Why the iPhone is still a beta product

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

All I can say is I hope so. If this phone is for the iPhone market then iPhone will sail through. Its not about features, IMO. This is for a different market - the tech market that want's feature lists. As had been said by both proponents, only time will tell, but the question is not 'it the iPhone a Beta' but 'is the market for the iPhone real'. I think it is, and its different that for the phone you put forward above. That's thick, and ugly and is to because it does many things I don't want. Other that WiFi there's nothing in your list I want, or would trade battery life for (3G). Apple in ONLY going after 1% of the market with the current iPhone and that's where I think they will succeed. They don't have to 'kill' the N95's or other similar feature-phones to do that.

The 'market segment' you mention - high-end consumer phones and low-end business/smart phone devices - is, by itself, far from homogeneous.

If they add some of these 'feature' with a software upgrade, that's great for sales. I just hope they don't add them in a way that screws up the interface (which I don't think they will).

Well if that is what you think then fine, but i know that in the UK Apple will struggle to convince people to spend 279 quid on a phone that does not have MMS, proper SMS capabilities, decent blutooth and video recording when there will be other phones that offer all the above with 3G for no upfront costs.

And i fail to see why you would have wifi and not 3G? 3G is certainly the more superior mobile data technology, and often will be a faster connection that you get from many hot spots.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Well if that is what you think then fine, but i know that in the UK Apple will struggle to convince people to spend 279 quid on a phone that does not have MMS, proper SMS capabilities, decent blutooth and video recording when there will be other phones that offer all the above with 3G for no upfront costs.

And i fail to see why you would have wifi and not 3G? 3G is certainly the more superior mobile data technology, and often will be a faster connection that you get from many hot spots.

I already said, I wouldn't trade off battery life for 3G. I've looked at the specs for a number of phones and the best I can tell from the published specs it does have a significant impact, when you are using it (video calls specs being 1/5 the time of other usage, etc.) So I do believe Apple that this is the choice they've made and, and I agree. EDGE is more than adequate for what I do as I'm typically getting 150+ kpbs, when on the road and WiFi is great everywhere else I use the phone.

The rest, time will tell. Your words do echo that said for the US introduction and we know what is happening there.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Quote:

This is the iPhone killer - http://europe.nokia.com/A4494164

This is the iPhone killer? wow. Let's see why not:

A. It is smaller then the iPhone in every dimension, except thickness, where it is almost an inch thick, nearly twice as thick, and weighs about the same.

b. It's talk time for battery life is about one half of the iPhone's

c. The display is 240 x 320 pixels, which is half the size of the iPhone's 480 x 320 display

d. It has no keyboard, a must for a smartphone of this class, and takes text input by keypad only.

e. Apparently no touchscreen.

f. Looks rather fragile.

g. Just plain ugly.

The ONLY advantages, IMHO, are that it has that 5MP camera with 30 fps video, but it does so at the expense of an inch of thickness.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This is the iPhone killer - http://europe.nokia.com/A4494164

If you think that is a great phone, you really don't understand what makes the iPhone a great phone. But to each his own.

Quote:

3G is certainly the more superior mobile data technology, and often will be a faster connection that you get from many hot spots.

Real world 802.11g is around 20Mb, real world UMTS is around 250kbps.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Real world 802.11g is around 20Mb, real world UMTS is around 250kbps.

No it is not.

Real world UMTS is anything up to 384kb for mobile devices, though there are fixed 3G services offering up to 2MB.

Real world 802.11g is only 20MB to the Router interface, after that it is whatever connection that your hotspot provider has decided to pay for.

there are many hotspots with 512mb to 2MB internet connections being shared accross their users, quite often they are also using the same connection for their internal use too (bars, coffee shops, restaraunts etc..)

So you could easily be sitting in a coffe shop using the wifi connection and next to someone with a 3G handset is getting a faster connection. And that 3G user can finish his coffee and go outside and still have his connection, yours will drop as soon as you get outside and out of range. So that is real world wifi vs 3G.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

This is the iPhone killer? wow. Let's see why not:

A. It is smaller then the iPhone in every dimension, except thickness, where it is almost an inch thick, nearly twice as thick, and weighs about the same.

b. It's talk time for battery life is about one half of the iPhone's

c. The display is 240 x 320 pixels, which is half the size of the iPhone's 480 x 320 display

d. It has no keyboard, a must for a smartphone of this class, and takes text input by keypad only.

e. Apparently no touchscreen.

f. Looks rather fragile.

g. Just plain ugly.

The ONLY advantages, IMHO, are that it has that 5MP camera with 30 fps video, but it does so at the expense of an inch of thickness.

You forget to mention 3G, decent SMS, MMS and bluetooth. And as the N95 is for the European market and the four things i have just mentioned are very important to the European market i would think that yes there is a huge advantage there.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I already said, I wouldn't trade off battery life for 3G. I've looked at the specs for a number of phones and the best I can tell from the published specs it does have a significant impact, when you are using it (video calls specs being 1/5 the time of other usage, etc.) So I do believe Apple that this is the choice they've made and, and I agree. EDGE is more than adequate for what I do as I'm typically getting 150+ kpbs, when on the road and WiFi is great everywhere else I use the phone.

