have two blends available, one caffeinated and one decaf???". As a tea drinker, they have the worst teas. All of our local coffee shops have better coffees, teas and fresher pastries; better prices and free WiFi. I don't get it.

Yeah, Starbucks is overrated. I go there for the occasional frappucino and that's it.

Though I thought they had good teas... Tazo is what I remember them carrying. And Tazo's pretty good... Numi is the only brand I've encountered that leaves 'em in the dust.

• Reply 132 of 311
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It doesn't drop from 22hrs, it drops from 40hrs because the Classic has a much bigger battery than the touch to start with. I think the drop might be to 35hrs worst case for music.

Do we know this, or are we assuming this? What's the mAh rating on each battery?

Remember, they made the Classic thin too. The 80GB is only 10.5mm thick. While the batt is still likely bigger than the Touch's, there's not necessarily a huge honkin' battery in there anymore. \

• Reply 133 of 311
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

I wouldn't mind what you describe but it would be a hefty drain on the battery..

Yah. Probably. It would be so cool tho' to be able to hold your entire music collection in your hand and have it play over a high quality stereo system. Someday

Quote:

Ok, my iPod Vault idea needs a tweak so that it can be in a dock while its content can be browsed and controlled by the iPhone/Touch. So only the control signals and content data needs to be sent rather than the full music stream. Should cut down on the battery drain I would imagine.

Very neat idea. If you could control the iTunes on your desktop computer... that would be even better... then you'd only need one iPod. That's how it should be really. You should have all of your stuff on a 'server'... every song and video etc. that you own... and be able to control it... visually (remote controls suck)... from small wireless devices like the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 134 of 311
    I don't see anything about video out. Does the iPod touch support it? How about the iPod Classic?
  • Reply 135 of 311
    I generally agree with a lot of the "meh" comments about the capacity of the iPod touch. For my needs, despite some of the admittedly nice functionality of the iPod touch, a mere 16G at that price point I just don't find all that compelling. I travel a lot (coast to coast and overseas) and one of the things I value most about my iPod is the fact that I can carry my entire music collection (around 40G) at all times and not have to think beforehand about what I am going to want to listen to during hour 11 of my flight to Tokyo. That being said, for lots of users, for whom the capacity is not an issue, the iPod touch has lots to offer.

As for the early adopters of iPhone getting screwed. There is no denying the fact that you pay the price to be the first kid on the block to have the coolest new toy. As a rule of thumb, to avoid the heartache of short-term price drops and/or feature additions, I never buy any newly announced Apple hardware within the first 3 months of release. On the whole, I have found that I have been happier being envious for 3 months but paying less and/or getting more features. I would generally say that, unless you are about to move to Antarctica and the hardware you are using is two generations back so you just have to have it NOW, it always pays to wait.
  • Reply 136 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Get mail from Yahoo, Gmail through Safari... what's the problem?

Webmail sucks.
  • Reply 137 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

WTF Jobs?!?!?

soooo pissed off that i spent an extra $200 on my phone than i needed to.

fastest selling launch in history? and fastest to piss off the early adopters.

So, you don't need the telephone or email client, or visual voicemail? Yeah, that leaves me to wonder why you bought an iPhone...
  • Reply 138 of 311
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Hot diggity damn! I'd been hoping for something like this just because I hate AT&T so much. Now if only somebody would write a Skype client, I'd buy it in a second. As it is, it's awfully tempting. Of course, there's still the problem that Apple omitted a built-in microphone (and Bluetooth), but I'm sure some smart company can come out with a headset that uses the dock connector.
  • Reply 139 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

I'm bummed to see the ipod touch NOT including calendar, notes.

Other than the phone feature, why does it have much less functionality?

Why cripple the new ipod touch out of the box?

Is marketing just trying to force me to the phone?

(don't want those monthly bills thank you)

cheers.

I can't believe it when I read posts like this!

Apple gave us more than we expected, and now people are crawling out of the woodwork even before the product is available to complain that Apple didn't give us even MORE!

At least wait a while to see what happens.
  • Reply 140 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

it's super cool that i only have to pay another buck to hear a song i already have on my iPhone play when someone calls me. that's awesome... does anyone know why licensing rights are different for listening to a song vs. listening to a song when your phone rings? why does this cost more money [in general, i'm not complaining @ apple, just pay-for ringtones in general]

i'm glad i still buy my music on CD's. it won't cost me more money to re-encode them at a higher bit-rate, or DRM free - but if i want to use one as a ringtone, it looks like i'm out 2 bucks even though i own the music on disc. AND as an added bonus to ripping songs from disc: i have the Beatles on my iPhone :P

I don't see it as a big price. The songs are licensed for play as songs, not rigntomes. That's the right of the copyright holder. They are allowed to maximize their earnings, as is everyone else.

Elsewhere, if you buy a song, and decide you like it enough to use as a ringtone, you have to buy it again as a ringtone for $2.00 - $3.00.

This is a bargain at $0.99.