I have redesigned the Macbook Air

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    This is getting insane.

I am typing on my MBA right now in a hotel in paradise using a wireless system. My files created earlier today were sent wirelessly to my wife's computer for backup. On this trip, neither of us has used a single USB port, much less ethernet. In other words, I have not opened the door that is the object of so much hate; I do not have much need for those ports and am quite frankly very happy that they are tucked out of the way.

We have an Airport Express plugged into the wall... and thus I am free to move around our room and even down the hall to the café and still check the news.

I simply do not see what the fuss is all about. Let it end. The MBA gets high marks in my book. It truly is the first Apple "notebook" computer, and yes, I owned a MBP 12" a couple of years back. The few USB peripherals that I have (HD video camera, Canon EOS camera, Zoom audio recorder, iPod, Wacom tablet) all fit the USB on the trap door fine.

I believe the root of all the hostility towards the MBA is simply that people who actually really like it but find it does not suit their needs and thus cannot justify purchasing it choose to bash it so as to reaffirm their choice not to buy while also driving everyone else mad.

If you know what the MBA can and cannot do, it is an awesome machine; mine has replaced my MBP. So, bash it all you wish, but I know from personal, professional experience that it is an amazing device that has already made me lots of money.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    I like it. Very clever. You put more thought into this than Apple did.

Remember, you're being criticized here by the same people who would pay almost $3000 for a machine with one lousy USB port. So, let 'em whine

I'm sick and tired of the whole used up metal design platform. It was cool when I got my Titanium G4 and then two aluminum PowerBook G4 15's and then an aluminum PowerBook G4 12" model. Same tired old packaging year after year after year. It's getting really long in the tooth. Would've been nice if Apple had actually designed something NEW instead of just de-featuring to save space.

(Later, I bought a black plastic MacBook because I wanted something DIFFERENT and WOW! I couldn't believe it! I almost DOUBLED my airport reception signal strength. Turns out metal does make a good shield ... I would not like to be forced to return to minimal WiFi range again)

How come Apple can spend millions of dollars doing stupid custom IO (remember the Apple Display Connector? - you know, the one that was going to replace DVI everywhere?) but when it comes time to design a smart, creative custom to save space, they don't?

Don't worry about PCB real estate. There are no such things as single port USB controller chips. They are all dual port - or more. So Apple already has the wherewithal to wire 2 USB ports out now. Ethernet requires nominal PCB space, it's almost free - it's a single chip itty bitty BGA solution today. Some USB controllers also have integrated Ethernet.

Apple should've designed a custom ultra-miniature IO connector bringing Ethernet, DVI & two USB2.0 out to a miniature breakout cable, 3-4 inches length TOPS. Lightweight and easy to carry. Inexpensive to replace. Or something even more clever. But instead, they took the cheap and easy way out. I don't blame them, but I do think it'll show in the MBA sales, because it was so un-Apple like.

Anyway, thanks for at least thinking about this. Nicely done.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    The interesting thing is the people here who are defending the MBA are not the ones who are whining...

If the MBA is out of your league, get over it. It is a marvelous machine for what it is designed to be and it is selling like hotcakes and getting lots of professional work done. Live with it.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I like it. Very clever. You put more thought into this than Apple did.

Remember, you're being criticized here by the same people who would pay almost $3000 for a machine with one lousy USB port. So, let 'em whine

I'm sick and tired of the whole used up metal design platform. It was cool when I got my Titanium G4 and then two aluminum PowerBook G4 15's and then an aluminum PowerBook G4 12" model. Same tired old packaging year after year after year. It's getting really long in the tooth. Would've been nice if Apple had actually designed something NEW instead of just de-featuring to save space.

(Later, I bought a black plastic MacBook because I wanted something DIFFERENT and WOW! I couldn't believe it! I almost DOUBLED my airport reception signal strength. Turns out metal does make a good shield ... I would not like to be forced to return to minimal WiFi range again)

How come Apple can spend millions of dollars doing stupid custom IO (remember the Apple Display Connector? - you know, the one that was going to replace DVI everywhere?) but when it comes time to design a smart, creative custom to save space, they don't?

