Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1961 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Whoopsie, Blu-Ray is back to 4% of the DVD Pie, while Red is back to 36% of the HDM market.

It's amazing it's 4% much less the 8% from earlier. I'd have guessed less lower.

As far as HD-DVD goes I'm sure the close outs are selling well. As folks say, its not like HD-DVD players suddenly all stopped working even with the format dead.
  • Reply 1962 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Whoopsie, Blu-Ray is back to 4% of the DVD Pie, while Red is back to 36% of the HDM market.

That's what happens when stats are based only on top 20 best selling of each category. When sample size is small, the data fluctuation is expected and the data will be inaccurate due to inappropriate sample size.

Regardless of the HDM sales stats, with gas prices hiking up again and less and when less people drinking even Starbucks coffee, you can bet less and less people will be interested in the HDM as well. At times like this, the luxury hobbies will remain only on the wish list. BTW, at times like this, even the DVD market will be shrinking in reflection of the worsening economy. It's a shame, but it just isn't a good time for higher end technology home theater market right now.
  • Reply 1963 of 2639
    Quote:

C_H_E_R_R_Y_ P_I_C_K_I_N_G
  • Reply 1964 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

BTW, at times like this, even the DVD market will be shrinking in reflection of the worsening economy. It's a shame, but it just isn't a good time for higher end technology home theater market right now.

DVD sales fell 3.7% in 2007. I imagine Blu-Ray's percentage of that DVD pie will increase disproportionately with it's actual market share; as disc sales overall continue to decline with the economy as it is, the only people with the expendable income to continue purchasing will largely be the same people with $400 game consoles and disc players. Blu-Ray will continue to gain more of the pie as the pie becomes smaller. Which doesn't much matter, so long as the studios keep cranking out films on Blu-Ray for us to enjoy.
  • Reply 1965 of 2639
    Quote:

DVD sales fell 3.7% in 2007. I imagine Blu-Ray's percentage of that DVD pie will increase disproportionately with it's actual market share; as disc sales overall continue to decline with the economy as it is, the only people with the expendable income to continue purchasing will largely be the same people with $400 game consoles and disc players. Blu-Ray will continue to gain more of the pie as the pie becomes smaller. Which doesn't much matter, so long as the studios keep cranking out films on Blu-Ray for us to enjoy.

I agree. This is my own opinion, of course, but it would be interesting to see if/when Universal/Paramount releasing HDM's on blu-ray disc can help the situation. It may make the PS3 owners happy, but the mass will not even care to know what is released on the blu-ray disc. Even if they own PS3, $20+ price tag on HDM disc is still a enthusiast price. I wonder who needs to compromise fast on the software price, consumers or the studios? This is never ending battle even without an immediate competitor.
  • Reply 1966 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Even if they own PS3, $20+ price tag on HDM disc is still a enthusiast price.

It is? I see people pay $20 - $30 on DVDs all the time.. strange
  • Reply 1967 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

It is? I see people pay $20 - $30 on DVDs all the time.. strange

How many DVD's have you bought at that price?
  • Reply 1968 of 2639
    Quote:

How many DVD's have you bought at that price?

I don't buy DVD's, I buy Blu-Ray. I see many people everyday paying those prices. $19.99 to $24.99 is generally the price for new releases, sometimes as high as $28.99. Not nearly as many people shop online/look for great deals as you think. Your opinion of the market is rather frugal.
  • Reply 1969 of 2639
    Quote:

I don't buy DVD's, I buy Blu-Ray. I see many people everyday paying those prices. $19.99 to $24.99 is generally the price for new releases, sometimes as high as $28.99. Not nearly as many people shop online/look for great deals as you think. Your opinion of the market is rather frugal.

Really?..... then how many blu-ray movies have you bought at the price of $20 - $30? Most of my HDM discs were bought below $20, except for the several combo titles at $25. And we know what people used to say about the combo titles because they cost extra.

I still do buy new releases on DVD for kids, and I don't pay more than $20. If I remember correctly, most new releases are right around $14.99 to $17.99 at retails on the release date/week. I know BB and Target do this all the time for DVD's.
  • Reply 1970 of 2639
    Quote:

Really?..... then how many blu-ray movies have you bought at the price of $20 - $30?

ALL of mine.

your opinion or experience is unique to you, you do not speak for the masses.. got it.
  • Reply 1971 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

ALL of mine.

your opinion or experience is unique to you, you do not speak for the masses.. got it.

Ditto. All of mine were around $30, except for the Warner Bros. 5 pack, which would have worked out to cheaper. My price assessment for DVDs might seem off to you, but that is Canadian pricing. Maybe they haven't adjusted movie prices yet.
  • Reply 1972 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Even if they own PS3, $20+ price tag on HDM disc is still a enthusiast price.

Ah. I remember when DVDs were still enthusiast-priced. Too bad the format failed.
  • Reply 1973 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

ALL of mine.

