Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
today I ordered my new iMac 24" 2.4ghz with 2gb of ram and got the wireless keyboard and mouse.

I am wondering if apple updates the iMacs can I send mine in becuase I probably won't get mine for 3-5 days and the updates would come on Tuesday.

If I can send it I'm what do I have to do and how can I do it.

Also if they changes the ram to 2gb standard do I get 100 back because I updated it

Please help

apple udated ti to the new imacs at no aditional cost,

i now got this:

24" imac 2.8ghz, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd, 256mb ati graphics card and wireless keyboard and mouse.

**also from amazon for 200 dollars less than what apple charges i got the logitech z-5500 digital 5.1 surround sound speakers. they look very nice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

today I ordered my new iMac 24" 2.4ghz with 2gb of ram and got the wireless keyboard and mouse.

I am wondering if apple updates the iMacs can I send mine in becuase I probably won't get mine for 3-5 days and the updates would come on Tuesday.

Also if they changes the ram to 2gb standard do I get 100 back because I updated it

Please help

Why did you order a new iMac today, considering the large number of reports that an upgraded version will be released in a mere two days?

Cancel the order. Wait until Tuesday.
  • Reply 2 of 362
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    As audiopollution already said, if you still can cancel your order just do it. New iMacs are coming very soon. At least this is what the rumor says. And it was quiet for a long time. So...

EDIT: oh, and if you have ordered directly from Apple you may receive one of the updated models. But better be sure and cancel the order while you can. Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 362
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yeah, it's out. Call apple up and find out exactly what computer they're sending you. It might be the updated one, so there may be no need to cancel your order.
  • Reply 4 of 362
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Nice bump to bring everything up to speed but I don't see anything ground breaking.

It did get a new video card 8800GS which looks good compared to my ATI in my 24" aluminum.
  • Reply 5 of 362
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Nice bump to bring everything up to speed but I don't see anything ground breaking.

It did get a new video card 8800GS which looks good compared to my ATI in my 24" aluminum.

I think its a very nice update. I would agree its not ground breaking but the speed bumps are nice. The option of a better gpu is excellent(now the iMac can be used for gaming). And the 2 gbs of standard RAM is long overdue IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 362
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Monday updated its iMac family with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn mobile processors and the most powerful graphics ever available in the all-in-one desktop line.

With prices starting at just $1,199, the new iMacs also include 6MB L2 cache, a faster 1066 MHz front-side bus, and 2GB of memory standard in most models (expandable to 4GB).

Meanwhile, the new 24-inch Extreme configuration offers a 3.06 GHz Intel processor and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics card with 512MB of video memory, which Apple claims will deliver up to two times the standard performance for graphic intensive applications.

?The iMac?s gorgeous aluminum and glass all-in-one design has been an incredible hit with our customers and is just one of the reasons Mac sales are growing three and a half times faster than PC sales,? said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. ?With the latest Intel processors, a faster new graphics option and more memory, customers now have even more reasons to love the iMac.?

New Configurations

The new iMac line is available immediately through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new 20-inch 2.4 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US), includes:

20-inch widescreen LCD display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus1GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpma slot-load 8x SuperDrive® with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDRmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone; andthe Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 20-inch 2.66 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

20-inch widescreen LCD display2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpma slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDRmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone; andthe Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 24-inch 2.8 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:

24-inch widescreen LCD display2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpma slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDRmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone; andthe Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 24-inch 3.06 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $2,199 (US), includes:

24-inch widescreen LCD display3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB500GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpma slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDRmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone; andthe Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new iMacs further Apple?s commitment to environmental progress with highly recyclable and durable materials including scratch-resistant glass and professional grade aluminum. Each new model is rated EPEAT Silver, the company said, adding that the power-efficient systems also meet the stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements for power consumption.

Apple is also now offering more reasonable pricing for iMac memory upgrades, with an upgrade from 1GB to 2GB costing $100, and an upgrade from 2GB to 4GB fetching just $300.

Each iMac ships with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and iLife '08.

Those readers looking to purchase a new iMac may want to check out MacMall, which is offering up to $100 in rebates (plus a free Epson Printer and copy of Parallels Desktop 3.0) with each purchase.
  • Reply 7 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Please help

Most likely if you don't do anything you will receive the new iteration at the published price.

For your own comfort, just call customer support.
  • Reply 8 of 362
    Quote:

Please help

You're totally fine. They have a 14 day return policy. Just call them, I doubt it shipped. Regardless, in the past similar orders have simply been upgraded to the bumped technology at the same price point.

But so ya'll know: Any APPL tech you buy can be upgraded, returned, or swapped within 14 days of purchase with a receipt. If you open it, you may have to pay a restocking fee.
  • Reply 9 of 362
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    These look like nice updates. And the Swedish prices have also been adjusted in the right direction.

