Prediction posts

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For the sake of fun, post your prediction lists to see how accurate you were after the Keynote.

Hardware (Most to least likely)

Macbook mini - ultra mobile laptop, without optical drive, nand flash based storage, led backlit etc. i'm going to say either a 12 or 13" screen is possible. some sort of additional "wow" feature, wether this includes some gestural recognition or not, i think there is something else than just a lightweight laptop behind the curtain. I'm going to idealistically say this is the iMac styled docking station mentioned on AI just recently.

Macbook Pro - new models, new enclosure, faster processors, better graphics cards... it would make sense for Apple to include Blu-ray in a mobile form simultaneous to a Mac Pro update.

Mac Pro update - Blu-ray and perhaps new graphics cards... not a system overhaul but more current hardware offerings for such an expensive tower

Apple Cinema Display - probably newer LCD panels, higher quality. I doubt to see a huge refresh using any new display technology... just need to keep them comparable with what other manufacturers are offering. Hate to say it but Apple displays have never been very impressive.

iPhone - 16GB capacity, perhaps better camera capable of video recording.

AppleTV - needs 1080i out at least, perhaps ties in with an announcement for HD rentals from the iTunes store

Mac mini - dead or updated... really tough call, but if they kill it off, I'm going to buy one immediately.

Software (Most to least likely)

iPhone SDK - I think there will be alot of talk about this, and introducing what some higher level third party developers have already been working on

Leopard - Carrying on about how awesome it is, and how great it works with .Mac and iLife

...hard to see what else could be talked about in regards to software, pretty much all of Apple's software is new and fresh, I think an Aperture update would be appreciated by many.... I'm thinking a hardware heavy Keynote address.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    New ultra slim Macbook, with unified aluminum design as well as a modest enclosure remake, including new keyboard to match the current iMac's keyboard.

16GB iPhone update (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE)

Mac Pro Update with 3.2GHz Octo's, probably a case redesign - likely smaller. Hopefully cheaper Ram. 5600s and 8800s as the top GFX card options (maybe an ATI too).

New Cinema Displays - 50% thinner, cheaper (hopefully), eyesights built in.

And sometime soon, maybe at MWSF:

iPhone update 1.2 - implementing a few new features.

Leopard update 10.5.2 - tons of bug fixes, new stacks option(s). Maybe some surprises too.
  • Reply 2 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

New ultra slim Macbook, with unified aluminum design as well as a modest enclosure remake, including new keyboard to match the current iMac's keyboard.

16GB iPhone update (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE)

Mac Pro Update with 3.2GHz Octo's, probably a case redesign - likely smaller. Hopefully cheaper Ram. 5600s and 8800s as the top GFX card options (maybe an ATI too).

New Cinema Displays - 50% thinner, cheaper (hopefully), eyesights built in.

And sometime soon, maybe at MWSF:

iPhone update 1.2 - implementing a few new features.

Leopard update 10.5.2 - tons of bug fixes, new stacks option(s). Maybe some surprises too.

Looks pretty accurate to me. Not sure about 16GB iPhone, but yea, it's a possibility.
  • Reply 3 of 153
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Mine are here

To summarise:
    • Ultra-thin notebook with a 13.3" screen using Solid State rive (SSD) technology in 32GB and 64GB versions (MacBook Nano)

• Mac Nano - borrows the MacBook Nano hardware Excluding the screen and keyboard/trackpad) and integrates it into a revised take on the Mac Mini form factor.

• New Mighty Mouse to match latest Mac designs

• Apple Cinema displays bumped to 1080p minimum with integrated iSights

• Updated Magsafe for all MacBook models

• Mac and MacBook Pros will get the new Intel processors and the Mac Pro will receive a facelift to bring it in line with the other Macs and a Blu-Ray drive

• iTunes '08 - Movie rentals, movie store in international iTunes Stores (E.g., UK) and TV Store in more countries. OS X Mobile apps for sale (iPhone/iPod Touch SDK stuff) Integrates Front Row 2 across Mac and Windows

• Reply 4 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    • New SSD "Mac MiniBook".

• New 13", 15" & 17" MacBook designs - all aluminum, mag-latch + flat white keyboards.

• 16GB iPhone (90% probability).

• iPhone SDK announced (copy & paste software update announced)

• New Cinema displays.

• I'd be shocked to see Mac touch announced this early, but stranger things have happened. If I was a betting man though I'd say either sometime in 2008, or Macworld '09. Oh, and in case you didn't know, Mac touch is a 10 or 11" multi-touch Mac tablet. Mac touch FTW!!

• Almost forgot about Apple TV, who knows. Perhaps there'll be no mention and then a special event for that in February or March.

• Reply 5 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    MacPro new design, new Penryn chips

ACD's new design, maybe a larger than 30" display iSight BTO

AppleTV 2.0 with iTunes movie rentals.

iPhone 16gig
  • Reply 6 of 153
    Mac Pro- new processors, new graphics cards. Under the hood updates, but no design changes. All models will be eight-core (dual-quad-core). Same prices.

