Report downplays concerns over lack of 3G iPhone

Comments

• Reply 141 of 176
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'm referring to your million number.

Its not an assumption, its just a guess.

Quote:

It wasn't an unknown source.

The blog says its an unnamed source which makes it unknown to us. Should make any reasonable person skeptical of the claims.

Quote:

Company execs get over excited, let us say. I seem to remember that the CEO's and Chairmen from both MCI and Enron were claiming that their companies were doing fine and dandy just before they went under.

Those are the two absolute worse case scenarios of deliberately lying and covering up illegal activity that could only have ended in dooming the company. Those examples are extremely unusual and are not at all common practice.

As far as we can tell there is a world of difference with O2 and CEO Key from those wildly extreme examples. Its unlikely he is stepping in as a new CEO to begin lying and putting O2 stock in jeopardy.

Quote:

They're both about as believable as each other IMHO and both not very impressive.

Ok they are unimpressive. But unimpressive against what? Against its competitors sales? Or is it not making Apple or its partners a profit?
  • Reply 142 of 176
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The 26,500 figure is from The Register, re-posted without attribution in that blog.

The CEO's numbers in the FT were the same from before the launch.

They're both about as believable as each other IMHO and both not very impressive.

Yah, except for the fact that the Register isn't the only source saying the Euro launch numbers are lackluster. It's pretty obvious that the launch numbers missed O2's stated expectations. \

And, of course, the CEO of O2 has all the incentive in the world to do what Teno's been doing... spin, spin, and more spin. He's not gonna say, "The iPhone had a disappointing launch, we're having a hard time moving 'em, come on in and pick one up today!".

Might as well ask the fox if he's been in the henhouse today.

• Reply 143 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Those are the two absolute worse case scenarios of deliberately lying and covering up illegal activity that could only have ended in dooming the company. Those examples are extremely unusual and are not at all common practice.

If you honestly believe that corporate lying and intense spin is "extremely unusual", then you are terribly naive. \

Quote:

Ok they are unimpressive. But unimpressive against what? Against its competitors sales? Or is it not making Apple or its partners a profit?

Unimpressive against both US sales and Apple meeting its own publicly-stated goal of selling 10 million phones. Unimpressive against O2's publicly stated goal as well.

But you've been told all this, many times before, and yet you continue to play dumb and ignore things you don't like. It is unfortunate, and it has pretty much destroyed your credibility on this one.

• Reply 144 of 176
    Quote:

Unimpressive against it's competitors.

eg. LG Viewty sells 310K in 5 weeks in Europe
  • Reply 145 of 176
    Quote:

If you honestly believe that corporate lying and intense spin is "extremely unusual", then you are terribly naive.

I cannot account for the amount of general lying they may do. But no its not usual for them to attempt to hide extreme losses in sales to the point the business is imploding to keep their stock from falling. Eventually the truth will come to light and people will go to jail. The far majority of the time companies report their losses and their stock price falls. Its more common for companies to report extreme losses go bankrupt and possibly out of business.

Quote:

Unimpressive against it's competitors. eg. LG Viewty sells 310K in 5 weeks in Europe

This phone may very well be outselling the iPhone. The only problem is right now we don't know European iPhone sales from its first 5 weeks.
  • Reply 146 of 176
    Quote:

This phone may very well be outselling the iPhone. The only problem is right now we don't know European iPhone sales from its first 5 weeks.

No we don't and do you know why...

It's because Apple blocks iPhone Sales data.

One wonders why.
  • Reply 147 of 176
    Quote:

No we don't and do you know why... It's because Apple blocks iPhone Sales data. One wonders why.

Apple has guarded iPhone sales in the US also. This is consistent with Apple culture they generally don't release sales numbers for any of their products until the end of the quarter.
  • Reply 148 of 176
    Hey Teno, better hurry and update your resume... I hear a new position just opened up at Apple Europe: 'iPhone Sales Apologist'. The dental plan's simply awesome.

Seriously Teno, why go on an on? No one's been buying what you're selling. We know the Euro launch numbers AREN'T good. You honestly think that sets them up for good Q4 numbers in Europe? That's unintentionally hilarious.

I'll help you out here though... what will happen is that the Q4 numbers will come out, and they'll be okay in some places, awful in others, and mediocre overall. At which point the O2 gentleman of dubious credibility and his equivalents in other nations, and Apple, will 'spin' those numbers into some sort of 'grand success'... even though behind closed doors they'll be disappointed and upset. \

Anything to protect the Apple stock price right now, eh? I'm benefiting from it, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer reality in principle.

• Reply 149 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Its not an assumption, its just a guess.

An assumption is a guess. You're assuming that number will come about. Yes, you could also say that you are guessing that that number will come about. It's the same thing. Not worth quibbling about.

Quote:

The blog says its an unnamed source which makes it unknown to us. Should make any reasonable person skeptical of the claims.

I believe I read something different.

