Suppliers hope Apple Newton pad boosts Flash orders

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    cerbincerbin Posts: 1member
    I see two entirely different markets for this sort of a device.

First would be an in car solution. Imagine a device similar to Garmin car gps units being an ipod at the same time with OS X and the new SDK behind it. Who'd need a mobile TV anymore? And when you take it out of the car you can use it for all your normal day to day tasks from keynote presentations to writing notes and reading ebooks. Add mobile internet and iTunes store to it and it's a killer. Garmin is a $3 billion business so it's not a small market for GPS alone, not mentioning mobile TVs, PDAs etc. (although nowhere near the mobile phone market size)

Second would be a game console. Take all the buzz about iphone games capabilities and multiply it by ten. Bigger screen + beter specs = much better game console. Plus an internet browser, ebook reader, movies, music, all the 3rd party apps etc etc. The kids (and the big kids like me) would love it.

Anyone wishing for it to be both of the above? Why not.

Just my .02.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cerbin View Post

I see two entirely different markets for this sort of a device.

First would be an in car solution. Imagine a device similar to Garmin car gps units being an ipod at the same time with OS X and the new SDK behind it. Who'd need a mobile TV anymore? And when you take it out of the car you can use it for all your normal day to day tasks from keynote presentations to writing notes and reading ebooks. Add mobile internet and iTunes store to it and it's a killer. Garmin is a $3 billion business so it's not a small market for GPS alone, not mentioning mobile TVs, PDAs etc. (although nowhere near the mobile phone market size)

Second would be a game console. Take all the buzz about iphone games capabilities and multiply it by ten. Bigger screen + beter specs = much better game console. Plus an internet browser, ebook reader, movies, music, all the 3rd party apps etc etc. The kids (and the big kids like me) would love it.

Anyone wishing for it to be both of the above? Why not.

Just my .02.

With the sheer amount of native apps that are coming like a stampede very very soon I don't see why not either.

But its going to do both those things and many many many others.

*whispers* shhhhhh don't tell no one but.......mactouch ftw!
  • Reply 103 of 106
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I (still) want this bad boy?!

• Reply 104 of 106
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

.....I don't smoke but I know wut u mean.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Very nice mockups, MacRonin. Did you do them yourself? What program did you use?

I threw together some mockups of an Apple Tablet/touchscreen Mac (really just the MacBook Touch) based on the dual-sided translucent touchscreens referenced in an Apple patent. I posted about them here:

This concept would definitely take care of every Tablet Mac and Touchscreen MacBook rumor, but it would still leave the idea of a Newton 2/Big(i)Phone (something pocketable) up in the air. Personally, I'm sure that with the programs released for the iPhone and iPod Touch, we'll have all the functionality we could possibly want or need for a pocketable device. Like, have you seen the scientific calculator in the iPhone 2.0 software - and that's just what Apple itself released!

Okay, I know that scientific calculators are not the measure of pocketable computing, but you get my point.

IMHO, to get appreciably more screen real estate, you'll lose the portability factor of the iPhone and you might as well have a 12"x8" tablet convertible (yes, unashamedly pimping my thread).

Cheers!