Analyst: iPhone simply isn't meant for enterprise

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Although many executives are snapping up iPhones and expecting corporate support, there are many reasons the Apple device shouldn't be used in large-scale business, says a new report from Forrester Research.



Providing a list of ten main reasons, analyst Benjamin Gray notes that some of the most familiar complaints remain unresolved at the end of 2007, including a lack of Exchange support for many businesses' enterprise servers and a complete lack of native programs versus thousands for BlackBerries, Palm Treos, and Windows Mobile devices.



But the real issue is a lack of manageability for the iPhone, Gray explains. As there is currently no way to encrypt the data on an iPhone or remotely block access to the information if the handset is lost or stolen, any information on one of these devices can be easily accessible to a thief -- especially as most users are likely to leave their iPhones without a password lock for convenience's sake, the expert says.



Conversely, virtually every major smartphone from other manufacturers allows them fine-grained control, allowing them to set the criteria for a password and even to wipe a phone's memory clear if necessary.



The costs both of buying the phone and maintaining it are also major barriers. The price of Apple's phone is twice that of the BlackBerry Curve and lacks the bulk corporate discount frequently needed to clinch large-scale deals, Gray notes. As most iPhones are locked to a single carrier, this similarly forces businesses to pay for expensive roaming fees rather than switch the phone temporarily to a foreign provider.



The lack of a user-replaceable battery and a tactile-feedback keyboard could also prove inconveniences for an enterprise role.



There are niches that the iPhone can fill even at this early stage, according to the report. While Microsoft's tablet PC concept is often bulky and costly for all but a few industries, the iPhone's relatively low price and small size may make it ideal for these tasks. Field workers who need access to some remote information or directions through Google Maps may also appreciate the purchase.



Apple's debut cellphone is likely to improve over time, including third-party app support in February, Gray is careful to mention. But in its primary form, the iPhone is running contrary to the direction of most offices, which are looking to slim down -- not expand -- their choice of mobile equipment.



"The current enterprise model is broken," the Forrester analyst says. "IT organizations have been stretched to support whatever platforms their employees have brought into the company. But with a diverse selection of mobile platforms ? including BlackBerry, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and now Mac OS X ? IT can?t be expected to support each and every operating system."
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "The current enterprise model is broken," the Forrester analyst says. "IT organizations have been stretched to support whatever platforms their employees have brought into the company. But with a diverse selection of mobile platforms — including BlackBerry, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and now Mac OS X — IT can’t be expected to support each and every operating system."



    The whole article was obvious but this last quote is actually worth mentioning. We really need standards in the enterprise. While Exchange is needed for the iPhone to capture the smartphone marketshare that Apple wants it's a Catch 22 as Apple supporting Exchange seems to be insuring Exchange's future survival.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    If you are stupid enough to walk around without your 4 digit pass code on, you deserve to lose your phone and data. First thing i did was lock my phone with a pass code , and my daughter's and my wife's phone ,..,DUH. .,,.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    "The current enterprise model is broken," the Forrester analyst says. "IT organizations have been stretched to support whatever platforms their employees have brought into the company. But with a diverse selection of mobile platforms — including BlackBerry, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and now Mac OS X — IT can’t be expected to support each and every operating system."



    Of course IT should support each and every operating system! It does now, what is one more to the list? That IS their job you know. Information Technology- make it work. That is what has gotten so many businesses in trouble- relying on just one technology provider -Microsoft!
  • Reply 4 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    If you are stupid enough to walk around without your password on you deserve to lose your phone and data. First thing i did was lock my phone with a password , and my daughter's and my wife's phone ,..,DUH. .,,.



    I do wish the iPhone allowed me to chose a pin or a password. I would like to have this option for added security. As well as, a way to purge my iPhone's personal information remotely.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I do wish the iPhone allowed me to chose a pin or a password. I would like to have this option for added security.



    Are you talking about the 4-digit passcode lock?
  • Reply 6 of 102
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    iPhone has a password, but I doubt that would stop a proficient hacker, once the thief has found one or taught themselves, from connecting it to a computer and accessing the DATA on the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by windsurfer_nyc View Post


    Are you talking about the 4-digit passcode lock?



    I'm talking about an option to use a proper password instead. Having the keyboard appear that allows me to put in a password as long as I desire. A 4-digit pin is only 10,000 possible combinations while even a 4 character password using alphanumerics and special characters can be in the millions.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhotoMacUser View Post


    Of course IT should support each and every operating system! It does now, what is one more to the list? That IS their job you know. Information Technology- make it work.



    I think that's incredibly short-sighted and unrealistic. You're basically expecting one department to make everything work together despite the fact that the device makers have chosen not to cooperate. It's not just Microsoft either, every device has its own proprietary thing that causes problems. Every demand has a cost, and as it is, they seem to demand everything but don't want to pay the bill in the end.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The iPhone isn't expensive, it's free, because its unlimited data plan is half the price (or better) of all other data devices sold by AT&T and Verizon. Only $20/month instead of $40 or more per month, plus taxes.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,599member
    Again, i do not think Apple want those markets because when you enter that market it become more about what some corporate IT person think is the right feature on the phone verse having a product that really works. Trust me the cell phone, PDA, and smart phone companies become a slave to these people/companies who usually have no clue and many time requirements from the various company conflict with each other. Because of this you all end up with something that kind of works.



