Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I pay MS $1500 a year for the same privilege and RIM $2500.

That will be the secret to iPhone developers success. MS has to be running for the bathroom right about now...
  • Reply 42 of 184
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

I just got slugged for the last update to the iPod touch. I was willing to wear that but this time I have had enough. I am buying a Nokia N810. At least they don't charge you for every software update they couldn't be bothered getting ready before the release of the product, and they don't try to charge the developer of software a 30% fee just to have it in the store and they don't charge a $99 fee just to get it up there. Come on. I agree that Apple innovates but seriously this is not innovation. It is gross Capitalism. People might say well you have a choice not to buy Apple and you are right. I don't have to buy into this and so I am not. C U l8r Apple. Maybe when you work out your accounting. Oh and if there are laws in the US that state you have to charge for the update can you please explain how those laws relate to the rest of the world? Australia has no such stupid law. If I was not already burnt by Apple's regluar and intense update plan with their computers and now the iPod touch I would probably be a little happier and just stick with the Jailbroken iPod Touch. But the thing is I don't have to. The N810 is made to write software for and it can link with my phone so that I never have to move the phone but can just use the N810. The more I hear about it the more I want one. Correction. I really wanted an Apple iPod touch thinking that Apple had finally made a product that could do so much. I just didn't realize that they were going to limit it so much.

At the end of the presentation Steve Jobbs should have said "So anyone that already has an iPod touch, thanks. And anyone that doesn't you would be an idiot to buy one now"

You're an idiot. Do you pay for a new version of Office? Yes. Do you pay for a new version of Photoshop? Yes. Do you pay for a new version of iLife? Yes. Do you pay... ad infinititum ... Yes.

So STFU. And enjoy your Nokia +!45 (that reads upside down BTW). When you come back like the Prodigal Son don't worry, though. We'll take you back and kill the fatted calf and all... We're good like that.
  • Reply 43 of 184
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

This is very very good. And $99 is nothing. I pay MS $1500 a year for the same privilege and RIM $2500.

I agree. For the amount of work involved with maintaining and documenting an SDK, $99 is quite reasonable. I'm sure technical support will cost more on top of it, but being able to pay for that on a per incident basis (or for a package) is great flexibility.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I do! Make it 15 million.

15 and a half million i think lol

• Reply 45 of 184
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You've made it clear that you think you are entitled to things that wren't available or promised to you at the time of your purpose. You've also made it clear that you think Apple's frequent software updates is somehow evil. It's clear that you want stagnating software with no quality control. That is your choice, but your complaining, besides being poorly thought out and written, is falling on deaf ears. You might want to head to a Windows forum.

WRONG. By the time I purchased my iPod touch the SDK was promised.
  • Reply 46 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

WRONG. By the time I purchased my iPod touch the SDK was promised.

If it was "promised" then the iPod Touch box or pamphlet will some info in there about it. But what you're confusing is that an SDK will be available to developers to create apps for Mobile OS X. No one said anything about you being allows to go from v1 of the OS to v2 for free.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

You're an idiot. Do you pay for a new version of Office? Yes. Do you pay for a new version of Photoshop? Yes. Do you pay for a new version of iLife? Yes. Do you pay... ad infinititum ... Yes.

So STFU. And enjoy your Nokia +!45 (that reads upside down BTW). When you come back like the Prodigal Son don't worry, though. We'll take you back and kill the fatted calf and all... We're good like that.

Enjoy being offensive do we. Nice to see that Apple people are just so warm and fuzzy. Can't even take a criticism. Of course I paid for Office and iLife. They are actual products. What I don't pay for is software updates that were promised when I purchased the product. If people can't understand this simple fact that I was told to expect an SDK and that was a good reason to buy an iPod Touch, and now I am upset because I will have to pay for it, then I think maybe those people were born without the ability to reason.
  • Reply 48 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it was "promised" then the iPod Touch box or pamphlet will some info in there about it. But what you're confusing is that an SDK will be available to developers to create apps for Mobile OS X. No one said anything about you being allows to go from v1 of the OS to v2 for free.

You make a good point. Yes Yes we are creating an SDK so that you can produce iPhone / Touch apps but no one with an iPod Touch is going to be able to use them unless they purchase an upgrade. Oh and users of the iPod Touch. Just because we said we were developing this for your device and it was going to be great didn't actually mean we were telling you that you would have it next year. It just meant that it would be available next year. Nice work. Again Apple loves you. You are a Donkey chasing after a carrot on the end of a sick and Apple it the guy on your back holding it. Have fun.
  • Reply 49 of 184
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Enjoy being offensive do we. ... I think maybe those people were born without the ability to reason.

Who's being offensive?

As a Touch owner, I have the same negative emotional reaction to paying for updates every 6 months, too. But when I think about it rationally, I'm getting an awful lot of functionality for my money which Apple pays a lot of folks to develop, and Apple has to be compensated for it somehow. And I don't think jumping to another platform would make me any happier, though, when I really think about it. Apple's got me there. Besides, I think by the time anyone else catches up, the updates will be less often and thus more palatable.

I'm sure a few early adopters will go by Nokias, PSPs, Zunes, or whatever they see as fulfilling the primary purpose of the device they bought. In the meantime, there will be a lot of fun being had on the ol' Touch.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Enjoy being offensive do we. Nice to see that Apple people are just so warm and fuzzy. Can't even take a criticism. Of course I paid for Office and iLife. They are actual products. What I don't pay for is software updates that were promised when I purchased the product. If people can't understand this simple fact that I was told to expect an SDK and that was a good reason to buy an iPod Touch, and now I am upset because I will have to pay for it, then I think maybe those people were born without the ability to reason.

