Why the iPhone is still a beta product

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    notes are backed up.. through itunes.

no, they're not synced back and forth, and there's currently no way of viewing it without an iPhone.. but they are in fact backed up. if your iphone dies, gets lost, stolen, whatever.. you can restore your new iphone from the backup.

i agree with some of your complaints.. but i would definitely not call it Beta. it's a great product, with room for improvement. it's a great phone.. without a doubt the best phone i've ever had. i always research phones before i buy them. i buy good phones, but i always have complaints, there's always room for improvement. but in the past, when i've bought a phone, i've continued to research newer and greater phones. because there was no perfect phone. i'm not saying the iphone is perfect, but i haven't looked into what new phones are coming out ever since i got my iPhone. i'm happy with my iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Warning: Long Post

I"ve had mine for a week and come from a solid 11 years of usage with mobile phones and more importantly, the last 4 years with so called smart phones. My previous smart phones were the Nokia 6600 and Nokia N80.

So, just to share my experience so far:

Note: Running unlocked iPhone in France with Orange, running Firmware 1.02

Without further ado, I list what I find is lacking with the iPhone:

I agree. iPhone is still in Beta. Wait for next gen.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. iPhone is still in Beta. Wait for next gen.

Ah, so then you're capable of showing it's shortcomings compared to the other bajillions of products in it's category available?

Let's see what cnet has to say, shall we?

Quote:

...the Apple iPhone sets a new benchmark for an integrated cell phone and MP3 player.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones...-32309245.html

Hardly beta. Get a grip on reality THEN post, OK?

Steve Jobs said: "Best iPod we've ever made, best phone we've ever made!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/s...e-from-d-2007/

Dispute that.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Ah, so then you're capable of showing it's shortcomings compared to the other bajillions of products in it's category available?

Let's see what cnet has to say, shall we?

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones...-32309245.html

Hardly beta. Get a grip on reality THEN post, OK?

Steve Jobs said: "Best iPod we've ever made, best phone we've ever made!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/s...e-from-d-2007/

Dispute that.

I think Spam was being sarcastic. Notice the smiley laughing? Perhaps I'm wrong but I think he was joking.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I hope it's only beta, because if it is, think of how cool the final release will be.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:

There are quite a few file browsers and 'enhancements' you can download, but I'd like to see these things natively.

Also, Apple will HAVE to make it more open if they want be serious players in the mobile market.

Nokia sells a MILLION handsets PER DAY and thats also because there is a huge Developer community behind them.

I just can't figure out what Apple is WAITING FOR seeing that they're gonna do it eventually.

Its just a different focus of what's important. Usability vs. featuritis

usability review
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Well perhaps you should have done your homework on the device before going out to buy it. Most of the mentioned were known from reviews and early tests a long time before it was launched.

Its like walking into a Burger King and saying wheres the Big Macs. lol

I completely agree.

The iPhone should not be purchased by anyone at this stage. It's an incomplete device and falls way short is so many areas.

Potential buyers; DON'T BUY IT!!
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I completely agree.

The iPhone should not be purchased by anyone at this stage. It's an incomplete device and falls way short is so many areas.

Potential buyers; DON'T BUY IT!!

Yes, please don't buy one UNLESS...

1) You want a phone that you can actually use

2) You want a phone that's fun to use

3) you want a phone that just works, syncs trivially with your system

4) You want a phone that does 99% of what you need

Kindly submitted from an unusable iPhone over the unusable EDGE network!
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I think Spam was being sarcastic. Notice the smiley laughing? Perhaps I'm wrong but I think he was joking.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I don't know how much more obvious one need be... \
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

Phone:

3. Contacts: No support for Groups. Incredibly useful to have

Now, I suppose it's entirely possible that my phone is the only one that shipped with this functionality, but...

My iPhone syncs my entire "Address Book" including the groups I have set up. And I do, in fact, find the "goups" feature quite useful.

I think some of the features you miss will be added as time passes, but I'd like to see louder volume (from the speaker) sooner rather than later.

A few of us that bought this phone are reaching middle age and have perhaps spent many years in an industrial environment which has affected our hearing. The various ring sounds could stand to be a LOT louder. (Yes, I've got the ringer volume turned all the way up!)
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:

I'm not a fan of any particular company, but I am a fan of great designs and the iPhone - and the MacBook Pro - are damn good designs. In a world where mediocre products are expected to excite people, these very nice products actually do.

