What are your top 10 films?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    Apology accepted.

I've never seen Amadeus in the theater, but I am familiar with both versions. I like the director's cut better. A lot of times a director's cut will include a bunch of pointless scenes that just waste time and clog up the flim (hence why they were cut out), but in the case of Amadeus, every re-inserted scene adds depth and dimension to the film. They were only cut out in the first place because the producer/s was concerned that three hours was too long. There are almost no unnecessary scenes in the director's cut, not to mention that that version has restored picture and sound, and is on a dual-layer disc so that you don't have to flip it over half way through the film, and at a very crucial/masterful cut too. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Whadd'ya bet the recorded IP address for catherine sea is a proxy server?

Proxy servers don't let you log into an appleinsider account. They don't accept cookies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by catherine sea View Post

I love your list! And Amadeus? Wow, it simply blows my mind with the way it depicts Mozart, an spoiled child in a grown man's body instead of a larger-than-life genius. And thank god, Amadeus was not a traditional villain which would be horrible. As I see it, Amadeus deserves every one of it eight Oscars. Yeah, it's definitely on the top of my list.

I'd also like to point out that you all could've figured out that this isn't me, by the fact that she said "an spoiled child." I know how to write.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Proxy servers don't let you log into an appleinsider account. They don't accept cookies.

Not true.

Quote:

I'd also like to point out that you all could've figured out that this isn't me, by the fact that she said "an spoiled child." I know how to write.

That post was exactly your style in every way, which is why people reacted the way they did.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

Not true.

That post was exactly your style in every way, which is why people reacted the way they did.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 64 of 154
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Blade Runner

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Southland Tales (Yes I love this movie)

True Romance

GoodFellas

The Professional

5th Element
  • Reply 65 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quentin is a shameless 'swiper'. I think the Avary/Tarantino scriptwriting genius was a one shot that resulted in "Pulp Fiction" and we'll likely never see that depth of script from him again. He'd take all the credit anyway.

Good point, but you have to remember Quentin used to work at a video store before coming a writer and has repeatedly said that all his ideas come from a mixture of the films he loved. I think Quentin is a very talented writer and director, Just watch True Romance, the scene between Walken and Hopper is fantastic.

.................................................. .................................................. ........................................

Cliff: Now, wait a minute and listen. I haven't seen Clarence in three years. Yesterday he shows up here with a girl, sayin' he got married. He told me he needed some quick cash for a honeymoon, so he asked if he could borrow five hundred dollars. I wanted to help him out so I wrote out a check. We went to breakfast and that's the last I saw of him. So help me God. They never thought to tell me where they were goin'. And I never thought to ask.

Coccotti: Sicilians are great liars. The best in the world. I'm a Sicilian. And my old man was the world heavyweight champion of Sicilian liars. And from growin' up with him I learned the pantomime. Now there are seventeen different things a guy can do when he lies to give him away. A guy has seventeen pantomimes. A woman's got twenty, but a guy's got seventeen. And if you know 'em like ya know your own face, they beat lie detectors to hell. What we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothin'. But you're tellin' me everything. Now I know you know where they are. So tell me, before I do some damage you won't walk away from.

Cliff: Could I have one of those Chesterfields now?

Coccotti: Sure.

Cliff: Got a match? Oh, don't bother. I got one. So you're a Sicilian, huh?

Coccotti: Uh-huh.

Cliff: You know I read a lot. Especially things that have to do with history. I find that shit fascinating. In fact, I don't know if you know this or not, Sicilians were spawned by niggers.

Coccotti: Come again?

Cliff: It's a fact. Sicilians have nig... blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me, look it up. You see, hundreds and hundreds of years ago the Moors conquered Sicily. And Moors are nig...s. Way back then, Sicilians were like the wops in northern Italy. Blond hair, blue eyes. But, once the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so much fuckin' with the Sicilian women, they changed the blood-line for ever, from blond hair and blue eyes to black hair and dark skin. I find it absolutely amazing to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, Sicilians still carry that nig... gene. I'm just quotin' history. It's a fact. It's written. Your ancestors were nig...s. Your great, great, great, great, great-grandmother was fucked by a nig..., and had a half-nig... kid. That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin'?
  • Reply 66 of 154
    I forgot Donnie Darko

Donnie: First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a dick?
  • Reply 67 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Blade Runner

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Southland Tales (Yes I love this movie)

True Romance

GoodFellas

The Professional

5th Element

The soprano in 5th Element certainly makes an impression on me.
  • Reply 68 of 154
    Quote:

That guy thought that I had registered another user just to congratulate myself on the successful thread. He'll either be deleting or editing his post soon. And in case he doesn't do this himself, i'll do it for him:

Apparently I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it never occurred to me it would cause such an uproar and inconvenience for thehellgate911. Sorry.
  • Reply 69 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by catherine sea View Post

Apparently I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it never occurred to me it would cause such an uproar and inconvenience for thehellgate911. Sorry.

