Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 2001 of 2639
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    at present i don't see why both downloads and physical media (DVD and B-R) can't co-exist and for the next several years at that.

funnily enough, this petition was brought to my attention today:

http://www.gopetition.com/online/18632.html

no surprise that reference to it was deleted of the apple.com discussions.

i understand it is a difficult process to incorporate B-R into DVDSP, however apple's silence on the issue doesn't help smaller production companies, authorin houses and independents in making decisions about purchasing (especially conidering the cost of professional B-R authoring tools). especially when they have already invested alot of money into the apple pro-app platform.
  • Reply 2002 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

at present i don't see why both downloads and physical media (DVD and B-R) can't co-exist and for the next several years at that.

funnily enough, this petition was brought to my attention today:

http://www.gopetition.com/online/18632.html

no surprise that reference to it was deleted of the apple.com discussions.

i understand it is a difficult process to incorporate B-R into DVDSP, however apple's silence on the issue doesn't help smaller production companies, authorin houses and independents in making decisions about purchasing (especially conidering the cost of professional B-R authoring tools). especially when they have already invested alot of money into the apple pro-app platform.

LPs, Cassettes and CDs existed side by side for a number of years.
  • Reply 2003 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Although that was a talkback comment about the article I would agree with that also. But I'm much more discerning than most. The average Joe just doesn't look that closely. And it's those guys we're talking about for mass adoption. An example. I have repeatedly tried to point out the difference between HD and SD on cable for my girl friend. For me SD is like watching TV through a screen door. She says : " I really can't see the big difference ". Although lately I've noticed she has been using the HD version of the local channels pretty much exclusively ( especialy KGW which recently changed their news to real HD ).

does she wear glasses? seriously, maybe she should have her eyes checked.

I'm not being rude, honestly, but If you cant tell the difference then, its time for a checkup.
  • Reply 2004 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

does she wear glasses? seriously, maybe she should have her eyes checked.

I'm not being rude, honestly, but If you cant tell the difference then, its time for a checkup.

Unfortunately there's a block of people out there just like that. I really don't know what it is except maybe they don't really watch. They're paying attention to something else.

Don't know.
  • Reply 2005 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

But drivel is actually what Hollywood specializes in.

How true, one only has to look at the weekly movie box office figures to see this. However, the movie industry is also capable of producing some great enduring pictures both now and in the past. Which was the point of my original post about A Passage to India, hoping that studios would release some of their quality catalog titles.
  • Reply 2006 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Unfortunately there's a block of people out there just like that. I really don't know what it is except maybe they don't really watch

If they're watching HD cable they may not see any real advantage. I don't. With the insane amount of compression that our cable provider puts on HD there's pixellated blockiness in spades. I'd rather have up-rezzed SD for just plain ole' TV.
  • Reply 2007 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Sony sees...the revolution will be downloaded, then televised.
  • Reply 2008 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

How true, one only has to look at the weekly movie box office figures to see this. However, the movie industry is also capable of producing some great enduring pictures both now and in the past. Which was the point of my original post about A Passage to India, hoping that studios would release some of their quality catalog titles.

Part of the problem is that we live in the age of the formula. They're afraid to try something new.
  • Reply 2009 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

A new report from Bernstein Research predicts that mass Blu-ray adoption won’t start until the end of 2009, when players fall beneath $200. The interest in upgrading to high-def players is only mild, and Blu-ray ownership won’t hit 25 percent of US households until the end of 2011, as reported by Reuters/Hollywood Reporter.

Source - So does this mean we'll have list prices of $30-$40 on Blu-Ray discs for another 3 years
  • Reply 2010 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I was talking with a couple friends last night who are your average Joe's. They know how to google and check email, but that's about the limit of their computing tasks. They have big screen TV's and a digital cable.

I asked them if they'd rather go to Best Buy and buy discs are sit on their couch and download movies. They both said universally, "Hey, I just want to hit the button, drop in a disc and hit play." I don't want to do all this downloading crap. I can barely make my iPod work properly."

And I think they represent the average person. I was talking with my father about calculating currency exchange rates for his trip to Europe and I told him about a cool widget he can download on his iMac. He shot back, "I just barely figured out how to turn the f*cking thing on!"

Blu-Ray is going to do just fine folks.
  • Reply 2011 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Source - So does this mean we'll have list prices of $30-$40 on Blu-Ray discs for another 3 years

Just bought The Orphanage on release day for $25, no tax, and free shipping from Amazon. The 5-Disc Blade Runner Blu-ray set is currently $19.99. Quit exaggerating the situation.
  • Reply 2012 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Just bought The Orphanage on release day for $25, no tax, and free shipping from Amazon. The 5-Disc Blade Runner Blu-ray set is currently $19.99. Quit exaggerating the situation.

