Analyst: iPhone simply isn't meant for enterprise

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    I had to laugh at the notion that IT should control the direction of a company's technology use. I work in education technology and it is a constant argument about who should be making the decisions. I say use what you like, break it, and let IT have the job security of having to fix it I might make the IT people mad, but education and business should be about vision, not about limits. We have administrators flocking to the iPhone because they LIKE it. I think the analysts report fails to understand that market forces will dictate what is used, and not what any of the rest of us think.

IT has a tough job, and I understand why they want to protect things and make their jobs easier, but if I never stepped outside the box they sometimes try to keep me in, I would never innovate.

Some administrators will follow IT recommendations to a T, but while IT should certainly have input in big tech decisions, they will never beat out the "cool" factor of something like the iPhone, or the next big thing. If the boss wants to use his or her iPhone, you are going to have to learn to support it, and the market will follow.

I support technology freedom!
  • Reply 22 of 102
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member

Forrester Research = Funded by Microsoft.

Quote:

A recent report, for example, found that Red Hat Linux had fewer critical flaws than Microsoft Windows. Another research paper, conducted by Forrester Research and sponsored by Microsoft, unsurprisingly favoured Windows.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5490241.html

• Reply 23 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running View Post

sorry for that, but i am really tired from stupid (sorry) apple fanboiz. Everytime anyone - ANYONE - says anything bad - even only a little bit - about apple and its products, and they are there, shouting. For examle, analysts write serious analysis about why he thinks iPhone cannot be used in enterprise. And immediately, he is punched in the face by apple fanboiz, shouting "OMG thiz iz windoze fud LOL my iphone is super you got to like it windoze is shit LOL." I mean - seriously, did you ever though about your mental illness?

running, the name of this site should tip you off about how some posters here are likely to react to a story such as this.

Be that as it may, you know what I am really tired of? The truly lazy-, bored-, illiterate-sounding word "fanboy" (and its variants) that simply makes the user sound like (s)he is lazy, bored, and illiterate.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

running, the name of this site should tip you off about how some posters here are likely to react to a story such as this.

Be that as it may, you know what I am really tired of? The truly lazy-, bored-, illiterate-sounding word "fanboy" (and its variants) that simply makes the user sound like (s)he is lazy, bored, and illiterate.

Well exactly. Reminds me of the age old political ploy - make fun of something to discredit it. Up here in Canada a bunch of years ago, the Alberta Premier (similar to a State Governor for you all in the USA) used to say K - EYE - OH - ToE when referring to the Kyoto Protocol. Simple - make it sound stupid, make it sound funny - the unthinking masses don't take it seriously.

so, whenever I see anyone refer this 40 year old (me) as a Fanboy or associated with the text messaging type spelling using the Z - I think the same thing. More FUD. Make fun of anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid and you discredit them.

Sadly though - in this case - most of us lurking about here are FAR too smart to fall for that. I wonder who Forrester Research caters to?

Stu
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How open is the calendar management? Can you tie together the calendars of many different people, see what your coworkers are scheduled to do?

iPhone doesn't handle the more advanced WiFi authentication systems used in corporate environments.

Um - calendars - yes..!

WPA - or WEP - um, what's more sophisticated?
  • Reply 26 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuhowe View Post

It's more complicated than that. There are at least six variations on WPA.

Actually, in specific, iPhone (and iTouch) doesn't support 802.1x.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running View Post

sorry for that, but i am really tired from stupid (sorry) apple fanboiz. Everytime anyone - ANYONE - says anything bad - even only a little bit - about apple and its products, and they are there, shouting. For examle, analysts write serious analysis about why he thinks iPhone cannot be used in enterprise. And immediately, he is punched in the face by apple fanboiz, shouting "OMG thiz iz windoze fud LOL my iphone is super you got to like it windoze is shit LOL." I mean - seriously, did you ever though about your mental illness?

I have to say I'm with this guy- trust me there is no vast conspiracy against Apple by Microsoft or anyone. Apple isn't perfect and not everything Apple does is God. If someone wrote an article bashing something cool by Microsoft you would be all over it trying to spin it along as truth.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    ...the iPhone actually works. A great web browser, precise rendering of HTML e-mail, etc. etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The iPhone isn't expensive, it's free, because its unlimited data plan is half the price (or better) of all other data devices sold by AT&T and Verizon. Only $20/month instead of $40 or more per month, plus taxes.

• Reply 29 of 102
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    The author says that the iPhone user won't use the security pass-code due to the lack of convenience. Yet he doesn't use the same reasoning with the users of other smart phones. Lets face it, most people don't secure their data adequately if at all. Secondly, why would you put valuable info on a phone to begin with. You have to figure the odds of losing it are too great. The chances of someone with any know how and desire, can break any security measures.

THe author also uses the tired argument of not being able to replace the battery. I cannot recall ever needing to replace a phone battery before wanting to upgrade the phone anyway.

It just sounds like the same old Apple bashing we have been hearing for years. It is regurgitated crap from haters.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

I have to say I'm with this guy- trust me there is no vast conspiracy against Apple by Microsoft or anyone. Apple isn't perfect and not everything Apple does is God. If someone wrote an article bashing something cool by Microsoft you would be all over it trying to spin it along as truth.

