Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 101 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

True, but he already said he doesn't play games, which is about the only significant benefit, one that I don't see worth paying the extra $1000 for the stated uses. Even for core image / core video stuff, the 8800 isn't a very good performer compared to lesser chips.

What $1000? The 8800 choice over the Radeon 2600 is an additional $150.

He did say he was going to do video editing.
  • Reply 102 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought the price of the upgrade was $300, but still, it's a lot.

The cost of 4GB SO-DIMM outright from a reputable retail company is less than $100. Maybe the original 2GB is $50, so you have a $150 difference because the additional cost to Apple for the bigger memory can't be much more than $50. It doesn't take 15 minutes to install the memory and handle the paperwork too. So that's $600 an hour, assuming a fairly pedestrian installation time.

It is $300 from 1B to 4GB. That is $100 per additonal GB.

The time it takes a repair shop or factory to upgrade RAM is irrelevant. You aren't looking at it from the average comsumer's POV.

Think about 65yo widow buying a Mac. Is she going to pay an extra $100 for 2GB and have it delivered as is or is she going to spend hour upon hour reading forums to find the best places to find quality, cheap memory? Is she then going to want to get out a tiny screwdriver and install the memory herself just to save $70 that will drawn out over the entire use of the computer? Is she going to print out the instructions for replacing/adding memory and hope she oes it right the first time? This is not what the average person wants to do. EVER! The average person doesn't want to overclock their processor, change out GPU when a new one comes out or add neon lights to their case to "pimp it out". They just want a simple system that is reliable and will allow them to do the tasks they need it do.

BTW: that is an actual case above of a recent switcher I know. I told her why 2GB of RAM would be better than 1GB and that she could always upgrade later. She opted out of 4GB at the time and went for 2GB.
  • Reply 103 of 362
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It does look like Apple has gotten the Montevina chips ahead of schedule and before everyone else. I was waiting for this to get an older iMac but I think I'll go with a new one since it's Montevina.

Where did you read that the new iMacs have the Montevina chips?
  • Reply 104 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

What $1000? The 8800 choice over the Radeon 2600 is an additional $150.

I thought only the top end had it.

But it's more than $150 difference, it's $1399 vs $1949 because he's considering the reconditioned model, vs a new iMac with the 8800.

Quote:

He did say he was going to do video editing.

Barefeats showed that 8800 is not much benefit for video editing, it's a detriment. For its capabilities that relate to pro apps, It's actually slower than some older, "lesser" cards.

http://www.barefeats.com/harper10.html
  • Reply 105 of 362
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Griffin or some other third party company should create a matching hood and anti-glare film for the iMac to reduce glare from lights and make it more usable by graphics professional.

Like in the old days of the original G3 iMac when an aniti glare attachment was made

by 3M.

Is the glossy screen needed in order for Apple to get a higher environmental rating? Because it really sucks big time if you have any light source behind you. That must also be the reason for the black racoon border - to help your eyes stay focussed due to the glare factor distraction.
  • Reply 106 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Where did you read that the new iMacs have the Montevina chips?

I deduced it from the stated 1066MHz FSB, 6MB L2 cache and clockspeed. There is no Santa Rosa platform chips that match those criteria. Though, I still can't find a model number for the 2.66GHz chip.
  • Reply 107 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

For most consumers glossy is the best option. Consumers are more likely to watch movies, etc than anything else on their computers. Also, unlike laptops, you wont be lugging your imac out in the sun anytime soon, so there really is no incentive for the additional complexity of adding a matte screen option.

?? Apple went from glare to glossy with G3, G4 iMacs for that very reason. Who wants to watch movies when you have to constanly draw the shades, turn off the lights??

I think glossy all about getting a better environmental rating only.
  • Reply 108 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think it was a mistake to not add a Blu ray reader. In a year's time, not having a Blu ray reader will be like not having a DVD reader today. i.e. a major problem.

I agree- it should have been at least an option, no matter the price. The iMac is advertised as made for HD- it's overdue already especially now that the format war is over.
  • Reply 109 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You're preaching to the choir there.

But I'll let Mel come by and explain himself.

I was going to let it lapse at this time, but, hopefully, just ONE more point.

The industry today has fewer choices in this regard. As I've mentioned before, the smaller manufacturers of pro level monitors have mostly disappeared. Even Barco, whose monitors I employed at my own company no longer makes graphics models. They now specialize in hi end medical, and other industries.

Because of that, we have less variation in what we can get for this purpose.

The other reason has to do with marketshare. I know some people don't understand marketshare, so they consider it to be unimportant, but it is all important.

What I mean is that when I was doing my work, starting in the latter '80's, there was no consumer market as such. Because of that, most monitors were expensive, and sold in fairly small numbers.

A small company could ask for a specialized tube, and get it, because their share of expensive monitors was fairly high. Their demands were important.

But, starting in the mid '90's, when consumer computer sales really took off, cheaper monitors became much more important than hi end versions. This disparity in pricing became much more pronounced, with top models costing over twenty times what the average monitor cost.

