Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So you expect Apple to give it to you free, what do you think they are, some charity case ?

If I am a new touch buyer I get it for free $299.

If I got the same machine yesterday I need to pay $20 + 299 for the same functionality. It costs Apple nothing to offer these apps for free. THe software is already done and they are offering it for free to theri new customers. That's where the smell is coming from.
  • Reply 62 of 173
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

If I am a new touch buyer I get it for free $299.

If I got the same machine yesterday I need to pay $20 + 299 for the same functionality. It costs Apple nothing to offer these apps for free. THe software is already done and they are offering it for free to theri new customers. That's where the smell is coming from.

Well too bad, if you bought it yesterday and these applications weren't on it what makes you think you should be able to get it for free a day later, forget the new ones getting them for free, you are not part of the new owners segment, you bought yours later and you get what you paid for, if you want to upgrade pay the 20 dollars.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Give me a feaken break! Why exactly should these applications be free? I get tired of people thinking they should be given crap for free. Apple, like any other company is out to make money, period. They're not here to provide good will to consumers. I would hope you buy ANY product based on its capabilities at that time and not what you HOPE it will do at some point in the future. You're an idiot if you make purchasing decisions in that manner.

Yes, it would be nice for Apple to give away these applications for free, that doesn't mean they should have to. It's not like iPhone users got anything for free either.

PLeeze STFU- You're probably one of those whiners on here who constantly complains and blames "greedy" corporate music labels and movie studios when the prices for rental , downloads, etc goes up on iTunes, or leave Itunes. Face it Apple is greedy in itself. There is a short built in shelf life for all the iPods you keep replacing year after year. You probably whined for that free $100 rebate for the iPhone and got po'd when it wasn't $200. The $20 upgrade is total BS.
  • Reply 64 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So you expect Apple to give it to you free, what do you think they are, some charity case ?

Laugh now- wait til Apple starts charging you for software updates on the OS. That could be next.
  • Reply 65 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

The apps were on the iPhone from the beginning.

YOUTUBE wasn't- Steve would charge you for that if he could.
  • Reply 66 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

To do this just after christmas, right after everyone has just bought one shows the contempt Apple has for its customers.

Life's a bitch. You could have bought an HD DVD player at xmas and the contempt from Warner Bros. switching to Blu-Ray is far worse.
  • Reply 67 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

$20 or £13 for software that should be free? Shove off Apple.

Blame Enron!
  • Reply 68 of 173
    Never mind the 20 bucks, it would be nice if the damn update worked period! Like some of you here I was a little pissed at the 20 dollar update but decided to go for it anyway. I down loaded version 1.1.3, then bought the January update package. My account was charged but no update. So now I have to go and deal with Apple to get my update or 20 back. Hell, I could get this kind of service from Microsoft.
  • Reply 69 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Blame Enron!

That's nonsense - why didn't AppleTV owners get charged for their updates? Those apps for the iTouch are hardly worthy of that price tag- come on! $2 is more like it.
  • Reply 70 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

PLeeze STFU- You're probably one of those whiners on here who constantly complains and blames "greedy" corporate music labels and movie studios when the prices for rental , downloads, etc goes up on iTunes, or leave Itunes. Face it Apple is greedy in itself. There is a short built in shelf life for all the iPods you keep replacing year after year. You probably whined for that free $100 rebate for the iPhone and got po'd when it wasn't $200. The $20 upgrade is total BS.

During the 2006 MacWorld Jobs announced that the new AppleTV and iPhone that were coming out would use a *new* 24-month accounting model. Doing that would allow Apple the LEGAL ability to update those products with more than just a minor software update.

Since the iPod Touch is neither of these devices they are obligated by law to charge for any major updates. As to how much [they are required to charge], I don't know, but the law was set in place to protect the companies investors. Why they didn't out this device into the same 24-month accounting model? I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't if they used the iPod moniker.