It's interesting to see that the new 3.06 with wireless keyboard/mouse and 750GB HD is about 20% cheaper than my 24" white iMac with 2.33 GHz, 2 GB memory, wireless keyboard/mouse and the better graphics card was when I bought it two years ago. I guess the value of the dollar also "works in our favour".....

Maybe it's time to upgrade from the white iMac..... but on the other hand I'm still hoping they will introduce a 30" model....
  • Reply 10 of 362
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Overall, a nice refresh to the iMac line.
  • Reply 11 of 362
    According to the Apple Store, both the "Good" and "Best" have an ATI Radeon 2600 HD PRO 256MB.
  • Reply 12 of 362
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    RAM upgrade prices qot a lot friendlier too.

800MHz RAM, does that mean these get desktop processors?
  • Reply 13 of 362
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

These look like nice updates. And the Swedish prices have also been adjusted in the right direction.

Yeah ! Euro-prices are down accordingly (200-300? across the line). That's good news.
  • Reply 14 of 362
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how hard is it to upgrade ram in the new imacs??

what are the criteria for edu discount

i plan on getting 2 for my kids for school (elementary school)

this might be a tougher question

what's the predicted life of these, namely will they be good enough for say 4-6 years--elementary school level? and wouldn't the base 2.4ghz be adequate or should i spend the extra for more processor??

do you think there will be a speed bump for the fall school session??

thanks
  • Reply 15 of 362
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what's the predicted life of these, namely will they be good enough for say 4-6 years--elementary school level? and wouldn't the base 2.4ghz be adequate or should i spend the extra for more processor??

thanks

For elementary school, this is more than fast enough to last you about 5 years I'd say, that is if your kids don't want to play a lot of games on these. No need to get the more expensive models. You should get 2GB of RAM though. To replace this ram, you need to loosen 1(one) screw.

Speed bump before fall is possible, I'd say 60% chance they upgrade it once more before September, if you can hold out till November or so, I'd wait.
  • Reply 16 of 362
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    No glossy/matte screen choice. Customer feedback not reaching engineers.
  • Reply 17 of 362
    posnerposner Posts: 13member
    Quote:

thanks

I think you'll be fine for 5+ years even with the base model. Our first iMac (2000; 400mhz g3) lasted 6 years with our two kids (through elementary school), with updates to RAM and external HD along the way. Our current iMac (Sep06 update) should be fine for all required schoolwork through high school (another 3-5yrs from now).

The tasks most likely to tax an aging iMac are heavy photo and video editing and storage. Fortunately those tasks are not common in elementary school. The three systems most relevant to these tasks are video RAM, system memory, and hard drive space. Video RAM is tough to update later, so that is the one place where I'd encourage you to max out upon purchase from Apple to increase longevity. Otherwise, prices for both system memory and hard drive storage will continue to drop dramatically in the next few years, so consider going with the base levels of those now and upgrading when you actually need the higher capacity (when prices will be lower). For example, we opted for the 250GB HD in 2006 instead of paying an extra $100+ for 500GB. Next year, when we'll finally start filling that 250GB HD, I should be able to buy an external 750GB HD for about $100 (tripling the storage we get for that $100). Same basic story for system RAM, which is very easy to install on your own and available cheaply through 3rd parties. Of course if you have the cash you won't regret buying a maxed-out system right now, but it'd likely be overkill for now and may delay a future update. Have fun!

edit: I agree with Lorre that upgrading to 2GB RAM right away is probably a good move. Apple charges $100, but you can do better with 3rd party suppliers.
  • Reply 18 of 362
    wtbardwtbard Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

No glossy/matte screen choice. Customer feedback not reaching engineers.

Are all of the new ones just glossy? Weren't some of the previous version matte? (I may be confusing the iMac with the MacBook Pro) My big complaint with the glossy is I see things behind me which is distracting.
  • Reply 19 of 362
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Last I knew registration in a college

Quote:

That is nice all I ever got was hand me down socks!

Quote:

what's the predicted life of these, namely will they be good enough for say 4-6 years--elementary school level?

Well that depends on where your kids are grade wise. 4 years shouldn't be to bad 6 is another matter especially if they are older.

[quote]

and wouldn't the base 2.4ghz be adequate or should i spend the extra for more processor??

[quote]

If you are buying for long term get the fastest processor you can afford.

Quote:

thanks

I doubt it as this release really is for the school buying season. Plus there is the question of just what is in this hardware release processor wise. It sounds like Apple maxed out Intels laptop offerings.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 362
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Putting a huge sign on their homepage is hardly quietly refreshing the iMac. It's saying; "look at our new stuff!"

Aside from Steve doing an event this is the next biggest thing they could do. Using my iPhone now while I wait for a week for my iMac to come back with a new display. Damn burn-in.