Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 2441 of 2639
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

[soundwave]onlooker superior. Northgate inferior.[/soundwave]

Aren't you both right? Isn't a graphic novel a specific sub-category of comic book.

A graphic novel is a hybrid of the two, from what I've read about it, having its own, new category.
  • Reply 2442 of 2639
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

A graphic novel is a hybrid of the two, from what I've read about it, having its own, new category.

"... oh where, oh where did my little thread go? Oh where, oh where did it go?"

Ok it was never mine..

But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels?

... on second thoughts, don't explain that.

Jimzip
  • Reply 2443 of 2639
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

. . . But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels? . . .

Beats me. . . Just throwing in my two cents.
  • Reply 2444 of 2639
    Ok so after reading the Myspace thread I jumped on the bandwagon and became totally obsessed with it - now that the Myspace obsession has died down, I've become hooked on Facebook!! I love it! I think it's so much better then Myspace and Hi5 and all those other 10 million sites that exist . . . At first I wasn't too keen but my friend made my profile for me . . . I was told "it's at a 'university' level and doesn't have any bogans or teeny boppers" I guess what she meant was that it's a bit more "mature" then the other sites . . . Ok it's hard to explain! But i'm totally hooked on it now and it's really not helping with all this uni work that I have to get done!!

Does anyone else use Facebook??
  • Reply 2445 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

"... oh where, oh where did my little thread go? Oh where, oh where did it go?"

Ok it was never mine..

But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels?

... on second thoughts, don't explain that.

Jimzip

well isn't it obvious?

graphic novels offer more storage!
  • Reply 2446 of 2639
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    Facebook > Myspace.

That said, anyone know of any good sales going on? I've been itching to expand my Blu-ray collection.
  • Reply 2447 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    When The Dark Knight comes out on Blu-ray i may be inclined to actually go out and buy a player.
  • Reply 2448 of 2639
    Well gotta say the Dark Knight was a bit of a disappointment. Utterly failed to live up to even half the hype, a confusing mish mash of ideas.

basically it was one of those films that seem to be a new trend in film making.

the second film of 3 (or more) the "set up" movie.

quite rubbish taken on its own and made me feel like asking for my money back, if Nolan gets a gong for this turd, I think Hollywood should shut down and give the money back to the investors.

awful.
  • Reply 2449 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Well gotta say the Dark Knight was a bit of a disappointment. Utterly failed to live up to even half the hype, a confusing mish mash of ideas.

quite rubbish taken on its own and made me feel like asking for my money back, if Nolan gets a gong for this turd, I think Hollywood should shut down and give the money back to the investors.

awful.

Are you joking? Please tell me you are. It did not appear in anyway to be a middle movie building up to another. Yeah it had an open ending to keep the Batman saga going, but that chapter ended. I'm not sure where it became a mishmash to you, seemed pretty straight forward to 95% of rottentomatoes.com reviewers (and me as well). The movie was awesome and Chris Nolan is an amazing director.

Let me guess, you thought Spiderman 3 was better and a much more enjoyable movie?
  • Reply 2450 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

awful.

Really? I walked away from the film (last night at IMAX) thinking it was the best movie I've seen thus far this summer. Even better the Iron Man. And certainly the best in the Batman series in my opinion.

I certainly felt for Heath Ledger (knowing that he has passed), who nailed the character of the Joker. An even better character representation than Jack Nicholson in the first Batman. Heath deserves some awards for his performance, as he certainly was captivating--both in his delivery as well as what the Joker stood for as a whole.

I personally can't wait to see the next one. Nolan is doing a fantastic job, but to each his own.
  • Reply 2451 of 2639
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

When The Dark Knight comes out on Blu-ray i may be inclined to actually go out and buy a player.

For one movie? Or is this just the movie that puts it over the edge?

As for Batman, I'm going to go see it in an hour, and from everyone I've talked to they've said it was the best movie they've seen all year.

I'm excited.
  • Reply 2452 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

awful.

You make me want to vomit in my own mouth. Seriously, this explains a lot about you...

The Dark Knight might be the first movie in decades that has lived up to the hype to please such a wide variety of viewers. I expect some people to say they weren't totally impressed but to come out like you did... unreal.

• Reply 2453 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    The movie was brilliant.

In case anyone's curious, the new Blu-Ray BATMAN BEGINS has TDK's opening IMAX sequence on it and it looks gorgeous. The transfer is stunning (as I'd expect from 65mm film). The sound-design is fantastic.
  • Reply 2454 of 2639
    Spiderman 3

nah, not really a great film, but better than the other two... actually scratch that, I just remembered the "bar room" scenes yeek!

---

Ok, when you have all gotten over your love affair with the late heath ledger who is unquestionably a good actor, say in 6 months time, then tell me what you think.

I am gonna give it a second look, but parts of it were rushed, the Dialogue messy, and some of the plot points were ticked right from the "how to make a hollywood movie" guide book.

Cinematography was great, the Spectacle of some of the big scenes were amazing..

but just WOW what a failure on so many other levels.

The CGI for Two face was great, Gyllenhaal however was unconvincing to the point of possibly being in the next spiderman movie.

It had none of the patience to wait for itself to unfold, that Begins had, and actually it was a rather weak performance from Oldman IMO.

--

Two comments I heard when Leaving "That was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life!" and "Total CRAAAAP"

--

its not the worst film I've seen, but it failed to deliver on expectations.
  • Reply 2455 of 2639
    I saw it. It blew my mind.

End of discussion for me.
  • Reply 2456 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I saw it. It blew my mind.

End of discussion for me.

Chris Nolan is the best director going right now, in my opinion. Memento was a masterpiece but so was Dark Knight. To me it had nothing to do with Heath and everything to do with being the sequel to my previous favourite Batman movie "Batman Begins". I originally was worried about Heath as the Joker actually, but he was AMAZING.

PS. This post took me far too long as I was totally in the bag when I typed it out.
  • Reply 2457 of 2639
    I think a good amount of people were worried about that, but man... He really came through.

It's nice to see that sequels can still be done right.
  • Reply 2458 of 2639
    I haven't watched the movie so I can't comment on in. I'll wait until it comes out in BD and then rent it first to see if'll be one I want to buy.

Elixir's comment about TDK might be the movie to get him to buy a BD player got me to thinking: for those of you still sitting BD out, is there a movie that would get you to commit?

Oh, on the comic book - graphic novel thing, one of the big differences is $15 -$20 in price, grin.
  • Reply 2459 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'd love the Star Wars Trilogy (classic) on Blu. Even if it's just the special editions.

And, of course, the Indiana Jones films. I'm hoping to see a Blu-Ray boxed set of all four movies.
  • Reply 2460 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I haven't watched the movie so I can't comment on in. I'll wait until it comes out in BD and then rent it first to see if'll be one I want to buy.

Elixir's comment about TDK might be the movie to get him to buy a BD player got me to thinking: for those of you still sitting BD out, is there a movie that would get you to commit?

Oh, on the comic book - graphic novel thing, one of the big differences is $15 -$20 in price, grin.

well the extra price gets you extra storage

ok, already Blu, but what would make me jump in? prob the original SW trilogy and, depending on how good it is (but already has too much hype to live up to) the new Star Trek Movie... IF I could buy it today! cos, like, it ain't even finished yet.. but I'm really ready to see that film! NOW!!1!

LOTR would be a big push also, that Is gonna look AMAZING in hidef.

and possibly (just to get away from SciFi) "How the West Was Won" for sheer vistas of WOW (tm) cos I hear they have done a real good job rescuing it from the decomposing 47 year old mess the reels had gotten into.