I have redesigned the Macbook Air

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Old stupid design:





Miraculous, amazing, new design [it's not complex, go figure]:





Point being they could have not used that stupid, stupid, stupid door and made a flat side wall to accommodate more ports, particularly an ethernet port. And the ports would also be able to be used by "all" peripherals. They could have done this side part is a sleek way, it could have actually looked good. Taper the whole side accept for the area around the ports, and make the transition between both shapes gradually contoured. Obviously this is a crude mockup, but then again the Air was designed by an amateur also - Ive's intern. Dongles, UBS hubs? As Jobs said about the stylus; "you have to get them, and put them away.. yuck!" I agree Steve, Yuck! Besides, the Air could then come with a 1 meter ethernet chord for very quick migration, no need for Firewire.



I can't wait to see you folks defend Apple here, I'm awaiting your predictable defense.



"That ethernet port is right by the power button, it wouldn't work..". Bla, bla, bla... it's a mockup. And it could be done!
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 122
    No. That's the type of thing dell would do, or maybe HP. Apple (steve) can not stand an inconsistant look. They don't want an area on the side of the computer that sticks out, or is in any way different from the other side. Case in point: the screws on the macbook that do nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post


    No. That's the type of thing dell would do, or maybe HP. Apple (steve) can not stand an inconsistant look. They don't want an area on the side of the computer that sticks out, or is in any way different from the other side. Case in point: the screws on the macbook that do nothing.



    Okay... and the giant gaping hole on the other side of the MacBook Air for the MagSafe adapter is what... an oversight in Apple design then?



    I think the example Ireland bought up of Steve at MWSF07 being so adamantly against an idea of a stylus on the iPhone is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that the need to carry around and possibly lose and replace a stylus is different from having to carry around USB adapters and hubs just to use the most basic of items like a USB flash drive.



    They could have built the MBA just as Ireland suggested, with the existing three ports on the side flush with the edge, contoured into the overall shape, and to maintain symmetry, do the same on the other side, add a standard MagSafe and (shock) two additional ports (a second USB, you know... when the first one is being occupied and maybe, just maybe, a Firewire port?)
  • Reply 3 of 122
    You would need more space for the actual Ethernet card/whatever, not just the port, I believe. And it looks a bit inconsistent. I believe, however, that Apple's decision in this matter was a bad one, and I hope it's not a planned way for future products. This is the second problem they have had with recessed ports, the first being with the iPhone. You have to wonder why a company like Apple, who is definitely recognized for their great works, would do something so obviously wrong and bad for the consumer. I mean, tehre should be a time when someone over there would realize, "You know, if people find this annoying to use, maybe we should change it". I guess, however, that you don't need logic when you're a multi-billion dollar corporation.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    The obvious stuff first: I got your idea, there are just a few drawbacks I would like to point out. The USB port is a bit too small in your mock-up, however, the ethernet port is larger in comparison, thus, I think such a small flap would not be sufficient. And I would rather drop the ethernet port than the display connector, getting rid of the micro DVI makes the MBA useless for presentation tasks. Actually, in my environment I haven?t been using ethernet for quite some time, many of my accessories (keyboard, mouse, phone) are connected via Bluetooth ? the iPod cable and external storage or digital cameras are the only devices left. WiFi is available at all places I frequently visit.



    I was hoping for a successor of my aging 12" PowerBook instead, although I am pretty impessed by the MBA, I am not going to buy it. I value it as a vision Apple had, a wireless, usable, light but durable laptop. As far as I remember, Apple was among the first companies that dropped the floppy drive, the rest is history.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    After using it for almost two weeks (heavy usage and travel) I like the MBA as it is.



    The hotels I stay at have wireless internet connections and I have wireless at home; don't need ethernet.



    I only use the USB port occasionally to back up stuff to my iPod (the cable connector fits fine) and sometimes to download photos and video from my great HD Canon video camera (which only has USB). Data can then be transferred at home using my iPod. A single USB is more than sufficient.



    Had two presentations this past week. No video out, no presentation, so the mini DVI port needs to stay.



    The door also helps maintain a smooth shape to the computer (the "gaping hole" for the power doesn't break this, either, and there are times when I am charging that I am not attached to pother devices).



    If I need more power or to connect to more devices (which are big and bulky and heavy and often ugly) at the same time, I won't really notice the weight and bulk of my MBP (or my wife's MB). When I am out on the road going light, I won't be carrying anything else anyway, so the MBA is great.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There is no video out?



