Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 261 of 362
    This glossy vs. matte screen debate will never end, it's like a political or religious debate. That being said I can see the benefits of both. I am a graphic designer by trade so the visual elements of my machines are important. I have a matte screen on my MBP which is fine by me because it is what I have always used. On the other hand I have the 24" glossy screen on my imac and I love it. If the new imacs would have come with a glossy vs. matte option I would have opted for the glossy.

I have never had a problem with excessive glare or reflection, I suspect those that do are working directly in front of an open window or below an intense light source. Once you key in on the reflections I'm sure it is hard to become numb to them. I imagine it being comparable to listening to a presentation and noticing the speaker saying "umm" after every third word...once you key in on it you can't help but be annoyed.
  • Reply 262 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

Hi Mel

I'll be doing up to 32 channels in Pro Tools and Logic 8

will be using Reason 4 with Waves and URS plugins.

what you think?

thanks,

Charles

While I did work in 8 channels a while ago with PPC G4 machines using Waves, and had no problems, I'm not personally familiar with the URS product.

I have also done 16 channels in Pro Tools on my dual 2 GHz G5 Powermac, also with Waves, and other products, also without a problem.

I've found that those I know are using Pro Tools with 24 and more channels with some heavy mods, and are doing it with dual, and four core Intel Mac Pro's without any difficulties, but 8 GB is the norm.

I do think that 32 channels might be pushing the 2.4 GHz product. It's difficult to say if the faster machines would be good here.

If you use Pro Tools you can ask what they think over there, as they are very helpful. They are often testing machines.

As for Logic, I have it, but haven't used it for too much. I'm not sure who at Apple might be able to help out on this.
  • Reply 263 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think both ways are sub-par for these reasons. My CRTs have something on them that's got a multicoating effect, and they weren't necessarily high end. I have a Viewsonic, an IBM, Compaq and Sony monitor that have it. It's smooth glass but cancels out most glare.

In the "old" days, coating a screen was impossible, due to the technology's cost. Later on, it began to happen.
  • Reply 264 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

This glossy vs. matte screen debate will never end, it's like a political or religious debate. That being said I can see the benefits of both. I am a graphic designer by trade so the visual elements of my machines are important. I have a matte screen on my MBP which is fine by me because it is what I have always used. On the other hand I have the 24" glossy screen on my imac and I love it. If the new imacs would have come with a glossy vs. matte option I would have opted for the glossy.

I have never had a problem with excessive glare or reflection, I suspect those that do are working directly in front of an open window or below an intense light source. Once you key in on the reflections I'm sure it is hard to become numb to them. I imagine it being comparable to listening to a presentation and noticing the speaker saying "umm" after every third word...once you key in on it you can't help but be annoyed.

In all but the highest situations, standards have really dropped. It's too bad.

At home, we get this crowd that thinks, "This is my room, man, I ain't gonna do nuttin'. It's 'cause I like it that way."

I guess we have to give up on them.
  • Reply 265 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In the "old" days, coating a screen was impossible, due to the technology's cost. Later on, it began to happen.

I do have hope for LCDs though. My newest camcorder has an LCD screen that has a similar look. The screen is even useable outdoors.
  • Reply 266 of 362
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

the link you've shown does not prove nor disprove your statement "worse screen in computer history"

While I do see reflections on the screen, that comes from the placement and ambient light of the room.

More to the point that is not the screen, but the glass cover that this guy hates.

They should think before they write.
  • Reply 267 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

More to the point that is not the screen, but the glass cover that this guy hates.

They should think before they write.

More to the point, anyone who puts their monitor directly opposite a window knowing it isn't a matte surface is an idiot.
  • Reply 268 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    MacWorld has posted their preliminary benchmarks. The 3.06GHz iMac is a great alternative to a Mac Pro if you aren't interested in upgrading. I was surprised at how poorly the new 2.4GHz iMac did again the Aug 2007 2.4Ghz iMac.
  • Reply 269 of 362
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Nice link Solipism.

The 3ghz iMac looks like a helluva machine if you're not hung up on the display.
  • Reply 270 of 362
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MacWorld has posted their preliminary benchmarks. The 3.06GHz iMac is a great alternative to a Mac Pro if you aren't interested in upgrading. I was surprised at how poorly the new 2.4GHz iMac did again the Aug 2007 2.4Ghz iMac.

The old 2.4GHz model they tested was a mid-level model with 2GB of RAM and Radeon 2600 graphics, vs. the new low-end model with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 2400. That's why it did better.
  • Reply 271 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The old 2.4GHz model they tested was a mid-level model with 2GB of RAM and Radeon 2600 graphics, vs. the new low-end model with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 2400. That's why it did better.

True, but I thought the 800Mhz RAM, 1066MHz FSB and 6MB L2 Cache would affect non-GPU intensive apps more positively.
  • Reply 272 of 362
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

True, but I thought the 800Mhz RAM, 1066MHz FSB and 6MB L2 Cache would affect non-GPU intensive apps more positively.

The new model did 9.5% better in the MPEG compression test despite the same CPU clock speed. Seems pretty good to me.
  • Reply 273 of 362
    Quote:

These things don't have as much influence as you might think.

Most work doesn't stress the memory subsystems. When it does, then there will be a difference. Otherwise, clock speed is in an overbearing position.
  • Reply 274 of 362
    Here is a Geekbenck rating of all 4 new iMac models.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The new model did 9.5% better in the MPEG compression test despite the same CPU clock speed. Seems pretty good to me.

Point taken.
  • Reply 275 of 362
    You have to hold down the Control key (or right click) and choose to open in a new window or tab when you click the Edit button.