And that has what to do with list price?

I'm well aware I can get movies below the $30-$40 list price from Amazon, but in-store prices are still $24.99 to $34.99, most sitting right in-between at $29.99. At $10-$15 more than the regular DVD version, it's no wonder people think regular DVD is just fine for them. Those prices are way too high for an impulse buy, which I imagine accounts for the vast majority of in-store movie purchases. What's worse, Blu-Ray's high list prices is why Netflix is going to start charging a premium for Blu-Ray rentals. I imagine Blockbuster and other rental houses will follow. The only people these prices are good for is the studios, whom I fear will milk it for as long as possible, even if it means locking Blu-Ray in as a "premium" version of DVD for years to come.

If these $30-$40 list prices stick around for another 2-3 years, digital downloads are going to look better and better all the time; you can impulse-buy a digital download, and don't have to pay a 25%-50% premium over SD, which means you actually might.
  • Reply 2013 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

And that has what to do with list price?

I'm well aware I can get movies below the $30-$40 list price from Amazon, but in-store prices are still $24.99 to $34.99, most sitting right in-between at $29.99. At $10-$15 more than the regular DVD version, it's no wonder people think regular DVD is just fine for them. Those prices are way too high for an impulse buy, which I imagine accounts for the vast majority of in-store movie purchases. What's worse, Blu-Ray's high list prices is why Netflix is going to start charging a premium for Blu-Ray rentals. I imagine Blockbuster and other rental houses will follow. The only people these prices are good for is the studios, whom I fear will milk it for as long as possible, even if it means locking Blu-Ray in as a "premium" version of DVD for years to come.

If these $30-$40 list prices stick around for another 2-3 years, digital downloads are going to look better and better all the time; you can impulse-buy a digital download, and don't have to pay a 25%-50% premium over SD, which means you actually might.

I've never seen a $30 to $40 Blu Ray disk yet, and I work in retail. We sell Blu Ray. Get a grip, quite the gripe, and drop the H8R Hype.

I ask my video guy every week if there any more customers signed up on the High Def package at my local video store, and there is never been less than four in a week. The Blu Ray battle isn't going to be won in the retail market. It'll be in the rental outlet. That's where 99% of the movie's are sold.
  • Reply 2014 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I've never seen a $30 to $40 Blu Ray disk yet, and I work in retail. We sell Blu Ray. Get a grip, quite the gripe, and drop the H8R Hype.

Ever Been in to a Target Store? Or a Best Buy? You know, those places where people shop? Most Blu-Rays are marked at $28ish, with many desirable new titles at $35. The $30-$40 list prices set by the studios is why that's the case.

Quote:

I ask my video guy every week if there any more customers signed up on the High Def package at my local video store, and there is never been less than four in a week. The Blu Ray battle isn't going to be won in the retail market. It'll be in the rental outlet. That's where 99% of the movie's are sold.

As I just said, Netflix intends to begin charging a premium for Blu-Ray rentals, due to the cost, and I imagine other rental houses will follow in their lead. So the list of reasons for consumers to just stick with DVD keeps getting longer and longer.
  • Reply 2015 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Go visit your local BB or CC and you'll see how wrong your are.

Just curious what you mean by having 99% movie market being the rental outlet. Are you saying that enthusiasts and the mass consumer movie disc purchases make up 1% of the revenue?
  • Reply 2016 of 2639
    Quote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....d&usc=cat02015

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com...ype=cchpmovnav

That's what all stores are like around here.
  • Reply 2017 of 2639
    Toshiba selling Blu-ray ??

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/24/t...-ray-hardware/

interesting.

What will the FUDmongers say now I wonder? get ready for "la la la I'm NOT Listening"
  • Reply 2018 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

As I just said, Netflix intends to begin charging a premium for Blu-Ray rentals, due to the cost, and I imagine other rental houses will follow in their lead. So the list of reasons for consumers to just stick with DVD keeps getting longer and longer.

Yeah, where did you read that? Let's see a link?
  • Reply 2019 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Yeah, where did you read that? Let's see a link?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/04/21...blu-ray-discs/
  • Reply 2020 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Toshiba selling Blu-ray ??

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/24/t...-ray-hardware/

interesting.

What will the FUDmongers say now I wonder? get ready for "la la la I'm NOT Listening"

What are you babbling about?

Isn't it obvious that a CE manufacturer like Toshiba would build units from the standard that won the disc format war? Do you think if Blu-Ray had lost, that Sony would have sat down and sulked for a decade?

This doesn't have anything to do with BR's being eclipsed by downloads. Toshiba is a CE manufacturer.

They have no presence in the download market.