Intel exec vouches for Atom-based Apple Newton tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you think they are going to market it just to women then?

LMAO
  • Reply 42 of 124
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    duplicate (below)
  • Reply 43 of 124
    Quote:

Apple is the best company around, but they talk a lot of shit too. If Steve said he takes 10 shits in a row until he does the right one some people would actually take him at his word. I may be way off with some of my predictions, we'll see, but I remain convinced that it's best to think for yourself.

Steve didn't say it, one of his senior engineers did.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre..._blog_techbeat

Not sure how that relates to your predictions or thinking for yourself, though

Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Of course, the business plan I can't envision is the whole telling-publishers-we're-paying-10%-of-what-you-charge-for-your-glossy-economics-textbook part.

Is it the publishers that need to worry?

Or the printers?

Damn, my wife works for a printer.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    bowserbowser Posts: 89member
    Quote:

Though it's doing well, what I had wanted Amazon to do with the Kindle was turn textbook publishers upside down and make that expense as nominal as buying a bestseller paperback on Amazon.

This is exactly why SJ said the Kindle is crap. When I first heard about it, I checked it out. Unfortunately I was incredibly disappointed as it can only read the stuff you buy from Amazon on it. Can't load PDFs onto it, other kinds of e-books, NOTHING. That makes it next to worthless to me, and a large segment of the general population.

Quote:

Do you know how many higher education students would pay for a Kindle-sized device to replace all the textbooks they'd ever need to carry somewhere? How enticing that would be for well-endowed universities to adopt and dispense (serving as an attractive, modern branding for the college, too?)

Not just students; I'm a university professor and I would also love to be able to keep copies of textbooks on an e-book type of device. Not just the ones I use for my classes, but also PDF copies of research publications I download from journal websites, etc. Having such a device would be a god-send, it would eliminate my need to carry heavy bulky books all over the place.

Quote:

Of course, the business plan I can't envision is the whole telling-publishers-we're-paying-10%-of-what-you-charge-for-your-glossy-economics-textbook part.

Yeah, no doubt. The sad thing is though, that they could actually lower their prices for books and simultaneously increase their profit by not having to foot the expense of the actual production of print copies. They could even offer an electronic version for a lower price than the print version because then you'd get to make notes in it, etc. which would be hard to do with an electronic reader version. I honestly don't see why they couldn't have both print and electronic versions available, I'd want one of each of the books I use the most. But as you say, and based on my experiences with publishers, they'd react to that kind of idea pretty much the same way the RIAA has to the online music industry.

If Apple comes out with a device like this that can give me network access (ideally it would have wifi, 3G, and bluetooth), keep my calendar, tasks, contacts, etc., plus let me do email and work as a phone, I'd be camped outside an Apple store a month before they go on sale. If it could play music and videos like my iPod, that would just be icing on the cake.

While I don't expect any such device to have all that functionality in a first version, it does hint at something I've been wanting for a long, LONG time... a PADD from Star Trek.
  • Reply 45 of 124
    If Apple does come out with a tablet, who says they are limited to one size ?? I could see a ipod-touch to tablet1 rename, a 5" and a 10" - all would be useful to different markets.

I would want a 10" myself - with a stylus to take notes with. I also want to be able to put PDFs on there and read my electronic books in a comfortable chair. I think 16 gig of flash is a minimum for a first generation of these things.

Being able to "back to my mac" with a tablet surely is a must.

Phil
  • Reply 46 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Just under 5 3/4" x just under 8 1/4" is a 10" screen.

Good call!

...and again, if this all is true and it represents some kind of hybrid organizer/book/iPod/iPhone I could see Apple carrying the MacBook Air styling over to this new unicorn... or, uniCorn.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

It will have a 10" screen. Taking bets here!!

Mac touch FTW!

Too big.

I just did th 5x7 piece of paper experiment and I think that may actually be the ticket... 8" diag screen.

Not pocket-able, but nothing bigger than an iPhone/touch will be.

Maybe a carrying case with a strap ("Its NOT A PURSE!")

I still want a dockable keyboard with one of these that could conceivably add ports, memory, etc.

I'd pop for 5x7.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Too big.