Quote:

As far as we can tell there is a world of difference with O2 and CEO Key from those wildly extreme examples. Its unlikely he is stepping in as a new CEO to begin lying and putting O2 stock in jeopardy.

The point is simply that just because a CEO says something doesn't mean we should believe it. Often they will say something in the hope of raising the hype another notch, encouraging more to buy the product. Sometimes it works.

Don't forget how many times Jobs has said something, only to reverse himself later.
  • Reply 150 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't forget how many times Jobs has said something, only to reverse himself later.

'Year of the Laptop', '3Ghz by next Summer' and the whole PowerPC v Intel power per watt smokescreen to name three.

Wait a minute....

...perhaps Teno is SJ in disguise?
  • Reply 151 of 176
    Quote:

'Year of the Laptop', '3Ghz by next Summer' and the whole PowerPC v Intel power per watt smokescreen to name three.

Wait a minute....

Video on small portable devices isn't useful, we won't compete with Windows machines with an inexpensive box (ok,sorta), etc.

But, I can't blame him for the 3 GHz problems the entire chip industry got itself into at the 90 nm level. I'm sure IBM stated positively that they would do it.
  • Reply 152 of 176
    Quote:

Hey Teno, better hurry and update your resume... I hear a new position just opened up at Apple Europe: 'iPhone Sales Apologist'. The dental plan's simply awesome.

If they turn out to be poor, then that is what it is. I'm saying we haven't heard any real sales numbers since the first week. I think you three don't want sales to be good more than you sincerely believe they aren't good.

Quote:

An assumption is a guess.

Assumption: a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof

Guess: estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct

I did not say I knew for certain what Euro sales are going to be, I estimated what I thought without sufficient information but I am not sure it is correct.

Quote:

I believe I read something different.

While it’s dangerous to place too much stock in an unnamed source, the news joins a large body of existing criticism and reticence of the UK iPhone and points to a device that is suffering disappointing sales.

Quote:

The point is simply that just because a CEO says something doesn't mean we should believe it. Often they will say something in the hope of raising the hype another notch, encouraging more to buy the product. Sometimes it works.

Of course its only good business to try and make the situation sound a good as possible. But this is entirely different from Enron or MCI Worldcom.

But we don't know if CEO Key is jooking the stats or not. As Gartner said he may be underestimating as well.

Quote:

Video on small portable devices isn't useful, we won't compete with Windows machines with an inexpensive box (ok,sorta), etc.

Its obvious he says stuff like that to deflect attention and add to the theatrics of his product launches. Which is mostly harmless manipulation of the media. And is very different from saying we are going to sell 200,000 this quarter and sell far less than that. That can get your stock killed.
  • Reply 153 of 176
    Quote:

If they turn out to be poor, then that is what it is. I'm saying we haven't heard any real sales numbers since the first week. I think you three don't want sales to be good more than you sincerely believe they aren't good.

Not true at all. I would love the sales to be much better. I'm a stockholder remember. I don't want to cut my own throat.

Quote:

Assumption: a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof

Guess: estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct

Ah, you're assuming your guess is true, which is why you made it.

An assumption is only accepted to be true if others than yourself agree that it is so, which we are not.

Quote:

I did not say I knew for certain what Euro sales are going to be, I estimated what I thought without sufficient information but I am not sure it is correct.

Then why even bother?

Quote:

While it’s dangerous to place too much stock in an unnamed source, the news joins a large body of existing criticism and reticence of the UK iPhone and points to a device that is suffering disappointing sales.

Is this your statement? If so, it agrees with what we've been saying all along. If not, what was its purpose for inclusion?

Quote:

Of course its only good business to try and make the situation sound a good as possible. But this is entirely different from Enron or MCI Worldcom.

Teno, it was being used as an example of why someone in that position isn't necessarily to be believed. I'm not saying that it rises to the same level of deception. Just was a counterweight to your assertion that the CEO of O2 gave those numbers, so therefore they must be correct.

Quote:

But we don't know if CEO Key is jooking the stats or not. As Gartner said he may be underestimating as well.

We know nothing about what he was saying, which was the point I was making. Move on.

Quote:

Its obvious he says stuff like that to deflect attention and add to the theatrics of his product launches. Which is mostly harmless manipulation of the media. And is very different from saying we are going to sell 200,000 this quarter and sell far less than that. That can get your stock killed.

He also does it to confuse his competitors, which is actually the main reason. But he confuses his customers too, as well as the stockholders, and other investors.
  • Reply 154 of 176
    Quote:

Speaking just for myself, I want the sales to be very poor in Europe. I want them to be excruciatingly poor.

IMHO the iPhone is priced way too highly and lacking in functionality that we take for granted, especially in a high end phone. As has been pointed out many times in these discussions by you capitalist pig-dog Americans, if what I believe is true, "the market" will say so. I can't think of a better way to send a message to Apple that they got it wrong in Europe, now do something about it Apple.

