Analyst: iPhone simply isn't meant for enterprise

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuhowe View Post

Rant/

Good Lord!!! Is this Forrester Research dump on Apple Week or what? First it was McQuivey and now this? Seriously, read between the lines here - FUD - likely funded by MS interests. Good Lord!

/End Rant

Seriously gang - this is really bizarre. Of COURSE the iPhone does not support Exchange. Exchange is a CLOSED system - not an OPEN standard. Hello?? Anybody home at Forrester?? Why not write a piece about MS Exchange not supporting the iPhone. Or MS not using open software? What is REALLY holding up innovation and interoperability? Or should I say WHO?

Really, this crap is getting old fast...

Tis the Season!

Stu

Pretty sharp, Stu. I will be filing this one with the Dell quote and the Buisness Week article telling Apple what a giant mistake retail store will be.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    IT'S ALL ABOUT THE USER EXPERIENCE, STUPIDS!

Good God, when will these tools finally figure it out? Execs will KEEP buying iPhones along with every one else because they are a better EXPERIENCE, whether or not they have the FEATURES of a Crackberry.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE USER EXPERIENCE, STUPIDS!

Good God, when will these tools finally figure it out? Execs will KEEP buying iPhones along with every one else because they are a better EXPERIENCE, whether or not they have the FEATURES of a Crackberry.

Features do weigh heavily on the user experience. Since I don't require Exchange or use SMS/MMS with frequency I find the iPhone experience quite extraordinary, but I can see how it can be considered a poor user experience outside the US or in business for lacking such features despite the groundbreaking UI.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Your anaylsis is flawed.

I'm talking XBOX as a device as a success and your mixing in zune, XBOX devision, etc?

Would you mix in an AppleTV with an iPhone when discussing iPhone? Or an iPod HIFI when discussing a Nano's success?

Hey buddy: Read the whole post in the future, before blowing off. Thanks.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    And, to add to the above: Perhaps you could spend some time finding out whether the claim that "Xbox is sold at a loss" is true (Hint: Google). You might actually learn something.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey buddy: Read the whole post in the future, before blowing off. Thanks.

I did, my friend, and the analysis is flawed. Would you talk about the iPod division when discussing shuffle sales? No. Would you talk about the success of the iPod divsion when discussing iPhone sales.? No.

Just because Microsoft has a success with XBOX, do you have to spit food?

Facts are facts- face them. XBOX is and has been outselling Playstation, by almost 2 to 1. Google that. Better yet:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...the-roost.html
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

And, to add to the above: Perhaps you could spend some time finding out whether the claim that "Xbox is sold at a loss" is true (Hint: Google). You might actually learn something.

So your rationale is that even if it's leading in martket share but sold at a loss it's a failure?

-Not to the consumer who is buying it at a profit! Now that's biased.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    Quote:

I did, my friend, and the analysis is flawed. Would you talk about the iPod division when discussing shuffle sales? No. Would you talk about the success of the iPod divsion when discussing iPhone sales.? No.

Just because Microsoft has a success with XBOX, do you have to spit food?

Facts are facts- face them. XBOX is and has been outselling Playstation, by almost 2 to 1. Google that. Better yet:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...the-roost.html

And the Wii has been outselling the 360 by how many to one? Why do you graze over this fact? The PS3--like the 360--is a financial disaster for their respective companies.

So why don't they seem to mind hemorrhaging so much money in these areas? IMO, MS does it maintain a hold on DirectX and Sony is trying to beat out HD-DVD with their Blu-ray optical media.

Regardless of the reasoning behind it, success in business is measured by profit, something that the 360 is not achieving.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    Quote:

So your rationale is that even if it's leading in martket share but sold at a loss it's a failure?

-Not to the consumer who is buying it at a profit! Now that's biased.

Guess what their market share would be if they gave it away for free -- i.e., they less at a 100% loss? That would be an even greater success?

If someone has to start to convince you that there's a correlation between 'profits' and 'success' in a capitalist/free-market economy, frankly, neither you nor that person will have the time in a forum such as this. Better to enroll in a couple of basic courses in economics and finance.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Regardless of the reasoning behind it, success in business is measured by profit, something that the 360 is not achieving.