But, with tubes still being the primary source, it was just a matter of getting a different tube, which was easier to do.

But, after tubes began to disappear, even companies like Barco, which had no problem charging about $15,000 for their top models, found getting their spec'd tubes to be too expensive, and dropped them.

The problem with LCD's is like the problem with CD's vs Lp's. The technology to manufacturer Lp's is one in which you could buy a couple of machines, and you were in business. CD's require a vast, extremely expensive plant, though it has come down in price over the decades.

LCD manufacture requires vast numbers of screens to be made exactly the same way. It's really tough to have a small manufacturer get a specialized screen in a number that's too small a percentage of marketshare, even if the number would dwarf the old crt model's sales. The factories cost billions. The glass used is very expensive, and a small company simply can't get in the ground floor.

What this all means is that even the high end graphics user these days has their choices constrained by the manufacturing process, and that has been for matte screens, mostly because the older LCD's weren't that bright, and reflections were a really big problem. Anti-glare coatings were too expensive, and so matte was much cheaper to produce. Most of these screens go for consumer use.

That's beginning to change (matte vs gloss). But, of course, what people are used to is what they prefer.

If it's glossy, or if it's matte. It can be hard to dissuade someone otherwise, I suppose, including myself.

But, in going back to the '70's, when I started out in doing some IQ work for a large professional lab, the color correction system they had purchased used a very expensive 20" 640 x 480 monitor ($6,000!) with a glossy screen that was used in a dark room. There was a choice for a very expensive matte upgrade, but the images were not presented well with it.

Dark rooms and glossy screens were standard for many years for the highest end work, and anyone who does not know that, simply doesn't have the background to comment on anything other than the newer situation, which is not considered to be ideal. But, even for the newer monitors, dim, or dark rooms are still preferred, though most people these days would rebel at the notion. You still need a 5000% corrected viewer to look at prints properly, and a grey wall infront of you, with the lights not impinging on the monitor screen, and of the right color.

I'm not suggesting, that for home use, one must go through all of these gyrations. But, as even matte monitors suffer from bad seating, lighting, and overall placement, glossy ones don't require that much more of a shift.

Now, some people are very sensitive to reflections, and some like to THINK they are. Your milage will vary.

I see the rainbow from DLP chips, but I don't let it bother me. I consider my Tv to be superior in every way that matters, and I'm not about to go to an inferior design to eliminate the occasional eye blink long effect. I feel the same way about glossy screens.
  • Reply 110 of 362
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    "Starting at only $1,199"

Get real, people. The US economy is hosed. People can't afford $1200 for a computer. Apple is bucking trends so far by selling more machines then God, but the bubble will burst. I hope Apple realizes this soon (perhaps with a new Mini) before HP, Dell, Acer, and everyone else learns from the recent 'clone' news and releases sub $1000 mini towers that are OSX ready. And don't tell me about the current Mini. If I want a weak machine, I'll look for a P4 in the garbage. We need a sub-$1k mac that can push 1080p, 7.1, bluray, and have a remote control, and Apple will finally be the company to make HTPC mainstream.
  • Reply 111 of 362
    What?
  • Reply 112 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

Get real, people. The US economy is hosed. People can't afford $1200 for a computer. Apple is bucking trends so far by selling more machines then God, but the bubble will burst.

Bah, even Dell grew 20% in the last quarter. If there's a huge problem, they'd be hurting. People write this stuff as if Great Depression II is imminent, it's a bit much.

The stuff about "OS X ready" hardware is nonsense too. No one would be able to support it well enough for consumers. All Apple has to do is tweak stuff and it'll break on the next update.
  • Reply 113 of 362
    Quote:

Get real, people. The US economy is hosed. People can't afford $1200 for a computer. Apple is bucking trends so far by selling more machines then God, but the bubble will burst. I hope Apple realizes this soon (perhaps with a new Mini) before HP, Dell, Acer, and everyone else learns from the recent 'clone' news and releases sub $1000 mini towers that are OSX ready. And don't tell me about the current Mini. If I want a weak machine, I'll look for a P4 in the garbage. We need a sub-$1k mac that can push 1080p, 7.1, bluray, and have a remote control, and Apple will finally be the company to make HTPC mainstream.

This is your brain on drugs!
  • Reply 114 of 362
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This past quarters results refute your claims. In the last quarter Apple has grown faster than the computer industry at large. Posting record profits while selling premium priced computers.

Analysts predict we have weathered the worst of the economic slowdown and the situation is beginning to show signs of recovery. Many companies that were expected to have a slow down have actually shown a growth in revenues and profits. One important and very good sign is the value of the dollar is beginning to bounce back.
  • Reply 115 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was going to let it lapse at this time, but, hopefully, just ONE more point.

The industry today has fewer choices in this regard. As I've mentioned before, the smaller manufacturers of pro level monitors have mostly disappeared. Even Barco, whose monitors I employed at my own company no longer makes graphics models. They now specialize in hi end medical, and other industries.

Because of that, we have less variation in what we can get for this purpose.