I am not sure why you say the Mac Book Pro is a damn good design? It looks great sure but there are a couple of major flaws that would make me not include it in a damn good design category to be fair!

1 - the lid does not open far enough, pretty basic feature in a laptop, it allows you to view the screen when sitting or standing in a position higher than the MBP.

2 - again the lid arrangement is not very well designed leading to a well documented problem of warped lids like my MBP suffers from - the lid does not close properly so when in a bag it is possible for things to slip between the gap and possibly cause damage to the screen.

This is not great design, more a case of form over function.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Yes, please don't buy one UNLESS...

1) You want a phone that you can actually use

2) You want a phone that's fun to use

3) you want a phone that just works, syncs trivially with your system

4) You want a phone that does 99% of what you need

Kindly submitted from an unusable iPhone over the unusable EDGE network!

Define not being able to use a Nokia S60 or SE UIQ device? It could well be a case of "have a device which you can use even if your dumb"

"Syncs Trivially"?? Excuse me but I think bringing the phones memory up as a mass storage device is the most basic and widley used method. So easy its used by all phones as well as portable hard drives, memory card readers ect.......syncing with itunes is dumb, i mean comeoff it, its annoying for chirst sake why can they just be like a normal phone. lol

"You want a phone that does 99& of what you need"? Well i bet Steve Jobs is hoping that people in Europe and Asia think like you buddy as you have low expectations. I think at the very least id expect the iphone to do what other phones (not just smartphones but cheap ass dumb phones) have been doing for the last 5 years.

MMS, using mp3s as a ringtone, record video, blog to sites, cut and paste text, forward sms mesages, delivery reports on an sms.

So what im trying to say is, speak for yourself buddy. I wont deny that the iphone has one of the best designs and interfaces possibly ever in a mobile device, and thats saying a lot.

But on the flip side if you want one you will have to be prepared to put up with many many shortcomings that would othrwise be standard on any other phones. Quite "trivial" really.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

Checkout the first blog entry by Stephen Fry. http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/?p=3

the link does not work

Works for me!
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Works for me!

I could not get to it from the office they must of blocked the site.... But I was able to get to it from home thanks. It was a very good read.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Define not being able to use a Nokia S60 or SE UIQ device? It could well be a case of "have a device which you can use even if your dumb"

Along with my friends who have fancy phones that don't even know what they do why don't please see the link I posted above which does a credible job of trying to quantify this.

Quote:

"Syncs Trivially"?? Excuse me but I think bringing the phones memory up as a mass storage device is the most basic and widley used method. So easy its used by all phones as well as portable hard drives, memory card readers ect.......syncing with itunes is dumb, i mean comeoff it, its annoying for chirst sake why can they just be like a normal phone. lol

No wonder phones are hard to use of the designer agree that remembering which files (and 'parts of files') you need to drag around to get information from one system to another is considered usability. After using Palm desktop and other similar systems its no wonder iTunes is leading the Window's downloads.

Quote:

"You want a phone that does 99& of what you need"? Well i bet Steve Jobs is hoping that people in Europe and Asia think like you buddy as you have low expectations. I think at the very least id expect the iphone to do what other phones (not just smartphones but cheap ass dumb phones) have been doing for the last 5 years.

Yep I do as those other phones, including the cheap ones and expensive one, didn't do half of what I wanted them to DO (not features) as I would never user their features as they were so hard to use. As I said in another post I think I'm a reasonable representative of the 'techs' as I just finished compiling and installing MySQL on my iPhone but I do understand what Apple is doing and both approve and think they will meet their stated goals.

Quote:

MMS, using mp3s as a ringtone, record video, blog to sites, cut and paste text, forward sms mesages, delivery reports on an sms.

Other that copy/paste none of this is anything I need. email for pics is better for me.

Quote:

So what im trying to say is, speak for yourself buddy. I wont deny that the iphone has one of the best designs and interfaces possibly ever in a mobile device, and thats saying a lot.

But on the flip side if you want one you will have to be prepared to put up with many many shortcomings that would othrwise be standard on any other phones. Quite "trivial" really.

Of course I'm speaking for myself, just as you are. I also think I'm trying to understand not just what I want but what Apple is aiming for, and succeeding. 1,000,000 phone in 74 days out of the gate says they've seen something those that produce 'standard' phones have not. 'standard' is much too strong a word IMO. Ubiquitous is more appropriate. This has been the problem with phone design, IMO (I'll add that since it seems to be not-obvious). Feature lists over design.

