Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 2021 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Well that really pisses me off. I've been a loyal Netflix customer for over six years now and I'd be really upset for being charged more for Blu-Ray rentals. Half the movies I rent are SD. The other half are BR. Will they tier the costs?
  • Reply 2022 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Well that really pisses me off. I've been a loyal Netflix customer for over six years now and I'd be really upset for being charged more for Blu-Ray rentals. Half the movies I rent are SD. The other half are BR. Will they tier the costs?

Me too, except I don't think I rent that much BR and I've only been doing it a year and I half. If they charge more for it though, I won't be renting any BR for awhile. My TVs only 32" so from couch-distance I don't really gain anything over a well-mastered up-converted DVD.
  • Reply 2023 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What are you babbling about?

I don't even know if its worth my time to post that you should get your humour gland checked, I think it might be broken.
  • Reply 2024 of 2639
    I have mixed feeling, mostly negative, about the rumor that Netflix will charge more for BD. I could see maybe $1 more per month? I'm on a one at a time, unlimited number plan? but the flip side is there had better not be any waits as there often is now.

It'd be a nightmare to administer fairly as I'm sure a fairly large number of people get a mix of BD and SD as I do. While I'm predominately BD, I'll order SD new releases if they're not also being released at the same time as BD.

Anyway, until it's announced for sure, why waste time worrying about it?
  • Reply 2025 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I have mixed feeling, mostly negative, about the rumor that Netflix will charge more for BD.

It's not a rumor. They flat-out said they're going to do it.

Quote:

Online DVD rental pioneer Netflix Inc. will charge a "modest monthly premium" to its normal subscription price on Blu-ray discs later this year, the company's chief executive told analysts during a conference call on Monday. Explaining the decision, CEO Reed Hastings said that "purchasing Blu-ray DVDs costs more, both at retail and wholesale, than standard definition DVDs. Consumers are used to paying more for high-definition content ..."

But I'm sure gloss and onlooker will be more than happy to cover the premium cost on our Netflix subscriptions, since they don't find Blu-Ray's pricing to be an issue
  • Reply 2026 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I personally don't mind paying a couple extra bucks for Blu-Ray titles over SD titles (if I'm purchasing for my collection). After all, you are getting a premium product over a regular product.

But I do object to Netflix (or any other rental shops) charging a premium for rentals. First, Netflix doesn't pay the same retail price consumers do. They get a huge bulk price discount. Second, Netflix makes a nice tidy profit per disc no matter the cost of the disc. Third, Netflix then makes an additional profit when they sell surplus copies.
  • Reply 2027 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

But I'm sure gloss and onlooker will be more than happy to cover the premium cost on our Netflix subscriptions, since they don't find Blu-Ray's pricing to be an issue

You know, when you rent or purchase a luxury car over a Ford Taurus, they upcharge you too.

You pay for quality until that quality becomes the norm. Get over it.
  • Reply 2028 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

You know, when you rent or purchase a luxury car over a Ford Taurus, they upcharge you too.

Yup, and that's why most people(mass consumers) do not drive luxury cars. It's always a successful market appealing to a niche demographic.
  • Reply 2029 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Toshiba selling Blu-ray ??

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/24/t...-ray-hardware/

interesting.

This is great news. Perhaps, there will finally be a fully compliant blu-ray player with enthusiasts demanding features. All they need to do is re-release HD-XA2 with a blu-ray drive. I would definitely buy one of these. If they happen to support HD-DVD playback will be a plus.
  • Reply 2030 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Which is exactly why I'm questioning how much longer the studios are going to treat Blu-Ray as a premium product; if they milk it for too long, I fear it'll never become "the norm".

Besides, luxury car makers don't need to put a luxury car in every American home within 5-10 years for their business model to succeed. Blu-Ray, if it is to survive, has to overcome DVD as the standard video format sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 2031 of 2639
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Source - So does this mean we'll have list prices of $30-$40 on Blu-Ray discs for another 3 years

Not until the end of 2009 means, 2010 for mass adoption.
  • Reply 2032 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Then start an email complaint campaign to Netflix. They won't do anything unless you say something.
  • Reply 2033 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Which is exactly why I'm questioning how much longer the studios are going to treat Blu-Ray as a premium product; if they milk it for too long, I fear it'll never become "the norm".

Besides, luxury car makers don't need to put a luxury car in every American home within 5-10 years for their business model to succeed. Blu-Ray, if it is to survive, has to overcome DVD as the standard video format sooner rather than later.

I understand what you're saying, but the technology is still relatively new in the public eye. It's going to take some time before prices are reduced to the level that J6P is used to with DVDs, and probably take even longer to gain explosive market penetration, as the price of large HDTVs drops to the point of mass adoption.

There are plenty of matters aside from straight-up disc price that will control Blu-ray's growth in the short term.
  • Reply 2034 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

It's not a rumor. They flat-out said they're going to do it.

Why are you blaming Blu-ray? Blame Netflix, they're the ones doing it to you.
  • Reply 2035 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Looks like the Blu-Ray revolution is stalled...at least temporarily.
  • Reply 2036 of 2639
    Adams Media Research 2007-2011 projections: BD to outpace all digital downloads

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...startpage=1#/8

• Reply 2037 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Why are you blaming Blu-ray? Blame Netflix, they're the ones doing it to you.

Because I don't feel Netflix is unjustified in charging their customers more for discs that cost 33-50% more than their SD counterparts. And high disc and player prices doesn't just negatively impact rentals, but also retail purchases. The studios need to get competitive with movie prices if Blu-Ray is ever seriously going to overtake DVD. The longer the studios put $35-$40 list prices on Blu-Ray discs, the more I think they have no intention of replacing DVD, and just want a premium product they can make $10-$20 more on until 1080p digital downloads become a reality.
  • Reply 2038 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Looks like the Blu-Ray revolution is stalled...at least temporarily.

Wow, it sure is a good thing we're down to a single format
  • Reply 2039 of 2639
    Paramount has announced a release schedule starting on May 20 with Bee Movie, Blades of Glory, Face/Off and Next followed on June 3 with Cloverfield and There Will Be Blood. Hopefully better movies will follow.
  • Reply 2040 of 2639
    Quote:

Because I don't feel Netflix is unjustified in charging their customers more for discs that cost 33-50% more than their SD counterparts. And high disc and player prices doesn't just negatively impact rentals, but also retail purchases. The studios need to get competitive with movie prices if Blu-Ray is ever seriously going to overtake DVD. The longer the studios put $35-$40 list prices on Blu-Ray discs, the more I think they have no intention of replacing DVD, and just want a premium product they can make $10-$20 more on until 1080p digital downloads become a reality.

Is it all that justified when the Blu-ray discs actually last longer because of their protective coating and that Netflix will be in essence reaping the benefits of using the same disc out in circulation longer and thereby decreasing their costs in the same breath? Get real man, it's business. Netflix sees an opening where they can charge a premium, so their doing it...and all in the name of profitability.

Moreover, you can most certainly find Blu-ray discs at a cheaper price than $35-$40 out there, you are just simply pandering to the highest price you can find to justify your weak argument. Funny, when Blu-ray was offering BOGO you were complaining that they were giving away free discs, now your complaining that they "supposedly" charge to much. Where was your complaining with HD DVD when on average their combo discs cost much more than their Blu-ray counterparts? A: I just think your trying to find a reason to bitch.

Look at Amazon for cheaper Blu-ray discs dude, just like you did for your beloved HD DVD discs. Moreover, if you go to Circuit City right now, they have a buy 2 get 1 free deal going on...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=816973

So, please give the doom and gloom on Blu-ray a rest will ya...