Don't worry about PCB real estate. There are no such things as single port USB controller chips. They are all dual port - or more. So Apple already has the wherewithal to wire 2 USB ports out now. Ethernet requires nominal PCB space, it's almost free - it's a single chip itty bitty BGA solution today. Some USB controllers also have integrated Ethernet.

Apple should've designed a custom ultra-miniature IO connector bringing Ethernet, DVI & two USB2.0 out to a miniature breakout cable, 3-4 inches length TOPS. Lightweight and easy to carry. Inexpensive to replace. Or something even more clever. But instead, they took the cheap and easy way out. I don't blame them, but I do think it'll show in the MBA sales, because it was so un-Apple like.

Anyway, thanks for at least thinking about this. Nicely done.

Much respect dude, it least you can sleep tonight known your head is screwed on the right way round
  • Reply 85 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The interesting thing is the people here who are defending the MBA are not the ones who are whining...

If the MBA is out of your league, get over it. It is a marvelous machine for what it is designed to be and it is selling like hotcakes and getting lots of professional work done. Live with it.

Hmmm, let me guess - you bought one

How did I know that? Hehehe... hey, congrats, and I am very pleased that you are pleased with your purchase. Enjoy, enjoy. This isn't about you, so take a deep breath, man.

No worries, dude, anyone willing to spend that kind of money for a de-featured machine needs to either take some sort of sleeping medication each and every night or do whatever they can to defend an indefensible position. This of course is all in fun big feller. It's your money, man, you get to blow it on anything you want to, so again, don't worry.

Calm thyself young stud, no one's attacking you here, we're only interested in exploring ways the platform could've been better, or, how perhaps future platforms might be improved. This is our pseudo scientific method, we all contribute here.

Why? Because we all use Apple equipment, and we all have a stake in making them better. We're all invested here.

That said, you become one of the most valuable contributors here because you have an MBA and have first hand user experience. You can tell us better than most what could be done to the platform to make it better.

See, all that Ireland wanted was to make stuff better. That's what we all want, don't we?

Don't you?
  • Reply 86 of 122
    Quote:

blah blah blah

If anyone needs to take some form of pill, it's certainly not Bergermeister.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Much respect dude, it least you can sleep tonight known your head is screwed on the right way round

"God forbid the fact that anyone else might like it, it's just a bad design, am I right? No matter how many people love it, it's horrible, because I said so."

Seriously? Because you are the authority on good vs. bad design? And your position on Apple's design board is...?

It's fine that you think it's inconvenient, but you've got to remember that it's inconvenient for you. Just because you have an inconvenience does not make it a bad design. The hinges on the Titanium PowerBook were a bad design. Why? They broke often. Having a slight inconvenience with a machine that's not targeted toward you does not make it a bad design, it makes it a bad match for you. It means you bought the wrong machine.

We've got no problem with the fact that you dislike it. I can see why you would, because your 3G card doesn't fit. But that's an opinion, not a universal fact. And the fact that you are saying "It's horrible no matter who you are and anyone who buys it is crazy" means you can't see beyond your own needs and wants and can't concede that it might be a good product, just not for you.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

See, all that Ireland wanted was to make stuff better.

and virtually everyone in the thread doesn't think he has made it better. end of story.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    Actually here's what I would have done aesthetically.....

Slimmed down the sides, top & bottom of the LCD bezel....

Moved the power button up top and slimmed the sides down....

2nd USB Port.....

Those changes plus a 5400 RPM Hard Drive & 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo and Id buy one.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    Why don't we throw in a nuclear reactor while we're at it?