Cinema Displays- redesigned with black trim and integrated webcams. Same sizes and prices. Camera is not optional- if you don't want it, tape over it.

Macbook and Macbook Pro- redesigned with aluminum cases and black trim, new style keyboards, all thinner and lighter. A consistent design theme for all notebook models as well as the iMac and Cinema Displays.

Mac mini- ignored again.

AppleTV- hardware updated (to Intel's Silverthorne platform). Faster processor allows 1080p output, "high-definition" (highly compressed high definition, that is) movie rentals through iTunes.

Blu-Ray- now a BTO option on most, if not all, Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 153
    if you give each announcement 15 minutes and toss out the first of the 7 segments for a report on how well things are going for Apple you have 6 possible announcements. Limiting to 6 is painful, but I believe Steve J will want to maximize the revenues so I'd go with:

1. Performance review.

2. iPhone/touch upgrades & SDK (Leopard update if tied to new features in the iPhone.)

3. Movie rentals, with Apple TV thrown a bone

4. Consumer Macs updated, based on what Intel has ready

5. Software? Maybe a push for Bento or an app that enhances iPhoto.

6. Cinema displays possible, but there is a lot of potential hardware to be announced that may push the displays back.

7. One more thing - the ultra lite MacBook Pro
  • Reply 8 of 153
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Not all hardware will be mentioned, even if it gets upgraded in the last 2 weeks of January.

- MacBook Ultralight : 13.3", no optical drive, 64 GB

- MS Office for Mac demo

- Game demos from MacSoft

- iTunes Store Movie Rentals: demo

- Update on plans for new Retail Stores

- Update on Holiday season: store traffic, sales, etc.

- description and release date for iPhone SDK, demo

- demo of iPhone 1.1.3 firmware

- summary of Leopard sales, installed base of OS X

- if laptops or Mac Pro gets major change, it will be mentioned. If only a speed bump, it won't

- John Mayer
  • Reply 9 of 153
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

32 GB iPhone. Before you argue ask why not. Second that much storage makes a lot of sense once disk mode is delivered and other media becomes more common.

Which by the way means also a major update to the iPhone distribution. That is an OS and applications update. Hopefully with the OS addressing issues with low level systems like Bluetooth.

Mac Mini replacement, possibly in name only. It may in fact be a very different machine.

A larger iPod Touch. Its primary focus will be better video capability. More so it will be more open with additional I/O. This device might incorporate more than 64GB of flash.

Itunes movies with support for the above device.

iPod NEWTON, possibly the same device as #4. It will support all of iPods multimedia capabilities but will be enhanced to allow the delivery of personal productivity apps. Hopefully by simply permitting the installation of third party apps. The biggest difference on this device though is enhancements for communications. Though bigger than a cell phone I expect full 3G capability either built in or via an expansion card. The expansion slot there to cover all bets with respect to where the future goes with so called 4G technology. Communications is what would make this device a Newton as opposed to a more main stream iPod.

Probably some stupid clam shell ultra mobile computer that won't sell worth a damn.

A tablet computer possibly instead of the iPod Newton. It will be a platform for delivery of Mac OS/X i86 apps. It will be loudly dismissed on the forums but sell like hot cakes.

An iPod Touch upgraded to handle FM. One of those things where Apple finally puls its head out of its ass and responds to the consumer.

Like wise; the iPod Newton, via its expansion slot, can handle FM and digital TV. Yep. I see this as a little bit of extra that Apple can really leverage in sales. Just like cup holders in automobiles only this will actually be useful. I hope people are seeing why I'd like to see an expansion port in any new tablet Apple comes out with. Lots of flexibility can be added to morph the machine into something perfect for the owner.

New displays.

A Laser based iPod that acts as a projection video system for your pocket. Hot Hot Hot.

Apple buys Nikon and starts to rebrand their camera line up. They quickly leverage the features Mac OS Mobile offers up to greatly enhance the user interface of the cameras. Apple/Nikon then crushes Cannon and Sony and takes like 88% of the market. All do to a logical camera interface.

Well a bakers dozen of very good ideas.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

32 GB iPhone. Before you argue ask why not. Second that much storage makes a lot of sense once disk mode is delivered and other media becomes more common.

What happens to the 32GB iPod Touch? 32 is too much for now. If anything, 16.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple buys Nikon and starts to rebrand their camera line up. They quickly leverage the features Mac OS Mobile offers up to greatly enhance the user interface of the cameras. Apple/Nikon then crushes Cannon and Sony and takes like 88% of the market. All do to a logical camera interface.

Dave

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT WANT APPLE MAKING MY DIGITAL SLR.

Nikon and Canon have good things going now. Don't ruin it.
  • Reply 11 of 153
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    No predictions about Apple changing its website, giving some sort of clue, prior to MWSF?
  • Reply 12 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

No predictions about Apple changing its website, giving some sort of clue, prior to MWSF?