No I (we) wouldn't. That's the difference.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

If someone wrote an article bashing something cool by Microsoft you would be all over it trying to spin it along as truth.

That's a pretty big IF. It just doesn't happen (something cool from Microsoft), so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

BTW: Just as there's no vast conspiracy against Apple, there's no vast conspiracy of Apple fanboyism either. Just a lot of interest in the competition from both sides of the issue and many more people with their retirement savings invested in MSFT, NOK, MOT, VZ, RIMM, etc. than in AAPL. Perhaps in the next year or so that will change.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:

More FUD. Make fun of anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid and you discredit them.

Sadly though - in this case - most of us lurking about here are FAR too smart to fall for that. I wonder who Forrester Research caters to?

-Stu

Aren't you the same person that wrote the post quoted below? If that's the case, how in the HELL can you claim to not be "drinking the kool-aid"? In addition, you are 40 years old? My god.. I was hoping to blame the laughable "its a conspiracy" post on the

naivety of adolescence.

Quote:

... Is this Forrester Research dump on Apple Week or what? First it was McQuivey and now this? Seriously, read between the lines here - FUD - likely funded by MS interests. Good Lord!

... Seriously gang - this is really bizarre. Of COURSE the iPhone does not support Exchange. Exchange is a CLOSED system - not an OPEN standard. Hello?? Anybody home at Forrester?? Why not write a piece about MS Exchange not supporting the iPhone. Or MS not using open software? What is REALLY holding up innovation and interoperability? Or should I say WHO?...

- Stu

• Reply 33 of 102
    My favorite quote from the article:

"As there is currently no way to encrypt the data on an iPhone or remotely block access to the information if the handset is lost or stolen, any information on one of these devices can be easily accessible to a thief"

No kidding a thief is going to be able to access the contents of the phone (if not password protected). If I stole a voyager, a Palm Pilot, a Treo, any Blackberry, I would STILL be able to access the contents of the phone and forward them onto myself within minutes! How does this apply ONLY to the iPhone and not EVERY other phone in the world that is not password protected by the owner?
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

with a diverse selection of mobile platforms ? including BlackBerry, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and now Mac OS X ? IT can?t be expected to support each and every operating system.

I say standardize on Mac OS X. You know, keep it simple for IT.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    What is needed is a handheld (or so; small) device running the full and complete Mac OS X 10.5.x and with no limitations. Call it iPhone, iPod touch or iPalm. Full support for NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The ultimate presentation remote, both wired and wireless. We want thousands, and we want them now! Screen? 6-inch or so should be just perfect.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Um - calendars - yes..!

It doesn't support 802.1X which is a common authentication method for corporate and University WiFi systems.

the lack of 802.1X support (which 10.5 and 10.4 support) I'm getting one for work after Mac World expo.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The current enterprise model is broken," the Forrester analyst says. "IT organizations have been stretched to support whatever platforms their employees have brought into the company. But with a diverse selection of mobile platforms ? including BlackBerry, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and now Mac OS X ? IT can?t be expected to support each and every operating system."

This would not be a problem if, instead of using the proprietary Exchange system, they used an open email and calendaring standard (and any open standard instead of a proprietary one). In this last case, supporting any OS would be a breeze.

But instead they chose a closed Microsoft solution (although "closed" and "Microsoft" may seem a pleonasm, "Microsoft" and "solution" do appear to be an oxymoron), and now they are complaining that it is hard to support other OSes ??? How hard is that to understand !
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Aren't you the same person that wrote the post quoted below? If that's the case, how in the HELL can you claim to not be "drinking the kool-aid"? In addition, you are 40 years old? My god.. I was hoping to blame the laughable "its a conspiracy" post on the

naivety of adolescence.

Yep - I am the same guy.

And at my old age I am smart enough to A) Not drink anyone's Kool Aid and B) Read between the lines when something is called "research" and published for the world to read.

In the case of B, I usually ask myself - who did this research? What is their expertise on the subject? Are they impartial and/or reputable? And most importantly - where do they get their funding? Who sponsored the research and did the sponsor have any agenda in doing so?

I think Forrester, in particular, has an easily researched (pardon the pun) track record and an example has already been posted above regarding Linux.

Nothing more to say on this - just would ask things be kept civil.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    We needed an Analyst to tell us this? Apple had stated at the release that this is NOT intended to be an enterprise solution.

People do find a way, and once the platform is opened up, you will see that change.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

My favorite quote from the article:

"As there is currently no way to encrypt the data on an iPhone or remotely block access to the information if the handset is lost or stolen, any information on one of these devices can be easily accessible to a thief"

No kidding a thief is going to be able to access the contents of the phone (if not password protected). If I stole a voyager, a Palm Pilot, a Treo, any Blackberry, I would STILL be able to access the contents of the phone and forward them onto myself within minutes! How does this apply ONLY to the iPhone and not EVERY other phone in the world that is not password protected by the owner?

The IT staff can enforce a policy on other handsets that the handset has a password and that is it is changed periodically. They can't do that with the iPhone.

Once reported as stolen, the handset can be wiped remotely.

The article makes some good points about corporate phones. But ... the market for personal-use phones is much, much larger than the market for corporate phones. Apple has picked its target market, and it will do well. They'll even find their way into corporate accounts without this technology.

Nothing to see here, move along.