The AppleTV and the iPhone have both received major updates that far outweigh the complexity and effort to port those apps to the iPod Touch so it's more than Apple being greed. After all, they could have charged for these updates if they had wanted.
  • Reply 71 of 173
    BS Solipsism. They could've charged less.
  • Reply 72 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

And you desire for Apple to charge less make my post BS, how? I merely stated what was required by law; I made no argument for the price charged, in fact I mentioned I didn't know what the law requires in sense. I did post a link so anyone who wanted to could ingratiate themselves with the finer details.
  • Reply 73 of 173
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Yes, Apple's greedy, right? You should have the twenty dollars, not them, right? Because it's yours and not theirs, right?

When two parties are competing over who should get $20, what makes one of them greedy and not the other?
  • Reply 74 of 173
    Quote:

During the 2006 MacWorld Jobs announced that the new AppleTV and iPhone that were coming out would use a *new* 24-month accounting model. Doing that would allow Apple the LEGAL ability to update those products with more than just a minor software update.

Since the iPod Touch is neither of these devices they are obligated by law to charge for any major updates. As to how much [they are required to charge], I don't know, but the law was set in place to protect the companies investors. Why they didn't out this device into the same 24-month accounting model? I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't if they used the iPod moniker.

The AppleTV and the iPhone have both received major updates that far outweigh the complexity and effort to port those apps to the iPod Touch so it's more than Apple being greed. After all, they could have charged for these updates if they had wanted.

Since when does Steve Jobs teach Accounting at a keynote? I would like to see his exact quote from last year.

Firstly, No charge for AppleTV updates because the majority of buyers of ATVS were not happy with it and the upgrade also basically adds more money into Apple's iTunes pockets.

Secondly, iPhone is crucial to Apples continued success at this point and they could not afford another rebate fiasco on their hands.

Thirdly, those 4 iTouch apps @ $20 is frkn ridiculous! They are basically widgets that you can get for Leopard for free anywhere. The 5th app is again to buy more Apple itunes content.
  • Reply 75 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Since when does Steve Jobs teach Accounting at a keynote? I would like to see his exact quote from last year.

Firstly, No charge for AppleTV updates because the majority of buyers of ATVS were not happy with it and the upgrade also basically adds more money into Apple's iTunes pockets.

Secondly, iPhone is crucial to Apples continued success at this point and they could not afford another rebate fiasco on their hands.

Thirdly, those 4 iTouch apps @ $20 is frkn ridiculous! They are basically widgets that you can get for Leopard for free anywhere. The 5th app is again to buy more Apple itunes content.

Dude! This has nothing to with my feelings or yours toward Apple, or how you think the world should be run. I gave you more than a heads up, you can enlighten yourself to the rest of the facts from there.
  • Reply 76 of 173
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShoestringBayHouse View Post

I agree with you, just bought a new Touch a few weeks ago....and I have to pay another $20. Way to go Apple.

Call Apple at 408.996.1010 AND COMPLAIN

I did!

I've got a new complaint. Once you upgrade to iTunes 7.6, you can't even sync your iPod Touch without seeing an ad for the new software update (not a dialog-- a full page ad in the content area of iTunes) and either buying it or clicking "Remind Me Later".

There's no button for "Never Bug Me About It Again".
  • Reply 77 of 173
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Even worse! It bugs you about buying this software EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RUN iTUNES WITH THE TOUCH ATTACHED.
  • Reply 78 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That I know. :-) but this is the iPod touch. No mobile phone masts to triangulate from....

Mobile phone masts know where they are, surely routers only know where they are logically not geographically?????

I may have forgotten to mention that the scan included wireless hotspots. These can also be triangulated and thus, your position calculated.

The whole of north america has been covered as well as most major european cities. As a result if you live anywhere that is densily populated with good wifi coverage within the US or Europe, you should get a fairly accurate reading.
  • Reply 79 of 173
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Well I didn't buy an ipod touch yet so it looks like I win!
  • Reply 80 of 173
    Quote:

Dude! This has nothing to with my feelings or yours toward Apple, or how you think the world should be run. I gave you more than a heads up, you can enlighten yourself to the rest of the facts from there.

Sorry but that lame excuse sounds like you've made it up, dude.