The Wii: does it do it for you? How much longer until it's passed by?

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 164
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Then I see the sales numbers. Anecdotal and hard evidence show that the Wii is selling better and is more popular.

What difference does that make? This isn't about sales numbers.

Quote:

What numbers show the 360 ahead?

Who said the Wii was "wiping the floor" with the 360? (It is wiping the floor with the PS3.)

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Wii in America 7.27 million

360 in America 9.43 million

Japan dramatically skews the stats. Like I say, it's not really meaningful to apply buying trends across vastly different cultures. And again, it's not about sales numbers.

Yes the PS3 isn't selling well no matter how you look at it but this was never about Wii vs PS3.

Quote:

It is extremely surprising given that they actually profit from every Wii sale. That rumor is beyond stupid and I am not surprised at all that you believe it. (Wii rainchecks)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23825

How can it be beyond stupid if a major retailer rep is making the assessment based on his purchasing? I think he'd have more of an idea about it than you would.

Quote:

PSP? Nintendo dominates the handheld side. Keep trying.

Sure but the PSP is still a far better product and delivers a far better gaming experience.

Quote:

Which company is making the most profit off of their game products? Keep trying.

They're right. It's unfortunate that they actually lose money on the console, then, isn't it?

You say this like it's a good thing. People do the same thing with Apple. They're making money so that means they are better. I'm concerned about the quality of product that I get not the profit margins of the company. If a company sells me old hardware wrapped up to look like new hardware then I'm not going to be dumb enough to pay the same price for it.

Would I pay the same price this year for an iMac that is slower than last year's? No. Would I pay for a Wii which costs close to a proper next-gen console but whose games look worse than a PS2? No.

Quote:

Doesn't do what for me? Play a game I'd rather play on a PC than any console?

Why would you rather play it on a PC? Is the Wii not very good for FPS games? I thought this was supposed to be one of the selling points of the Wii-mote.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

It's on the PC, which is superior for FPS gaming than the 360 or PS3.

That's your opinion too. I would personally agree but I know 2 people who own 360s and they've completed the Orange Box and Splinter Cell games on the highest difficulty and they don't like the PC controls.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

I am sure that if Valve really wanted to they could make a decent version of HL2 for the Wii. But there's no real reason for them to. The reason they won't involve themselves in a Wii version is the same reason they bothered to make inferior versions for the PS3 and 360… money. There isn't a big market for FPS games on the Wii.

There is for the 360/PS3, and I don't understand it. FPS games without a mouse/keyboard combination are baffling.

The reason FPS games are popular on the 360/PS3 is because it's a different market. That's what I'm saying. The Wii is really meant for children or inexperienced gamers who don't really get any benefit out of playing an FPS title. Likewise, FPS gamers don't get the same enjoyment out of games like Mario or Zelda.

Just look at the top 20 or so games for each console (count the Mario ones):

PS3:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion\tRole-Playing

The Orange Box\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Rock Band\tRhythm / Music

Assassin's Creed\tHistoric Action Adventure

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare\tModern First-Person Shooter

Ninja Gaiden Sigma\tFantasy Action Adventure

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas\tModern Tactical Shooter

Resistance: Fall of Man\tModern First-Person Shooter

FIFA Soccer 08\tSoccer Sim

NBA 2K8\tBasketball Sim

DiRT\tRally / Offroad Racing

NHL 08\tIce Hockey

Warhawk\tSci-Fi Shooter

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\tModern Tactical Shooter

Madden NFL 08\tFootball Sim

The Darkness\tModern First-Person Shooter

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection\t3D Fighting

NHL 2K7\tIce Hockey Sim

MLB 07: The Show\tBaseball Sim

Virtua Tennis 3 Tennis sim

Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy\t3D Platformer

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition\tHorror Action Adventure

WarioWare: Smooth Moves\tParty Game

Paper Mario\tRole-Playing

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time\tFantasy Action Adventure

Super Paper Mario\t3D Platformer

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess\tFantasy Action Adventure

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure\tAdventure

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Super Metroid\t2D Platformer

Mercury Meltdown Revolution\tPuzzle

Super Mario World\t2D Platformer

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past\tAction Role-Playing

Madden NFL 07\tFootball Sim

Super Mario Bros.\t2D Platformer

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz\tParty Game

Gunstar Heroes\tShoot-'Em-Up

Trauma Center: New Blood\tAction

Medal of Honor Heroes 2\tHistoric First-Person Shooter

Alien Soldier\t2D Platformer

XBox360:

Gears of War\tSci-Fi Shooter

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion\tRole-Playing

The Orange Box\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Halo 3\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Forza Motorsport 2\tGT / Street Racing

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\tModern Tactical Shooter

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas\tModern Tactical Shooter

Rock Band\tRhythm / Music

Assassin's Creed\tHistoric Action Adventure

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare\tModern First-Person Shooter

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords\tPuzzle

BioShock\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Perfect Dark Zero\tSci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Guitar Hero II\tRhythm / Music

Call of Duty 3\tHistoric First-Person Shooter

Burnout Revenge\tRacing

Dead or Alive 4\t3D Fighting

Project Gotham Racing 3\tGT / Street Racing

Call of Duty 2\tHistoric First-Person Shooter

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\tSci-Fi Real-Time Strategy

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\tModern Tactical Shooter

Men shoot, fight, race and play sport so the PS3 and 360 satisfy.

The Wii is for people who like fantasy and relaxed party games.

There is some overlap but the distinction is very clear that the PS3 and 360 are in direct competition and the Wii is in another market altogether.
  • Reply 162 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I'm no stock player, but last time I checked they were still a sell. For example, this is from Business Wire:

Do we have to quote an analyst's opinion on AppleInsider? Let's just look at the facts. Take a look at Sony's stock performance. While it is not doing very well, it isn't doing anywhere near as poorly as the earlier graph suggests. I know the graph was in good fun, but like Microsoft, Sony is a giant and PS3 represents just a fraction of their revenue.

I have a Wii, so naturally I am biased toward Nintendo. But it's not be-all of gaming console. For my gaming needs, Wii suits me better than PS3 and Xbox 360. But at the same time, I would love for it to be capable of outputting lush 720p graphics over HDMI. But in the end, games are all that matter to me and my family prefer to play Wii games.
  • Reply 163 of 164
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've got a Wii and a PS3 (I've also got a PS2). I use the PS3 primarily for movies as it fits in the nook where my TV is above my fireplace really well. I have one game for it (Oblivion) and I'm dying to get my hands on Little big Planet.

My Wii is every bit as much fun now as the day I bought it. My wife and older son play it as well and they both love it. If anything, I'd hope that a future version allows DVD playback and or higher resolution output. I'm more than happy with the evolutionary upgrade to the overall hardware as opposed to the revolution that Sony is trying to usher in.

The Wii delivers exactly what it promises and that's why I like it. A year in I'm still a huge fan.