MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Inventory of MacBook Pros has become severely constrained over the past three weeks, with some reseller now reflecting backorder status on the soon-to-be refreshed Apple professional notebooks.

Apple retail partner and online reseller Best Buy has recently run out of 15-inch models, and lists on its online store wait times of one to two weeks for availability.

Meanwhile, other large Apple resellers have managed to maintain availability of the Intel-based Core 2 Duo notebooks, but have informed AppleInsider that their flow of incoming and forward looking orders has decreased significantly over the past month, ahead of a product refresh.

"With each passing week, [MacBook Pros] are becoming harder and harder to come by," said one source, who spoke under the condition of anonymity. "Orders are still trickling in, but in quantities half those of December."

AppleInsider reported last month that Apple had delayed the planned MacBook Pro refresh by approximately four weeks in the months and weeks approaching Macworld Expo, but that the new models were still due to arrive shortly.

Among the enhancements expected as part of the impending release are processor upgrades to Intel's recently introduced 45-nanometer "Penryn" Core 2 Duo processors at speeds of up to 2.6GHz and the addition of multi-touch trackpads across the entire product line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    2.6GHz! Wowzers, I remember getting a 366MHz iBook.. How times have changed...

I always love a good refresh though, maybe I'll upgrade this time? Multitouch alone would be a nice upgrade.. SSD's would be nice too.

Meh.

Jimzip
  • Reply 2 of 167
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Although you can special order a 2.6 gig MBP now, it costs $250 more. The standard is 2.4 so with Penryn, the standard moves to 2.6 for the same price. Maybe a bit more efficiency for less heat and longer battery life? I wonder if the smaller package will be used for the CPU that's now used in the MBA? That was to be for the Montevina platform.

What I'd really like to see is a slightly thinner, lighter MBP with styling along the lines of the MBA.

Whatever happened to the idea of a special event on Jan 26? Will that still happen? Any chance the new MBPs are a significant enough upgrade to be rolled out then?

Latchless?

New keyboard?
  • Reply 3 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Although you can special order a 2.6 gig MBP now, it costs $250 more. The standard is 2.4 so with Penryn, the standard moves to 2.6 for the same price. Maybe a bit more efficiency for less heat and longer battery life? I wonder if the smaller package will be used for the CPU that's now used in the MBA? That was to be for the Montevina platform.

Oh yeah, that's true just checked the store. Wow I haven't been keeping up to date as much as I thought..

Still, an update like this will be nicely received.

Jimzip
  • Reply 4 of 167
    Finally... I've been waiting to buy for 3 months.... maybe they'll finally add the magnetic latch with this revision.
  • Reply 5 of 167
    ...buying an air and there were no MBP's out on display at all...
  • Reply 6 of 167
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.
  • Reply 7 of 167
    Smart money is on MBP on Tuesday methinks, with the SDK on the 26th.
  • Reply 8 of 167
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The MacBook Pro is the only computer in the line that does not have the new keyboard. It is also the only one in the line that has not been redesigned. It has the same case as the PowerBook.

I predict the new MacBook Pros will sport a new keyboard, possibly identical to the present Bluetooth keyboard, and a subtly new case that will have a family resemblance to the MacBook Air.

—Oh, yes, the magnetic latch and a new CPU, of course.

That's all straightforward extrapolation
  • Reply 9 of 167
    This is surprisingly good news for those of surviving at a Tuesday-to-Tuesday existence level.
  • Reply 10 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

This is surprisingly good news for those of surviving at a Tuesday-to-Tuesday existence level.

Which I have to say, as someone not waiting on a MBP, I find this very exciting! I mean, has there been a single Tuesday so far this year where Apple hasn't released ANYTHING! Like, the least climatic was the pink iPod nano!

As a guy really hoping for the tablet rumors to ring true, it kinda sucks cause I know that such a device will not be announced without an event. COMEON JOBS! DON'T MAKE ME BUY AN HP! I WILL CRY!
  • Reply 11 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The MacBook Pro is the only computer in the line that does not have the new keyboard. It is also the only one in the line that has not been redesigned. It has the same case as the PowerBook.

Could you elaborate?
  • Reply 12 of 167
    Another interesting tidbit ... Amazon has rebates on current MBP's that in order to qualify, a purchase must be made by Monday February 18.

Will we see new models on the 19th or at the event on the 26th?
  • Reply 13 of 167
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Could you elaborate?

I think he means as far as looks go, the MBP still very closely resembles the last line of powerbooks out there (PB G4). The only real difference is the I/O and the slightly less rounded corners on the MBP bezel and body.

Personally I love that design, it still looks as modern and impressive today as it did when I first bought one, but it would be nice to see an update in the form as well I suppose, possibly to tie it in some way to the direction of the air. No biggie really.

Correct me if I misunderstood you Panu!

Jimzip
  • Reply 14 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Another interesting tidbit ... Amazon has rebates on current MBP's that in order to qualify, a purchase must be made by Monday February 18.

