Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1261 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

PS3 is predicted to outsell the 360 this year, and take the lead out of all 3 consoles by 2011.

Just in case you've lost count, we're just starting 2008.

We'll discuss the matter more fully when Marz starts his Blu-ray vs Downloads (2011) thread.
  • Reply 1262 of 2639
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    They are reporting on Japanese television that the format is dead and Toshiba will be making an announcement soon.
  • Reply 1263 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

yes, lets see PS3 sales from here on out shall we. it wont win in this country, i put my life on it.

Can we hold you to that? or just make you never post your fan ravings ever again.

CLICK BANG!
  • Reply 1264 of 2639
    Quote:

do you constantly refurbish crap and post it here?

again, as a gaming machine the 360 provides better games and a better online experience.

your opinion?

ONLY
  • Reply 1265 of 2639
    Quote:

You know what, never mind. I see no point in continuing this, even though for some reason you do.

wasn't he the idiot who said this discussion was over?

Personally I think I'm gonna put him on ignore for a while.
  • Reply 1266 of 2639
    Quote:

obviously what? i'm sorry but the pure hate for microsoft in this forum blinds most you.

"obviously the 360 has more games in the top ten, it has been out a full year long"

the 360 has been out longer than the Wii yet the wii is k/cking butt all over the place. it smokes the PS3 in japan (where the sony brand was king last gen), it's games are always in the top spots there and in other places. so where is the excuse there? i think its safe to say most people are buying Ps3's and then buying blurays instead of games.

so microsoft jammed the channels with supplies and sold most of those supplies.. hmm is that a bad thing? why didn't sony do that then? i guess they said "wait, we want to sell 30 something thousand units over microsoft in one of the slowest months of the gaming calender, lets hold off supplies!"

brilliant!

yes, lets see PS3 sales from here on out shall we. it wont win in this country, i put my life on it. the 360 has the exclusive content that the U.S market wants, bottom line. so, there is a minor trend where you live to buy/rent inferior games for the playstation 3? (and they are inferior considering most third party titles are reviewed higher on the 360), great for your town.

i'm not the fanboy here, i dont dispute bluray winning the format war, i dont dispute the failure rates of the first gen 360 units, i dont dispute that japan doesn't give a rats a55 for the 360 but the reality is still crystal clear:

the 360 has been a better gaming machine since launch.

p.s: the 360 had an HD-DVD attachment and so it was and still is a valid discussion in this thread.

No, the stories are chalk full of 360's so MS can't sell the retailers anymore. They have to sit and wait till more are sold. Sony doesn't do this because it is stupid logic and it is coming back to bite MS in the ass right now.

So because the exclusive content YOU want is on 360 that means it is what everyone else wants? I think some people might want MGS, Grand Turismo and Final Fantasy. But you would no best, you bet your life on it.

Btw, only fanboys speak the way you do. You ARE a fanboy. I have owned all three systems, I don't have a biased opinion, you do.
  • Reply 1267 of 2639
    Here is the link to the info out of Japan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...27196120080216

I'm going downstairs to hug my Blu-Ray collection.
  • Reply 1268 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Here is the link to the info out of Japan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...27196120080216

I'm going downstairs to hug my Blu-Ray collection.

I just bought three movies from Amazon. I think I may have a viewing spree next week.
  • Reply 1269 of 2639
    The fat lady IS NOW SINGING

engaget link especially for murch, because he loves them so much.
  • Reply 1270 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

The fat lady IS NOW SINGING

engaget link especially for murch, because he loves them so much.

Looks like the Apple TV update come out at just the right time.
  • Reply 1271 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

No, the stories are chalk full of 360's so MS can't sell the retailers anymore. They have to sit and wait till more are sold. Sony doesn't do this because it is stupid logic and it is coming back to bite MS in the ass right now.

So because the exclusive content YOU want is on 360 that means it is what everyone else wants? I think some people might want MGS, Grand Turismo and Final Fantasy. But you would no best, you bet your life on it.

Btw, only fanboys speak the way you do. You ARE a fanboy. I have owned all three systems, I don't have a biased opinion, you do.

yeah, right, i'm the fanboy. i just wont sit back when people post crap like "ps3 to overtake wii and 360 in 2011"

yeah, 2011!!!!! i mean come on, and yet some of you post that crap like it holds some kind of weight. 2011, which would be the time span between the ps2 and ps3. a whole full gen over, and the ps3 will supposedly just catch up and surpass the other two?

hey guys just in "analysts predict movie downloads to beat out bluray disks by 2015" wooooooo
  • Reply 1272 of 2639
    Quote:

yeah, right, i'm the fanboy. i just wont sit back when people post crap like "ps3 to overtake wii and 360 in 2011"

yeah, 2011!!!!! i mean come on, and yet some of you post that crap like it holds some kind of weight. 2011, which would be the time span between the ps2 and ps3. a whole full gen over, and the ps3 will supposedly just catch up and surpass the other two?

hey guys just in "analysts predict movie downloads to beat out bluray disks by 2015" wooooooo

Yeah, right, fanboy. Stop taking shit so personally, pull that tampon out of your ass while you are at it! Go play your 360, it rulez!!! Especially when it comes to HD optical media.
  • Reply 1273 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

If he gets over his, will you get over yours?

