Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 201 of 362
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

And who controls the money, why since Jan 07, the Democratic controlled Congress.

Actually, the unelected banking cartel known as the "Federal" Reserve controls the money without any congressional accountability...
  • Reply 202 of 362
    I pulled the trigger too. Default 3.0 with more RAM coming from Newegg. I'm worried a bit about the fan noise with that overclocked Penryn and the 8800 GS in there (I had a Rev A G5 iMac and that fan was annoying), but we'll see what happens.

I do a lot of photography too so I'm a bit scared about the screen, but I've got a second screen I'll have hooked up so I can just use that one if it's a problem. I just couldn't see buying a Mac Proverkill when the cost difference is the same as a plasma TV for the living room...

Should be a nice upgrade from my 1.66 Core Duo Mini.
  • Reply 203 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

?am I right?

As they say, "Ignorance is bliss.'

My apologies for interrupting you karma.

I would appreciate if you didn't bother to thank me.
  • Reply 204 of 362
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    for Price conscious (not so spec conscious) buyers apple online store now with clearance of previous generation iMacs with 200 bucks off, oh well amazon also has some good deal...

why macbook pro not clearing for almost three months (apple online store clearance section)? are we really in recession? really?
  • Reply 205 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

for Price conscious (not so spec conscious) buyers apple online store now with clearance of previous generation iMacs with 200 bucks off, oh well amazon also has some good deal...

why macbook pro not clearing for almost three months (apple online store clearance section)? are we really in recession? really?

Or MacMall Save $100 to $195, plus free Parallels Desktop and Epson Stylus Printer for the New iMac!

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/famil...wt.mc_id=22699
  • Reply 206 of 362
    yeah they have good deals for close-out models too
  • Reply 207 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

Actually, the unelected banking cartel known as the "Federal" Reserve controls the money without any congressional accountability...

Lack of understanding here, in a big way.
  • Reply 208 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Or MacMall Save $100 to $195, plus free Parallels Desktop and Epson Stylus Printer for the New iMac!

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/famil...wt.mc_id=22699

At the end of the week, after I see that there aren't any problems that would affect us, Im planning in buying two 3.06 GHz models from them.

It's just too bad they do that mail in rebate crap.

But, we sure can use two really shitty printers to go with our other five printers!
  • Reply 209 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Lack of understanding here, in a big way.

Not really. The Federal Reserve is not federal, that is a fact. We do not elect the board of governors, that is also a fact. They also do not technically answer to the government since they aren't really a branch of the federal government and only pose as such, also a fact. They are not accountable to the public since no policy meetings are televised or made public in any way. If you would like to tell me how I lack understanding in a big way when I made ONE statement, then lose the arrogance and tell me what you are referring to. Whatever, this is off topic anyway.
  • Reply 210 of 362
    Quote:

At the end of the week, after I see that there aren't any problems that would affect us, Im planning in buying two 3.06 GHz models from them.

But, we sure can use two really shitty printers to go with our other five printers!

mel, do tell us how is the performance once you got one...

cannot wait to see the internals (tear down photos) what CPU and GPU, mobo it uses...
  • Reply 211 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I thought they were one of the two major Mac retailers known to renege on their rebates.
  • Reply 212 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

Not really. The Federal Reserve is not federal, that is a fact. We do not elect the board of governors, that is also a fact. They also do not technically answer to the government since they aren't really a branch of the federal government and only pose as such, also a fact. They are not accountable to the public since no policy meetings are televised or made public in any way. Whatever else you read into what I said is up for debate, but I said nothing that is untrue. If you would like to debate my economics professors be my guest.

While you have your basic facts about what it is, you don't have the understanding of why.

The entire concept of the Fed is to insulate it from political interference. Both from the President, and Congress. That's why the terms are long, and they can do what they have to do away from the public, and governmental eyes.

While the system isn't perfect, it works pretty well.

That's why the Treasury department exists as a separate department.

You might have noticed that most countries have copied the concept of the Fed. Europe has their own version, which is also independent.
  • Reply 213 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

mel, do tell us how is the performance once you got one...

cannot wait to see the internals (tear down photos) what CPU and GPU, mobo it uses...

Sure, I'll be doing the tests anyway.

But I don't plan on tearing them apart. Both my wife and daughter would get real upset real fast.
  • Reply 214 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought they were one of the two major Mac retailers known to renege on their rebates.

I don't know. I've bought stuff from them in the past without problems, but none had rebates. Which is the other?
  • Reply 215 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't know. I've bought stuff from them in the past without problems, but none had rebates. Which is the other?

I think the other's name ends in the word "Connection"
  • Reply 216 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the other's name ends in the word "Connection"

Wow! You seem reticent.

I've had the same experience with them, so I don't know there either.

I just hope it's not a problem. I don't mind saving $200 if it doesn't take any work.
  • Reply 217 of 362
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

1. Consumers also suffer from reflections, the fact they don't recognise what the problem is is irrelevant. As is the spurious suggestion that they are the ones who will be watching movies (video editors anyone?) not web browsing, or trying to read text documents and emails through the reflections.

2. How does NOT putting the glass on which is an extra, adds to the weight and complexity of fittings etc make for "additional complexity"?

3. How come it is possible to choose screens on the MacBook following your logic?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 218 of 362
    Quote:

Sure, I'll be doing the tests anyway.

But I don't plan on tearing them apart. Both my wife and daughter would get real upset real fast.

sure

ifixit or macnn or anandtech will do that
  • Reply 219 of 362
    Quote:

While you have your basic facts about what it is, you don't have the understanding of why.

The entire concept of the Fed is to insulate it from political interference. Both from the President, and Congress. That's why the terms are long, and they can do what they have to do away from the public, and governmental eyes.

While the system isn't perfect, it works pretty well.

That's why the Treasury department exists as a separate department.

You might have noticed that most countries have copied the concept of the Fed. Europe has their own version, which is also independent.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your answer, however, I made one statement... how do you know what I lack in understanding about how it came to be based on that? I understand the concept of the Fed and how it is protected from political and public scrutiny. It IS beneficial.. but for who? For the bankers or for the people? That is rhetorical btw... this probably isn't the place for this type of debate but thanks for taking the time to expand on what you meant in your reply to me.
  • Reply 220 of 362
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Am I the only one who doesn't see any sort of point to the 3.06GHz model? A 13% clockspeed difference isn't going to be visible with anything other than an artificial benchmark. It remains to be seen if the faster processor results in increased noise, but even if it doesn't, $200 for an imperceptible difference sounds like a lot. I understand there is such a thing as wanting all the power you can get, but then you have no business buying an iMac.

While we're at it, why does Apple announce GHz to second desimal now? Those who care about 0.09 GHz are going to be people who'd really prefer to know the exact model of the processor, maybe graphics chip clockspeeds - neither of which Apple publishes.