The Air was designed to meet one goal: to be the sleekest subnotebook on the market that has a usable screen and keyboard. Necessary sacrifices were made to achieve that goal. You may not agree with the goal itself, but one thing is for sure: if a second USB port or an RJ-45 jack could have been accommodated, they would have been.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    A couple quick checks of the Apple Store over the past couple of days showed the MBA as #1 until the new MBs and MBPs were released, when they surpassed it... until now: the MBA is again at the top of the list. Face it, the MBA is selling. A few people seem to hate it with fury, but like it or not lots of people seem to be buying it, which shows that Apple seems to have known what most customers wanted, suggesting that the design was right.

Looking at my MBA now, I cannot imagine the power button being at the top of the keyboard; it would be an awkward position to have it in. As the width is, the top of the computer is a great place to rest your palms, especially if you have huge hands like I do (I can palm a basketball with ease); the 12" was very uncomfortable for me. BTW, have you seen the photos of the insides of the MBA? There doesn't seem to be much space to trim off the edges...

Anyway, I am wasting my time here. I have lots of work to do and the MBA is helping me do it.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Easy, buy a Lenovo X300, rechassis it in Macbook Pro silver. Done.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

A couple quick checks of the Apple Store over the past couple of days showed the MBA as #1 until the new MBs and MBPs were released, when they surpassed it... until now: the MBA is again at the top of the list. Face it, the MBA is selling. A few people seem to hate it with fury, but like it or not lots of people seem to be buying it, which shows that Apple seems to have known what most customers wanted, suggesting that the design was right.

Looking at my MBA now, I cannot imagine the power button being at the top of the keyboard; it would be an awkward position to have it in. As the width is, the top of the computer is a great place to rest your palms, especially if you have huge hands like I do (I can palm a basketball with ease); the 12" was very uncomfortable for me. BTW, have you seen the photos of the insides of the MBA? There doesn't seem to be much space to trim off the edges...

Anyway, I am wasting my time here. I have lots of work to do and the MBA is helping me do it.

I actually didnt shave off alot off the sides....so resting ur palms still wouldnt be an issue...I shaved just enough to make it match the frame of the top display.....

I think in another revision it would be very possible to trim it down a little bit....if the MBP can have a thin edged display why cant the "ultraportable" ? And as far as the power buttn up top....the keyboard was just placed a little closer to the trackpad so the power button wouldnt be crammed in like it would be on current MBA if u tried to put a power button on top....Maybe its just me but thats a change thats very do-able to me.
  • Reply 94 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

"God forbid the fact that anyone else might like it, it's just a bad design, am I right? No matter how many people love it, it's horrible, because I said so."

Seriously? Because you are the authority on good vs. bad design? And your position on Apple's design board is...?

I'm not on Apple's board, that's why the Air exists
  • Reply 95 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Why don't we throw in a nuclear reactor while we're at it?

Greenpeace would not agree
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Why don't you throw in a 56k Modem, ADB, and SCSI port while you're at it?
  • Reply 97 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

No video out? How do road warriors do presentations?

Big hurdle still exists on battery replacement. I know Steve travels on that corporate jet that Apple bought for him, so he has no worries - or maybe he's still using that Sony notebook of his - but the rest of us can't always afford Business or First Class.

Looks good, tho...
  • Reply 98 of 122
    Quote:

No video out? How do road warriors do presentations?

Big hurdle still exists on battery replacement. I know Steve travels on that corporate jet that Apple bought for him, so he has no worries - or maybe he's still using that Sony notebook of his - but the rest of us can't always afford Business or First Class.

Looks good, tho...

the video out is still there....
  • Reply 99 of 122
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Is there such a thing as a 5400 RPM 1.8 inch drive?

As far as the 2.0 gHz goes, I guarantee that you couldn't tell the difference between that and the 1.8 gHz that it already has.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Is there such a thing as a 5400 RPM 1.8 inch drive?

As far as the 2.0 gHz goes, I guarantee that you couldn't tell the difference between that and the 1.8 gHz that it already has.

Yes, just announced:http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr2601.htm but those are 8mm, don't fit in the MBA.

There are no 2.0GHz ?20W cpus from Intel (yet), even the Montevina version will top at 1.86GHz (but at 17W).