Intel exec vouches for Atom-based Apple Newton tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    Like people said, it could be a product to compete against the kindle. ibook is no longer used as a name so that would fit perfectly.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Like people said, it could be a product to compete against the kindle. ibook is no longer used as a name so that would fit perfectly.

The Kindle is too marginal a market to compete against... but if you're talking about every personal organizer company, every newspaper, every book publisher, every magazine publisher on the planet... yes, that's a big enough market.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It will have a 10" screen. Taking bets here!!

Mac touch FTW!

YAAA thats right!!! What do ya have to say now beeeeeeochesss?? Hmmm? HMMMM????

MACTOUCH FTW!!
  • Reply 64 of 124
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

How many times is the screen of the kindle bigger than the iphone? I need to try to figure something out.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

that dude is SOOOO fired...

He probably got Steve Job's approval before he spoke. Remember Apple cannot say anything, but that never means they cannot give permission to someone else to talk.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

What are you willing to bet?

DO it Ireland
  • Reply 67 of 124
    I see nothing here screaming tablet. I see plenty suggesting Atom in June's iPhone, but that's it.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    The new iPhone tablet is going to measure 3.2"x4.5" with a touch screen at least 6"x8".
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Its NOT A PURSE!

Seinfeld?
  • Reply 70 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *sigh*

Not. Even. Close.

Really.

The Newton's weaknesses were networking and syncing, two things the iPhone excels at... but the Newton's strengths were exactly the iPhone's weaknesses - data manipulation, not lookup, data creation, not just access. (I mean come on... lack of copy/paste??)

Just because the iPhone is a handheld with an Apple logo does *not* make it a Newton replacement.

Yet.

2.0 will go a long way towards getting it there, I'm sure, but to claim that the current incarnation is anywhere close to a Newton is just... silly.

So if they add copy and paste that would solve this argument then? Ok, be patient then.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:

"Oh cool, the new iBook. Is it a touch screen?"

Wrong name right there.

The book functionality could be a bonus with iTunes 8, but it wouldn't define this product. No way Jose.

"Mac touch"

Simple, descriptive and very very Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

What are you willing to bet?

Your house!
  • Reply 73 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Your house!

It's not mine.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

In late breaking news, Apple has announced the company is dropping Intel as the power inside the Mac line of computers as soon as the current contract expires.

It is expected they will utilize CPUs designed and integrated by current Apple employees as well as from newly acquired PA Semi.

Ha!

What did I say way back?

I knew someone would comment like this.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm betting on 5"x7", 5"x8" or 5.5"x8.5". Something in that range.

If it happens, i'm looking for something about that size, but a bit smaller. I think 3.5 to 4" by 6 to 7".
  • Reply 76 of 124
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:

What can I say, these idiots are just outside Steve's striking distance.

Not so sure about that. I've suspected for a while that crafty old Steve may use the rumor sites to his own advantage. It would be conceivable to leak a rumor to a site, then watch the comments, as a sort of market survey. Additionally, we know that SOMEONE has leaked his event-wardrobe choices just before the event... doesn't take a leap to find a suspect. Thirdly, he could use rumor mongering to build up hype before a product launch. This shortage, plus a rumor here or there 'accidentally' leaked by a cohort...

I would honestly be surprised if he, or someone at Apple with his blessing, does NOT play the community in one way or another. It's a perfect route into the minds of the most enthusiastic segment of Apple's customer base.

Whether we always get the intended message, or blow things out of proportion like the goofs we are, well, that's another question.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    kb9uwukb9uwu Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Good call!

...and again, if this all is true and it represents some kind of hybrid organizer/book/iPod/iPhone I could see Apple carrying the MacBook Air styling over to this new unicorn... or, uniCorn.

unIcorn... I love it!
  • Reply 78 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

You could think of that as the opposite though.

If a company is losing money then they're not charging enough for the products. ie: You get your money's worth

Not that I trust that. If you're buying a windows machine, get the CPU for yourself that gives you the best performance. Even if AMD went under you'd still have a fast working machine (and IBM or someone would buy them I'm sure).

AMD is bleeding money, because most of its products have been seriously late, defective, and are seriously underperforming Intel's products.

The only place where they are succeeding right now is with their HPC products, and even there, they are losing marketshare. And that will just get worse when Nehalem arrives later this year.

They are discounting their product, which is what they had to do through most of their existence, other than for a couple of years when Intel got caught up with Netburst.
  • Reply 79 of 124
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If it happens, i'm looking for something about that size, but a bit smaller. I think 3.5 to 4" by 6 to 7".

Ok, I've held my tongue on the tablet idea for too long, and can't keep shut up. The one feature I most want to see in any tablet by Apple is, here it comes.....

A freaking graphing calculator to kick Texas Instrument's butts.

Ah, feels good to let that out. TI, along with Casio, HP, and any of the other lackluster calculator makers, have been dragging their heels for years. They are selling calculators with absurdly slow processors, horribly low resolution mono-chrome displays, tiny amounts of ram, and lousy interfaces, for hundreds of dollars, when a simple PDA can do just as much, and far faster and prettier, for less. The key thing PDAs are lacking are the interface, some screen real estate, and, critically, a software package.

I personally feel that a nice 8" or so display, coupled with Multitouch, and a custom program by someone like Maple, or EVEN Apple, would be able to quickly dominate the education calculator market. I know many engineering students at my school who drop $200 on what is little more than a vax terminal. The 3d graphing is hideously slow, and the display resolution lousy. The whole device is about the size that a Tablet would be, but the screen takes up only about 1/4 of it. I would gladly pay $600 for a mobile device that size that gives me not only a high quality calculator, but also basic document viewing (spreadsheet, presentation, wp, pdf, etc), wireless internet and email, and media playing ability (ipod functionality). Throw in GPS, and I'd take a loan out for it. That, to my mind, would be the most fully integrated device possible, short of adding a phone to it, and would take me down from 3 or 4 things I have to carry around, to one.

As Steve Tyler said, "Dream On".
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Ok, I've held my tongue on the tablet idea for too long, and can't keep shut up. The one feature I most want to see in any tablet by Apple is, here it comes.....

A freaking graphing calculator to kick Texas Instrument's butts.

Ah, feels good to let that out. TI, along with Casio, HP, and any of the other lackluster calculator makers, have been dragging their heels for years. They are selling calculators with absurdly slow processors, horribly low resolution mono-chrome displays, tiny amounts of ram, and lousy interfaces, for hundreds of dollars, when a simple PDA can do just as much, and far faster and prettier, for less. The key thing PDAs are lacking are the interface, some screen real estate, and, critically, a software package.

I personally feel that a nice 8" or so display, coupled with Multitouch, and a custom program by someone like Maple, or EVEN Apple, would be able to quickly dominate the education calculator market. I know many engineering students at my school who drop $200 on what is little more than a vax terminal. The 3d graphing is hideously slow, and the display resolution lousy. The whole device is about the size that a Tablet would be, but the screen takes up only about 1/4 of it. I would gladly pay $600 for a mobile device that size that gives me not only a high quality calculator, but also basic document viewing (spreadsheet, presentation, wp, pdf, etc), wireless internet and email, and media playing ability (ipod functionality). Throw in GPS, and I'd take a loan out for it. That, to my mind, would be the most fully integrated device possible, short of adding a phone to it, and would take me down from 3 or 4 things I have to carry around, to one.

As Steve Tyler said, "Dream On".

Would you like to lie down on my couch? We can talk.

The doctor is in.