What are your top 10 films?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

How about 300 -- I preferred that one to Sin City (though Sin City was good).

Well, the director of 300 was in constant contact with Frank Miller during the shoot. Also, this was color and color that successfully matched colorist Lin Varley's palette from the graphic novel. I liked it too.

It all depends on the director's intentions. I understand most super-hero movies can be sequalized, but 300 is a stand alone story.

Also Frank Miller can be an egotistical ass. He and Rodriguez had a falling out on the Sin City sequel and now Miller is currently at work raping Will Eisner's The Spirit as we speak. It's sad that some geniuses have these lapses of stupidity (see Robo Cop II and The Dark Knight Returns)...but when they succeed (Sin City), it's brilliant.

Frank Miller's The Spirit trailer...
  • Reply 142 of 154
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Well, the director of 300 was in constant contact with Frank Miller during the shoot. Also, this was color and color that successfully matched colorist Lin Varley's palette from the graphic novel. I liked it too.

It all depends on the director's intentions. I understand most super-hero movies can be sequalized, but 300 is a stand alone story.

Also Frank Miller can be an egotistical ass. He and Rodriguez had a falling out on the Sin City sequel and now Miller is currently at work raping Will Eisner's The Spirit as we speak. It's sad that some geniuses have these lapses of stupidity (see Robo Cop II and The Dark Knight Returns)...but when they succeed (Sin City), it's brilliant.

Frank Miller's The Spirit trailer...

Oh, really. Wow. I hadn't heard of the falling out between him and Rodriguez. Doesn't completely surprise me. Miller is quite an alcoholic. I met him at a comic book signing once (him and Geoff Darrow) and he reeked of alcohol.
  • Reply 143 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, really. Wow. I hadn't heard of the falling out between him and Rodriguez. Doesn't completely surprise me. Miller is quite an alcoholic. I met him at a comic book signing once (him and Geoff Darrow) and he reeked of alcohol.

I may be wrong (I was told by a friend of mine) here's what Wikipedia says about the delays on Sin City 2...

Quote:

Sin City 2 is the currently unproduced sequel to Sin City. Although specific plot details remain unknown, it is generally believed the film will be based on Miller's A Dame to Kill For, certain stories from "Booze, Broads and Bullets" and an original story involving Nancy Callahan.[13]

Production on the film has been delayed, most notably due to Robert Rodriguez's involvement with a scheduled remake of Barbarella.[14] There is also speculation that the box office failure of Grindhouse has caused the film to be delayed.

Funny, I thought Rodriguez's movie from the Grindhouse was very good in it's own demented way.

Also, he's remaking Barbarella......I just watched the original last night.
  • Reply 144 of 154
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    A Barbarella remake?

Sigh, Hollywood really is out of original ideas. \
  • Reply 145 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

A Barbarella remake?

Sigh, Hollywood really is out of original ideas. \

If you can find it, rent CQ about a young filmmaker who goes to Paris in the sixties to shoot a science fiction film.

Roman Coppola directed it. I like it when someone pays homage to something by creating something new and unique to frame it with. That's originality.

CQ trailer
  • Reply 146 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I like it when someone pays homage to something by creating something new and unique to frame it with. That's originality.[/URL]

IF the remake/repackaging/tribute is as good or better, yes.

Too often, particularly with Hollywood, the remake is much worse than the original.

Off the top of my head, I give you:

King Kong

Planet of the Apes

The Poseidon Adventure

Bad News Bears

The Ring

Amityville Horror

Herbie

War of the Worlds (OK, this one isn't terrible, but IMHO it's one of Spielberg's weakest films)

The Rear Window remake (can't recall the name right now)

Although, there are only 7 original plots after all, so I guess we can't complain too much! \
  • Reply 147 of 154
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    On a side note I'm taking a break from movies about Africa. Hotel Rwanda, Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamonds, The Constant Gardner. Does anything good happen there?
  • Reply 148 of 154
    Quote:

IF the remake/repackaging/tribute is as good or better, yes.

Too often, particularly with Hollywood, the remake is much worse than the original.

Off the top of my head, I give you:

King Kong (Though toooooo long, I like it. Can't beat the original uncut version though)

Planet of the Apes (I see this DVD in the budget bins and want to get it. I liked the visuals)

The Poseidon Adventure (Well, I didn't like the first one either, hate Irwin Allen)

Bad News Bears (Never saw the remake, it doesn't deserve it)

The Ring (I could on in length with the utter stupidity of remaking Asian films, the pros and cons...but we will have to see how Steven Spielberg does with Ghost in the Shell...)

Amityville Horror (Again...why?)

Herbie (ditto)

War of the Worlds (OK, this one isn't terrible, but IMHO it's one of Spielberg's weakest films) (Spielberg is a great director...also an idiot sometimes...see above on Asian remakes)

The Rear Window remake (can't recall the name right now) (Someone did a remake of that? Didn't they learn their lesson with Psycho? I guess not...)

Although, there are only 7 original plots after all, so I guess we can't complain too much! \

The writer's strike hasn't helped. This will be a running thing until the writers get back in synch...but will they?
  • Reply 149 of 154
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

On a side note I'm taking a break from movies about Africa. Hotel Rwanda, Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamonds, The Constant Gardner. Does anything good happen there?

No. Not since the end of the cold war.
  • Reply 150 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

No. Not since the end of the cold war.

I think you mean since the end of European colonization? They did draw up the present borders with no regard to previous tribal/national boundaries.
  • Reply 151 of 154
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

I think you mean since the end of European colonization? They did draw up the present borders with no regard to previous tribal/national boundaries.

Yes, but that meant that Europe was paying attention to Africa. During the Cold War, the world paid lots of attention to Africa. Now, no one pays attention to Africa, which is the heart of the tragedy of big chunks of the continent. Somalia doesn't have a functioning government? No one cares. Nearly a million Rwandans hacked to death wit machetes? No one cares. Darfur? AIDS in Kenya? Roving gangs in South Africa? Mugabe forcing his challenger to withdraw from the election?

Europe royally screwed up Africa, yes. But the indifference is worse.
  • Reply 152 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Europe royally screwed up Africa, yes. But the indifference is worse.

Can't argue with that.
  • Reply 153 of 154
    The Time Machine

The Aviator

Tombstone

The Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers 2000

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Contact

It's a Wonderful Life
  • Reply 154 of 154
    tjosaltjosal Posts: 32member
    Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World

Cuckoo's Nest

Godfather

Matrix

Die Hard (1)

Terminator 2

Titanic

Shawshank Redemption

Saving Private Ryan

Jaws

Heat.

yeah, kinda weighted to recent flicks...