The other reason has to do with marketshare. I know some people don't understand marketshare, so they consider it to be unimportant, but it is all important.

What I mean is that when I was doing my work, starting in the latter '80's, there was no consumer market as such. Because of that, most monitors were expensive, and sold in fairly small numbers.

A small company could ask for a specialized tube, and get it, because their share of expensive monitors was fairly high. Their demands were important.

But, starting in the mid '90's, when consumer computer sales really took off, cheaper monitors became much more important than hi end versions. This disparity in pricing became much more pronounced, with top models costing over twenty times what the average monitor cost.

But, with tubes still being the primary source, it was just a matter of getting a different tube, which was easier to do.

But, after tubes began to disappear, even companies like Barco, which had no problem charging about $15,000 for their top models, found getting their spec'd tubes to be too expensive, and dropped them.

The problem with LCD's is like the problem with CD's vs Lp's. The technology to manufacturer Lp's is one in which you could buy a couple of machines, and you were in business. CD's require a vast, extremely expensive plant, though it has come down in price over the decades.

LCD manufacture requires vast numbers of screens to be made exactly the same way. It's really tough to have a small manufacturer get a specialized screen in a number that's too small a percentage of marketshare, even if the number would dwarf the old crt model's sales. The factories cost billions. The glass used is very expensive, and a small company simply can't get in the ground floor.

What this all means is that even the high end graphics user these days has their choices constrained by the manufacturing process, and that has been for matte screens, mostly because the older LCD's weren't that bright, and reflections were a really big problem. Anti-glare coatings were too expensive, and so matte was much cheaper to produce. Most of these screens go for consumer use.

That's beginning to change (matte vs gloss). But, of course, what people are used to is what they prefer.

If it's glossy, or if it's matte. It can be hard to dissuade someone otherwise, I suppose, including myself.

But, in going back to the '70's, when I started out in doing some IQ work for a large professional lab, the color correction system they had purchased used a very expensive 20" 640 x 480 monitor ($6,000!) with a glossy screen that was used in a dark room. There was a choice for a very expensive matte upgrade, but the images were not presented well with it.

Dark rooms and glossy screens were standard for many years for the highest end work, and anyone who does not know that, simply doesn't have the background to comment on anything other than the newer situation, which is not considered to be ideal. But, even for the newer monitors, dim, or dark rooms are still preferred, though most people these days would rebel at the notion. You still need a 5000% corrected viewer to look at prints properly, and a grey wall infront of you, with the lights not impinging on the monitor screen, and of the right color.

I'm not suggesting, that for home use, one must go through all of these gyrations. But, as even matte monitors suffer from bad seating, lighting, and overall placement, glossy ones don't require that much more of a shift.

Now, some people are very sensitive to reflections, and some like to THINK they are. Your milage will vary.

I see the rainbow from DLP chips, but I don't let it bother me. I consider my Tv to be superior in every way that matters, and I'm not about to go to an inferior design to eliminate the occasional eye blink long effect. I feel the same way about glossy screens.

I'll settle for even lighting and color, and I like the glossy screen.
  • Reply 116 of 362
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KamiNoYadoru View Post

If the conventions of the 2600 in the last generation hold, is the thinking that they've got an 8800M GT in there, downclocked? I'm really curious what the video card situation is going to be with this model, because there's not a mobile version of the 8800 GS that I'm aware of and I think we're all pretty certain that there's not a desktop GPU in there. If they put in an 8700M GT then they can fuck right off.

Your right,I couldn't find any performance reviews on the 8800gs to do a comparison with the 2600 pro.Do they even have a 8800 gs model?

If this was going to be my main computer I would put out the extra money.I'm just tired of the usual issues with Microsoft.So i figured I'll use my pc for gaming and burning movies(14min to burn a movie with pc) and use the mac for the rest.
  • Reply 117 of 362
    Quote:

Not an issue for most. A $1,200 necessity that will last several years, be used my multiple family members in many cases and still have a resale value when you go to upgrade isn't a tough decision for most.

Consider that computers are more used than ever by the public and that prices have fallen even though inflation has brought that average price of good up. I recall when a computer was not a common household appliance, cost $10K easy and the the mortgage was 15%.
  • Reply 118 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Most likely if you don't do anything you will receive the new iteration at the published price.

For your own comfort, just call customer support.

i checked it out today and since it didnt shipp yet they fixed

the order and updated it

im probaly gonna get it so soon

i cant wait
  • Reply 119 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Analysts predict we have weathered the worst of the economic slowdown and the situation is beginning to show signs of recovery. Many companies that were expected to have a slow down have actually shown a growth in revenues and profits. One important and very good sign is the value of the dollar is beginning to bounce back.

Er, no!

We're just beginning to enter the worst of the recession. It wasn't even agreed upon that we were IN a recession until last month.

The estimate is that this recession will last longer than the average 8 months for recessions that has been true since WWII. Perhaps a year. Hopefully, we will be coming out of it shortly after the election.
  • Reply 120 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

... is finally gone.

Except in the mini and and MacBook...