Probably not.

And Marz? Sorry about all that I've said. I can see where you're coming from.

No worries mate. I might have had ruffled your feathers as well as others with my delivery, and I do apologize if I offended. I think we all can get aggressive in our banter, but please know I don't ever mean to be malicious...just firm in my opinion and stance--and sometimes this calls for witty, albeit sobering, retorts.

I hope we can all enjoy high-def movies via Blu-ray going forward. Not to mention being in our Macs.
  • Reply 1274 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Just in case you've lost count, we're just starting 2008.

We'll discuss the matter more fully when Marz starts his Blu-ray vs Downloads (2011) thread.

LMAO......I best get that one going...
  • Reply 1275 of 2639
    Just sharing, but I thought it kind of eerie that a lot of my predictions for 2008 have come to fruition...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...55&postcount=2
  • Reply 1276 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Ok for those of you who thought my mentioning the coming challenge of DVD vs. BR irrelevant read this article on " Ain't It Cool News ".

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35643

I'll print the last paragraph for you.

" Now that the Format war is over - there's still another war for the companies to wage... the war to get the populace to abandon standard def DVD and en masse convert to BLU RAY. The only way that'll happen is if Blu Ray lowers their prices significantly on their titles. There's a lot left for SONY to do - but now that they've slain their biggest enemy - all that is left is to win the hearts, minds and dollars of the rest of the consumers to make the big conversion. "

I'd say lower the prices on their players as well. $ 199.00 seemed to be the sweet spot for HD DVD. That's only $ 100.00 lower for BR.
  • Reply 1277 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Written by another cry baby that bought an HD-DVD player obviously.
  • Reply 1278 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Ok for those of you who thought my mentioning the coming challenge of DVD vs. BR irrelevant read this article on " Ain't It Cool News ".

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35643

I'll print the last paragraph for you.

" Now that the Format war is over - there's still another war for the companies to wage... the war to get the populace to abandon standard def DVD and en masse convert to BLU RAY. The only way that'll happen is if Blu Ray lowers their prices significantly on their titles. There's a lot left for SONY to do - but now that they've slain their biggest enemy - all that is left is to win the hearts, minds and dollars of the rest of the consumers to make the big conversion. "

I'd say lower the prices on their players as well. $ 199.00 seemed to be the sweet spot for HD DVD. That's only $ 100.00 lower for BR.

Wasnt it the HD-DVDers that were saying aint it cool was full of BS?

either way, it is NOT ONLY Sony remember, WHY do we have to keep reminding these "morans"? ALL the companies will get behind BD, more players AND recorders will be made, more lazers will be required etc. production costs will come down, prices will get lower with competition from ALL manufacturers. However all the companies making BD will see more profit in a $200 player, so will be more inclined to make one of those as opposed to 10 SD players with peanuts profit on each.

Pretty soon all you will be able to buy are BD players, they will also play SD, but the penetration of BD capable players will help increase awareness of and then acceptance of the BD standard.

I'm all for downloads in the long term or even just for renting movies I dont want to buy, but the crys of "Yea HD-DVD is dead I'm switching to Downloads" seems to be going down another early adopter failure route, without adding in all the facts.

It would seem that Apple is the way to go (already proven big success with something called iTunes and the iPod) however I wonder at all the disparate companies pushing their hardware with their file format tied to their selection of content. Download has so much potential but it just a fledgling at the moment.

BD on the other hand has a huge POTENTIAL user base (Don't start on semantics) and if as I suggest above, ALL manufacturers switch to BD capable players in the next year or so, then the POTENTIAL install base will just explode.

Compare this to IMO the best option for going the download route, buying an Apple TV, whats the sales looking like for that? who else makes an Apple TV capable machine?

Just a small concern from someone who loves their aTV
  • Reply 1279 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

either way, it is NOT ONLY Sony remember, WHY do we have to keep reminding these "morans"?

Blu-ray is NOT ONLY Sony in the same way that Iraq was invaded by NOT ONLY America. I'm thinking Panasonic gets to be England. Who should be poor, forgotten Poland? LG?

I was about to rip on you for calling people morons and spelling it wrong. But since it's in quotes I'm guessing it's on purpose. Please let me in on the joke.
  • Reply 1280 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Written by another cry baby that bought an HD-DVD player obviously.

No that's the reality. If you want BR to become the mainstream format everyone uses DVD is now the format BR has to beat.