Perhaps, your experience may be the unique one. Remove VAT from your purchased price and that's how much most people pay in the states. That should easily be below U$30. I've imported UK versions of HDM's from amazon.uk and the cost after removing VAT have been below $30. Actually, there used to be greater promotions on the softwares in the first two years and many early adopters paid much less and most did pay below $20 for HDM titles. Remember all those BOGO? At times, when BOGO goes on effect, I paid less than $10 for each HDM tittle.

Regardless, the US market should still be considered the mass market even in this niche HDM market, and should represent the experience of the HDM enthusiasts. Perhaps, the mass American consumers are either cheap or smarter shoppers?
  • Reply 1974 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Ah. I remember when DVDs were still enthusiast-priced. Too bad the format failed.

Also, it's been only 2/3 years since I paid almost $1,000 for a enthusiast-end progressive DVD player. However, the success of DVD format was probably driven by the cheaper sub $199 players instead.
  • Reply 1975 of 2639
    For Those who need to know

Quote:

Star Trek: The Original Series: Season Two Remastered Standard DVD Full Screen

Street Date: August 5, 2008

Actors: Bill Blackburn, James Doohan, DeForest Kelley, Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy, Eddie Paskey, William Shatner

Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, TV

Synopsis: ? Space?The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before !? The series is set in the 23rd century where Earth has survived World War III then moved on to explore the stars.

PRODUCT INFO:

Runtime: 21 Hr. 51 Min. 42 Sec.

US Rating: N/R -

• Reply 1976 of 2639
    Quote:

Really?..... then how many blu-ray movies have you bought at the price of $20 - $30? Most of my HDM discs were bought below $20, except for the several combo titles at $25. And we know what people used to say about the combo titles because they cost extra.

I still do buy new releases on DVD for kids, and I don't pay more than $20. If I remember correctly, most new releases are right around $14.99 to $17.99 at retails on the release date/week. I know BB and Target do this all the time for DVD's.

Bite, in our area new DVD releases are usually priced at $19.99 although BB, Target or CC sometime run a loss leader on one high demand new release and price it in the $14.99 - 17.99 range. I've only bought 2 DVDs in the last year or so, Bourne 3 when it first came out because it wasn't on BD and wasn't likely to be on it anytime in the foreseeable future, the other was an old TV series Barney Miller Season 2.

As far as BD, I've bought some at list B&M price, some at B&M prices using various store and internet coupons, pre ordered some from Amazon using their normal discount from list and have taken advantage of some BOGO and B2GO offers. While I'd prefer paying <$20, I rationalize if I pay more because I don't buy many titles, only must-have for me ones. Besides, Netflix is your friend. I also keep a list of titles that I'll buy but only if they're on a BOGO or possibly a B2GO sale.
  • Reply 1977 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's amazing it's 4% much less the 8% from earlier. I'd have guessed less lower.

As far as HD-DVD goes I'm sure the close outs are selling well. As folks say, its not like HD-DVD players suddenly all stopped working even with the format dead.

So true. My HD DVD collection has doubled since the format died. I just picked up Heroes for $35 and roughly 18 other titles. I'm averaging about $8 a movie purchased. It's going to be a tough 2008 for HDM. Once I have access to affordable Blu-ray 2.0 players I'll raid the used market for Blu-ray discs. There's little reason to pay full pop unless you just MUST see the movie upon release.
  • Reply 1978 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

So true. My HD DVD collection has doubled since the format died. I just picked up Heroes for $35 and roughly 18 other titles. I'm averaging about $8 a movie purchased. It's going to be a tough 2008 for HDM. Once I have access to affordable Blu-ray 2.0 players I'll raid the used market for Blu-ray discs. There's little reason to pay full pop unless you just MUST see the movie upon release.

Blockbuster sold off the rest of their rental copies for 9.99 or 3 for 24, so yeah there are some awesome deals if you still have a HD-DVD player.
  • Reply 1979 of 2639
    Quote:

Ditto. All of mine were around $30, except for the Warner Bros.

US or Canadian? Most Blu-rays on Amazon US sell for around $20 with quite a few regular 3 for 2 offers. DVD releases aren't much cheaper in general.
  • Reply 1980 of 2639
    Reuters are saying Universal will release their BD lineup, which should be about 40 movies

Among them are the studio's five big feature films of the summer, including "The Incredible Hulk," with Edward Norton, William Hurt and Liv Tyler; "Wanted," an action thriller starring James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie; "Hellboy II: The Golden Army"; "Mamma Mia," the adaptation of the musical starring Meryl Streep; and the sequel "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," with Brendan Fraser and Jet Li.

Universal officially will enter the Blu-ray market July 22 with a trio of films from its "Mummy" action-adventure franchise: "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns," both starring Fraser, and the spinoff "The Scorpion King," with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Also planned for domestic Blu-ray before the year is up are the catalog titles "American Gangster," "Knocked Up," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," "Miami Vice," "End of Days," "U-571" and "Land of the Dead," among others.

Linky here