Oh now this is just SCREAMING it. That's it, I am taking bets. :-P
  • Reply 15 of 167
    Getting closer!
  • Reply 16 of 167
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Usually, if a Mac gets a case redesign, it's introduced at a media event. The MBP has the same case design as the PowerBook that was introduced in January, 2003, so it's 5 years old. So, if the MBP gets updated on Tuesday, the 19th, it'll probably have the same appearance as the existing model but maybe with minor changes. If it doesn't come out until the 26th at a media event, there's more of a chance for a more significant change in appearance.
  • Reply 17 of 167

Yeah notice that "Want it delivered by Monday, February 18th?"

Great now I'm not going to be able to sleep till Tuesday to find out this fishy business
  • Reply 18 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

The standard is 2.4 [MBP] so with [Merom], the standard moves to 2.6 {Penryn] for the same price. Maybe a bit more efficiency for less heat and longer battery life? I wonder if the smaller package will be used for the CPU that's now used in the MBA? That was to be for the Montevina platform.

What I'd really like to see is a slightly thinner, lighter MBP with styling along the lines of the MBA.

Whatever happened to the idea of a special event on Jan 26? Will that still happen? Any chance the new MBPs are a significant enough upgrade to be rolled out then?

Latchless?

New keyboard?

I would like to see a magnetic version and the longer multitouch trackepad. I think you are dead on balls about the CPU upgrade if I recall the pricing correctly, but these will not use the 22x22mm FSS chip/chipset packaging. The tradeoff for using that smaller footprint is apparently "a higher core voltage to ensure proper power delivery to the chip," according to AnandTech. There just isn't a need for it when you consider the oversize of a 15 and 17" notebook.

The rumoured event is slated for Feburary 26th. I think it will be the SDK and other things that compliment the iPhone. And I'm hoping that Apple will announce a 3G iPhone due out in 6-8 weeks. Remember, it has to get through the FCC so it's going to be known from one source or another, so it might as well be from Jobs.

PS: If you haven't checked out their in-depth, twenty-three page review I suggest you do.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.

What!? Honda engines and transmissions are great. I am trying to get the the frm specs on the Ariel Atom's chassis and suspension so I can build my own with Honda Civic Type-R engine with Rotex supercharger. The Atom is virtually impossible to come by in the States with a Type-R engine. Sometimes it's better to be East of the pond.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Smart money is on MBP on Tuesday methinks, with the SDK on the 26th.

I would bet money that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

I predict the new MacBook Pros will sport a new keyboard, possibly identical to the present Bluetooth keyboard, and a subtly new case that will have a family resemblance to the MacBook Air.

I think a new keyboard could be in order, but they were redesigned when they moved to Intel. Everything was new from top to bottom, though there are many similarities to it and the PowerBook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Which I have to say, as someone not waiting on a MBP, I find this very exciting! I mean, has there been a single Tuesday so far this year where Apple hasn't released ANYTHING! Like, the least climatic was the pink iPod nano!

As a guy really hoping for the tablet rumors to ring true, it kinda sucks cause I know that such a device will not be announced without an event. COMEON JOBS! DON'T MAKE ME BUY AN HP! I WILL CRY!

Sorry, no tablet, especially when another highly portable niche device was just released from Apple.

2008 has already brought us: New Mac Pros, Time Capsule, AppleTV 2.0 w/ lowered prices, Movie rentals, Mac OS X 10.5.2, Mobile OS X 1.1.3, updates to most Apple-made apps, and larger capacity iPod Touch/iPhones. Did I leave something out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Perhaps they were told or deduced an answer based on supply information that we don't have, but I doubt it. Amazon seems to be getting it's advice from sites like Apple Insider. Last year they have iLife '07, iWork '07 and .Mac 5.0 webpages up weeks before the Keynote... these didn't come until several seasons later and were given the '08 epithet.
  • Reply 19 of 167
    Here's what the rebate says:

Please allow 8-10 weeks for processing

$150 Rebate

Promo ID: 08-102281

Valid Purchase Dates: 01/29/2008 to 02/18/2008

Last Submission Date: 03/18/2008

Rebate Rules and Conditions:

Limit 1 rebate per household.

To apply for your Amazon.com sponsored rebate online, you will need your Amazon Packing Slip. To apply for your rebate, simply go to www.rebateshq.com/amazon-rebates and complete the online rebate form. Here you will enter transaction information from your Amazon Packing Slip. After completing the online rebate form, you can return to

www.rebateshq.com/amazon-rebates in 24 hours to check your rebate status.
  • Reply 20 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

Image :: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...013/amazon.jpg

Yeah notice that "Want it delivered by Monday, February 18th?"

Great now I'm not going to be able to sleep till Tuesday to find out this fishy business

Welcome to AI, damien0013. Don't get impatient and get one before the refresh, even if it doesn't come on Tuesday.

PS: Would you mind using a link to your screenshot instead of that large image. Small images are fine, but those large ones are visually distracting and make it difficult for those of slower connections to load the page.