    For all those interesting in having an iPhone you should be happy it is not an enterprise product because you will end up with something better in the end.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    The iPhone isn't expensive, it's free, because its unlimited data plan is half the price (or better) of all other data devices sold by AT&T and Verizon. Only $20/month instead of $40 or more per month, plus taxes.



    I agree, this is something that people do not realize about the phone especial if you do not have data plan with AT&T right now, wife has an Treo now, and will be getting an iPhone, turns out her data plan which is paid by her company is $40.00 a month will be $20.00 a month with a iPhone, because of this saving her boss agree to pay for the iphone because the pay backing is little over a year.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    I don't know why folks make life so hard for themselves. After having every smart phone for the last 10 years the only thing that was consistent is the fact that they sucked. The iPhone is the worlds first functional hand held computer with an integrated cell phone. Given the physical constraints of the form factor Apple had to ditch the keyboard centric model for a new idea all together. The UI is a breakthrough that will not be fully appreciated by IT for a decade. I think that enterprises that don't embrace it do so at their own peril.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    Rant/



    Good Lord!!! Is this Forrester Research dump on Apple Week or what? First it was McQuivey and now this? Seriously, read between the lines here - FUD - likely funded by MS interests. Good Lord!



    /End Rant



    Seriously gang - this is really bizarre. Of COURSE the iPhone does not support Exchange. Exchange is a CLOSED system - not an OPEN standard. Hello?? Anybody home at Forrester?? Why not write a piece about MS Exchange not supporting the iPhone. Or MS not using open software? What is REALLY holding up innovation and interoperability? Or should I say WHO?



    Really, this crap is getting old fast...





    Tis the Season!



    Stu
  • Reply 14 of 102
    sorry for that, but i am really tired from stupid (sorry) apple fanboiz. Everytime anyone - ANYONE - says anything bad - even only a little bit - about apple and its products, and they are there, shouting. For examle, analysts write serious analysis about why he thinks iPhone cannot be used in enterprise. And immediately, he is punched in the face by apple fanboiz, shouting "OMG thiz iz windoze fud LOL my iphone is super you got to like it windoze is shit LOL." I mean - seriously, did you ever though about your mental illness?
  • Reply 15 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It's not just Microsoft either, every device has its own proprietary thing that causes problems.



    Um, not Apple - they are using mostly open standards on the iPhone - like um, IMAP. Shall I go on??



    After a third reading, I must say IMHO, this article is completely FUD. Obviously, the recent stats on the iPhone topping the mobile web browsing stats has them running scared. I would almost guarantee this is where this "research" is targeted....



    Blah



    Stu
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I think that's incredibly short-sighted and unrealistic. You're basically expecting one department to make everything work together despite the fact that the device makers have chosen not to cooperate. It's not just Microsoft either, every device has its own proprietary thing that causes problems. Every demand has a cost, and as it is, they seem to demand everything but don't want to pay the bill in the end.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running View Post


    sorry for that, but i am really tired from stupid (sorry) apple fanboiz. Everytime anyone - ANYONE - says anything bad - even only a little bit - about apple and its products, and they are there, shouting. For examle, analysts write serious analysis about why he thinks iPhone cannot be used in enterprise. And immediately, he is punched in the face by apple fanboiz, shouting "OMG thiz iz windoze fud LOL my iphone is super you got to like it windoze is shit LOL." I mean - seriously, did you ever though about your mental illness?



    *Plunk*



    Oh and about your bad english - try not using the letter Z so much...
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Dude if your iphone is protected by a passcode theres no way in hell anyone can access it, they might be able to wipe the entire drive trying, but not access it. is not impossible but you will have to take the freaking thing apart, also remember after you try 5x iphone becomes disable for 1 minute and then you try 1 more time and its disable for 5 minutes another try will set you at 15 mitunes and so on, when the unit is in disable mode you can't even jailbreak it, the only option is a hard rest that will wipe everything.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuhowe View Post


    Um, not Apple - they are using mostly open standards on the iPhone - like um, IMAP. Shall I go on??



    How open is the calendar management? Can you tie together the calendars of many different people, see what your coworkers are scheduled to do?



    iPhone doesn't handle the more advanced WiFi authentication systems used in corporate environments.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuhowe View Post


    Is this Forrester Research dump on Apple Week or what?



    My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    How open is the calendar management? Can you tie together the calendars of many different people, see what your coworkers are scheduled to do?



    iPhone doesn't handle the more advanced WiFi authentication systems used in corporate environments.



    Re calendars - yes. With Leopard you're now using the caldav/ical open standard. There is an open source (from Apple) calendar server that can be installed on a server. I comes with Leopard server as well. So iPhone syncs with Desktop calendar which is served by the open-source server.
Sign In or Register to comment.