• Reply 276 of 362
    Well, strange as it may seem, I've just ordered two 4 GB RAM upgrades for the 3.06 24" iMac's from OWC I haven't as yet ordered.

I'm awaiting some word on these machines on Macfixit, and MacInTouch first, to see if any little problems that will affect their use shows up.
  • Reply 277 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

More to the point, anyone who puts their monitor directly opposite a window knowing it isn't a matte surface is an idiot.

I wouldn't go that far, but?.

I would rephrase it to?anyone who puts their monitor, gloss or matte directly opposite a window, and complains about the glare or reflection is just ignorant.

Interesting that I can walk into some of the biggest ad agencies in the world, with dozens of monitors, both matte and glossy, and find some are preferred over others for whatever reason. However, there was never a rule that it is a 'must be this type of screen only. Although the main board rooms, particularly for client meeting/presentations were invariably furnished with gloss screens. In any even, if anybody did complain, it was a, "?turn or tilt the damn thing stupid."

Also interesting that many of the complaints about the glossy screens come from people that have never even seen one, let alone used one, yet come across like they had a PhD in Physics. Those that have had or are having issues, perhaps a little direction will help.

For sure you don't put your TV in opposite the front window. Most cases, you turn down or even turn off all the lights when you are watching a movie. Ever notice that most TVs were placed below eye level. Only recently with plasma and LCD screens did wall mounting and thus positioning the screen above eye level become popular. And when we got our first one, remember how much we had to re-adjust our room lights and curtains. For those of you that still have a drive-in theatre nearby, check out how the movie screen is placed relative to where the sun sets.

And, one other suggestion, there are a lot of web sites that will help, including Apple: http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/vision.html (I would personally recommend that everybody bookmark it and check it over once in awhile, particularly after you have rearranged your monitor/office/furnishings.

In addition, if you have the luxury to visit an Apple store, don't make your final screen choice or negate one because of the glare or reflection observed while standing in front of it. Have it put or position yourself as it/you would be ideally placed/recommended. In most cases, the Apple stores are so lit that tilting the screen will be sufficient to reduce glare. However, if Apple were to do what Sony does to display their highend screens, a 'dark' room would be really show off the beauty of the iMac.
  • Reply 278 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I wouldn't go that far, but?.

I would rephrase it to?anyone who puts their monitor, gloss or matte directly opposite a window, and complains about the glare or reflection is just ignorant.

Interesting that I can walk into some of the biggest ad agencies in the world, with dozens of monitors, both matte and glossy, and find some are preferred over others for whatever reason. However, there was never a rule that it is a 'must be this type of screen only. Although the main board rooms, particularly for client meeting/presentations were invariably furnished with gloss screens. In any even, if anybody did complain, it was a, "?turn or tilt the damn thing stupid."

Also interesting that many of the complaints about the glossy screens come from people that have never even seen one, let alone used one, yet come across like they had a PhD in Physics. Those that have had or are having issues, perhaps a little direction will help.

For sure you don't put your TV in opposite the front window. Most cases, you turn down or even turn off all the lights when you are watching a movie. Ever notice that most TVs were placed below eye level. Only recently with plasma and LCD screens did wall mounting and thus positioning the screen above eye level become popular. And when we got our first one, remember how much we had to re-adjust our room lights and curtains. For those of you that still have a drive-in theatre nearby, check out how the movie screen is placed relative to where the sun sets.

And, one other suggestion, there are a lot of web sites that will help, including Apple: http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/vision.html (I would personally recommend that everybody bookmark it and check it over once in awhile, particularly after you have rearranged your monitor/office/furnishings.

In addition, if you have the luxury to visit an Apple store, don't make your final screen choice or negate one because of the glare or reflection observed while standing in front of it. Have it put or position yourself as it/you would be ideally placed/recommended. In most cases, the Apple stores are so lit that tilting the screen will be sufficient to reduce glare. However, if Apple were to do what Sony does to display their highend screens, a 'dark' room would be really show off the beauty of the iMac.

I was intentionally inciteful to challenge people to actually think before they do their usual, as you pointed out with the dig on Physics, speaking as if they are the Oracles for the Monitor World.

Give me a glossy, glive me a matte. Glossy is nice to be able to not worry about damaging the screen when you are touching it--inevitably so when you are trying to explain something to someone.

I want better quality LCD Panels as the baseline for computer systems.

The junk they are dumping on the industry and pawning them off as HD makes me wanna throw up.

It's their little scam to recoup any and all R&D on LCD panel development. It floods the market and eliminates CRT displays and forces everyone to then pay a hefty price if they want a color quality display.
  • Reply 279 of 362
    Quote:

I was intentionally inciteful to challenge people to actually think before they do their usual, as you pointed out with the dig on Physics, speaking as if they are the Oracles for the Monitor World.

Give me a glossy, glive me a matte. Glossy is nice to be able to not worry about damaging the screen when you are touching it--inevitably so when you are trying to explain something to someone.

I want better quality LCD Panels as the baseline for computer systems.

The junk they are dumping on the industry and pawning them off as HD makes me wanna throw up.

It's their little scam to recoup any and all R&D on LCD panel development. It floods the market and eliminates CRT displays and forces everyone to then pay a hefty price if they want a color quality display.

Unfortunately, right now we are a bad period, monitorwise. LCD is a compromise. I just can't wait until we can get OLEDs.

I've seen the Sony OLED Tv, and it is amazing, and I don't say that often.
  • Reply 280 of 362
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

sure

ifixit or macnn or anandtech will do that

So has anyone torn the new iMacs apart yet?