Again you keep tacking things on to what I say. Success is also measured in market share which the XBOX has way over the Playstation. Second only to the Wii- which by the way in low def has no internet functions and is not comparable really. If its a high def comparison only, the XBOX slams the playstaion in share.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Second only to the Wii- which by the way in low def has no internet functions and is not comparable really.

Wii has internet functions, through WiFi too. There's a web browser. Where did you dig up that lie?
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:

Guess what their market share would be if they gave it away for free -- i.e., they less at a 100% loss? That would be an even greater success?

If someone has to start to convince you that there's a correlation between 'profits' and 'success' in a capitalist/free-market economy, frankly, neither you nor that person will have the time in a forum such as this. Better to enroll in a couple of basic courses in economics and finance.

I am so sorry that you have such bitter grapes against Microsoft. You're right- every thing they have is a failure including Excel, which any finance course in any University would utilize- not Numbers '08 , my friend.

Such anger - maybe you should "enroll" some time with a therapist.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    Quote:

Again you keep tacking things on to what I say. Success is also measured in market share which the XBOX has way over the Playstation. Second only to the Wii- which by the way in low def has no internet functions and is not comparable really. If its a high def comparison only, the XBOX slams the playstaion in share.

You are right. I keep tacking on facts and logic to your FUD. How dare I do such a thing! Again, you fail to mention the Wii. Which has the most marketshare and is the only new console being sold at a profit. As for installed base the PS2 is still reigning champ by a longshot.

FYI, I will continue to "tack on things to what you say" when you conveniently choose not to discuss all the details just to make your point.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Dear teckstud ,

You have yet to get a single fact correct. People have tried to correct your errors, but you blindly continue to quote incorrect information compounding any meaningful discussion. Why?
  • Reply 75 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

Dear teckstud ,

You have yet to get a single fact correct. People have tried to correct your errors, but you blindly continue to quote incorrect information compounding any meaningful discussion. Why?

Dear rickag,

What are you talking about? What error? Ok the Wii does have internet capabilty. My fault- typo. But exactly what information are you bringing to this discussion except pure condensention? And why?
  • Reply 76 of 102
    I'm done with this conversation. The only one more foolish than the fool is the one thinking he can teach the fool.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I am so sorry that you have such bitter grapes against Microsoft. You're right- every thing they have is a failure including Excel, which any finance course in any University would utilize- not Numbers '08 , my friend.

Such anger - maybe you should "enroll" some time with a therapist.

The part you quoted didn't mention Microsoft once. It wasn't specifically about Microsoft in any gruge that I'm aware of. Winning market share by losing money five years in a row qualifies as a Pyrrhic victory. On the other hand, Excel really is making Microsoft a net profit and probably has been from the first year. They're on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as I'm concerned.

There's an expression that I heard, it's not hard to sell a dollar for fifty cents.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    teckstud, you have stated the following

"Your anaylsis is flawed"

"Just because Microsoft has a success with XBOX"

"So your rationale is that even if it's leading in martket share "

"no internet functions"

"I am so sorry that you have such bitter grapes against Microsoft."

All of these are wrong and demonstrably so.

Back on topic:

Here's an interesting nugget.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/1...share-q3-2007/

Quote:

Apple iPhone Already Leads Windows Mobile in US Market Share, Q3 2007

As stated above, the current iPhone did not and does not include enterprise. Yet, it now leads Windows Mobile. I guess the consumer market might really be larger than enterprise.

And will Apple attempt more enterprise sales, well this might provide a clue.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...change-support

Quote:

Apple job posting hints at improved iPhone Exchange support

Exciting times to be an AAPL stock holder.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    [QUOTE=teckstud;1184199][QUOTE=roehlstation;1184189]
    Quote:

No, is that like the "Sad Mac" icon on an iPod?

Well, we didn't have 20 iPods come back to the store yesterday because of that. I do however have 20 XBoxes sitting there defective. Didn't MS have to extend warranty out to 3 years because of that?
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Gee, Apple is an enterprise isn't it? You suppose they use iPhones there? I wonder how they do it? Maybe they don't use exchange? Maybe they don't have an IT dept that is run by antiques that want job security?