    You do understand who buys this, right? Traveling business people and professionals. They give presentations. They need a video out to connect to the projector in the conference room.



    Plus, you have made no explanation of how the extra circuit board space for the ethernet chip and the extra USB controller are going to be found.



    Trading away the video out just to get one lousy USB port, when that can easily be done with a hub, makes no sense.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse View Post


    Okay... and the giant gaping hole on the other side of the MacBook Air for the MagSafe adapter is what... an oversight in Apple design then?



    I think the example Ireland bought up of Steve at MWSF07 being so adamantly against an idea of a stylus on the iPhone is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that the need to carry around and possibly lose and replace a stylus is different from having to carry around USB adapters and hubs just to use the most basic of items like a USB flash drive.



    They could have built the MBA just as Ireland suggested, with the existing three ports on the side flush with the edge, contoured into the overall shape, and to maintain symmetry, do the same on the other side, add a standard MagSafe and (shock) two additional ports (a second USB, you know... when the first one is being occupied and maybe, just maybe, a Firewire port?)



    Why the fluck would you want a stylus for an iphone? I'm pretty content with the Air's design. I own one. More changes are welcome in the future, but I don't even miss the 2nd USB port. Ethernet cable? Yesteryear.



    Im waiting for the day that you won't even need a single USB port, everything will be done over the air, making the MBA ring true to its name.



    You guys criticize everything too much. Why not just let it be and admire the products for what they are? Tell you what, I wanted a flying car when I was 12, but looking at it now, it is so impractical that it its a joke. Cool, yes. Practical, probably not.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Old stupid design:



    ...



    Point being they could have not used that stupid, stupid, stupid door and made a flat side wall to accommodate more ports



    Considering that, without doubt, a team at Apple sat around a table and discussed at length the merits of using a door vs. a normal side-plane, I'd say you're the stupid one. It's not just about looks, either. The bulky bits on HPs and Dells tend to get snagged when you're pulling them out of luggage or bags. This is, actually, tremendously irritating.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    HP send thanks, for their new laptop design.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    Why the fluck would you want a stylus for an iphone?



    Missing the point entirely. Steve-O made such a big fuss at MWSF07 about how ridiculous the stylus was - you need someplace to store it, you lose it, you have to buy extras, they're a hassle, etc... and yet he does the exact same thing with the MBA. The lone USB port is in such an awkward place that for a lot of practical applications, you need an adapter - so you need someplace to store it, you might have to get a hub if you use more than one at a time, they're a hassle, you might lose it and have to replace it.



    You can't wait for an all wireless world, well that's fine... let's let the technology catch up because we're not there yet.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse View Post


    Missing the point entirely. Steve-O made such a big fuss at MWSF07 about how ridiculous the stylus was - you need someplace to store it, you lose it, you have to buy extras, they're a hassle, etc... and yet he does the exact same thing with the MBA. The lone USB port is in such an awkward place that for a lot of practical applications, you need an adapter - so you need someplace to store it, you might have to get a hub if you use more than one at a time, they're a hassle, you might lose it and have to replace it.



    You can't wait for an all wireless world, well that's fine... let's let the technology catch up because we're not there yet.



    Well, I think the reasoning there is that most people won't travel without a laptop bag. Its would be dumb to carry around your $1700 investment around like a newspaper with no protectioning what-so-ever. I'm sure a tiny usb hub won't kill anyone, its smaller than the charger. Its kind of different with a phone, I used to lose my stylus with my Sony Clie all the time



    As for my comment, I really meant, who the fluck would want a stylus on a phone



    I think they have it though out.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post


    HP send thanks, for their new laptop design.



    That's not even funny. How dare you criticize Apple Ireland, Apple's always right. Yeah great design Apple, now I cannot plug in my 3G wireless antenna, and my Logitech mouse - how innovative.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Considering that, without doubt, a team at Apple sat around a table and discussed at length the merits of using a door vs. a normal side-plane, I'd say you're the stupid one.



    The only table they sat round was an imaginary one, and they were clearly stoned at the sitting.
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That's not even funny. How dare you criticize Apple Ireland, Apple's always right. Yeah great design Apple, now I cannot plug in my 3G wireless antenna, and my Logitech mouse - how innovative.



    sucks for you



    j/k
  • Reply 15 of 122
    sennensennen Posts: 1,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That's not even funny. How dare you criticize Apple Ireland, Apple's always right. Yeah great design Apple, now I cannot plug in my 3G wireless antenna, and my Logitech mouse - how innovative.



    so were you going to actually purchase a macbook air if not for this 'deficiency'?
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The only table they sat round was an imaginary one, and they were clearly stoned at the sitting.



