Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 121 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

Your right,I couldn't find any performance reviews on the 8800gs to do a comparison with the 2600 pro.Do they even have a 8800 gs model?

If this was going to be my main computer I would put out the extra money.I'm just tired of the usual issues with Microsoft.So i figured I'll use my pc for gaming and burning movies(14min to burn a movie with pc) and use the mac for the rest.

Some interesting stuff relating exactly to that:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDI...98-52731.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDI...ls-52629.shtml

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130332

http://r800.blogspot.com/2007/12/nvi...rief-test.html
  • Reply 122 of 362
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Er, no!

We're just beginning to enter the worst of the recession. It wasn't even agreed upon that we were IN a recession until last month.

By who- George W. Bush? Since when does he agree with anything that's factual? We've been in a recession at lot longer than a month- don't fool yourself.
  • Reply 123 of 362
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm sure the gloss/matte finish requests are reaching the engineers and that they are actually in the minority.
  • Reply 124 of 362
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Am I missing something?

Apple Store Australia lists the

24? iMac for 2,726.26 A$ or [2,554.32 $US]

Apple Store USA lists the

24? iMac for 2,199.00 $US or [2,347.10 A$]

for a difference of 355 $US. Obviously would include additional export/import custom declarations, shipping, distribution, marketing, overhead, etc.

According to the Australia Custom Tariff site, there is a tax of 5% still on goods coming in over $1000 A$, plus a shipping and insurance duty added?

No, mea culpa. This comes from me doing this in the wee small hours, the brain has gone all fuzzy.

I am so used to doing the conversions the other way around, when I did it for your benefit in US $ I got it arse backwards. Yes you should multiply, which gives a much more reasonable 16.14% markup which is not bad for Apple, unless they are working on a different exchange rate.

As for duties there are none and the charges you looked up were for small individual imports from non FTA countries. Apple I would presume would not be paying individual import fees on each and every item anyway.

You missed the Preferential Rates section which covers the USA as a FTA partner.

The one thing we have both not investigated is; what import fees is the USA charging? After all you need to compare like with like. No point pretending it is only Australia that has handling costs.

The same goes for marketing, etc. If the paperwork and marketing were not done in Australia then it would have to be done in the USA.
  • Reply 125 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

By who- George W. Bush? Since when does he agree with anything that's factual? We've been in a recession at lot longer than a month- don't fool yourself.

I'm not talking about Bush. I'm taking about economists. We had a slowdown, which is not technically a recession. Now, we're in the beginning of a recession.

Bush would like to ignore that. You think he's going to say that this recession will last longer than most? Don't you think hes thinking about the elections and what that will do to Republicans? No, he's been trying to minimize it.
  • Reply 126 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

I'm not talking about Bush. I'm taking about economists. We had a slowdown, which is not technically a recession. Now, we're in the beginning of a recession.

Bush would like to ignore that. You think he's going to say that this recession will last longer than most? Don't you think hes thinking about the elections and what that will do to Republicans? No, he's been trying to minimize it.

And who controls the money, why since Jan 07, the Democratic controlled Congress.
  • Reply 127 of 362
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akanbe View Post

Yeppers. I wonder if the 20" is still the same screen with the uneven brightness and other problems?

according to the specs, the screen has not changed. And they are still stating all screens are "millions"...
  • Reply 128 of 362
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm sure the gloss/matte finish requests are reaching the engineers and that they are actually in the minority.

It is not the engineers who are determining this, it is marketing.

How do gloss/matte finish requests go past the retail sales person who simply tells the customer "That's the way they come"?

From my encounters with Apple sales staff and the sales staff in major retail stores, this seems to be the biggest objection they field. Just as in PC shops it is can I have the PC with XP installed?

The answer to both is no, you'll just have to lump it if you want a new computer.
  • Reply 129 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

How do gloss/matte finish requests go past the retail sales person who simply tells the customer "That's the way they come"?

From my encounters with Apple sales staff and the sales staff in major retail stores, this seems to be the biggest objection they field. Just as in PC shops it is can I have the PC with XP installed?

The answer to both is no, you'll just have to lump it if you want a new computer.

That's silly, marketing will market whatever the designers design. Just like they do with MacBook Pro models.
  • Reply 130 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

And who controls the money, why since Jan 07, the Democratic controlled Congress.