No need to apologize. You wrote something in this thread, and a few other people started an uproar. Hassan i Sabbah has apologized on their behalf. We're good.
  • Reply 70 of 154
    Quote:

No need to apologize. You wrote something in this thread, and a few other people started an uproar. Hassan i Sabbah has apologized on their behalf. We're good.

Sorry but I've been gone for a while. Is Hassan i Sabbah still around? I thought he would be driven out by now.
  • Reply 71 of 154
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry but I've been gone for a while. Is Hassan i Sabbah still around? I thought he would be driven out by now.

Hi Relic.

How are you doing? Glad to see you posting.
  • Reply 72 of 154
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Recently saw The Savages.

Watching The Conversation as we speak. John Cazale is the man. Nice Harrison Ford bit part, too.

Just finished it. WHAT A MOVIE!
  • Reply 73 of 154
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    So bad they're good:

1) The Core

2) Deep Blue Sea

3) Reign of Fire

4) The Chronicles of Riddick

5) Mindhunters

6) National Teasures

7) Sahara

8) Virus

9) Timesline

10) Day After Tomorrow

Movies I Dig A Lot:

1) Stranger than Fiction

2) A Very Long Engagement

3) Searching for Bobby Fischer

4) The Constant Gardener

5) Syriana

6) Fargo

7)Elizabethtown

8) Hero

9) The Paper Chase

9) The Untouchables

10) State and Main

11) The Usual Suspects

12) Starship Troopers

I won't bother with a pretentious list of clasics. Just imagine that I've listed off Citizen Kane, 12 Angry Men, Casablanca, African Queen, Gone with the Wind, Now, Voyager, Adam's Rib, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, To Sir with Love, Lawrence of Arabia, and Gandhi.
  • Reply 74 of 154
    don't forget snakes on planes...what an all time classic
  • Reply 75 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remarkable12 View Post

I actually think that it was a failure on a lot of levels, primarily that there was no anaconda on that plane. But I wanted to see a LOT more references to other snake movies, and it just didn't do it.
  • Reply 76 of 154
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

So bad they're good:

1) The Core

2) Deep Blue Sea

3) Reign of Fire

4) The Chronicles of Riddick

5) Mindhunters

6) National Teasures

7) Sahara

8) Virus

9) Timesline

10) Day After Tomorrow

Movies I Dig A Lot:

1) Stranger than Fiction

2) A Very Long Engagement

3) Searching for Bobby Fischer

4) The Constant Gardener

5) Syriana

6) Fargo

7)Elizabethtown

8) Hero

9) The Paper Chase

9) The Untouchables

10) State and Main

11) The Usual Suspects

12) Starship Troopers

I won't bother with a pretentious list of clasics. Just imagine that I've listed off Citizen Kane, 12 Angry Men, Casablanca, African Queen, Gone with the Wind, Now, Voyager, Adam's Rib, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, To Sir with Love, Lawrence of Arabia, and Gandhi.

Frankly, a lot of the 'classics' leave me cold. I like that you have "Riddick" on the so-bad-they're-good list and "Starship Troopers" on the "good" list. I like them both as good "bad" movies.
  • Reply 77 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remarkable12 View Post

I'll assume you were being sarcastic. I think they really dropped the ball on this movie. It could have been a hundred times more extreme and ended up a modern cult classic.
  • Reply 78 of 154
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Has anyone seen MATCHSTICK MEN?

Holy crap. I was pleasantly surprised at how good that movie was. Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars.
  • Reply 79 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Frankly, a lot of the 'classics' leave me cold. I like that you have "Riddick" on the so-bad-they're-good list and "Starship Troopers" on the "good" list. I like them both as good "bad" movies.

I'm actually fairly convinced that ver hooven tricked his actors in Troopers into thinking that they were making an action flick and not a critique of propaganda.
  • Reply 80 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm actually fairly convinced that ver hooven tricked his actors in Troopers into thinking that they were making an action flick and not a critique of propaganda.

The book was nothing like the movie... I was hoping for the jump suits, but got Beverly Hills, 90210 in Space, instead. Because it was so different, I ended up liking it a lot. One of my all-time favorites. I always remember the immortal line, "We're in this for the species, boys and girls."... delivered by Doogie Howser!