Prediction posts

Comments

• Reply 61 of 153
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

but they did give an incremental update on November 1st 2007.

Yeah, a .2 GHZ BTO improvement. Not that much.
  • Reply 62 of 153
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

but they did give an incremental update on November 1st 2007.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Yeah, a .2 GHZ BTO improvement. Not that much.

Yeah not really what I consider even an incremental update.

I expect new MacBook Pros being announced even if it is just an upgrade to Penryn.
  • Reply 63 of 153
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

I expect new MacBook Pros being announced even if it is just an upgrade to Penryn.

That's what evreyone else expects too, since Moble Penryn is out...
  • Reply 64 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Okay, A bit of a long shot but...

Remeber when there was a bunch of talk that Apple was going to buy TIVO? Well Maybe, Just maybe... I just thought I should put that out there... You never know steve.

Why would you need to record "any" TV, when you can simply download the program of your choice from iTunes? That's where we are headed, eventually. Thus leapfrogging TiVO. iTunes TV show subscription would be kick-ass. Imagine paying an amount every month, getting the ability to download a certain amount of TV shows, series and Movies all from the comfort of your couch.

Apple could offer two or three packages.

If you watch a little TV you pick the "light" package, normal amount you pick "regular" and lots you pick "pro". And you never have to set your DVR ever again.
  • Reply 65 of 153
    onlooker-

I doubt that the "big" news will be a new Mac Pro. I'd guess they'll save that and possibly new displays for NAB. Macworld has usually spotlighted the whiz-bang consumer-oriented big-hype stuff. You may be right though, I wouldn't put it past Steve & Jonathon to reinvent the high-end desktop. Plus, the rumors about greater Red Camera integration for FCP on the 16th could require some major horsepower. I'm really not expecting too much this time around, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 66 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

No, no, no. For the last time, NO. There have to be lasers.

and SHARKS
  • Reply 67 of 153
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

onlooker-

I doubt that the "big" news will be a new Mac Pro. I'd guess they'll save that and possibly new displays for NAB. Macworld has usually spotlighted the whiz-bang consumer-oriented big-hype stuff. You may be right though, I wouldn't put it past Steve & Jonathon to reinvent the high-end desktop. Plus, the rumors about greater Red Camera integration for FCP on the 16th could require some major horsepower. I'm really not expecting too much this time around, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I disagree. The Mac Pro, and cinema displays, are almost two years old. No other product is anywhere near that old. Not within an entire years time. They will not hold off any longer.
  • Reply 68 of 153
    Well, we have all heard about the possibility of iTunes movie rentals. I, for one, will be among the first to try this.

What about iTunes TV show rentals for $.50 (for 1 day of viewing) ?? We already DVR all of our shows as it is - this would make it more convenient. Imagine network television being able to change it's income model from an advertiser-based to consumer-based model ?? Let's remember that it's the networks that provide most of the content. I don't see this changing soon - but it could. Small companies could sprout up and survive on just one show - without all of the overhead of the large networks.

That leaves the big question - how are companies going to advertise their products ?? Besides the normal billboards, flyers, internet, etc - they are going to want a way to force us to see their pitch. Maybe they'll realize we aren't watching the commercials now and just decide to save their advertising dollars.

I have mentioned before that Apple should buy Netflix. I know that Netflix has teamed with someone else now - but it could still happen.

Imagine this - Apple playing a big part of both content AND distribution - just like the network channels - but much more progressive. Mark my words - over the next 5-10 years, things are going to be drastically different than they are now.

Phil
  • Reply 69 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pomo View Post

New Cinema Displays will have multi-touch technology. New macbook and macbook pros will have multitouch. And, pa-para-pa! Al Imacs already have multitouch tech embeded on the glass !

One could only dream. \

Why are people so exited about this? It's a usability nightmare. If it's not hand-held, a mouse is the most ergonomic control solution. Even Microsoft's touch table requires one to crane their neck and is only designed for short periods of usage. Touch screens are great for phones and kiosks and other devices that are used for short periods of time but not so good for long term usage personal computers.
  • Reply 70 of 153
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Why are people so exited about this? It's a usability nightmare. If it's not hand-held, a mouse is the most ergonomic control solution. Even Microsoft's touch table requires one to crane their neck and is only designed for short periods of usage. Touch screens are great for phones and kiosks and other devices that are used for short periods of time but not so good for long term usage personal computers.

exactly.

...and the OS and all of the Apps made right now couldn't take advantage of multitouch technology anyways.
  • Reply 71 of 153
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

exactly.

...and the OS and all of the Apps made right now couldn't take advantage of multitouch technology anyways.

Then you've never used a fingerworks multitouch pad. You can IMMEDIATELY make use of such a pad if they were to release one for the mac. It is EXTREMELY superior to regular touchpads or other types of mice. With my RSI I can't use anything else really for my pc use. And didn't fingerworks have a driver for mac anyways?