Not really. Congress can't do anything the President won't sign. That's been their problem. He has the last word.
  • Reply 131 of 362
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Actually, the supposed cutoff for XP is still a few months away, and it could still get extended again. Maybe those in sales might lie because they don't have any XP machines and thus don't want you to buy from somewhere else, or they just might not know any better.

A lot of monitors are available in matte as well.
  • Reply 132 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

according to the specs, the screen has not changed. And they are still stating all screens are "millions"...

I don't even know why people are concerned about this. The likelihood that anyone will notice the difference is very small. Even for color correction, mostly, it works well.

I'm waiting to see if Apple will upgrade their pro displays. Meanwhile I bought a Samsung 245BW monitor as a placeholder since my Sony 900BW died recently.

This monitor doesn't have millions of colors either. But, when I make prints on my Canon IPF5100, and view them under my GTI Graphiclite D50 viewer, the prints match the (calibrated) screen almost exactly (accounting for the difference between emissive screens and reflective prints).

Really, too much is being made of this. The 20" models aren't going to be used for critical color work. The 24" screen does have a true 24 bit panel.
  • Reply 133 of 362
    Quote:

Not really. Congress can't do anything the President won't sign. That's been their problem. He has the last word.

The President doesn't have the last word. A presidential veto can be overridden by a two thirds majority vote of both the house and the senate.
  • Reply 134 of 362
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Elections don't change anything. If you are waiting for politicians to bail you out, you're going to have a long, long wait.

In my situation my original core duo 20" is just fine for surfing the web and playing videos/music so I don't need a new iMac on my kitchen table. At work, though, I do need more power for FCP, but 8 cores is a lot of money, recession or not.
  • Reply 135 of 362
    Quote:

I don't even know why people are concerned about this. The likelihood that anyone will notice the difference is very small. Even for color correction, mostly, it works well.

I'm waiting to see if Apple will upgrade their pro displays. Meanwhile I bought a Samsung 245BW monitor as a placeholder since my Sony 900BW died recently.

This monitor doesn't have millions of colors either. But, when I make prints on my Canon IPF5100, and view them under my GTI Graphiclite D50 viewer, the prints match the (calibrated) screen almost exactly (accounting for the difference between emissive screens and reflective prints).

Really, too much is being made of this. The 20" models aren't going to be used for critical color work. The 24" screen does have a true 24 bit panel.

The photography blogs are full of dissatisfied 24" iMac owners specifically because of the screen gradient problem. Apple refuses to admit the problem, but, they do exchange models that have it. Some people have done as many as 3 exchanges, and still had the problem.

Don't misunderstand, folks not into high end graphics or heavily into photography, aren't going to have an issue, but, that sure isn't everyone. We already know that Apple is looking at going to all LED displays, what we don't know is when. Maybe the next iMac upgrade, who knows?

Some of the unhappy photographers are pros and some are serious amateurs, but all demand high quality images. Screen gradient issues showing uneven light and color are an impediment to that. They think it's a VERY big issue, and it's their money .
  • Reply 136 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    According to TG Daily, the 3.06GHz is not the X9100 or even Montevina, it's still Santa Rosa. They state it's a one-off chip for Apple. Though the other chips they list Montevina part numbers, with the 2.66GHz model numbers still oddly absent. Perhaps that is a one-off chip too to balance out the range.
  • Reply 137 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post

The President doesn't have the last word. A presidential veto can be overridden by a two thirds majority vote of both the house and the senate.

That's true, but it hasn't happened often recently because that means convincing those aligned with the President to "defect". Even if they're the minority, that minority is still quite strong enough to make the President's veto pen effectively the last word until he's replaced.
  • Reply 138 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Elections don't change anything. If you are waiting for politicians to bail you out, you're going to have a long, long wait.

He's not saying that though, I think you're pulling things out of the discussion that's not there.
  • Reply 139 of 362
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

He's not saying that though, I think you're pulling things out of the discussion that's not there.

Perhaps I should have used this quote instead.

Quote:

Er, no!

We're just beginning to enter the worst of the recession. It wasn't even agreed upon that we were IN a recession until last month.

The estimate is that this recession will last longer than the average 8 months for recessions that has been true since WWII. Perhaps a year. Hopefully, we will be coming out of it shortly after the election.

• Reply 140 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post

Sure. I know that. But it almost never happens. We have almost never had a two thirds majority that would agree on anything. It's so rare an event that it can be ignored, for most usual purposes.