    I'm glad we have you around, as you purportedly are an industry expert with heaps of experience in electronic product development, industrial design, and business acumen. In other words, it's one thing to propose a new design. It's another thing entirely to deride as "stupid" the work of people who know a great deal more about their work than you do. Yes, there are times where, for one of many reasons, an otherwise well-regarded firm brings out an ill-conceived product or feature, but Apple has the form-factor design process completely figured out. You might as well be sending letters to Lockheed Martin with suggestions on how to improve the landing gear on an F-35, based on your experience with plastic models.



    OK, that's an exaggeration, but if your design didn't suck (it does) we might not be so hard on you.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That's not even funny. How dare you criticize Apple Ireland, Apple's always right. Yeah great design Apple, now I cannot plug in my 3G wireless antenna, and my Logitech mouse - how innovative.



    Then don't get a MacBook Air. They sell more than one model of computer. Since you clearly aren't concerned with having a truly slick-looking laptop, as evidenced by your picture, just get a MacBook and spare us the whining.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    Why the fluck would you want a stylus for an iphone?



    It's actually possible to build a stylus that works with the iPhone, so this doesn't even relate to the MBA issue Ireland has. In support of the stylus, I was in Chicago last week, and in that kind of weather I'm not eager to take off my gloves. In fact, I ended up buying a warmer pair while I was there, because it was so damn cold.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    >I have redesigned...



    There are more to a "redesign" than just photoshopping extra ports onto an image.

    IRL each port has to have components on the inside, each adding weight and volume.

    Adding extra stuff to an MBA will just make it an updated MB (which, hopefully, is on its way).
  • Reply 19 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Old stupid design:





    Miraculous, amazing, new design [it's not complex, go figure]:





    Point being they could have not used that stupid, stupid, stupid door and made a flat side wall to accommodate more ports, particularly an ethernet port. And the ports would also be able to be used by "all" peripherals. They could have done this side part is a sleek way, it could have actually looked good. Taper the whole side accept for the area around the ports, and make the transition between both shapes gradually contoured. Obviously this is a crude mockup, but then again the Air was designed by an amateur also - Ive's intern. Dongles, UBS hubs? As Jobs said about the stylus; "you have to get them, and put them away.. yuck!" I agree Steve, Yuck! Besides, the Air could then come with a 1 meter ethernet chord for very quick migration, no need for Firewire.



    I can't wait to see you folks defend Apple here, I'm awaiting your predictable defense.



    "That ethernet port is right by the power button, it wouldn't work..". Bla, bla, bla... it's a mockup. And it could be done!



    I'd add the MicroDVI port to the mix and I do kinda like the door design. Otherwise you have the idea.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Then don't get a MacBook Air. They sell more than one model of computer. Since you clearly aren't concerned with having a truly slick-looking laptop, as evidenced by your picture, just get a MacBook and spare us the whining.



    Right, its always the users fault. Apple is always perfect. I now this isn't going to get through that skull of yours, but the lack of an ethernet port and just a single USB port are practical drawbacks. I know you think we should just sit around and marvel at the design all day, but for those of us who want to turn it on and us it for actual business type stuff it has some flaws that could have been easily corrected and still have it be the thinest and lightest notebook in the world.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    I use the MBA every day for creative work as well as business work and it is getting the job done very well. End of story.



    Nothing any human produces will be perfect, so the MBA is not perfect. However, it is a very good machine that suits a specific purpose. However, the MBA was fairly obviously not designed for some people and it seems to be those people who are griping about it because of some kind of pent up frustrations or insecurities.



    There are innovations in the MBA that will work their way into the MB and MBP lines in due time. If somebody is unhappy with the Air, they can voice that dissatisfaction by not buying the machine. Many people are buying the MBA (as attested by its high ranking on Apple site around the globe) and many of them are very happy with their purchases (like I am).



    Sure, I want something even smaller (a double-sized iPod Touch that has more functions and apps than the current Touch). However, the MBA is a fantastic little machine that can do great things.



    I said it a while back but will say it again: We won't hear much from the happy users because they are too busy getting stuff done, but we will hear plenty from those who don't like the machine who tend to have little better to do in life than whine. I also said it would be interesting to revisit the MBA two years from now to see what the users did with it; I am sure some big whigs are making major decisions on their MBAs right now, and some writer is already writing the next novel. I'm also sure that the complainers will still be complaining about something.
Sign In or Register to comment.