Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After scrambling to have "leaked" product shots removed from the Internet on Wednesday, Windows PC systems manufacturer Gateway has lifted an embargo on details of its new "One" all-in-one desktop system, which unsurprisingly bears a number of striking resemblances to Apple's just-released aluminum iMacs.

"Dubbed simply the 'One,' the design is far sleeker than Gateway's earlier Profile systems and fits the entire design within a single metal shell just 3.6 inches deep," writes Electronista, one of the first publications to dish details of the offering ahead of its public release. "The entire front face is black to hide the borders of the 19-inch widescreen LCD and blend into home decor, such as the living room."

In designing the One, the ailing Windows PC maker from Irvine, Calif. also appear to have built on Apple's minimalist emphasis: where the iMac plugs all cables directly into the back, the One feeds gigabit Ethernet, four USB ports, and AV ports to the external power adapter to take clutter away from the desk. Similarly, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are standard and eliminate the need for a wired mouse or keyboard.

Other Apple-influenced design cues are apparent from the system's slot-loading, side-mounted DVD burner as well as its aluminum-colored enclosure (though likely still plastic) with three USB ports, one FireWire, and audio in/out connectors. On the other hand, Gatway's new design adds a 5-in-1 card reader and is easily opened to replace the hard drive or memory. Buyers can also add a mounting kit to hoist the One against a wall, or a USB TV tuner for watching live programming.

In its official press release Thursday, Gateway said it plans ship the One series in late October with two retail models and a single online-only version. Pricing for the retail line is slated to start at $1,300 for a model that includes a 1.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of memory, a 320GB hard drive, and Intel X3100 graphics. A high-end model ($1800) will boost the processor speed to 2GHz, memory to 3GB, hard disk space to 500GB, and add a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 dedicated video card.

The online model ($1,500) sits in between the two store models with the same hardware as the base PC save for a 400GB hard drive and Radeon HD 2600 chipset. Like Apple's iMac, each One also sports a 1.3-megapixel webcam hidden in its chassis, Gateway says.

By comparison, Apple's new aluminum iMac line starts at $1200 for a 20-inch model with a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB of memory, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, and ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory. For the same $1500 as Gateway's online One model, Apple also offers an iMac with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB hard drive, and ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory.

Jumping up to the $1800 price point, Apple buyers get an addition 5-inch of screen real-estate (24-inchs) compared to Gateway's high-end One model, which remains at just 19-inches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 156
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

What's its nickname? GatoChin?
  • Reply 2 of 156
    You beat me to it. That is some chin. You could put a whole stack of postits on that!.

Still not to bad looking. Have to check the specs and price but I'm never buying a pc for personal use.
  • Reply 3 of 156
    One thing that bugs me about this design is that it looks like a strong breeze will knock it over. Can't see the back very well, but it looks like a picture frame type stand, where a tab swings out to hold it up. Doesn't look very stable to me. Maybe they have a heavy weight at the bottom to lower the center of gravity tho. This same thing bothers me about the new iMacs, but when I test them in the store, they don't seem to be prone to falling over. And then the staff chase me out for trying to knock over the merchandise...
  • Reply 3 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by der passant View Post

You beat me to it. That is some chin. You could put a whole stack of postits on that!.

Still not to bad looking. Have to check the specs and price but I'm never buying a pc for personal use.

Forget the chin.... does the little thing-y in the back look like a little thing-y? (In the first photo).
  • Reply 5 of 156
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    THe iMac might have a chin but that thing has a "Jay Leno" chin.

Certainly better than their previous offerings but not as price competitive as Apple.

Apple has faster speeds and bigger screens.
  • Reply 6 of 156
    On the one hand, it's amusing how much this rips off the iMac's design...

... but on the other hand, I think this design actually improves on the iMac's. For one thing, if it's easy to open the case up to replace components like the hard drive, that is a huge benefit over the iMac...
  • Reply 7 of 156
    Yeah.

I think all those would-be iMac buyers will be iMac buyers.
  • Reply 8 of 156
    Finally Windows users get to lock up in style.
  • Reply 9 of 156
    Well they've finally caught up with the 20th anniversary Mac from 10 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentie...sary_Macintosh
  • Reply 10 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravelgrane View Post

One thing that bugs me about this design is that it looks like a strong breeze will knock it over.

I think a lot of people said that of the iMac G5.

So far, most of the iMac-alikes have failed or are just obscure. Windows PC buyers seem to just reject them. It seems like Apple customers are the only ones that buy this kind of thing. Is there any tilt adjustment on this? I wouldn't want to use a machine that's always sloping back like that.
  • Reply 11 of 156
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

ROFLMAO.

K
  • Reply 12 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Exactly my thoughts.

• Reply 13 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and is easily opened to replace the hard drive or memory...

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 156
    Thank God somebody found it!

I lost my 20th anniversary Mac years ago and it turns out Gateway had it this whole time!

Way to catch up to the PAST Gateway! WooHoooooo!
  • Reply 15 of 156
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think a lot of people said that of the iMac G5.

Hmm, right, but now maybe there is a problem, because of the type of the stand (picture frame like, and from the ones with bad balance). Only practice will tell if this is the case or not.
  • Reply 16 of 156
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

each One also sports a 1.3-megapixel webcam hidden in its chassis, Gateway says.

That might infringe on Apple's patent for a built-in camera. I'm sure Apple lawyers are looking into it.
  • Reply 17 of 156
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

And just how many users know how to replace a hard drive?

I have a iMac. I guess I must be retarted.

Screw you.
  • Reply 18 of 156
    wow, what a fugly piece of garbage. i hope it fails miserably.
  • Reply 19 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And just how many users know how to replace a hard drive?

By that kind of logic, Apple should have left out access to the memory slots too.
  • Reply 20 of 156
    It's still running Windows, no matter how pretty it is or how it'll try to look like a Mac.