They have been seriously slacking. We've been looking at Leopard for months. Come on now. We didn't even get a sleek, new 'your nipples will go hard for this Apple new year. we can't wait either.' graphic. Disappointing on their website, they really have been.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Wow, you folks are expecting way, way too many announcements.

My predictions:

1. iTunes movie rentals.

2. New laptop of some kind.

3. There is no 3.
  • Reply 14 of 153
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    From the month that I've been here, and been observing...

iPhone:

A little update will be here, such as 16 GB versions. I somehow think it'll be 20 GB for some odd reason, but there we go. The point is, there will likely be a slight update. Maybe a few little bits here and there updated too.

iPod:

Again, another minor update. We might be introduced the next generation, but if it is, we will not know not much about it, and will not be getting it for a while.

Apple TV:

Either killed, or will be told a few updates. 1080i perhaps, etc. iTunes might also get a little update while they're at it. Movie Rental, anyone? Apple will probably try to keep Apple TV quiet though.

Mac Mini:

Very hard to tell, as many have said. It could be killed, it could be ignored. I don't see a Mac Mini Macbook, as the Macbook is pretty much that already when you put in the lowest specs.

MacBook (Pro):

Design update will look like the iMacs. Specs could be updated too, though I don't think it will be anything too amazing. Maybe an nVidia 8800, but I won't hold my breath.

iMac:

I REALLY hope they present a GPU update here. The ATi 2600 is really starting to show its age. For the highest end card in it, it's a joke.

Mac Pro:

Again, GPU update is in dieing need, and is bound to show itself. nVidia 8800 is my bet, if not the 8600 with SLi options.

Cinema Displays:

iSight update is likely, maybe a new large version for premium costs (unlikely though), and hopefully a price drop.

Blu-Ray:

It's very likely Apple will add a Blu-Ray Disk Reader soon, maybe a Blu-Ray reader. HD-DVD is much more unlikely, but we might see the choice. I have a bad feeling it'll only be avaliable for Mac Pro consumers for now, and a choice for iMac later.

Software wise, we will likely be told what this Final Cut secret is *coughBluRaycough*. Maybe a few Logic Studio 2 details? Aperture? Unlikely though. Leopard might get a spotlight. In the end, all Apple will likely do is gloat about "How awesome" their software and sales are, even if it's true.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just a reminder: Steve doesn't do minor bumps of existing products at his keyntoes. If those kinds of speed bumps and other minor changes are ready, they'll either be done a week before or a week after the keynote in a press release.
  • Reply 16 of 153
    New Mac Pro.

New Laptops.

Mac Mini Replacement.

Apple TV & iTunes update.

That's it. NO iPhone/iPod, except the obligatory "Look how we raped the industry" figures.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Lets see:
    • SDK announcement for the iphone/ipod touch with some restrictions.

• Announcement that Apple wants to start a music label with JAY-Z and scare the beegeezus out of entire music industry

• Super ultra thin macbook incorporating Intel's Z-P140 SSD chip and silverthorne plus multitouch

• Updated cinema displays with one possibly using resolutions BEYOND 2560x1600

• Other cool new (or updated) hardware and software (as usual)

• And last but not least.......(drum roll please)...............

..............MACTOUCH FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 153
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

What happens to the 32GB iPod Touch? 32 is too much for now. If anything, 16.

IPod Touch can easily go to 32 or 64 GB. But frankly it doesn't matter we are talking about two different devices here. There is no way that people who need a cell phone will buy a Touch instead if the iPhone meets their need. I'm not sure why this is even raised anymore, we have two different products here.

Quote:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT WANT APPLE MAKING MY DIGITAL SLR.

Ahh another Nikon owner, seems we have a common interest. The problem with Nikon is not their optics, which as we know can be very good indeed, it is the user interface and feature sets that need work. I honestly believe that Apple could do a lot of goor when it comes to cameras especially Nikons lower end cameras.

Quote:

Nikon and Canon have good things going now. Don't ruin it.

I beg to differ. Nikon has a few really good SLR's but the rest of their line is pretty much an embarrassment as far as features & innovation goes. The thought was raised to refresh the range of products that Nikon can offer up. This isn't an attempt to ruin things but rather to improve things.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 153
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    The February issue of MacWorld Magazine has a section called Fortune Tellers- MacWorlds's eight annual look at the year ahead. Dan Frakes, senior editor, foretells:

1. The Mac subnotebook: no internal optical drive; SSD, LED screen, and a low-power processor.

2. A midrange, screenless Mac (something in between the Mac mini and Mac Pro.)

3. A few major U.S. companies will switch to Mac platform and a resurgence of the Mac platform in higher education. [aside: Miami Dade College where I work is looking to switch to Mac's in some departments]

There are other prognostications in the article if you'd care to look - page 34.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I sticking with my prediction from last year which is 'a lot of whining and gnashing of teeth'.

Some people play the same numbers in the lottery, I just keep the same MW prediction.