I'll 'put up' with what you see as shortcomings, in exchange for actual use of the rest, and pleasurable use at that.

Cheers
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

1,000,000 phone in 74 days out of the gate says they've seen something those that produce 'standard' phones have not. 'standard' is much too strong a word IMO. Ubiquitous is more appropriate. This has been the problem with phone design, IMO (I'll add that since it seems to be not-obvious). Feature lists over design.

I'll 'put up' with what you see as shortcomings, in exchange for actual use of the rest, and pleasurable use at that.

Cheers

Be careful with sales figures, By the time it took Apple to sell 1,000,000 iPhones Nokia sold somewhere in the region of 74,000,000 of these "standard" phones!!
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Be careful with sales figures, By the time it took Apple to sell 1,000,000 iPhones Nokia sold somewhere in the region of 74,000,000 of these "standard" phones!!

That's what I call ubiquitous
  • Reply 38 of 84
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I just found another thing that I thought would've been obvious that doesn't (seem) to work.

I had a friend give me a restaurant number and while he was talking I put the keypad on and inserted the number.

When he hung up.. well.. the number was gone.

Anyone know how I can insert a number quickly without having to create a new contact? Obviously I can't put it in Notepad because you can't damn well copy and paste..

Regarding Notes backup... where or how did you find this out?

Regarding Groups.. well, I'll be damned, but Groups ARE synced.. you have to go "one level" up when you view your contacts.

I still can't stand that I can't search details that I inserted in notes or whatnot. Grr.

To everyone saying "you're just repeating what we already know" well then just skip the post or whatever. I used my Nokia smart phones to the limit and loved them for the flexibility they offer. Sure they have their bad aspects as well.. but, dammit, this is Apple, and, dammit they have not only the Newton experience but the ability to hire the most kick ass designers/engineers the world has to offer.

I've always thought of Nokia as having the closest to Apple interface/experience that you can get and to be honest while the iPhone is marvelous by far and large, its the details that count and what Apple usually EXCELS at. Thats why many people love MacOS vs Windows.. the details and the little things while making the whole experience flow.

I've been using Macs since the Apple II and, dammit, I KNOW that Apple NEVER gets it right the first time. At least not perfectly. Its usually their 2nd round where they nail it. I usually also manage to resist and wait for round 2 or even 3. But, hell, Apple has been working on this for YEARS and I really thought they would've nailed it beyond any expectation.

Instead... we have a fancy touch screen phone/tablet with neutered bluetooth and many basic features missing.

Honestly, what the fuck have they been working on if they had to reassign a huge chunk of people from the MacOS X team for so long and have had more than a decade of mobile phone tehnology to get ideas from and still not have things like MMS or copy and paste??

Yes, its "only" been out for 3 months on the public market, but they've had half a decade of work on it before.

Are they waiting for iPhone 2 for blutooth and MMS and picture editing and movie functions? Are they gonna make an announcement maybe next year that they will have such basic functionality and turn the RDF to the max and have the press and public say "oooh ahhh amazing.. gotta get me one of those".

Am gonna go to the Apple Expo tomorrow here in Paris.. will be hunting down people to ask what the heck is going on in their minds with the iPhone being so crippled. Obviously, as I know well enough, they'll just say "sorry, we aren't at liberty to say" or "don't know".

How frustrating..
  • Reply 39 of 84
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

I am not sure why you say the Mac Book Pro is a damn good design?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2177656,00.asp

http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html#clocks

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Well, 'cause I own one and think it's a damn good design and apparently people that critique computers for a living do too.

I don't have a problem with how far the lid opens 'cause it opens far enough for me.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2177656,00.asp

http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html#clocks

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Well, 'cause I own one and think it's a damn good design and apparently people that critique computers for a living do too.

I don't have a problem with how far the lid opens 'cause it opens far enough for me.

Heh, i own one too and even though i think it is a nice laptop to use i have found the design flaws make do not make it "Damn good design" and please stop with the magazine reviews. I could find good reviews of the Zune if you really wanted!!

Damn good design suggests to me that it has been designed with user funcionality in mind, not just looks. It is obvious that the lid mechanism on the MBP has been designed with looks in mind and less about functionality.