Amazon's new Kindle dubbed the 'iPod of reading'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejr1959_OZ View Post

How many times has this been tried already? Last one that I read about was Sony, now we have Amazon. Trying to turn books into an electronic medium. These folks just don't get it. People like books the way books are. Unless there is an absolutely compelling reason to move books off paper into an electronic medium, then what is the point?

ejr1959_oz

Amen brother. I'm with you there. The Kindle is a one trick pony in a world of iPhones with other interactive devices on the horizon. It's so 1998......

When I'm ready to get away from the electronic world I go grab a book or magazine.
  • Reply 142 of 150
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Not sure why so many people are against E-Readers minus the DRM crap. This means that more data will one day be searchable and accessible. Text books will be cheaper for students and more convenient. There are two sides to the coin but this is really no different than Tapes --> CD --> Digital Format

Personally, books are hard on my hands and that is why I look forward to getting my Kindle.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

...This means that more data will one day be searchable and accessible.....

Ummm... that's what the Intarweb is for? The main problem here with the Kindle is that it is going off into its own rubbish proprietary / pay-as-you-go model when real books [DRM free, for the most part], and the Internet is there.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ummm... that's what the Intarweb is for? The main problem here with the Kindle is that it is going off into its own rubbish proprietary / pay-as-you-go model when real books [DRM free, for the most part], and the Internet is there.

I'll call my shot right here...one day, maybe 200 years from now, some kid will be reading novels that were once protected by DRM that will not be DRM'd in the future. We have already witnessed the music industry go this direction dropping DRM, so why would books will be any different? I don't think they will.
  • Reply 145 of 150
    Quote:

I'll call my shot right here...one day, maybe 200 years from now, some kid will be reading novels that were once protected by DRM that will not be DRM'd in the future. We have already witnessed the music industry go this direction dropping DRM, so why would books will be any different? I don't think they will.

Fair enough. However I'd like to have DRM-free books/ e-books/ etc. within the next 5 years.

Anyways in 200 years we will all be energy/light beings communicating on a subatomic level at 10 ^1000000000000000000 the speed of thought.... ...Takes a nice hit from the b--g
  • Reply 146 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Fair enough. However I'd like to have DRM-free books/ e-books/ etc. within the next 5 years.

Anyways in 200 years we will all be energy/light beings communicating on a subatomic level at 10 ^1000000000000000000 the speed of thought.... ...Takes a nice hit from the b--g

Trekies will have a problem when they get to the year 2345 and we still don't have Warp drive or Klingons.
  • Reply 147 of 150
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Trekies will have a problem when they get to the year 2345 and we still don't have Warp drive or Klingons.

We may have a problem in 2038 when POSIX time resets.
  • Reply 148 of 150
    Here's an interesting article on e-books sparked by the Kindle release. He nails it about the lack of interactivity.

IMO the Kindle is evolutionary and not revolutionary ie... (interactive something along the lines of an iPhone/iTouch.)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ed-ebooks.html