It's Tough Love.

ps. sorry about your shares Mel.
  • Reply 155 of 176
    Quote:

Speaking just for myself, I want the sales to be very poor in Europe. I want them to be excruciatingly poor.

IMHO the iPhone is priced way too highly and lacking in functionality that we take for granted, especially in a high end phone. As has been pointed out many times in these discussions by you capitalist pig-dog Americans, if what I believe is true, "the market" will say so. I can't think of a better way to send a message to Apple that they got it wrong in Europe, now do something about it Apple.

It's Tough Love.

ps. sorry about your shares Mel.

Er, you guys are pretty capitalist over there as well, it's one reason why you haven't gone over to the Euro yet, or want to follow too many EU rules.

So far, I can't complain about my shares.

A lot depends on what happens at Macworld.

I can't say that the phone is priced too highly though. that depends on how much it costs to build, which seems to be about half the price, which is about right.
  • Reply 156 of 176
    Quote:

Then why even bother?

Didn't you just read the definition of a guess? Its when you make an estimate without sufficient information but you are not completely certain of your estimate because you made it without sufficient information.

Quote:

Is this your statement? If so, it agrees with what we've been saying all along. If not, what was its purpose for inclusion?

That's a quote from the blog that said this information was based on a unnamed source. You said you read something different. I was showing you what it said.

Quote:

Just was a counterweight to your assertion that the CEO of O2 gave those numbers, so therefore they must be correct.

An extreme counterweight to say the least. I doubt he would make that forecast if he really didn't believe they could be achieved.

Quote:

He also does it to confuse his competitors, which is actually the main reason. But he confuses his customers too, as well as the stockholders, and other investors.

Well they've sold over 20 million of them each of the past two Christmas quarters. So the customers, stockholders, and investors should be happy.
  • Reply 157 of 176
    Quote:

Didn't you just read the definition of a guess? Its when you make an estimate without sufficient information but you are not completely certain of your estimate because you made it without sufficient information.

I'm pretty well versed in the English language. I know what both an assumption, and a guess is. I also know that they can be interchanged. Don't use the Wiki for a definition, it stinks.

Remember the admonition:

When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

There's a reason why that admonition has been round for so long. Your teachers also no doubt would say "Never assume."

An assumption is no better than a guess.

When someone says "I assume you mean...", what they are saying is "I'm guessing you mean...".

More often than not, the other person will reply "No, I don't mean that."

When you "guessed" that sales would be one million, you "assumed" that your guess would be correct.

That's what it means.

Quote:

That's a quote from the blog that said this information was based on a unnamed source. You said you read something different. I was showing you what it said.

Fine. I had read others that seem to agree with Those numbers.

Quote:

An extreme counterweight to say the least. I doubt he would make that forecast if he really didn't believe they could be achieved.

And that's good. It shows what extremes CEO's will go to. It shows that a lessor statement that is possibly inaccurate is even more likely.

Quote:

Well they've sold over 20 million of them each of the past two Christmas quarters. So the customers, stockholders, and investors should be happy.

Well, yeah, we're ASSUMING that sales will be over 20 million this quarter.
  • Reply 158 of 176
    Quote:

Er, you guys are pretty capitalist over there as well, it's one reason why you haven't gone over to the Euro yet, or want to follow too many EU rules.

I know. That was said tongue-in-cheek somewhat. Personally I find it hard to believe that Apple is in any way entirely market driven. Jobs is a salesman but he's also a bit of an old hippy and a design nut too and Apple's products whilst having to be profitable are rarely just there for market reasons.

Quote:

I can't say that the phone is priced too highly though. that depends on how much it costs to build, which seems to be about half the price, which is about right.

US pricing seems to be about right but not Europe. Apple needs a kick up the arse and we're wearing the boots.
  • Reply 159 of 176
    Quote:

I know. That was said tongue-in-cheek somewhat. Personally I find it hard to believe that Apple is in any way entirely market driven. Jobs is a salesman but he's also a bit of an old hippy and a design nut too and Apple's products whilst having to be profitable are rarely just there for market reasons.

That's true. He produces what he wants almost as much as what he thinks the public is ready for.

Quote:

US pricing seems to be about right but not Europe. Apple needs a kick up the arse and we're wearing the boots.

I was thinking in terms of the US pricing. I forgot that the price in Europe seem to be much higher, though I'm not sure why. It's 399 in Euro's, or Pounds?
  • Reply 160 of 176
    Quote:

Wait a minute....

ROFLMAO! You do have to wonder... like Steve, the spin is fast and hard.

A history of spin is also why I don't take Steve at his word regarding battery life being the reason for no 3G yet, especially since Samsung has already 'done it' (i.e. released a 3G smartphone with good batt life).

I think its just cheaper for Apple to wait until the Asian launch to do it, Stevie's obsessed 'bout them there margins a'gin...