The rest, time will tell. Your words do echo that said for the US introduction and we know what is happening there.

You are right Physguy, we shall see. I think the iPhone is a good phone for what it is, and if people have one and are happy with it then great. What i cannot be doing with is some of the people on here who will tell you it is the best phone in the world, people who do not understand mobile technology as much as the Europeans who have very different expectations of what their phones should be capable of.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:

Real world UMTS is anything up to 384kb for mobile devices, though there are fixed 3G services offering up to 2MB.

UMTS uses wider data channels and other enhancements to achieve higher speeds (average data speeds of 220 to 320Kbps; bursts up to 384Kbps)

PC Today

Quote:

Real world 802.11g is only 20MB to the Router interface, after that it is whatever connection that your hotspot provider has decided to pay for.

This is a variable but does not mean that WiFi is generally as slow as 3G. Most of the time WiFi is going to be faster than UMTS.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The phone was made to be used in the USA??? Wow, talk about "think small"

A mobile phone is.... well.. lets see... mobile

While it's true that unfortunately most of my compatriots don't travel outside of the gilded cage of the USA, there is another world out there and, gasp, there are different standards/habits.

Mobile phones are used all ove rthe world and while, yes, the initial launch was USA only, its odd that they didn't get all the options in there from the start.

While we're at it I found one more glitch and one more proof that the iPhone still needs to be honed:

Bug: When you send an SMS and you delete it right away after you send it, an empty message (with name of recipient) still appears in the 'inbox'

Duh: I just realized after 2 weeks that I can't select a song, playlist or whatnot for my Alarm wake-up. Wasn't this supposed to be "the greatest iPod ever"?
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:

You forget to mention 3G, decent SMS, MMS and bluetooth. And as the N95 is for the European market and the four things i have just mentioned are very important to the European market i would think that yes there is a huge advantage there.

All i said was IMHO. I personally would rather not have 3g, because of the battery life tradeoff, and I don't haave much of a use for either SMS or MMS, and the iPhone has bluetooth, and that will be enhanced over time. Yes, these are good features for europe, but i was just saying thet was what i felt. But I still belive that it will do nothing to the sales of the iPhone.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

A mobile phone is.... well.. lets see... mobile

While it's true that unfortunately most of my compatriots don't travel outside of the gilded cage of the USA, there is another world out there and, gasp, there are different standards/habits.

Mobile phones are used all ove rthe world and while, yes, the initial launch was USA only, its odd that they didn't get all the options in there from the start.

No, it's not odd, it makes sense. Why would they? It was only supposed to go out to one country, with one official launguage, and with the same, unified standards for dialing and such. It makes sense that they would use this extra time to finalize other languages and other standards. Again, you can't expect them to support your country when they specically said they wouldn't. Wait for software updates.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Re UMTS/3G and battery life

With my previous Nokia, N80, you can TURN OFF UMTS/3G if you want. I never used it so I just had it on GSM and I got better battery life.

Its good to have options...
  • Reply 73 of 84
    BTW, is there any way to save pics on the iPhone at full, original resolution?

I have a couple maps I want to keep with me and they got resized and they're totally unreadable..

thx
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Oops, duplicate.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:

Functionality:

Global:

3. Language support: Only English dictionary/interface for now. I want to see how easy it will be to switch language dictionaries when typing SMSs. I constantly switch between Italian, English, and French every day.

Not sure about the dictionary, but 1.1.1 firmware adds international keyboard and language. So this might be forthcoming.

Quote:

SMS:

You forgot one. No character remaining counter.

Quote:

Photos:

4. No uploading to a photo site/blog of our choice (Picasa, Flikr, not even .Mac?)

iPhone has .Mac web gallery upload feature (need to add .Mac email account to activate).

Quote:

Settings:

Phone:

3. Contacts: No support for Groups. Incredibly useful to have

Mail:

3. Its just a matter of time, but, hello "Office" support anyone? iPhone is based on MacOS X, the lowly Textedit in MacOS X has pretty decent .DOC support.. chop chop, lets go!

Both features are present. iPhone can view Word and Excel files (although limited and sometimes buggy) and Contacts will sync and recognize groups (read only, however).
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:

Come on ZO you are searching for complaints. It does make sense they would not have international languages on a phone released only in the US. Plus we've seen support for international languages in the next software update.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Come on ZO you are searching for complaints.

You just now be coming to that conclusion?
  • Reply 78 of 84
    I'm not LOOKING for complaints, you're looking through my dozens of let-downs and criticisms and deciding which seem petty enough for you to make this comment.

As Woz, I think, said, the iPhone has the most potential of any mobile phone/device out there, and yet, its far from it
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:

You are right Physguy, we shall see. I think the iPhone is a good phone for what it is, and if people have one and are happy with it then great. What i cannot be doing with is some of the people on here who will tell you it is the best phone in the world, people who do not understand mobile technology as much as the Europeans who have very different expectations of what their phones should be capable of.

At last someone who understands. I agree completley !!!!
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:

As Woz, I think, said, the iPhone has the most potential of any mobile phone/device out there, and yet, its far from it

I agree with that statement but that statement has nothing to do with the current iPhone being incomplete or a beta. It just means that Apple has built a platform, not just the current product.