France's Orange may be next to cut iPhone price, eat losses - reports

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 304
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

No such laws exist in the EU. O2 UK is telling people that your iphone is useless if you go away from their network. You can't buy out a iphone contract in the UK. After your contract is over, you still can't get the unlocking code for the iphone.

Yes it does.

The European union has made it clear that you must be able to get the unlocking code once you have paid for the phone. The networks are allowed to charge for this, Vodafone used to charge 15 quid I think.

Belguim have taken this a step further and do not allow any locked phones to be sold I am led to believe.
  • Reply 302 of 304
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Yes it does.

The European union has made it clear that you must be able to get the unlocking code once you have paid for the phone. The networks are allowed to charge for this, Vodafone used to charge 15 quid I think.

Belguim have taken this a step further and do not allow any locked phones to be sold I am led to believe.

We know that O2 UK tells people that their iphone is going to be a paper weight if they don't continue to be with O2 --- even after you finish the 18 month iphone contract in the UK. O2 UK has no intention of ever providing the unlocking code for the iphone.

In September 2007, OnePhone UK submitted a response to Ofcom's consultation paper on porting --- and OnePhone asked Ofcom to consider clear simlocking guidelines including the specific inclusion of the provision of unlocking codes at the end of the contract.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...s/onephone.pdf

As of September 2007, there is no Ofcom sim-locking policy that forces the carrier to even give you the unlocking code at the end of your contract.

We know that T-Mobile Germany successfully overturned Vodafone's injunction against the iphone contractual terms. T-Mobile Germany voluntarily promised the German court that they will provide unlocking codes at the end of the contract. The key word is voluntary.

2 of the biggest countries in the EU --- have NO laws for mandating the provision of unlocking codes at the end of the contract.
  • Reply 303 of 304
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    ggggggg
  • Reply 304 of 304
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    So is the iphone still a failure ?