I just did th 5x7 piece of paper experiment and I think that may actually be the ticket... 8" diag screen.

Not pocket-able, but nothing bigger than an iPhone/touch will be.

Maybe a carrying case with a strap ("Its NOT A PURSE!")

I still want a dockable keyboard with one of these that could conceivably add ports, memory, etc.

I'd pop for 5x7.

How 'bout something like this?

I still believe the best presentation for a product like this would be nestled in a nice Italian leather case.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Why do you care?

Because I am always impressed by how rare (and difficult) disciplined strategy execution is. (As a student of management practice, I always expect some of these other well-known companies to share that trait, but they rarely seem to. It is a trait that continues to set Apple apart).
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

AMD is bleeding money, it may not be around for long. Not a good choice for a CPU for a device of any kind. Until they stop bleeding I would not consider them for a desktop either.

You could think of that as the opposite though.

If a company is losing money then they're not charging enough for the products. ie: You get your money's worth

Not that I trust that. If you're buying a windows machine, get the CPU for yourself that gives you the best performance. Even if AMD went under you'd still have a fast working machine (and IBM or someone would buy them I'm sure).
  • Reply 51 of 124
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I've been to a few doctor's offices lately and they have universally gone from slates to small convertibles. I guess if it fits in a large coat pocket it'll work as a PDA/Daytimer thing but 10" isn't likely since it's too big to be handy and too small for a usable slate.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I've been to a few doctor's offices lately and they have universally gone from slates to small convertibles. I guess if it fits in a large coat pocket it'll work as a PDA/Daytimer thing but 10" isn't likely since it's too big to be handy and too small for a usable slate.

I've noticed the same thing. This includes dentists ("I am not an anti-dentite!") and general practice doctors offices. These folks are finally catching up.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about this,using the picture provided by AI measure the iphone against this "tablet" convert to inches or cm and give the dimensions, seems an extrapolation can get us close. also the picture given doesn't seem to have an ear piece/ place like the iphone so maybe not an iphone but dedicated tablet. but why have this in the product mix any way?? i would like to have a slightly larger iphone perhaps no more than 20%bigger for the SCREEN my goodness they could have 3-4 sizes of iphone just like ipods, classic, touch, nano and ear bud

maybe this slate then would slide into a dock screen as per previous rumors, patents, now that would be way cool
  • Reply 54 of 124
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

So buy one then, they are named iPhone.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *sigh*

Not. Even. Close.

Really.

The Newton's weaknesses were networking and syncing, two things the iPhone excels at... but the Newton's strengths were exactly the iPhone's weaknesses - data manipulation, not lookup, data creation, not just access. (I mean come on... lack of copy/paste??)

Just because the iPhone is a handheld with an Apple logo does *not* make it a Newton replacement.

Yet.

2.0 will go a long way towards getting it there, I'm sure, but to claim that the current incarnation is anywhere close to a Newton is just... silly.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    I will laugh my bum off if Teh Stevez just comes out and announces iPhone 2.0 as a slightly cheaper plastic case with a software update... and one more thing: It's $200!

• Reply 56 of 124
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

It will have a 10" screen. Taking bets here!! !

What are you willing to bet?
  • Reply 57 of 124
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how about this,using the picture provided by AI measure the iphone against this "tablet" convert to inches or cm and give the dimensions, seems an extrapolation can get us close. also the picture given doesn't seem to have an ear piece/ place like the iphone so maybe not an iphone but dedicated tablet. but why have this in the product mix any way?? i would like to have a slightly larger iphone perhaps no more than 20%bigger for the SCREEN my goodness they could have 3-4 sizes of iphone just like ipods, classic, touch, nano and ear bud

maybe this slate then would slide into a dock screen as per previous rumors, patents, now that would be way cool

Approx. 1.5 times the size of the iPhone/iPod touch.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I still have three of my Newtons that I dearly love. No hesitation on my part to quickly purchase a new generation Newton. None whatsoever.

i second that!
  • Reply 59 of 124
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A high ranking Intel executive...

that dude is SOOOO fired...
  • Reply 60 of 124
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

So you think they are going to market it just to women then?

I don't think it is going to be called the iPad. I think it's going to be called iDo and marketed to matrimonials couples.