I hear the ice cracking.
  • Reply 51 of 184
    Quote:

Paying for a new version of Office and/or Photoshop is quite different. Apple released functionality they had already developed and then charged for it. This is pure revenue for Apple as it has little to no incremental cost to release something on the iPhone and then the iPod touch. The live dialogue even said they do it for "accounting principles" - which is a lame excuse.

I do, however, agree with not complaining - if you don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Reply 52 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) It is up to the developers to charge the fee - they can give it away for free if they wish, and Apple gets to keep only 30% of free.

2) If you're suggesting that Apple should provide its imprimatur/website/web-hosting/potential for liability etc etc for free, you're smoking something.

3) Sayonara! Enjoy your N810. (Report back to us in a year, will you, on how you like it).

To answer your points 1 at a time

1) There is still a $99 fee just to allow access to your free software. Check the site:

Standard Program $99

The Standard Program is for developers who are creating free and commercial applications for iPhone and iPod touch.

(got that at the bottom of http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/ so I think I can trust it)

2) I am suggesting that Apple should find a source of income that is reasonable and stick with that. Don't slug both the creator and user just to access something that will sell more of their devices. Its just plain stupid.

3) No problem. I am sure I will have frustrations there too. But at least I will be able to compile and upload my own software to my own device without having to pay someone for it.

Oh and you must be right about smoking something. I just didn't realise how many people are willing to be slugged so much so many times. And just incase you are wondering. As a programmer I am unlikely to pay for someone to have access to my free APP over and above what I already have to pay for hosting. Also as a programmer who does actually want to make a living I thought you might want to know that if I did create an app for the iPhone / Touch I would be passing on every bit of the cost Apple was charging me so to put this into perspective I would be raising my intended cost by 30% just to cover Apples 30% (it would actually have to be a little more than 30% because of course Apple would be slugging the 30% I just put on to cover them). Also I am going to work out how many copies of my app I think I will sell and dived the posting fee by that. So my $5 app just became $8.50. I really thought people were a little smarter than this. And again Apple love you.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beingnickb View Post

Paying for a new version of Office and/or Photoshop is quite different. Apple released functionality they had already developed and then charged for it. This is pure revenue for Apple as it has little to no incremental cost to release something on the iPhone and then the iPod touch. The live dialogue even said they do it for "accounting principles" - which is a lame excuse.

I do, however, agree with not complaining - if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Yay. Someone that sees it for what it is. Revenue raising.

Also just so that you understand. I purchased my iPod touch after the SDK was announced that it would be on its way. So it was not unfair to think that I would get access to that. Not once before today was it mentioned that for me to access 3rd party apps I was going to have to upgrade my device. It was only mentioned that the SDK to create software for the iPhone / Touch was coming. So maybe a little naive to think that it wouldn't need an upgrade. But not unreasonable to think any upgrade needed to actually purchase software that will make Apple more money would be free.
  • Reply 54 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Also just so that you understand. I purchased my iPod touch after the SDK was announced that it would be on its way. So it was not unfair to think that I would get access to that. Not once before today was it mentioned that for me to access 3rd party apps I was going to have to upgrade my device. It was only mentioned that the SDK to create software for the iPhone / Touch was coming. So maybe a little naive to think that it wouldn't need an upgrade. But not unreasonable to think any upgrade needed to actually purchase software that will make Apple more money would be free.

If you honestly think you have a case then get a lawyer. But for God's sake stop whining about it.
  • Reply 55 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Who's being offensive?

As a Touch owner, I have the same negative emotional reaction to paying for updates every 6 months, too. But when I think about it rationally, I'm getting an awful lot of functionality for my money which Apple pays a lot of folks to develop, and Apple has to be compensated for it somehow. And I don't think jumping to another platform would make me any happier, though, when I really think about it. Apple's got me there. Besides, I think by the time anyone else catches up, the updates will be less often and thus more palatable.

I'm sure a few early adopters will go by Nokias, PSPs, Zunes, or whatever they see as fulfilling the primary purpose of the device they bought. In the meantime, there will be a lot of fun being had on the ol' Touch.

Fair point I got a little heated at the "STFU" thrown at me. Sorry for that.
  • Reply 56 of 184
    mbene12mbene12 Posts: 42member
    Really exciting release imo. Cant wait for the Dev site to get back up so I can give it a rip.

The question I have is how does this jibe with the 3G iPhone which most people are expecting in June or (Much more likely) July. The wife wants one for her birthday in July but I cant tell if this SDK means that the 3G will ship when iPhone 2.0 software comes out at end o June (that would make a lot of sense).

Now for more baseless speculation: I think it is equally probable that the 2.0 software will mean a 3 month delay on new hardware, think of it as a smoke screen. They deliver something (admittedly awesome) to distract from something they were expected to release.
  • Reply 57 of 184
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Who's being offensive?

Booga pointed out to me that I got too personal with the reasoning thing. They were right. Sorry for that. I got a little frustrated with the "STFU" comment and let it get to me. Should have had better control.
  • Reply 58 of 184
    Quote:

I hear what you're saying. Years back a waitress friend of mine complained that people always ask for extra but don't want to pay for it... Can I have extra sauce? Can I have extra whipping cream? Can I have an extra tea bag? It drove her crazy that people request more than they paid for, but then expect that it will not cost.

Okay, so they promised an SDK that would put apps on your Touch. Now they've come out with an SDK. Lo and behold, it puts apps on your Touch!

If you want extra, then pay for it. That's all I'm saying. I still don't see the reasoning behind complaining.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    Quote:

I got a little frustrated with the "STFU" comment and let it get to me.

Sorry dude. I meant it in the kindest possible way!
  • Reply 60 of 184
    seeing that I have been bitching a bit about this issue in particular - I just would like to know to the more alert user that I am just eating my hat.