Prediction posts

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

The new "Air" product has nothing (directly) to do with any notebook announcements. Check out TacoJoe's thread... It's a wireless network drive...

I think you're wrong. I think it is the new MacBook. Associating it with "air" is just a clever way (and very Apple-like of late) of marketing its light weight to the mass consumer. However it could also be Apple's new AppleTV. It's not for a wireless network drive, cause that isn't sexy enough to be a main announcement - ergo the Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 142 of 153
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

The new "Air" product has nothing (directly) to do with any notebook announcements. Check out TacoJoe's thread... It's a wireless network drive...

He's since admitted he was faking
  • Reply 143 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hope the shuffle never gets a screen, I like it the way it is. We have a decent chance of a 16GB iPhone, but I don't see a 16GB nano anytime soon. I definitely see new Cinema Displays.

I do think there is a chance for an 16 GB 3G iPod nano, mostly because Apple needs such a product to compete against new, small media players from Sandisk (Sansa View) and Creative (ZEN) that are already available in 16 GB models. Even if it costs US$249, the 16 GB iPod nano would sell like ice cream in summer (I'd buy one myself!).

By the way, besides a new version of iTunes (Version 8.0) that will include movie rental download support and a completely revamped interface, I'd like to see Apple include a built-in Audible manager on the Windows version so it makes it easy to download Audible audiobooks.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Remember 2 things:

1) Most recent MWSF keynotes are about software, company progress, and iTunes Store, not about speed bumps to the hardware. You're thinking of the old days when all they had to talk about was another 100 mHz on the G4s and iMacs, and wow - Superdrives!!

2) Even if one of the iPods gets a memory bump, that isn't keynote material. It's a press release.

There will be plenty to take up the 90 minutes if movie rentals, iPhone SDK, retail stores, Christmas sales results, MS Office 2008, and the new notebook are discussed.

The new subnotebook could very well be the MacBook Air. Light and made for travel.... and the name does not imply less expensive.
  • Reply 145 of 153
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hate to spoil your fun but only clearwire and sprint own the wimax spectrum in the US.

And why is that a problem. When Apple wanted Edge they only signed up one provider. If Clearwire and Sprint got their act together they would make sure that customers could easily leverage the facilities of the others network with out the massive roaming fees and other disincentives that plaque cell technology.

Quote:

Not gonna happen.

Actually I see 3G as dead technology myself. So I see something happening as an alternative. Maybe WiMax is young, I know the expansion is slow around here but frankly it offers up many conveniences that simply don't exist in other technologies.

So clamor all you want about 3G but it is something that is already on life support and frankly I just don't see it competing well against the alternative.

Dave
  • Reply 146 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Remember 2 things:

1) Most recent MWSF keynotes are about software, company progress, and iTunes Store, not about speed bumps to the hardware. You're thinking of the old days when all they had to talk about was another 100 mHz on the G4s and iMacs, and wow - Superdrives!!

Wise words.
  • Reply 147 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

And why is that a problem. When Apple wanted Edge they only signed up one provider. If Clearwire and Sprint got their act together they would make sure that customers could easily leverage the facilities of the others network with out the massive roaming fees and other disincentives that plaque cell technology.

Actually I see 3G as dead technology myself. So I see something happening as an alternative. Maybe WiMax is young, I know the expansion is slow around here but frankly it offers up many conveniences that simply don't exist in other technologies.

So clamor all you want about 3G but it is something that is already on life support and frankly I just don't see it competing well against the alternative.

Dave

Hey you're preaching to the choir. I've been very positive about WiMax and for a time owned clearwire stock.

I would love for Apple to leapfrog over 3g and go straight to a 4g technology. WiMax is the going to be the 4g tech that will make it to market first. But with Apple tied to ATT and ATT showing little signs of adopting WiMax, I don't see it happening.

This 4g technology looks very promising as well. But its uncertain that ATT is going to adopt this or go with something different.
  • Reply 148 of 153
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hey you're preaching to the choir. I've been very positive about WiMax and for a time owned clearwire stock.

I would love for Apple to leapfrog over 3g and go straight to a 4g technology. WiMax is the going to be the 4g tech that will make it to market first. But with Apple tied to ATT and ATT showing little signs of adopting WiMax, I don't see it happening.

This 4g technology looks very promising as well. But its uncertain that ATT is going to adopt this or go with something different.

Then it's obviously ridiculous not to use 3G. Your talking about stuff that's not going to happen for a few years, and 3G is now. Well we need the increase in speed now. I think it's time for a 3G iPhone today!
  • Reply 149 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Then it's obviously ridiculous not to use 3G. Your talking about stuff that's not going to happen for a few years, and 3G is now. Well we need the increase in speed now. I think it's time for a 3G iPhone today!

You are probably right.

But you gotta admit, there is something very amusing about taking all that money from AT&T and O2 and the rest - and using it to build a cheaper, faster network.

It's sort of like what Apple did to the record companies. :-)

C.
  • Reply 150 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Yes, if Apple don't use WiMax then it will need to use existing 3g technology because the other 4g technologies are a few years off.

WiMax will be available this year. But unless ATT buy Sprint, I don't see them offering WiMax. But who knows.. the telco industry seems to be in flux at the moment. In part due to the changes Apple themselves have brought to the industry.
  • Reply 151 of 153
    Look for

1: The availability of BEATLES songs and Movie rentals from the iTunes Music Store. Possible purchase of Netflix.

2: new mac touch/ultra/sub notebook/iTablet

2: Merging of the mini and Apple TV into a media server with iPhone remote control feature

3: Update of iPhone software with possible VOICE DIALING. Less likely, but far more desirable, and a true KILLER APP for the iPhone would be DICTATION SOFTWARE, similar to iListen, that would let a user dictate an outgoing Email, that could later be retrieved on a home computer, then to be filed or printed.
  • Reply 152 of 153
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

apple mini, becomes apple tv home server ...

That's what I suggested elsewhere and someone pissed all over my parade. Content box that holds all your media. Wirelessly sends it to all other devices.

[Goes grumbling off into a corner now, complaining to himself that I was using Apple II's before most of you were born and started programming on a Wang punchcard system.]
  • Reply 153 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

[Goes grumbling off into a corner now, complaining to himself that I was using Apple II's before most of you were born and started programming on a Wang punchcard system.]

... (female voice screams: Dinner is waiting, honey)