We all know that its basically fingerworks tech we're talking about. The tech can easily be useful for todays apps. I should know because I'm using a fingerworks pad myself and many users plus myself were extremely angry when we heard fingerworks was mysteriously bought out by "some company".

I CAN NOT use anything else now for the pc and I know Jobs won't release pc peripherals.

I will either have to pay upwards of $500.00 or more on ebay for a used fingerworks pad (their worth their weight in gold now) or switch to mac if my original fingerworks touchpad ever dies. \
  • Reply 72 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    My ISP has a 500MB/day limit and then it gets crawling slow, so this would be really impractical for me as an HD movie would probably be at least 1 GB.
  • Reply 73 of 153
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Then you've never used a fingerworks multitouch pad. You can IMMEDIATELY make use of such a pad if they were to release one for the mac. It is EXTREMELY superior to regular touchpads or other types of mice. With my RSI I can't use anything else really for my pc use. And didn't fingerworks have a driver for mac anyways?

We all know that its basically fingerworks tech we're talking about. The tech can easily be useful for todays apps. I should know because I'm using a fingerworks pad myself and many users plus myself were extremely angry when we heard fingerworks was mysteriously bought out by "some company".

I CAN NOT use anything else now for the pc and I know Jobs won't release pc peripherals.

I will either have to pay upwards of $500.00 or more on ebay for a used fingerworks pad (their worth their weight in gold now) or switch to mac if my original fingerworks touchpad ever dies. \

I've actually used one of these, and am aware of what it does. It essentially replicates keyboard shortcuts through gestural recognition. However this is more software than hardware. You are not directly inputing multiple points of interaction into the OS or any other Apps (for example the most basic example of pinch pull on the iPhone). Also it is fairly impossible to accurately manipulate onscreen information due to the physical disconnect from the touch sensitive area and the screen being in different spots. When I think multi-touch I think of the stuff Jeff Han is working on with Perceptive Pixel... not an elevated form of gesture recognition. Memorizing a whole new language of gestures doesn't have any appeal to me whatsoever.
  • Reply 74 of 153
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    all i want is a 16gig model of the iPhone. just one thing steve!!

what do i think will happen? (in addition to the iPhone of course)

- Penryn in Macbook Pro

- Mac Pro update

- Cinema Displays (with TV functionality??)

- iTunes Movie Rentals

- iPhone SDK announcement / demo (available february)

sounds logical, no?
  • Reply 75 of 153
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

I've actually used one of these, and am aware of what it does. It essentially replicates keyboard shortcuts through gestural recognition. However this is more software than hardware. You are not directly inputing multiple points of interaction into the OS or any other Apps (for example the most basic example of pinch pull on the iPhone). Also it is fairly impossible to accurately manipulate onscreen information due to the physical disconnect from the touch sensitive area and the screen being in different spots. When I think multi-touch I think of the stuff Jeff Han is working on with Perceptive Pixel... not an elevated form of gesture recognition. Memorizing a whole new language of gestures doesn't have any appeal to me whatsoever.

I'm not down with that either, but I don't think Apple is going to just re-release the fingerworks technology. I think it will be as different as when they got the original GUI from PARC, and then you saw a real GUI from Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

all i want is a 16gig model of the iPhone. just one thing steve!!

what do i think will happen? (in addition to the iPhone of course)

- Penryn in Macbook Pro

- Mac Pro update

- Cinema Displays (with TV functionality??)

- iTunes Movie Rentals

- iPhone SDK announcement / demo (available february)

sounds logical, no?

Not so bad,

I would only discard MacBook Pro. I would expect it around April at NAB.
  • Reply 77 of 153
    Just for fun then - no flaming if I'm way off please!!

Mac Pro Case redesign

New Monitors with camera, slim with styling a la iMac

All Mac's to gain a HDMI port.

32GB iPod Touch, phasing out of 8gb

16gb 3G iPhone + SDK details

Spec update of Mac Mini to differentiate more from AppleTV, plus coloured versions along the lines of the iPod Shuffles. (Sony are doing a mini-sized VAIO HTPC which has some pretty good specs)

Leopard update.

Blu-Ray as an option across the entire Mac range, announced as Mr Jobs gives Mr Gates the finger... although I suspect any HD announcements may be held back until the whole Warner Brothers thing has settled.

Apple to announce a deal with Sony regarding streaming content from Mac's to PS3, possibility of PS3 running iTunes - you can already access iTunes store from PS3 so why not be able to purchase from it. Overall I think there will be a focus on interactivity with other devices - I think many people in the Windows world see Apple products as keeping themselves to themselves.
  • Reply 78 of 153
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Let me be the first on Tuesday morning to predict that there will be NO Mac Pro updates next week.
  • Reply 79 of 153
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Let me be the first on Tuesday morning to predict that there will be NO Mac Pro updates next week.

You were dead right. The Mac Pro update is today - not next Tuesday.
  • Reply 80 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Time to start a rumors site, my friend. Just back-date all of your posts -